ADVERTISEMENT

Did Stanford and Cal just hitch themselves to a corpse?

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
Florida St getting robbed of a playoff spot means they might just band with Clemson and blow up the ACC the same way the LA teams killed the Pac, contract be damned

Reactions: LeachPack
You can be sure they’re watching what happens in the Pac-12 the media grant of rights is what has held them this long. If the courts let the 10 walk (and assuming similar language in the contracts - I imagine they borrow heavily from each other) then FSU, Clemson, and Miami will try to follow the same path.

But to answer the original question - yes. It’s only a matter of time until the ACC comes apart too. When it does, Stanford, Cal, and SMU will end up out in the cold too. Their money won’t keep them with the in crowd for long - their media draw is what’s important, and they don’t have it.

You can be sure they’re watching what happens in the Pac-12 the media grant of rights is what has held them this long. If the courts let the 10 walk (and assuming similar language in the contracts - I imagine they borrow heavily from each other) then FSU, Clemson, and Miami will try to follow the same path.

But to answer the original question - yes. It’s only a matter of time until the ACC comes apart too. When it does, Stanford, Cal, and SMU will end up out in the cold too. Their money won’t keep them with the in crowd for long - their media draw is what’s important, and they don’t have it.
So…assuming the acceleration of the demise of the ACC, is a decently rebuilt pac12 not unrealistic. While there is plenty to joke about Stanford and cal, they’d certainly be welcome and strengthen a rebuilt p12, and with a few other pretty strong MW teams out there a west coast/east coast two division conference could be in the cards. The exercise is a bit overdone by now but wsu/osu/furd/cal and 4-6 of the stronger MW programs/markets + ACC leftovers for the EC division. Not bad. And increasingly looking like a possibility in 2 years when we really would need it to be.

Florida St getting robbed of a playoff spot means they might just band with Clemson and blow up the ACC the same way the LA teams killed the Pac, contract be damned
Once again, why is the "playoff" so G-d important? I don't give a shit about it. You telling me that the ACC schools are that broke that the playoff and TV money is that important?

Never been to the East Coast but give me a break. Those schools can't pay their bills?

So…assuming the acceleration of the demise of the ACC, is a decently rebuilt pac12 not unrealistic. While there is plenty to joke about Stanford and cal, they’d certainly be welcome and strengthen a rebuilt p12, and with a few other pretty strong MW teams out there a west coast/east coast two division conference could be in the cards. The exercise is a bit overdone by now but wsu/osu/furd/cal and 4-6 of the stronger MW programs/markets + ACC leftovers for the EC division. Not bad. And increasingly looking like a possibility in 2 years when we really would need it to be.

Unless there is a compelling team wanting to come over...I think we need to forget the ACC. A cross country conference is just not going to make any sense and I guarantee that they look at us and the MWC the way that we looked at the MWC before we got the rug pulled out from under us. Dire times make for strange bed fellows but when you look at the ACC, the most likely scenario is:

Clemson, Miami and Florida State are going to end up in the SEC. They might pick up one other team.

North Carolina and Duke are going to end up in the B1G.

The Big 12 will try to go after Louisville, Virginia, VT and NC State since they already have an east coast presence.

That leaves Georgia Tech, BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Wake Forest. No bad teams in that group...but nobody that moves the needle for TV contracts that would justify a cross-country conference. And again, all of them are going to look at a Pac-X/MWC merger as a major failure for them. If anything, they might circle the wagons and try to rob UCF and/or West Virginia from the Big 12.

We need to make do with the best regionally sensible conference that we can put together...not fantasize about what we can do to remain as Power X conference.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Unless there is a compelling team wanting to come over...I think we need to forget the ACC. A cross country conference is just not going to make any sense and I guarantee that they look at us and the MWC the way that we looked at the MWC before we got the rug pulled out from under us. Dire times make for strange bed fellows but when you look at the ACC, the most likely scenario is:

Clemson, Miami and Florida State are going to end up in the SEC. They might pick up one other team.

North Carolina and Duke are going to end up in the B1G.

The Big 12 will try to go after Louisville, Virginia, VT and NC State since they already have an east coast presence.

That leaves Georgia Tech, BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Wake Forest. No bad teams in that group...but nobody that moves the needle for TV contracts that would justify a cross-country conference. And again, all of them are going to look at a Pac-X/MWC merger as a major failure for them. If anything, they might circle the wagons and try to rob UCF and/or West Virginia from the Big 12.

We need to make do with the best regionally sensible conference that we can put together...not fantasize about what we can do to remain as Power X conference.
Well the format would be each region plays within itself with a couple of inter regional competitions depending on sport. Then you have an E/W conf championship. Best of both worlds, good footprint nationally but schools aren’t traveling to the moon during the season for all sports.

Once again, why is the "playoff" so G-d important? I don't give a shit about it. You telling me that the ACC schools are that broke that the playoff and TV money is that important?

Never been to the East Coast but give me a break. Those schools can't pay their bills?
It’s important because it’s the US of A and sort of the point of sport is to crown an ultimate champion. Same reason Walmart isn’t satisfied until they’ve scraped up consumer dollars from every mom and pop shop in every town they can. It’s what we do.

So, if there’s zero opportunity to be the champion, a lot of red blooded Americans say, what’s the damn point. That said the quicker we can get to some tiered college leagues that make sense the better. If that means we are in a second division group of teams so be it. Let’s just figure out where we are playing and what the F we are playing for.

The butthurt continues, Rick Scott is now sending angry letters on official US Senate stationery on behalf of the Noles, lolz

If only someone in the State of Washington cared that much about the Cougs
I guarantee you Rick Scott cares less about justice for FSU football than he did about successful Medicare fraud, but faking it won't hurt him in the slightest. I still love that he beat a literal astronaut

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT