Dogs are done

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
It's over.

Amazing run just now by the Bama back.

Good season for UW.

I was pulling for Alabama...I have to admit.

It's over.

Amazing run just now by the Bama back.

Good season for UW.

I was pulling for Alabama...I have to admit.
Defense having to play too much. No offense at all. OL starting at least one Sophomore and one true Frosh. Better days ahead.

Terrible decision not to kill the clock at end of the half. Clemson may have a chance against Bama. I don't think Ohio State will do any better than the Huskies if it's the Bucks.

Defense having to play too much. No offense at all. OL starting at least one Sophomore and one true Frosh. Better days ahead.

Terrible decision not to kill the clock at end of the half. Clemson may have a chance against Bama. I don't think Ohio State will do any better than the Huskies if it's the Bucks.

to think this was the biggest game in the history of UW football. Really sad but expected outcome.

Yep. The pick six was absolutely brutal for the Huskies.

there is just a whole different style of play going on with Bama. They attack the LOS at 100% speed every play and don't do a lot of dancing around until they are behind the linebackers; UW seems to think they'll have 3 seconds to figure out which hole to run to, line up their blocks, make a cup a tea, oh... now we can play football and turn the jets on.

While that works against the smaller, quicker P12 defenses, its obviously not a recipe for success against a team that can smack you in the mouth. Its like the UW offense is waiting for Bama to give them something instead of taking the game to them.

Is it style of play or a difference in physicality and talent?

there is just a whole different style of play going on with Bama. They attack the LOS at 100% speed every play and don't do a lot of dancing around until they are behind the linebackers; UW seems to think they'll have 3 seconds to figure out which hole to run to, line up their blocks, make a cup a tea, oh... now we can play football and turn the jets on.

While that works against the smaller, quicker P12 defenses, its obviously not a recipe for success against a team that can smack you in the mouth. Its like the UW offense is waiting for Bama to give them something instead of taking the game to them.

Is it style of play or a difference in physicality and talent?

Speed may get you to the point of attack first, you still have to make a block or tackle once you're there. Alabama has battering rams for athletes. They get there first and they knock you down.

to think this was the biggest game in the history of UW football. Really sad but expected outcome.
This may be the most hyped game in Washington history. But we had expectations in 1991 and the 92 Rose Bowl was bigger.

Feel really bad for ESPN that they where contractually obligated to show this game.

This may be the most hyped game in Washington history. But we had expectations in 1991 and the 92 Rose Bowl was bigger.

NOPE. A win places UW in the National Championship game. A win there and it would have been there first.
But whatever. Easy to say after a beat down

Feel really bad for ESPN that they where contractually obligated to show this game.
I still think they should stick to the top four teams only. UW, even though they were soundly beaten, deserved to be in the final four. Alabama would have pounded anyone they played imo.

Holy shit, I get being Bama homers but did they really just defend that bush league play running it out of the end zone? Not only was it bush, it was fcking stupid - you're risking injury. Take a knee, dumbass.

That was probably the worst coached game I have ever watched by Petersen. He usually comes up with some gimmicks.

This game he had nothing.

He seemed to be just coaching to keep the game close and that really did not happen.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
NOPE. A win places UW in the National Championship game. A win there and it would have been there first.
But whatever. Easy to say after a beat down
If we'd stolen a national championship with a team that was still regarded as a year away, that would have been bigger. But there's a reason we were a surprising playoff team. It showed.

If we'd stolen a national championship with a team that was still regarded as a year away, that would have been bigger. But there's a reason we were a surprising playoff team. It showed.

I'll give you credit for being honest. UW didn't belong there.

Browning looking incredibly pedestrian, as are their backs. His inability to even find Ross is astounding.

That last play for the Doggies said it all. Noodle arm Browning throws a lob and it's picked off. Two UW players are hammered on the play. Crowd is chanting S E C in the last minute. Game was not as close as the score.

You are dreaming that team is a year away . You will see major early departures to the NFL draft- Baker and Ross for starters.

UW did all they could, but the P12 is physically weak in comparison to the upper crust of the other P5 conferences. Every P12 bowl team so far has had their offensive line beat down.

I can see Ross and many of the defensive players leaving. Their college game has peaked and they have won the pac-12 conference. Do they really want to get another shot at BAMA? Doubt it.

Outside shot- maybe Noodle arm Browning will head for the draft. This way he only was horrible in one bowl game. ;)

One of the best things about the game was the lack of replay reviews by the officials. There were a handful of fairly obvious outcomes that would have been given the official review in most other games this year....it resulted in a fast moving, enjoyable game in which the officials didn't try to play a bigger role than they needed to. Remember the endless reviews in the Holiday Bowl? I don't either, since I've blocked that game out of my mind...but I know those reviews took place.

Wow, Bama's defense is good.

Glad Cougar

One of the best things about the game was the lack of replay reviews by the officials. There were a handful of fairly obvious outcomes that would have been given the official review in most other games this year....it resulted in a fast moving, enjoyable game in which the officials didn't try to play a bigger role than they needed to. Remember the endless reviews in the Holiday Bowl? I don't either, since I've blocked that game out of my mind...but I know those reviews took place.

Wow, Bama's defense is good.

Glad Cougar
The last minute lasted about 15 minutes.

Pretty predictable.

Look Saban has stockpiled more 5 stars than anyone ... I can think of ever. It's like Carroll's Southern Cal on steroids.

Maybe sometime in past decades there were situations comparable. I'm talking about the days when there were like 105 scholarships or whatever it was.

And Washington is just not made to threaten Alabama. If the defense has better athletes than your offense, there's just not much they can do.

LSU is the only team that has lined up and slobberknocked Alabama since about 2008 or so. And they haven't done it too often, despite having very good offensive talent (well it gets drafted by the NFL, no matter what the results are in college).

Used to be Sagan recruited players to stop teams like Washington, and Michigan, LSU...

Now he recruits players to stop spreads and running qb's. But to my eye they don't seem to lose anything in stopping pro set/I teams. Kind of akin to when Jimmy Johnson prioritized speed over size, and started putting linebackers at defensive end, and db's at linebacker. Turned out it was a magic bullet for the wishbone when running a 4-3.

(Big LB's and defensive linemen kind of made a mini-comeback with the resurgence in 3-4 defenses, but spreads and running qb's do well against it, and it is awful hard for even Alabama to continually come up with dominating nose guards which you really need to make it work like you want.)

Only way to beat Alabama is to have a mobile qb who is hot. Even with that collection of athletes it's happened once or twice and come close a few other times (see Clemson last year).

If it's any comfort to UW, Alabama would have demolished Michigan as well.

Haven't checked the Ohio State/Clemson game, but I'm expecting the 2nd best collection of talent in college football to win, and have a rematch of two years ago.

Alabama probably wins that one though.

UW did all they could, but the P12 is physically weak in comparison to the upper crust of the other P5 conferences. Every P12 bowl team so far has had their offensive line beat down.

Im watching OSU, Bama and Clemson... Their kids are easily 20 pounds of muscled bigger then every PAC 12 team I saw play this year. Dunno about SC but then SC gave up almost 60 to Bama...

PAC 12 isn't getting it done in the weight room.

Pac12 Going Forward Will have A Tough Time Getting Into This.

UW & Oregon have been Dominated
I think the only team that can hang with Alabama from the P12 going forward is USC...unfortunately. Maybe Furd too.

The SEC and also Big12 teams Ohio State and Michigan are swooping in to steal the best talent in the Pac12's backyard. The Pac12 isn't getting the top talent as much in their back yard.

I think it has more to do with the move to recruit faster defenses. It's the Oregon effect. The Pac12 has fallen in love with finesse offense and small, nickel defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT