ADVERTISEMENT

Flynn to SDSU

He should get a lot of playing time there. His only problem is defense and he is a step too slow.on defense.He would have ridden the bench at Creighton. He picked a good situation for himself.Good luck to the young man.

He should get a lot of playing time there. His only problem is defense and he is a step too slow.on defense.He would have ridden the bench at Creighton. He picked a good situation for himself.Good luck to the young man.
SDSU wasn't exactly playing defense when WSU beat them in the John Wooden Tourney.

Ehh how did the schools do against each other last year? SDSU will be taking a player who in the final analysis will have made a bad decision.Flynn s experience will be missed but i think that the position may be at least be a wash next year. Flynn s defense and his lack of consistency was very bothersome last year. He made some big clutch shots but in a few games was way off, and hurt the team. He does not have the mentality of a PG but more of a SG.If Robinson pans out,he will be more of a vocal and on the floor leader. Last year,they tried a point forward to make up for Flynn s lack of leadership skills. His stats look good but they do not tell the whole story. That said i hope they can recruit another PG for depth.

I always find it amusing that once a player leaves WSU, fans start to point out the guy's faults. I'm reading stuff about Flynn's game now that I never read during the season. In fact, critics of Flynn were themselves shouted down (on another board) after pointing out some of the same shortcomings in Flynn's game.

ElC...for the record, I agree with your assessment of Flynn. He never did play good defense (who does on this team?) and was a shoot-first, pass-second guy who did not involve the rest of the offense the way a true PG should. Having said that, I don't see that he's made a bad decision at all. He will instantly become a starter, after sitting out a year, on a team that has been in post season play 12 of the last 13 years, including 8 NCAA tournament appearances. I don't have to remind anyone how many post season appearances the Cougars have made in recent years. Competitive players want to win. I really can't blame Flynn even if he has turned his back on the one P-5 program that gave him a chance.

Glad Cougar

Let me say this. Flynn wad a total gamer on a team that desperately needed one. He was inconsistent, and took bad shots at times, but he was still a soph. He was able to take over more games and give us a chance to win than any single player in the last 6 years.

Having said all that, I do blame him for leaving. Ernie Kent gave him a chsnce to develop snd showcase his talents at a higher level than any other coach. So he probably wouldn't have gotten to the dance in Pullman. Boo Hoo! Neither did Klay. Guess he should have transferred too.

Let me say this. Flynn wad a total gamer on a team that desperately needed one. He was inconsistent, and took bad shots at times, but he was still a soph. He was able to take over more games and give us a chance to win than any single player in the last 6 years.

Having said all that, I do blame him for leaving. Ernie Kent gave him a chsnce to develop snd showcase his talents at a higher level than any other coach. So he probably wouldn't have gotten to the dance in Pullman. Boo Hoo! Neither did Klay. Guess he should have transferred too.

love this quote from Klay:

"When I first got to Pullman, it was hard, but that place immediately grew on me. By my junior year, I had the most fun in my life just being a college kid, and we had great crowds at Beasley. It wouldn’t be 11,000 every night, but it would be 6-7,000, which you can’t complain about in college. That’s why it’s sad, man. I watch the games and Beasley’s barely full. I remember playing at Gonzaga, Washington, those guys are packed. It’s unfortunate, but I’m just very grateful I was a Coug. If I was to do it all over again, I’d still go to Washington State."

Bob, you know as well as anyone there's a difference between the program's condition when Klay played vs. what Flynn faced. Klay had a realistic shot at playing in 2 NCAA tournaments, Flynn at WSU almost certainly wouldn't have that realistic shot. So, a kid who has aspirations at playing and contributing heavily to an extremely competitive team can't be faulted if he doesn't want to stay at a program that routinely has finished in the bottom 3rd of the conference. At least I don't fault him.

There's also the possibility that he wasn't getting along with Kent or didn't care for Pullman, although I've heard nothing to support that.

Maybe Drick Bernstien should have stayed at North Dakota instead of seeking a program in the Pac-12? After all, it was UND that gave Drick a chance to develop his talents to begin with.

Glad Cougar

Glad: Not according to all the Bone bashers. Program was horrible, no defense, team under achieved despite going to NIT final 4. You are right though, the program is in worse shape, and kids like Flynn leaving make it that way. I dont know what happened to this team after that great start, but Flynn and Franks bear as much responsibility as anyone for the mid season funk.

love this quote from Klay:

"When I first got to Pullman, it was hard, but that place immediately grew on me. By my junior year, I had the most fun in my life just being a college kid, and we had great crowds at Beasley. It wouldn’t be 11,000 every night, but it would be 6-7,000, which you can’t complain about in college. That’s why it’s sad, man. I watch the games and Beasley’s barely full. I remember playing at Gonzaga, Washington, those guys are packed. It’s unfortunate, but I’m just very grateful I was a Coug. If I was to do it all over again, I’d still go to Washington State."

Another great quote - from a long CNN article about the family, complete with a picture of Klay on the court in Pullman. Good exposure for us. And I am well aware that most if not all of you live and breath FauxNews, but the Communist News Network does have some good stuff. :p

It's about more than just showing up, however. It's about the way Thompson plays. Uncle John recalls when Washington State had the rare chance to host a non-Pac-12 Top Five team in Kansas State. It was a big deal for the Cougars, and Beasley Coliseum was packed. The Wildcats won even though Thompson was the game's leading scorer with 16 points.
"Klay was just hang-dogging afterward, and I asked him why," Leslie says. "He said, 'I let 13,000 people down tonight.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

P.S. Hey Chun, if you want to raise money, go West 300 miles, take a left, go South about 600? miles, and hang a right.

Glad: Not according to all the Bone bashers. Program was horrible, no defense, team under achieved despite going to NIT final 4. You are right though, the program is in worse shape, and kids like Flynn leaving make it that way. I dont know what happened to this team after that great start, but Flynn and Franks bear as much responsibility as anyone for the mid season funk.
Remember those attendance numbers (although maybe Marlow was counting). We slipped around 400 per game in Klay's final season.

Back to the topic of the thread, we will miss Flynn's production and big shot ability. Definitely a gamer we need even if Franks were to return. Someone else will have to step into that role.

What always shocks me is how every year we buy into the hype of how this player or that player is going to come in from a JC and set the PAC 12 conference on fire and deliver WSU to the promised land. There is a reason why those players went to a JC in the first place and there is a reason why they are still available at this late date and that reason is not because they are sought after all stars. WSU plays in the “conference of champions” as Bill Walton reminds us 10 times a possession. JC competition can’t and doesn’t prepare athletes to compete in the PAC 12 that is why I personally like to se a guy with 3 years left that way maybe we get 2 decent years out of him but few contribute out of the gate.

Flynn will be missed, for sure. Some of the criticism of Flynn on other boards was insanely over the top. Folks said he wasn't a PAC-12 player, when clearly he is.

But he does have holes in his game (as does every player at this level). He's a weak defender in man, he looks to shoot before he passes, and he doesn't have a particular talent for getting to the line. All of these weaknesses combine to make it difficult to win if/when Malachi is having an off night as a shooter.

Another ballhandler like Robinson would have taken a lot of pressure off Flynn. Malachi could be more of a pure scorer rather than shouldering the burden of faciliating. With Flynn gone, I think we see a dip in scoring at PG. However, we should be better defensively and Robinson is going to create more easy buckets for others.

As far as Flynn to SDSU goes... I don't see this as a win for Malachi. He wants to play professionally someday and the PAC-12 schedule will be much better preparation for such a career. Everyone in this conference has NBA talent and competing against these guys better prepares you for a professional career (even if it's only in Europe). Maybe he makes the NCAA tournament, but realistically the Mountain West sends 1-2 teams a year and SDSU isn't a shoo in the way Gonzaga would have been.

If Flynn's goal is to play professionally he probably sees it playing the point. So while he's a shoot first guy who would be helped by moving off the ball to Flynn how does that help his pro aspirations? When Acquaah was the starter at PG at the start of the season Flynn didn't seem himself. I still wonder if the decision to make him more "shooting guard" helped make his decision to leave easier.

There was one poster over there who apparently had known Flynn from a young age who was over-the-top critical of his game. Some of it was fair but he/she took it way too far most of the time.

I did not fault Flynn when he was playing,that is true. I wanted the program and Flynn to succeed. There were so many critics that i did not want to join in. Football is a success but basketball has a long way to go.I will continue backing the team and i expect the team to be better next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT