ADVERTISEMENT

Egg Bowl updates

Mississippi State looks a lot better than they did even 4 weeks ago. True freshman QB is a huge upgrade over Costello, and their true freshman WR looks really talented.

I expect MSU to take a big step forward next year. They won’t compete for anything of note, but I think they’ll get some payback over Arkansas, Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc. and qualify for a bowl game.

Mississippi State looks a lot better than they did even 4 weeks ago. True freshman QB is a huge upgrade over Costello, and their true freshman WR looks really talented.

I expect MSU to take a big step forward next year. They won’t compete for anything of note, but I think they’ll get some payback over Arkansas, Kentucky, Ole Miss, etc. and qualify for a bowl game.

Yeah I'm impressed with what Leach has done in such a short time period.

I like this QB they have ..and super impressed with that frosh receiver #31. You can tell he is buying in...and he'll definitely collect a check at the next level.

I think they would beat them. Would be fun to play them at some point. The tailgating would be a great time

Agree....KJ was flat out bad compared to Rogers. It'll take the pirate a year or two, but with a decent QB stable, and some talent on the lines, I think they will make some noise in the conference.

The big swing factor with this team, as was the case with most of Leach's teams at WSU once he got established, was the defense. The biggest difference between the '15-'18 teams and the Halliday era was Grinch and that one good year where Claeys was smart enough to keep the Speed D approach without screwing around with it (and where we had Minshew).

Arnott is legit and that defense is pretty good (#20 in FEI). The offense has come around a little, but the main reason the team seems pretty close is that defense. Fortunately for Leach and Mississippi State, they'll have enough $ to keep Arnott around, especially if the team stays bad to mediocre and the defense is merely good, not elite, which should allow the team to be decent when/if Leach gets the offense rolling more in the next few years.

The only danger that I see for Leach is the lack of patience. I guarantee that nobody envisioned this team finishing 2-7. Barring a major upset over Auburn, it will be their worst record in 17 years and ranks in the bottom five in the past 50 years. They've been competitive in their last two games but getting waxed 41-0 was a bad look.

Their 2021 OOC schedule is relatively tough and they will be facing decent Memphis and NC State teams that are a combined 13-5 right now and a La Tech team that isn't terrible. Given that there will be at least five SEC games where MSU will be underdogs.....Leach can't really afford a 2014 type season. A 3-9 finish might be too much for haters to tolerate and it would represent the worst two year stretch since the 80's.

Most of us believe that Leach can achieve the same type of success that Dan Mullen had at Mississippi State (five 8+ win seasons in nine years) and maybe a little better. I don't believe that MSU is willing to wait until year four to get there. Things need to get better faster than that in Starkville.

I've been a lurker on the Mississippi State board for a few months now, and while they're not doing cartwheels over Leach, they all acknowledge that MSU won't be able to get rid of him until year 4 at the earliest. Apart from the blue bloods, you're going to see programs hanging onto coaches a big longer than they typically would have, post COVID. The financial belts are tightening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT