ADVERTISEMENT

Dickert is 15-16 as a head coach

UberCougars

Team Captain
Nov 5, 2015
In his first 2.5 seasons as a head coach… anywhere.

Mike Price didn’t have 15 wins till year 4.

Mike Leach didn’t have 15 wins @WSU til year 4

Both those guys had a conference to play in, didn’t have a Portal or NIL to contend with.

Based on early RESULTS, Dickert has done better at WSU than either.

Why the Dickert hate? It doesn’t seem logical to me.

Both those guys had a conference to play in, didn’t have a Portal or NIL to contend with.

I’m not sure there is “all the hate”. You have one guy here who still wears his HS letterman's jacket and thinks he could do better because he’s a high school JV coaching legend. You have a few people who take him seriously for whatever reason. And you have the rest of us who know a coaching change at this point with the offseason uncertainty ahead of us already is one of the worst things we could do and not financially feasible anyways.

I’m not sure there is “all the hate”. You have one guy here who still wears his HS letterman's jacket and thinks he could do better because he’s a high school JV coaching legend. You have a few people who take him seriously for whatever reason. And you have the rest of us who know a coaching change at this point with the offseason uncertainty ahead of us already is one of the worst things we could do and not financially feasible anyways.
The financials are a bigger issue than that.

With the uncertainty around conference funds, we can't afford Dickert at his current salary. With the media money that we should get just from our share of the 2023-24 season, we can probably float him and his staff for 2024, but after that...it's a problem. If we don't win in court and we don't get some sort of payout from the dissolution of the conference (or, if we do something stupid with the money), we need to reduce salaries - particularly in football.

Some of our staff may have to take cuts just to keep having a job, but some of them can likely find another landing space. Dickert's name is now being mentioned for the Indiana job, so he obviously has options still. Indiana was paying their coach almost $5M, so they could get a bargain and still give Dickert a pay raise. That move would not surprise me, and if I'm being objective, it's not a terrible move for him. Gives him a reset closer to home at a program that has relatively modest expectations and is still in a power conference (for now). Keeps him in big boy football, and probably gives him a raise.

WSU, on the other hand, needs to be making at least two budgets - one for if we lose in court and end up G5, one for if we win, get a windfall and end up in G5. We can go ahead and make one for if the miracle lifeline from the Big 12 comes through...or we can recognize that that's not going to happen and just not waste the effort.

Reactions: HCoug and Coug90
The financials are a bigger issue than that.

With the uncertainty around conference funds, we can't afford Dickert at his current salary. With the media money that we should get just from our share of the 2023-24 season, we can probably float him and his staff for 2024, but after that...it's a problem. If we don't win in court and we don't get some sort of payout from the dissolution of the conference (or, if we do something stupid with the money), we need to reduce salaries - particularly in football.

Some of our staff may have to take cuts just to keep having a job, but some of them can likely find another landing space. Dickert's name is now being mentioned for the Indiana job, so he obviously has options still. Indiana was paying their coach almost $5M, so they could get a bargain and still give Dickert a pay raise. That move would not surprise me, and if I'm being objective, it's not a terrible move for him. Gives him a reset closer to home at a program that has relatively modest expectations and is still in a power conference (for now). Keeps him in big boy football, and probably gives him a raise.

WSU, on the other hand, needs to be making at least two budgets - one for if we lose in court and end up G5, one for if we win, get a windfall and end up in G5. We can go ahead and make one for if the miracle lifeline from the Big 12 comes through...or we can recognize that that's not going to happen and just not waste the effort.

WSU JUST WON THE COURT CASE AND WON 75 TO 150 MILLION FROM THE PAC, 10, ETC.

Technically there is about a 7% to 13% chance that the appeals court would overturn the WSU's earlier court victories.

But if that happened WSU would just appeal it higher, up to the USA Supreme Court if need be, and would probably win.

Because of that there is only about a 3% to 6% to 9% chance that WSU doesn't get the money.

Plus all the FACTS, TRUTH, LAW, EVERYTHING, ETC, is on WSU's side.

So the money is all but in WSU's hands right now, and will be just a matter of time before WSU gets the money officially, permanently.

Because of that WSU just plays the waiting game, by continuing to pay Dickert's current salary, and then when his salary contract expires, WSU won't have to cut his salary because by that time WSU should have the money in hand to PAY Dickert, and to not to have to cut his salary.

So WSU will PROBABLY not have to cut Dickert's Salary.

So it's NOT BLOODY DAMN LIKELY that WSU cut Dickert's Salary.

WSU JUST WON THE COURT CASE AND WON 75 TO 150 MILLION FROM THE PAC, 10, ETC.
Where the F did you read that?

The worst thing on this damn site is posters blathering about shit with no link from an actual reputable news source. How F-ing hard is that to do?

• Haha
Reactions: Coug90
Where the F did you read that?

The worst thing on this damn site is posters blathering about shit with no link from an actual reputable news source. How F-ing hard is that to do?
I want to be a fly on the wall when mik does Flats taxes now. And I want to see what Flat does while he’s waiting and hoping he doesn’t get audited.

I want to be a fly on the wall when mik does Flats taxes now. And I want to see what Flat does while he’s waiting and hoping he doesn’t get audited.
Flat would,have a lot of options of how much to pay. So there’s that.

this might be a good way to get rid of the IRS. Mik would have every agent quitting.

Last edited:
We actually did not, it's subject to appeal.

Whether it's appealed or not, WSU WON.

The appeal is to determine whether or not the VICTORY gets OVERTURNED, REVERSED.

Next there is only about a 7% to 10% to 13% chance that it will be OVERTURNED, and even if it were to be overturned, WSU can APPEAL, and can keep on appealing all the way to the USA Supreme Court if need be, where, until they would probably eventually win.

So because of that there is about a 3% to 6% to 9% chance overall that WSU would lose overall.

And ALL of the FACTS, TRUTH, LAWS, WORDS, CONTACTS, BY LAWS, EVERYTHING, IS ON WSU'S SIDE.

AND WON COURT CASES ARE NOT EASY TO OVERTURN.

SO BECAUSE OF ALL THAT ITS NOT BLOODY DAMN LIKELY THAT WSU'S VICTORY GETS OVERTURNED, ETC.

So because of that the money is PRACTICALLY in WSU's hands, and it's just a matter of time, going thru the motions, etc, until WSU has the money officially, and is able to spend it.

Unofficially the money is PRACTICALLY WSU's, and almost everyone is either saying so or treating it that way

I appreciate your concern for my taxes but I'm so boring on my taxes that the version of TurboTax that I buy comes in a white box that says "Tax Software" on it.

Reactions: froropmkr72

The appeal is to determine whether or not the VICTORY gets OVERTURNED, REVERSED.

Next there is only about a 7% to 10% to 13% chance that it will be OVERTURNED, and even if it were to be overturned, WSU can APPEAL, and can keep on appealing all the way to the USA Supreme Court if need be, where, until they would probably eventually win.

So because of that there is about a 3% to 6% to 9% chance overall that WSU would lose overall.

And ALL of the FACTS, TRUTH, LAWS, WORDS, CONTACTS, BY LAWS, EVERYTHING, IS ON WSU'S SIDE.

SO BECAUSE OF ALL THAT ITS NOT BLOODY DAMN LIKELY THAT WSU'S VICTORY GETS OVERTURNED, ETC.

So because of that the money is PRACTICALLY in WSU's hands, and it's just a matter of time, going thru the motions, etc, until WSU has the money officially, and is able to spend it.

Unofficially the money is PRACTICALLY WSU's, and almost everyone is either saying so or treating it that way
Nope.

You could be right but I would prefer to wait until the process is complete because the most recent court case can be overturned. I don’t think it will but a person never knows with the courts. The November 14 court action was just step two of a long process.

I like dickert okay but did he inherit the same mess Leach did ?

The situation in 2021 was clearly better than the situation in 2012. That said, Dickert was handed a team that had gone 7-11 (0.389) in conference play in the 2 1/2 years prior to his taking the job. It wasn't like he was handed the 11-2 team from 2018 that was ready to make a run for the conference title.

FWIW, Dickert is 9-13 (0.409) in Pac-12 games since he took over. The Cougs were 11-13 (0.458) overall in the the 2 1/2 years before he took over and as was stated to start with, he is 15-16 (0.484) overall at this point. Any objective review of his performance reveals that he is not in any danger of being fired. This season sucked in how it played out but you don't make decisions based on the short term.

Fair or not, if we don't make a bowl game next year, the conversation does start to change though.

The situation in 2021 was clearly better than the situation in 2012. That said, Dickert was handed a team that had gone 7-11 (0.389) in conference play in the 2 1/2 years prior to his taking the job. It wasn't like he was handed the 11-2 team from 2018 that was ready to make a run for the conference title.

FWIW, Dickert is 9-13 (0.409) in Pac-12 games since he took over. The Cougs were 11-13 (0.458) overall in the the 2 1/2 years before he took over and as was stated to start with, he is 15-16 (0.484) overall at this point. Any objective review of his performance reveals that he is not in any danger of being fired. This season sucked in how it played out but you don't make decisions based on the short term.

Fair or not, if we don't make a bowl game next year, the conversation does start to change though.
Maybe the mental make up but not sure the talent level if you go position by position .. both short term and long term . For example would you rather have Tuel, Halladay, Clements and Apadoca or deLaura and the kid from Tennessee who quit and would have played in the bowl game.

If you look at those numbers as the measure, sure...he's not in danger. (And, in the current budget environment the reality is that he's not in danger.)

But, I think it's also important to look at the performance within the 15-16, and within the 5-7. For significant parts of this season, this team looked bad. Not only did they look bad, but they didn't get better. It could reasonably be argued that for weeks 5-12, they got worse. They beat the 3 teams that were pretty clearly overmatched, and managed to jump out early and hang on against Wisconsin (who was mediocre this year) and OSU. They didn't play a full game until their last 2 weeks. They looked indifferent and unmotivated, and at times...unprepared. The same problems remained all season on offense - an inability to block, especially for the run - and a QB who makes too many bad decisions. Nothing was done to correct either issue. Based on the players on the roster and the way our opponents panned out, there was a lot of meat left on the bone - this team could have won at least 4 more games if they'd just been mentally present.

Most of those criticisms go to coaching, and they necessitate some changes. For starters:
  • New OL coach. Fire McGuire.
  • Upgrade strength programs, our OL and DL were pushed around in most of our games.
  • Consider taking DC duties away from Schmedding. The D was fading until Dickert stepped in to "help."
  • Find 2-3 portal LBs, immediately. Schmedding is also LB coach, but when Kyle Thornton is the best you have....the coach is handcuffed.
  • You have to design your scheme based on what your players can do. The 4-2-5 doesn't work...especially when you don't have reliable interior DL or any LBs. (granted, not many defenses work when you don't have DL or LBs...but when you can see what's not working, do something else.)
If he won't respond to those glaring needs, the heat should get turned up.

"Making a bowl" next year could be interesting. With the Pac-12 disappearing, so do the bowl tie-ins.

"Making a bowl" next year could be interesting. With the Pac-12 disappearing, so do the bowl tie-ins.

Well, those bowl games aren't shutting down so someone is going to get them. Considering our likely future in the MWC, I'm hoping that the MWC gets an upgrade. My guesses below:

Rose: Playoff only
Alamo: Big 12 vs Big 10
Las Vegas: Big 10/SEC vs Big 12
Holiday: ACC vs Pac-2/MWC
Sun: ACC vs Pac-2/MWC
LA: MWC vs Big 12
Independence: AAC vs Big 12

The Sun Bowl is the most likely one that goes the way that I have shown because frankly, nobody wants to go to El Paso. I'd love to see the Las Vegas bowl switch back to the MWC/Pac-2 though.

The only way you miss a bowl now is to be in the bottom half of 5-7 teams, go 6-6 and you are in.
But we're not going to have a bowl tie-in and conference bowl tie-ins will fill the vast majority of the slots. You're talking about pitching a 6-7 win WSU team to the Independence Bowl, Bahamas Bowl, Poinsettia Bowl, etc. Are we going to sell enough tickets? Unless WSU is guaranteed to profit, do we even accept a bid?

I don't think you can compare those situations by record alone... it's so much more complicated than that. The landscapes are different. Price had to think outside the box on so many things... he really doesn't get enough credit. His record alone doesn't tell the story. Leach had to rebuild from the ground up because we lost our innocence (and most of our talent) thanks to Wullf.

I'm on the fence with Dickert. He has done some things well, but others... you can tell he is learning on the job.

I don't think you can compare those situations by record alone... it's so much more complicated than that. The landscapes are different. Price had to think outside the box on so many things... he really doesn't get enough credit. His record alone doesn't tell the story. Leach had to rebuild from the ground up because we lost our innocence (and most of our talent) thanks to Wullf.

I'm on the fence with Dickert. He has done some things well, but others... you can tell he is learning on the job.

The thing is, anyone who's honest about Dickert knows that he and Arbuckle have made mistakes that have cost us games, they struggle with halftime adjustments and they have a lot to learn. They are also very young in coaching years and have big upsides as they continue to learn and improve. Despite the minor mistakes and gaffes, our team has a better record, both overall and in conference, under Dickert than the 2 1/2 years that predate his tenure. He has improved the program. If anything, it's a testament to Dickert that despite posting a better record, you can see how close we are to being better.

Biggs, who is an idiot, thinks that you throw Dickert in the trash because of his mistakes because he has this delusional hope that some coaching genius is going to ignore all of WSU's problems, both present and long term, and bring us to glory in his idiotic 80,000 seat stadium. The reality is that an actual coaching genius named Mike Leach, led us to a 6-7 season in 2019.

If we continue to fail to break through to 9+ wins, it will be time to discuss Dickert's future at WSU. Right now is not the friggin' time. With everything going on at WSU, it's an insult to everyone's intelligence that this conversation is even happening. To show how stupid all of this is.....Oregon State had a very good football team but they lost to a team with a losing record, got whipped by their in-state rival and choked away winnable games against the other two top teams in the conference. The idiot's world view on that would be that Jonathan Smith should have been fired....not hired away with a huge pay raise.

You’re going to pretend Covid didn’t happen?

You’re going to ignore the transfer portal and NIL?

The fact WSU doesn’t have a conference to play in?

Yeah, Price and Leach had it much harder, OK.

“You are what your record says who you are except when…” potd

You’re going to pretend Covid didn’t happen?

You’re going to ignore the transfer portal and NIL?

The fact WSU doesn’t have a conference to play in?

Yeah, Price and Leach had it much harder, OK.

“You are what your record says who you are except when…” potd
That first year taking over for Wulff , that was something else. what was the preceding four year record ? 9-40. THat was like coming into the World Trade Center on 9/12 and shoveling asbestos and concrete powder.

IMO, Price and Dickert are comparable. Both taking over after success. The competitive landscape, and WSU's place in it were quite similar. The scholarship limit was 105 in 1989, but prop 48 existed. Now we have the portal and NIL, no prop 48 and a scholarship limit of 85. Of course, now WSU doesn't have a conference.

If Price's record doesn't tell the whole story, why does Dickert's? Price did plenty of learning on the job too. The QB saga early. Shooting Tommy Trojan with the starter pistol. The duck hunter.

Context is always important. Price and Dickert look like good comps for each other, though Dickert might have the better resume.
In a world with the portal, I see no rush to make a coaching change. Any staff departure will result in a rebuild, and there is no need to accelerate this process.

Reactions: Coug90
But we're not going to have a bowl tie-in and conference bowl tie-ins will fill the vast majority of the slots. You're talking about pitching a 6-7 win WSU team to the Independence Bowl, Bahamas Bowl, Poinsettia Bowl, etc. Are we going to sell enough tickets? Unless WSU is guaranteed to profit, do we even accept a bid?
BUT BUT BUT THE PRACTICE IS INVALUABLE!!!

IMO, Price and Dickert are comparable. Both taking over after success. The competitive landscape, and WSU's place in it were quite similar. The scholarship limit was 105 in 1989, but prop 48 existed. Now we have the portal and NIL, no prop 48 and a scholarship limit of 85. Of course, now WSU doesn't have a conference.

If Price's record doesn't tell the whole story, why does Dickert's? Price did plenty of learning on the job too. The QB saga early. Shooting Tommy Trojan with the starter pistol. The duck hunter.

Dickert also took over for a LESS SUCCESSFUL Doba like HC in ROLO.

Rolo did a way the heck worse jub then Erickson, so it would be much easier taking over after Erickson then to take over after Rolo, yet despite that Dickert did better then Price.

If Price had to become the NEW WSU HC, after Rolo, no way Price would have won 7-5 his first season, 7-5 his second season, 5-7 his 3rd season.
Price would have gone 2-10 his first year after taking over for Rolo.
Then instead of going 5-7, in Dickert's 5-7 season Price would have gone 2-10

Then in the 4th year Price would FINALLY go 8-4 since Price had 2,3 BAD Years per every 1 GOOD year until his 3 straight 10 win seasons.

The transfer portal, NIL, Rolo's dumpster fire would have KILLED Price, and Biggs others would have been calling for Price's head on a platter after 1,2 seasons

You still buy the physical version of TurboTax? Does that even exist still?

What's dumb is that I have purchased the physical version in the not too distant past because it was 25% off to buy the disc when compared to the digital download. I quit using cloud only tax software when the cocksuckers at TaxAct wanted me to pay $10 to recover the prior years tax information. I didn't care about the money. It was the general principle of them telling me to pay for information that I had already paid them for.

What's dumb is that I have purchased the physical version in the not too distant past because it was 25% off to buy the disc when compared to the digital download. I quit using cloud only tax software when the cocksuckers at TaxAct wanted me to pay $10 to recover the prior years tax information. I didn't care about the money. It was the general principle of them telling me to pay for information that I had already paid them for.
FreeTaxUSA.

Quite honestly, when was the last time anybody was enthusiastic about a WSU bowl bid AND the team showed up to play.

Holiday Bowl 2003?

Maybe the Sun Bowl vs. Miami?
How about the Minshew lead Cougs in the Alamo Bowl vs Iowa State? The team definitely showed up to play that game

How about the Minshew lead Cougs in the Alamo Bowl vs Iowa State? The team definitely showed up to play that game
That was a good Iowa state team. Brock Purdy was their QB I believe. Who was it that had the pick “not” six where he celebrated before he crossed the goal line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT