ADVERTISEMENT

DL worries

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
After listening to Dickert’s press conference, it seems like it’s time to worry about McDougle and Hobbs.

There is a reason we have offered like 3 JC dt so far. The short but really strong dt from Avon, Indiana will play quite a bit. The JC dt from Laney CC (Mujahid??) Will prob play more than Hobbs and Mcdougle also.

Mujahid getting picked for the leadership Council over Hobbs and Mcdougle says a lot. Last coaching staff recruited like Sh*t on defense for years. Once Mastro and Wilson left our recruiting fell off.

I kept up with Hobbs through the pandemic and to be honest it looked like he got soft and lost weight. It doesn’t surprise me one bit

Once Mastro and Wilson left our recruiting fell off.

I keep reading this about Wilson...But who did he really bring in? Our LB depth has been walk-ons for quite sometime now including during the middle of his era. I realize coaches recruit areas & not specific their position, but Wilson did little to address our LB depth.

You like to have guys...especially linemen....with the self discipline to train year 'round.

In the real world, some (probably the majority) don't.

It is now football season. They are all working hard. Maybe a few of the incumbents thought they had an edge, but that is a pretty dumb thing to count upon when you have an all new staff. But they will get there.

We will have a respectable D line. I'm not worried about that. And we only play 2 LB's, so we have that covered at least 2 deep. My biggest concern are DB's. DB's have to run a lot in the PAC. You probably need 7 or 8 to be sure that things don't fall off too far in the 4th quarter. Yes, in a 4-2-5 you can sub CB's for Safeties if necessary. You probably don't have safeties who are fast enough to sub for CB's if you are facing a good passing team. I don't know if we have 8 good DB's right now, and I especially don't know if we have 3-4 good CB's, which is a 4-2-5 requirement. I can predict one thing with a high degree of certainty; you will be seeing true frosh and transfer DB's from the very first game. Those who can hold their own will get further PT.

Not a necessary comment.

Oh really....chatter is that Hobbs is out of shape. We all know he was one of the vocal leaders of the "unity" movement. Perhaps he was planning on opting out, didn't stay in shape, had and "oh shit" moment realized he made an error in judgement and decided to opt back in. Haven't heard anything about Pat Nunn this Fall, did he stick to "opting out"?

Oh really....chatter is that Hobbs is out of shape. We all know he was one of the vocal leaders of the "unity" movement. Perhaps he was planning on opting out, didn't stay in shape, had and "oh shit" moment realized he made an error in judgement and decided to opt back in. Haven't heard anything about Pat Nunn this Fall, did he stick to "opting out"?

Nunn is on the roster, sporting number 0.

Is he in the mix? I haven't heard any comments by the coaches.

No idea. I don't think we have much transparency into what's happening right now. For example, I haven't been able to figure out whether the 1s are running against the 1s in these scrimmages or not.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
No idea. I don't think we have much transparency into what's happening right now. For example, I haven't been able to figure out whether the 1s are running against the 1s in these scrimmages or not.
Rolo said it was going to be a 1 vs 1 format in the first scrimmage. Whether that happened or not, who knows? There is really no advantage to him sharing information so I don’t blame him.

I did not believe it was a necessary comment either. Frankly, unless Coach Rolo is personally giving you information, you are just making things up . So, none of us have any idea what is going on in the inside.

I did not believe it was a necessary comment either. Frankly, unless Coach Rolo is personally giving you information, you are just making things up . So, none of us have any idea what is going on in the inside.

Kassidy Woods not being part of the program is good for the program. How's that for necessary?!

Reactions: etowncoug
That's different, as Kassidy Woods made the decision to leave the program.

Not referring to Kassidy, referring to my comment about Kassidy. Additionally, Hobbs is out of shape....coaches are less than happy about it. Dallas should have bailed as well.

Not referring to Kassidy, referring to my comment about Kassidy. Additionally, Hobbs is out of shape....coaches are less than happy about it. Dallas should have bailed as well.
Surprising to hear that about Hobbs. Based on what I saw from McDougal last crimson gray game, wouldn’t surprise me if that was his issue. He was huffing and puffing after a few plays.

Hobbs looks like he thought the season was fully over and went on hiatus from lifting and eating. I think he’s a great kid and has a great heart but football obviously fell to the back for him for a few months.

A lot of football players get out of shape in the off season. If you believe otherwise, you are kidding yourself. Often, the player is also kidding himself. It takes a full month, minimum, to get back into playing condition if they got out of running shape. The kids you saw huffing and puffing last weekend will look better for OSU, and even better than that for UO. Should it be that way? Of course not. But it has always been thus, and will always be thus.

At least Hobbs is out there, according to Benedict Theo, he wasn't seen on the practice field, however I have heard differently, Hobbs has been practicing. I will give Hobbs and a lot of players a pass on the unity movement thing. This is the way I understand it, the whole thing was started by some former players, trying to a make a buck for themselves, they had 3-4 talking points they sold the current players on, and started this "unity" thing. Then the leaders (former players) came out with the list of about 30 demands, that caught the current players off guard, most of what they didn't agree to, and they whole thing fell apart. Sure the covid thing help eliminate it, however as you recall this was also going on in the other power 5 conferences that are playing and it all just disappeared.

Maybe someone else has more insight into this, but this whole thing died off quicker than it started.

A lot of football players get out of shape in the off season. If you believe otherwise, you are kidding yourself. Often, the player is also kidding himself. It takes a full month, minimum, to get back into playing condition if they got out of running shape. The kids you saw huffing and puffing last weekend will look better for OSU, and even better than that for UO. Should it be that way? Of course not. But it has always been thus, and will always be thus.

I suspect we will see quite a few soft tissue injuries. Thank Larry Scott, the gift that keeps on giving.

Disagree. I get what you are saying but this is 2020 not 1975. Players have access to world class training programs, nutrition, supplements, etc. They are spoon fed exactly what they need to do, they just have to be disciplined and put in the work. And if they don’t, most wont see the field or realize the dreams they are striving for (getting paid to play). Now some guys lack discipline and won’t be in shape, but the “offseason” isn’t what it was 40+ years ago 90%+ of these guys are training and staying in phenomenal shape year round as its required for their success.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Disagree. I get what you are saying but this is 2020 not 1975. Players have access to world class training programs, nutrition, supplements, etc. They are spoon fed exactly what they need to do, they just have to be disciplined and put in the work. And if they don’t, most wont see the field or realize the dreams they are striving for (getting paid to play). Now some guys lack discipline and won’t be in shape, but the “offseason” isn’t what it was 40+ years ago 90%+ of these guys are training and staying in phenomenal shape year round as its required for their success.

'90, I wish it were so. I'd settle for 75-80% overall. And while I doubt that many get grossly out of shape, most are not in as good a shape in April as they were in November (especially if there was no spring ball in April). How big an incremental difference? That might have changed somewhat during the 45 years you cite. But there is an incremental difference none the less...

'90, I wish it were so. I'd settle for 75-80% overall. And while I doubt that many get grossly out of shape, most are not in as good a shape in April as they were in November (especially if there was no spring ball in April). How big an incremental difference? That might have changed somewhat during the 45 years you cite. But there is an incremental difference none the less...

They dont get time off. This isnt lift and run on your own. Everything they do is managed. Unless its all shut down because of the pandemic.

Your idea that kids do what they want is just not true.

They dont get time off. This isnt lift and run on your own. Everything they do is managed. Unless its all shut down because of the pandemic.

Your idea that kids do what they want is just not true.

Biggs, let's be clear. I do not believe that "kids do what they want". But I understand that even in a managed environment there is a big difference between giving 100% while running the stadium steps, or doing stride and slides, or running 5 miles, or doing endless sprints....and only doing 85%. You know that, too, so don't act so surprised that I suspect that not every single kid gives 100% every time. If you do believe that, then I guess we have to agree to disagree. Just as one example...when I was running a 5-6 mile circuit every day, there was a difference between keeping my time at a maintenance level and pushing hard to lower the time. That is the kind of thing that I am suggesting. And if a kid was pushing hard to lower their time all year, then they would not be huffing and puffing (to quote several recent articles and threads). Tired, yes. Huffing and puffing? No.

Saw Theo Lawson reported on McDougle this morning that he is not playing this year and will be back in 2021.

Biggs, let's be clear. I do not believe that "kids do what they want". But I understand that even in a managed environment there is a big difference between giving 100% while running the stadium steps, or doing stride and slides, or running 5 miles, or doing endless sprints....and only doing 85%. You know that, too, so don't act so surprised that I suspect that not every single kid gives 100% every time. If you do believe that, then I guess we have to agree to disagree. Just as one example...when I was running a 5-6 mile circuit every day, there was a difference between keeping my time at a maintenance level and pushing hard to lower the time. That is the kind of thing that I am suggesting. And if a kid was pushing hard to lower their time all year, then they would not be huffing and puffing (to quote several recent articles and threads). Tired, yes. Huffing and puffing? No.

They arent turned loose. They have a coach there with them. If they slack, coach corrects them. If the coach doesnt correct their effort, then that’s on the coach.

What you think the workouts are and what they really are, are two different things. The kids dont get to choose how hard they work when theyre surrounded by strength staff. They arent working out without supervision.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Depends on whether or not he's hurt, opted out, or quit.
I agree w TC on this one. I doubt he’s hurt otherwise think we would have known. Opt out for Covid? Ok no issue there. Just based on the past I’d say either way it’s highly doubtful he ever puts on a Coug uniform again. I hope I’m wrong, just seems like one of those guys that could have it all, just doesn’t like football enough to grind it out 365.

I agree w TC on this one. I doubt he’s hurt otherwise think we would have known. Opt out for Covid? Ok no issue there. Just based on the past I’d say either way it’s highly doubtful he ever puts on a Coug uniform again. I hope I’m wrong, just seems like one of those guys that could have it all, just doesn’t like football enough to grind it out 365.

Lazy and entitled is no way to go through life.

It probably seems impossible to you, but most normal humans can manage to do more than one thing at a time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT