ADVERTISEMENT

Fair assessment of Browning?

enjoy the read. Nice breakdowns of Browning’s game, but maybe a tad harsh.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/09/washington-qb-jake-browning-scouting-process-over-results/
Damn that is harsh. I don’t disagree he’s never gonna make it in the NFL. Even when he had Ross still blows my mind the numbers he put up as a sophomore.

He’s kinda right though, UW with that defense, Oline, and skill players could have gone places with a legit pro QB. But also how much of that is on Peterson? He had a guy starting and playing decent as a true freshman, Pac-12 OPOY sophomore year, then regresses (yeah I know Falk did too). Peterson might be a decent offensive coach, but he’s a turd with QBs and he needs a damn good QB coach if he’s gonna make it to the great heights that everyone on Mountlake “expects”.

Damn that is harsh. I don’t disagree he’s never gonna make it in the NFL. Even when he had Ross still blows my mind the numbers he put up as a sophomore.

He’s kinda right though, UW with that defense, Oline, and skill players could have gone places with a legit pro QB. But also how much of that is on Peterson? He had a guy starting and playing decent as a true freshman, Pac-12 OPOY sophomore year, then regresses (yeah I know Falk did too). Peterson might be a decent offensive coach, but he’s a turd with QBs and he needs a damn good QB coach if he’s gonna make it to the great heights that everyone on Mountlake “expects”.
I think that’s just it. Petersen has an issue with QB development. Browning was healthy through this run. Falk had a broken hand all season that required him to have surgery to correct. No question Leach can develop QB’s. He gets the best out of that position. I look for another 6 win PAC 12 season next year (6 meaning fighting for championship).

Last edited:
Doogy Howser has an opinion. Doesn’t think Browning is an NFL prospect. Wow! Also, did you know the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor?

No, he doesn’t feel that Browning is a good college QB. Read it! His article is quite compelling that Browning is horrible and frankly not capable of playing at a high level. Now walk on home boy.

In his last 4 games, he's averaging 183 yds passing, 58.0 CMP%, 4 TDs/3 Ints.

His soph. season is a perfect example of exceptional receivers + exceptional play makers on special teams (kickoffs/punts: Ross & Pettis), and a good D that made Browning look better than he was. Ross alone accounted for 17 receiving TDs, 1 rushing, and 1 kick return = 19 total. Dante Pettis had 15 receving TD's on the year. 34 freaking TD's between those two!!! All while Browning only threw for 62.0 cmp%. Imagine a QB in the 70.0+ CMP% with that team, and even more so with a bit more mobility like Baker Mayfield or Minshew.

Now look at Alabama who beat them with ease that same season (24-7). They completely shut down Browning, Ross, Pettis, and Gaskin. I have a hard time envisioning UW putting a team that talented together again. It also makes me question if the Pac-12 can ever put together a team that could ever compete with a program like Alabama.

Regardless, he is still the winningest QB in UW history.

Last edited:
Whether or not its fair, it should be noted that this article is dated Aug 9th.

That being said, I'm not sure what the point of printing an article like this is. Browning knows what he is and isn't, so do the NFL scouts. What is the point of trashing a 21 year old kid who's given everything he has to his team and his school?

Also, the guy is an undergrad. Does that mean he's uneducated or can't have an opinion? Certainly not, but I'm doubting he has the depth of knowledge to recognize nuance, or the actual time to do any serious research. He hits the low hanging fruit like a champ, though - "Browning- bad. Harris (after insane game) - good. etc"

Again, I've got no problem calling a spade a spade but this guy, nay asshat (I'm getting more irritated at this the more I type) has the audacity to take a gigantic shit on someone his own age who has accomplished something he could only dream of.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHusky
In his last 4 games, he's averaging 183 yds passing, 58.0 CMP%, 4 TDs/3 Ints.

His soph. season is a perfect example of exceptional receivers + exceptional play makers on special teams (kickoffs/punts: Ross & Pettis), and a good D that made Browning look better than he was. Ross alone accounted for 17 receiving TDs, 1 rushing, and 1 kick return = 19 total. Dante Pettis had 15 receving TD's on the year. 34 freaking TD's between those two!!! All while Browning only threw for 62.0 cmp%. Imagine a QB in the 70.0+ CMP% with that team, and even more so with a bit more mobility like Baker Mayfield or Minshew.

Now look at Alabama who beat them with ease that same season (24-7). They completely shut down Browning, Ross, Pettis, and Gaskin. I have a hard time envisioning UW putting a team that talented together again. It also makes me question if the Pac-12 can ever put together a team that could ever compete with a program like Alabama.

Regardless, he is still the winningest QB in UW history.

Can Petersen consistently win without Sark’s eye for talent? That will be the question moving forward. Their defense is solid, but mediocre on the defensive line. They won’t get to our QB this year.

I remember during either Brownings Freshman, Sophmore year, in the AC game, there was a play where Browning threw a 39 to 69 yard almost Hail Mary Long Bomb like pass in the middle of the game, with the score close, to either Ross, Pettis, Gaskin, some other receiver, with like 3,4,5,6 WSU DB's around, smothering the receiver, and the receiver MIRACULOUSLY caught the ball for either a TD, or 1 to 3 plays later UW went 5 to 20 more yards after the miracle catch to punch it in for a TD.

One of the only reasons UW won the game is Browning chucked the ball up, and prayed, and then BUTLUCKED, the same way that a poker player goes all in with AA, and some goof off calls with 72, and BUTLUCKS 722.

And all the UW fans(3,4 to 7), plus the announcers, plus even 1 coug(who was probably hopefully only saying to be a good sport)(there was about 19 to 39 Coug Fans watching)(Was at a Spokane Bar watching the game), said it was a good play, pass, by UW, BROWNING, etc.

I knew when I saw that from Browning that Browning was either probably not a good QB, or would not be a good QB, and that it would be the UW, coach, system, coaching, defense, Oline, receivers Ross, Pettis, RB Gaskins, special teams, LUCK, that would carry Browning and artificially make Browning LOOK A LOT better then he Browning was.

Last edited:
I remember during either Brownings Freshman, Sophmore year, in the AC game, there was a play where Browning threw a 39 to 69 yard almost Hail Mary Long Bomb like pass in the middle of the game, with the score close, to either Ross, Pettis, Gaskin, some other receiver, with like 3,4,5,6 WSU DB's around, smothering the receiver, and the receiver MIRACULOUSLY caught the ball for either a TD, or 1 to 3 plays later UW went 5 to 20 more yards after the miracle catch to punch it in for a TD.

One of the only reasons UW won the game is Browning chucked the ball up, and prayed, and then BUTLUCKED, the same way that a poker player goes all in with AA, and some goof off calls with 72, and BUTLUCKS 722.

And all the UW fans, plus the announcers, plus even 1 coug(who was probably hopefully only saying to be a good sport), said it was a good play, pass, by UW, BROWNING, etc.

I knew when I saw that from Browning that Browning was either probably not a good QB, or would not be a good QB, and that it would be the UW, coach, system, coaching, defense, Oline, receivers Ross, Pettis, RB Gaskins, soecial teams that would carry Browning and artificially make Browning LOOK A LOT better then he Browning was.
Wait what? When was an Apple Cup ever close that Browning played in?

I agree though there was a lot of chuck and pray his sophomore year, and it worked. This offense is a shell of what they had that year.

He's a college kid that has won a lot of games at the UW, and will end up with the most wins of any QB in UW. So he is not a pro prospect, there are a lot of good college QB's that weren't pro prospects, big deal. I don't think the guy that wrote the article needed to be that brutal, not sure what Browning did to him, that's not a negative assessment of Browning, that article is down right nasty, maybe Browning slept with his little sister.

Whether or not its fair, it should be noted that this article is dated Aug 9th.

That being said, I'm not sure what the point of printing an article like this is. Browning knows what he is and isn't, so do the NFL scouts. What is the point of trashing a 21 year old kid who's given everything he has to his team and his school?

Also, the guy is an undergrad. Does that mean he's uneducated or can't have an opinion? Certainly not, but I'm doubting he has the depth of knowledge to recognize nuance, or the actual time to do any serious research. He hits the low hanging fruit like a champ, though - "Browning- bad. Harris (after insane game) - good. etc"

Again, I've got no problem calling a spade a spade but this guy, nay asshat (I'm getting more irritated at this the more I type) has the audacity to take a gigantic shit on someone his own age who has accomplished something he could only dream of.
It would take someone this young to make an article about the 22nd? rated QB in the draft. Unnecessary and a waste of time. If there's a really experienced scout making a case why the 22nd rated QB should be ranked much higher.....I'd read more than a couple paragraphs.

So, in either 2015 or 2016 Browning threw a pass somewhere between 39-69 yards to one of John Ross, Dante Pettis or...Myles Gaskin (?) with somewhere between 3 and (somehow) 6 (?) defenders in coverage and the ball was caught for either a TD, or down to the 20, and UW maybe scored 1-3 plays later?

This has to be the oddest description of a play I've ever read on here.

So, in either 2015 or 2016 Browning threw a pass somewhere between 39-69 yards to one of John Ross, Dante Pettis or...Myles Gaskin (?) with somewhere between 3 and (somehow) 6 (?) defenders in coverage and the ball was caught for either a TD, or down to the 20, and UW maybe scored 1-3 plays later?

This has to be the oddest description of a play I've ever read on here.
adderall is a hell of a drug...

Coug90 the game was close at the time of the Browning play, pass.

UW was somewhere between about 3 points behind the cougs to 13 points ahead of the cougs.

After the pass, play, TD UW was ahead about 7 to 9, to 17 to 20 points.

UW went on to win by about 19 to 23 points, if I remember right.

That play broke the game open for UW.

It ended up being a key momemtum play.

Take that play away and UW would have probably either just barely lose to close win.

Instead the play happened and UW won by about 18,19 points, if I remember right, and a not so close game.

No, he doesn’t feel that Browning is a good college QB. Read it! His article is quite compelling that Browning is horrible and frankly not capable of playing at a high level. Now walk on home boy.

If that’s his opinion he’s an idiot. The problem with Browning is that he is a good college quarterback, but no better than that.

UW was somewhere between about 3 points behind the cougs to 13 points ahead of the cougs.

Take that play away and UW would have probably either just barely lose to close win.

Instead the play happened and UW won by about 18,19 points, if I remember right, and a not so close game.
thanks for the clarification

Reactions: Fab5Coug

This has to be a bit.

Are you sure they weren't either behind by 4 or up by 11? Was there somewhere between 4:42 left in the 1st quarter to 3:09 left in the 3rd quarter?

You know, you could have just checked ESPN to get the details of this play. Or, you could have saved about 600 words by just saying, "I remember Browning threw a deep pass in one Apple Cup that was caught...".

Last edited:

I guess you're talking about this TD pass to Dante Pettis (about 46 seconds in)?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...428157D1888BE77885BD428157D1888B&&FORM=VRDGAR

That's the only somewhat lengthy TD pass Browning has thrown in the AC (he actually has just 3 AC passing TDs, interestingly).

But, I don't know, that's not into triple, or sextuple coverage, as you suggested, so I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

I think what hhusky wrote is accurate. Browning is a good college qb, but no better than that. It's pretty much what I was going to write before I saw his statement. Plus, I'll add. I don't really care about who will become an NFL QB. I don't watch the NFL and don't really care about it! Being a good college qb in it's own rights is enough. WSU has had PLENTY of good college qb's and I've enjoyed all of them!

Reactions: HCoug
The guy who did the analysis clearly put in a ton of work and did an extremely detailed job with video examples, so it's unfortunate he writes it like it's his Twitter feed: "despicable", "lambasted", "garbage throw", "not good at football", "busted out laughing".

Having said that, I could believe it. UW has recruited well for the decade coming out of Willingham. Having the right pieces around you - talent, coaching, scheme - can hide a lot. Imagine Brady without Belichick, early 2017 Dak without that Cowboys OL, and virtually every Alabama QB under Saban. UW isn't quite to that level but getting more than your fair share of 4* and 5* can go a long way in hiding warts.

Let's recognize that this is just my opinion.

Browning is a good QB. He wins most of his games, surrounded by good talent and assisted by good game plans from the coaching staff. He seldom screws up so badly that he costs UW the game. All good things, and he is pretty good in a number of areas, including some of the areas that this analyst dissed.

But is he a great college QB? It is pretty clear that he is not. And an NFL prospect? Probably not.

All that said, QB's are notoriously hard to evaluate and recruit, and with Browning in the starter's seat so long the recruiting job to get a top level kid to commit has been difficult. Give the staff some sympathy on this one.

I will say that for a 3(?) year starter at a school that thinks that it is perennial top 25, he is pretty weak. And having him as the clear heir apparent has not helped their recent recruiting classes. So on the balance, his presence is probably good for the rest of the league. I will be sorry to see him use the last of his eligibility.

I remember PFF's rankings before last season having Browning as the best QB in the conference. They were writing him up like he was a can't miss pro prospect. I remember writing on here that I am not sure what they were watching.

He had a weak arm and had great statistics because he was throwing to a wide open John Ross who continually got behind double coverage. Because safety's always had to shade and help covering Ross, it left underneath wide open for Pettis and McClatcher.

He is fine as a college QB. He is accurate and doesn't throw interceptions. But, he is not a QB that can carry a team.

I remember PFF's rankings before last season having Browning as the best QB in the conference. They were writing him up like he was a can't miss pro prospect. I remember writing on here that I am not sure what they were watching.

He had a weak arm and had great statistics because he was throwing to a wide open John Ross who continually got behind double coverage. Because safety's always had to shade and help covering Ross, it left underneath wide open for Pettis and McClatcher.

He is fine as a college QB. He is accurate and doesn't throw interceptions. But, he is not a QB that can carry a team.

He is a weaker arm version of Alex Brink.

Ed, his arm is not weaker than Brink. Probably no starting PAC QB today has an arm weaker than Brink. But neither does Browning display in his senior year a will to win that is equal to what Brink displayed his senior year. I have no data what so ever upon which to base this statement, but having watched Alex his last year many times and having watched Browning this year several times, I have to conclude that either Brink is smarter than Browning, or Brink had better field awareness, or both. Brink did all that he could with what he had to work with, and I suspect that you could say the same about Browning. Neither was/is NFL QB material.

We have seen many forms of spam on this website but an advertisement for amphetamines takes the cake. Also liked the "supervision of the doctor" qualification. "The" doctor; they have one. Dr. Vinnie Boombattz. I presume. Nice. Gotta fulfill those legal requirements.

I liked Sponge's idea...put them in morning cereal. Along with your berries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT