ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone see this?

I'd be down to bring back a live mascot... But only if we do it "right" in the sense that it has a very large enclosure to live in, great food, comfort, etc...

Perhaps build an additional smaller "viewable" enclosure near the cougar statue next to the stadium to put the live mascot in for home games... Make it sound proof so the noise of game day doesn't distress the animal.

I dunno, I'm sure there is an ethical way to do it.

I'd be down to bring back a live mascot... But only if we do it "right" in the sense that it has a very large enclosure to live in, great food, comfort, etc...

Perhaps build an additional smaller "viewable" enclosure near the cougar statue next to the stadium to put the live mascot in for home games... Make it sound proof so the noise of game day doesn't distress the animal.

Large predators that have home ranges that run in the hundreds of square miles really don’t belong in an enclosure. You basically deny every instinct they have: hunting, roaming, reproducing,etc.

Large predators that have home ranges that run in the hundreds of square miles really don’t belong in an enclosure. You basically deny every instinct they have: hunting, roaming, reproducing,etc.

I see where you are coming from, buuuuuut that can apply to virtually thousands of species wether predator or prey... I was at the San Diego zoo earlier this year and guess what I saw... A cougar...

I see where you are coming from, buuuuuut that can apply to virtually thousands of species wether predator or prey... I was at the San Diego zoo earlier this year and guess what I saw... A cougar...
Sure, but do we really need to keep doing it? Particularly for the purpose of parading them out in front of a crowd 5 Saturdays a year? At least modern zoos generally have a conservation goal in mind. If it’s an animal that can’t be put back in the wild, then maybe you could justify it, but is the university prepared to make the multimillion dollar investment on an enclosure and care for an animal that lives20-25 years in captivity?

Reactions: rity and HHusky

;) We should just go back to Squirt the Terrier then:

cd476347c5c2189f0a397aff247c8bee.jpg

fc41857b24c60d3caf4cedd49dceabb9.jpg

getimage.exe

Sure, but do we really need to keep doing it? Particularly for the purpose of parading them out in front of a crowd 5 Saturdays a year? At least modern zoos generally have a conservation goal in mind. If it’s an animal that can’t be put back in the wild, then maybe you could justify it, but is the university prepared to make the multimillion dollar investment on an enclosure and care for an animal that lives20-25 years in captivity?

I wouldn't chain the damn thing and bring it out onto the field, but having a large comfortable enclosure (like bigger than what the grizzlies have)? Sure.

Again, ethical, is the cub unable to re-enter the wild? Etc...

I wouldn't chain the damn thing and bring it out onto the field, but having a large comfortable enclosure (like bigger than what the grizzlies have)? Sure.

Again, ethical, is the cub unable to re-enter the wild? Etc...
Then what’s the purpose?

Reactions: HHusky
No, no and no again. I saw what may have been the last of the live Butches during my time in the early 70's. I'll never forget the sight of the poor thing walking back and forth, back and forth, back and forth in his cage. The poor thing was obviously psychotic from its confinement. I never again want to see another cougar caged. I cannot believe that any of you who had seen that pathetic spectacle would disagree. A kid in a Butch suit is just fine with me and should be with you too.

I was there in the late 70s. Don't remember if we still had Butch then (seems like we did), but the discussion about him was still very much alive. I think animal awareness is much better these days, and the public would support the money it would take to care for Butch 3.0. However, until we build the IPF and find answers to paying off our debt, if Leach wants to see this, maybe he can pony up the funds.

No, no and no again. I saw what may have been the last of the live Butches during my time in the early 70's. I'll never forget the sight of the poor thing walking back and forth, back and forth, back and forth in his cage. The poor thing was obviously psychotic from its confinement. I never again want to see another cougar caged. I cannot believe that any of you who had seen that pathetic spectacle would disagree. A kid in a Butch suit is just fine with me and should be with you too.
I may run the risk of having PETA and others rioting in my front yard, but I wouldn't mind exploring the possibility of having a live mascot again. I was also attending WSU at the end of the live Butch reign in the 70s and would definitely want better conditions/environment for a cougar. But given that these animals are already hunted and face a decreasing habitat, the life of a captive Cougar may not be all that bad. When I was a young kid, the live Butch was one of the reasons I started to follow WSU. I know times have changed and it's not worth making a big deal over, but it wouldn't bother me at all to return to a live mascot.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: CPtheCoug
I may run the risk of having PETA and others rioting in my front yard, but I wouldn't mind exploring the possibility of having a live mascot again. I was also attending WSU at the end of the live Butch reign in the 70s and would definitely want better conditions/environment for a cougar. But given that these animals are already hunted and face a decreasing habitat, the life of a captive Cougar may not be all that bad. When I was a young kid, the live Butch was one of the reasons I started to follow WSU. I know times have changed and it's not worth making a big deal over, but it wouldn't bother me at all to return to a live mascot.

Glad Cougar
A domesticated animal is one thing, a cougar is another. The obvious choice is a cow.

How about this - occasionally F&G has to kill a cougar that attacked livestock, people, whatever. Tranquilize it instead and make it our mascot? Better in a cage than dead.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
I’m just not sure I could bring myself to root for the squirts.
The Fightin' Squirts of Washington State College? We'd have to go to Wyoming colors to really sell that, but I guess the pink and baby blue or whatever it was in the Terrier days could work

I started at WSU in the fall of '76 and I'm about 95% sure that Butch was still in his cage that year, but died the next year and was not replaced. I may be off a year either way, but that was the time frame. Regardless, that cage was a joke; your living room might be bigger. A healthy predatory cat should not be in a cage. Might it make sense to keep a crippled cat? They do pop up from time to time, and the alternative has typically been to put them down...? All in all, I'd say not. Let's stick with the human in a costume.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT