ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State apparently was wrong about the playoff

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
No offense to FSU...but given the ass-kicking that is being administered today, they had no business being invited to the playoff and they should just shut the hell up for the time being and strongly reconsider if they should be in a different conference.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
No offense to FSU...but given the ass-kicking that is being administered today, they had no business being invited to the playoff and they should just shut the hell up for the time being and strongly reconsider if they should be in a different conference.
Missing 23 players has nothing to do with it. OSU last night could only score 3 points missing their best player and starting QB.

Some teams care about the game they got invited to, some don’t.

Post season and even regular season cfb is becoming a joke.

We been in that boat, where players skipped the bowl games to get ready for the NFL draft. Then not get drafted. I do get the reasoning behind it, injury or a bad game. But there are scouts at the games and more tape to improve also.

More than that, it confirms my thoughts that Georgia should have been in the playoffs instead of Texas. They had only 1 loss to a team not named Alabama in the past 4 years. National champs two years in a row, undefeated last year and then a 3 point loss to Bama in the SEC title game. Does anyone seriously thing Texas is a better team that Georgia?

More than that, it confirms my thoughts that Georgia should have been in the playoffs instead of Texas. They had only 1 loss to a team not named Alabama in the past 4 years. National champs two years in a row, undefeated last year and then a 3 point loss to Bama in the SEC title game. Does anyone seriously thing Texas is a better team that Georgia?
Hell no. Texas is in cuz they beat a QB-less Alabama team 5 months ago.

Georgia is not what they were the last couple of years particularly defensively but easily better than Texas.

We been in that boat, where players skipped the bowl games to get ready for the NFL draft. Then not get drafted. I do get the reasoning behind it, injury or a bad game. But there are scouts at the games and more tape to improve also.
Ok
Most of the team wasnt there

Georgia lost at the wrong time . DidntvTexas beat Alabama? Didn’t Alabama need a miracle to beat Auburn . Fourth and goal and needed 30 yards?

It should have been Michigan, UW, FSU and Texas.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Ok

Per ESPN:

"The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all."

Yeah that would probably affect your performance.

Ok

No doubt that the loss of so many other players made it a bloodbath, but Ohio State's performance against Missouri suggests that just missing the QB alone would have been enough to ruin them as a playoff contender.

The good news (if there is any) is that Kirby Smart is coming out and talking about how bad things are...and his team won....

Georgia lost at the wrong time . DidntvTexas beat Alabama? Didn’t Alabama need a miracle to beat Auburn . Fourth and goal and needed 30 yards?

It should have been Michigan, UW, FSU and Texas.
True about Georgia.

Here's something no one ever brings up...why the hell do we just assume Michigan is one of the 4 best? What have they really done to prove it?

Alabama will roll them. Michigan's defense will keep it competitive for a bit, but their offense will be exposed against 'Bama. That's all I have to say about that.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
Missing 23 players has nothing to do with it. OSU last night could only score 3 points missing their best player and starting QB.

College football has become a joke, period. I have not watched one minute of college football once the whistle blew on the Apple Cup, and I don't plan on watching any until the Cougs kick off in 2024.

College football has become a joke, period. I have not watched one minute of college football once the whistle blew on the Apple Cup, and I don't plan on watching any until the Cougs kick off in 2024.
I feel the same way. I haven't watched any of the bowl games this season. Every major head coach is bitching about the system now, so something is going to give soon.

I feel the same way. I haven't watched any of the bowl games this season. Every major head coach is bitching about the system now, so something is going to give soon.
I’ve watched about 20 minutes total. Don’t even know what the scores were in most of em. Complacency has set in with CFBs largest audience…which isn’t Tuscaloosa pig farmers. I suspect the playoff ratings will be fine for now but all of these other bowl games ratings have to be taking a massive dump. I’d expect regular season games to start following suit as early as next year.

I’ve watched about 20 minutes total. Don’t even know what the scores were in most of em. Complacency has set in with CFBs largest audience…which isn’t Tuscaloosa pig farmers. I suspect the playoff ratings will be fine for now but all of these other bowl games ratings have to be taking a massive dump. I’d expect regular season games to start following suit as early as next year.
I havent watched any games. Its a joke opt outs transfers etc...

I havent watched any games. Its a joke opt outs transfers etc...
I have a solution. Backload these NIL agreements. Small payments during the season, the rest comes AFTER the season, You don't play, we don't pay.

Would be of minimal help if the NIL is a free truck, but I assume the school yanks the keys as soon as the transfer or opt out occurs. If the truck is to be given to the student, hold the title until the season is over.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I have a solution. Backload these NIL agreements. Small payments during the season, the rest comes AFTER the season, You don't play, we don't pay.

Would be of minimal help if the NIL is a free truck, but I assume the school yanks the keys as soon as the transfer or opt out occurs. If the truck is to be given to the student, hold the title until the season is over.
None of this shit is going to happen. These schools are just fine tossing money around. The only thing I see potentially is moving the portal window to after the bowl games to try and discourage opt outs before. While the contract stuff sounds nice it’s not happening.

None of this shit is going to happen. These schools are just fine tossing money around. The only thing I see potentially is moving the portal window to after the bowl games to try and discourage opt outs before. While the contract stuff sounds nice it’s not happening.
Well Mr. Positive, what's your solution to the opt outs?

Would a player agree to any of that? Better question is why would any school that has boosters ready to bankroll the roster impose any of those conditions?

Reactions: Coug90
Well Mr. Positive, what's your solution to the opt outs?
Once you get to this point it’s hard to rein it in, not about being negative. Contracts won’t happen because they don’t need to. If a school tries to slap a contract on a kid he’s just going to opt to go elsewhere. It’s to a point of no return.

23 players out of a major bowl game, playoff or not, is absolute BS.
Had ESPN not punished a team for losing their QB (who likely wins the Heisman), I bet a lot more players play.

I've been against players opting out of bowl games. You should play the full season, or pay back some of your scholarship. Probably makes me a hardass, I don't care. Opt-outs recently have tarnished how I've viewed a fair amount of recent WSU players who decided to not play. However, I can understand why some players in CFB do based on potential draft position.

With that said, I am all good with FSU players opting out. They went undefeated, ESPN told them to get bent, and they decided, "what's the point?"

I briefly caught Reece Davis (Bama alum), Joey Galloway (tOSU alum), and Des Howard (Michigan alum) earlier this week all complaining about FSU opting out, like their employer didn't have anything to do with it. If their ratings suffered, well, too damn bad. Halftime of PSU/Ole Miss game...let's talk only about Michigan and Alabama's match up for the 1 millionth time. Yawn.

RGIII and Booger actually had the heuvos to call out the CFP. Has anyone seem Booger in awhile?...I wonder why.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: kougkurt
Would a player agree to any of that? Better question is why would any school that has boosters ready to bankroll the roster impose any of those conditions?
Well the boosters might prefer to have players that will stick around for the bowl game.

As to Coug 90's comment that the kids would opt to go elsewhere? Could they before/during the season once they are signed? I dunno.

Well the boosters might prefer to have players that will stick around for the bowl game.

As to Coug 90's comment that the kids would opt to go elsewhere? Could they before/during the season once they are signed? I dunno.
Bowl games are in a death spiral. Along with college football as we knew it. It’s all about the playoff.

Players can quit the team anytime they want.

So they have some assurance that their investment will resch its potential.

Caleb Williams was paid a sh!+load this year...presumably to play every game for SUC...but then he doesn't play the bowl game.

I would want any money I spent to have a kid play for my favorite school actually every game for said school.

I still think at this level, the ones controlling the money train will control the players - whom at this point are not a collective body. Taihtsat

So they have some assurance that their investment will resch its potential.

Caleb Williams was paid a sh!+load this year...presumably to play every game for SUC...but then he doesn't play the bowl game.

I would want any money I spent to have a kid play for my favorite school actually every game for said school.

I still think at this level, the ones controlling the money train will control the players - whom at this point are not a collective body. Taihtsat
If a prospective employer offers you a contract that requires you to payback a signing bonus if you within a year, and a different prospective employer offers you the same terms, but doesn’t require you to payback the signing bonus, which offer are you taking?

Think about what you wrote above. Do you really think USC was playing for a bowl game this season? Do you think SC boosters give two shits about the Holiday Bowl?

If you want to keep the dying bowl system alive, forget the free backpack and ear buds crap. An insurance policy and cash stipends.

Regarding Florida St, I wanted them to be in the playoffs because I thought they deserved it as undefeated conference champions. I also wanted them to not make it. I was hoping the conversion would go something like this.

Committee president - Well I think a couple of things are obvious. Michigan and Alabama are automatic because they are the winners of best and most important leagues. Also Florids State is out because their quarterback is out.

Committee member A - I think Georgia should be in. Their only loss was to league Champs Alabama. They ran the SEC gauntlet and were number 1 all year until the SEC title game.

Committee president - Good points. They should be in. Who should be the 4th team? Texas or Washington?

Committee member B - Washington didn't blow anybody out and beat Oregon at home and ona neutral field. They barely beat WSU if it wasn't for some non holding calls. Texas beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa giving the champions of the SEC their only loss. Texas should get the nod.

Committee president - But Washington was an undefeated winner of a power 5 conference, we can't keep them out.

Committee member B - We're keeping Florida State out.

Committee president - Point taken. The field is set.

Reactions: BSpike76
Bowl games are in a death spiral. Along with college football as we knew it. It’s all about the playoff.

Players can quit the team anytime they want.
Yeah but if they quit there goes their money for at least a semester.

To your other comment about the dueling contract offers. Point well taken. I guess you have to hope you won them over with your school and program. If they are unwilling to commit to playing the entire season, do we want them? And the replacement team - "oh WSU expects me to commit to the entire season, including bowl. I can't commit to that". That's who you want to have sign?

Yeah, fantasyland. But even more ridiculous, you get a bunch of schools to buy in and off you go. I guess I need to turn off the Twilight Zone marathon.

Yeah but if they quit there goes their money for at least a semester.

To your other comment about the dueling contract offers. Point well taken. I guess you have to hope you won them over with your school and program. If they are unwilling to commit to playing the entire season, do we want them? And the replacement team - "oh WSU expects me to commit to the entire season, including bowl. I can't commit to that". That's who you want to have sign?

Yeah, fantasyland. But even more ridiculous, you get a bunch of schools to buy in and off you go. I guess I need to turn off the Twilight Zone marathon.
You clearly do not understand the competitive landscape.

You clearly do not understand the competitive landscape.
You know Gibby, F-you. I was simply musing. Note "fantasyland" in my post, All you have to say is "Hey Loyal, interesting concept but it wouldn't fly". But no, yet another insult about another posters intelligence.

All you is post negative shit and insults. I understand a lot of stuff. You f-ing lawyers think you know everything about everything. Newsflash, you don't.

The NCAA has more control over this stuff than what's being reported. The move to a 65-team tier 1 model seems to make the most sense. Appoint a commissioner and enforce Collective pay caps with revenues getting distributed across all sports teams. NIL deals should be 1-on-1 agreements between individual players and their sponsors. If NIKE wants to pay Bronny, the contract is between Bronny and Nike. The schools should be left out of it. NIKE can add terms to the NIL deal that payouts are conditional based on the successful completion of an academic term and the full sports season.

The NCAA has more control over this stuff than what's being reported. The move to a 65-team tier 1 model seems to make the most sense. Appoint a commissioner and enforce Collective pay caps with revenues getting distributed across all sports teams. NIL deals should be 1-on-1 agreements between individual players and their sponsors. If NIKE wants to pay Bronny, the contract is between Bronny and Nike. The schools should be left out of it. NIKE can add terms to the NIL deal that payouts are conditional based on the successful completion of an academic term and the full sports season.
I feel like 1 to 1 was how NIL was envisioned, but of course someone figured out how to game the system and created the collective system, and as per usual the spineless, gutless, nutless NCAA stood by and watched it happen.

I think the bigger issue is that NIL should actually be tied to compensation for their Name, Image and Likeness...not a blanket check for an entire team. It may make me a communist, but I'd also implement a 25% tax for NIL payments over $25k to be spread amongst athletes who didn't get an NIL deal.

True about Georgia.

Here's something no one ever brings up...why the hell do we just assume Michigan is one of the 4 best? What have they really done to prove it?

Alabama will roll them. Michigan's defense will keep it competitive for a bit, but their offense will be exposed against 'Bama. That's all I have to say about that.
Haha...this didn't age well at all. Taihtsat

You know Gibby, F-you. I was simply musing. Note "fantasyland" in my post, All you have to say is "Hey Loyal, interesting concept but it wouldn't fly". But no, yet another insult about another posters intelligence.

All you is post negative shit and insults. I understand a lot of stuff. You f-ing lawyers think you know everything about everything. Newsflash, you don't.
Already did that. Go back and read. The concept is not interesting or workable.

Your failings are yours.

Last edited:
Already did that. Go back and read. The concept is not interesting or workable.

Your failings are yours.
Uh, no you did not. "Unless already did that" refers to the fact that all you do is post insults and negative comments. Give a post number (upper right hand corner) if you care to clarify, Or don't. I tire of engaging with you,

Uh, no you did not. "Unless already did that" refers to the fact that all you do is post insults and negative comments. Give a post number (upper right hand corner) if you care to clarify, Or don't. I tire of engaging with you,
20, 24, 26.

Happy new year.

I think the bigger issue is that NIL should actually be tied to compensation for their Name, Image and Likeness...not a blanket check for an entire team. It may make me a communist, but I'd also implement a 25% tax for NIL payments over $25k to be spread amongst athletes who didn't get an NIL deal.
Well there's a concept. You mean NIL $ and free trucks should coincide with actual NIL activities? Man you fell off the 'ol turnip truck, :)

But seriously, agree 100%. I mean are all 85 Utah scholarship athletes going to fan the state hitting all the dealerships for promos? And who determines the value of your 3rd string lineman's NIL value? A: No one. Speaking of tax, has it been determined that these payments are subject to state and federal income tax? How about BYU and their tuition-covering NIL's for their 35 walk-ons? I never saw 'ol Cam doing any appearances or ads.

Last edited:
20, 24, 26.

Happy new year.
Well thanks for the effort, although I don't really think any of those posts address what I said.

"The concept is not interesting or workable. That's actually better,

But F-it, let's move on. Peace.

Not going to make the argument that Georgia was in the same position as FSU in terms of opt-outs, but the only absences that made the news were Bowers and Mims. Bowers is THE offense and Mims is the best OL; his injury cost Georgia the SECCG (that and a bad 4th & 4 "catch" call by the stripes). But Georgia also lost something like a dozen and a half contributors to the portal, some of whom (eg, star LB Jermaine Dumas-Johnson) were #1 teamers. McConkey, the only other real offensive weapon, was coming off a sprain (and still scored).

Moreover, Georgia's #1s against FSU's backups went 42-3, while Georgia's backups went 21-0 against FSU's backups. I was a midseason FSU skeptic before they lost Travis; I just don't know how they make the argument that their #1s would have offset a 60-point apocalypse, much of which occurred in the 2nd half with Georgia's backups.

All that said, we agree on how pointless bowl season is becoming. If you don't make the playoffs, bowls aren't even worth watching now. They have to move portal (and tampering) to the postseason and expand the playoffs to 16 (and shorten regular season to offset).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT