ADVERTISEMENT

Football Schedule

I believe the games have been set for a while now, but the game times have been up in the air. I'm assuming this release (noon, PST) will give all the game times, so fans can now plan.

GHh5SlOXMAAT7JY

This schedule is already hot garbage with the inclusion of the opponent on Sept. 14th.

The ticket office is going to have a doozy selling home games this season.

Reactions: VandalBasher
I see 9-3
And maybe better if the stars align...I'd think Tech would be no greater challenge than Wisconsin. If we get past that game, OSU, SDSU, Fresno, BSU & UW look like anywhere from 2-3 to 5-0.

Realistically we are anywhere from 5 losses to 1. 3 is right in the middle and as good a guess as any at this point.

Reactions: kougkurt
This schedule is already hot garbage with the inclusion of the opponent on Sept. 14th.

We couldn’t sell more than 23k tickets for homecoming games vs P12 teams and we can’t sell out the lower bowl in Beasley with a 1st place team.

Nearly all of the games away from home are pretty tough matchups. All winnable, but the Cougs managed to get most of the tough road trips in the Mountain West as part of this scheduling arrangement (which also is to say we didn't get a couple of the better Mountain West draws in Pullman).

Fresno, Boise, and SDSU on the road aren't easy, nor will be playing away from home against UW or the Beavs. I like getting UW early in the season this year, especially, though. UW will probably look a lot better in October and November than in September.

Going to need to avoid slip-ups in Pullman, and they need to win that game against Tech.

Nearly all of the games away from home are pretty tough matchups. All winnable, but the Cougs managed to get most of the tough road trips in the Mountain West as part of this scheduling arrangement (which also is to say we didn't get a couple of the better Mountain West draws in Pullman).

Fresno, Boise, and SDSU on the road aren't easy, nor will be playing away from home against UW or the Beavs. I like getting UW early in the season this year, especially, though. UW will probably look a lot better in October and November than in September.

Going to need to avoid slip-ups in Pullman, and they need to win that game against Tech.
Now there is a progressive post. Nice job 425.

Others - c'mon get a grip. We knew who our opponents were, and H/A, a month or two ago. Just didn't have exact dates. But now you are outraged?

Here's some fun facts. Who won the last meeting between WSU and Fresno State, Hawaii, San Diego State and Utah State? Hint - NOT US! We did manage to pummel BSU by 3 and New México by 4 in those last meetings.

We have played every team on our schedule multiple times except Texas Tech. This is our lot and where we belong. The past is the past.

Ask me again after spring ball how we look vs. the others. We could win 7 games or we could win 11 games. Right now I don't have a clue.

Ask me again after spring ball how we look vs. the others. We could win 7 games or we could win 11 games. Right now I don't have a clue.

Where is the NFL talent? If not draft picks, free agents?

Who are the perimeter players that are legit ballers?

Who is the OL that is All League?

Who is on defense?

If the Pac 12 was still intact, how does this roster win any games in league play?

Against what could be the weakest schedule in 50 years for WSU, with so many question marks to be answered, I dunno how you can predict anything for WSU wins/losses.

I have WSU losing 3 out of those tough road games(Boise, Fresno, UW, Ore St, SDSU). Since Ore St lost a lot from last year's team, and since WSU has owned Ore St the last number of years, I think WSU beats Ore St, and SDSU, and loses to Boise, Fresno, UW on the road.

I think WSU loses 1 home game.

I think WSU goes 8-4

Not sure what to think about this. We aren’t in the mountain west…
Well....

We seem to be looking for a rebound relationship rather than a new marriage, at the moment. Maybe it gets more serious.

Last edited:

Maybe we go the route of Georgetown and get rid of football .

We have had crappy support since I have been on campus which was 79-83. We always expect more than what we are close to giving .

We're a 20-25K attendance G5 program in football. Apart from some sparkling anomaly seasons, we've always been that type of program.

Personally, I'm over it. One of my sons begins his freshman year in Pullman in August, and when he's done, I'm done. I've had a great time being a Coug fan from the early 80's through today. I think it's the best fan era in our history, but for me, it's time to let go. I just don't enjoy it as much anymore, and there are other things I'd rather do with my time.

Now there is a progressive post. Nice job 425.

Others - c'mon get a grip. We knew who our opponents were, and H/A, a month or two ago. Just didn't have exact dates. But now you are outraged?

Here's some fun facts. Who won the last meeting between WSU and Fresno State, Hawaii, San Diego State and Utah State? Hint - NOT US! We did manage to pummel BSU by 3 and New México by 4 in those last meetings.

We have played every team on our schedule multiple times except Texas Tech. This is our lot and where we belong. The past is the past.
We drew a difficult schedule from a logistics standpoint. Lots of opportunities for things to fall apart on the season. Every mountain West opponent will be looking to prove they can beat us, so expect to get everyone's best shot. Also important to note none of the weekday games have been set. Playing on the road back to back weeks increases the chance of a bad game. Throw in a Thursday/Friday kick off and we could be completely out of sorts.

We drew a difficult schedule from a logistics standpoint. Lots of opportunities for things to fall apart on the season. Every mountain West opponent will be looking to prove they can beat us, so expect to get everyone's best shot. Also important to note none of the weekday games have been set. Playing on the road back to back weeks increases the chance of a bad game. Throw in a Thursday/Friday kick off and we could be completely out of sorts.
Slowdown. What weekday games? IMHO/prediction, there will be no weekday games.

We're a 20-25K attendance G5 program in football. Apart from some sparkling anomaly seasons, we've always been that type of program.

Personally, I'm over it. One of my sons begins his freshman year in Pullman in August, and when he's done, I'm done. I've had a great time being a Coug fan from the early 80's through today. I think it's the best fan era in our history, but for me, it's time to let go. I just don't enjoy it as much anymore, and there are other things I'd rather do with my time.
That smells like an ass full of "sell out"

It would not surprise me to see weekday games. The key to that being a reasonable option is to play Thursday or Friday games immediately following a Bye weekend. And if there should be Monday night games, they must be on a Monday before the Bye week. And a Thursday/Friday game should NEVER force a team to travel to play after traveling to play the preceding weekend. That leads to bad football and more injuries.

That smells like an ass full of "sell out"
With very, very few exceptions, West coast collegiate football is a flickering pastime. As for WSU, our attendance needle hasn't moved since I started attending games in the late 70's. We have a core group of 10-20K diehard fans who attend several games a season, but that's it, and it's not going to change.

The schedule included the disclaimer that networks hadn't picked their games for weekdays. Since OSU/WSU are two of the biggest draws for the Mountain West, I would expect multiple of our road games to end up during the week.
It would not surprise me to see weekday games. The key to that being a reasonable option is to play Thursday or Friday games immediately following a Bye weekend. And if there should be Monday night games, they must be on a Monday before the Bye week. And a Thursday/Friday game should NEVER force a team to travel to play after traveling to play the preceding weekend. That leads to bad football and more injuries.
What leverage do we have to stop this. We will get 2 or possibly 3 of Fresno/SDSU/Boise during the week. These are part of the Mountain West's TV deal and we have zero leverage to fight this. We might be able to get our home games on the weekends in exchange for taking less money, but I somehow doubt Chun will go that route.

If our deal is with ESPN, expect most of our games on ESPN+ with the possibility of having our game with Tech moved to Friday. If we get FOX, we will be moved to wherever they need a spot filled (aka weekdays).

The schedule included the disclaimer that networks hadn't picked their games for weekdays. Since OSU/WSU are two of the biggest draws for the Mountain West, I would expect multiple of our road games to end up during the week.

What leverage do we have to stop this. We will get 2 or possibly 3 of Fresno/SDSU/Boise during the week. These are part of the Mountain West's TV deal and we have zero leverage to fight this. We might be able to get our home games on the weekends in exchange for taking less money, but I somehow doubt Chun will go that route.

If our deal is with ESPN, expect most of our games on ESPN+ with the possibility of having our game with Tech moved to Friday. If we get FOX, we will be moved to wherever they need a spot filled (aka weekdays).
I'm checking with my UNLV pals on this. IMHO, we will get a shit TV deal anyway, so F the networks if they try to move us, put the games on the Pac-2 network and cater to our ticket-holding fans. Whom we desperately need to hang on to.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I'm checking with my UNLV pals on this. IMHO, we will get a shit TV deal anyway, so F the networks if they try to move us, put the games on the Pac-2 network and cater to our ticket-holding fans. Whom we desperately need to hang on to.
Schulz/Chun will have us play all of our home games on Wednesday at noon in front 0 fans if it brings us 2 extra dollars of TV revenue.

We are tentatively planning to go to the game at Fresno. We are going to hit Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks while we are in the area.....if we go.
My pals at the UNLV site shared this for the Rebels:

2010 11 games on Saturday one at home on Thursday
2011 11 games on Saturday one on road on Thursday at Wisconsin
2012 11 games on Saturday one on Thursday at home verse Minnesota and one at home on Friday verse Washington State
2013 10 games on Saturday one on Thursday at Minnesota and one at Air Force on Thursday
2014 11 games on Saturday one on Friday at Arizona and one on Friday at home verse Fresno State
2015 11 games on Saturday and one on Friday at Fresno State
2016 10 games on Saturday one at Boise State on Friday and one at home on Thursday verse Jackson State
2017 10 games on Saturday and one on Friday at home verse byu and one at New Mexico on Friday
2018 11 games on Saturday and one on Friday at home verse Air Force
2019 11 games on Saturday and one on Friday at Fresno State
2020 Covid Year
2021 6 games on Saturday one on Thursday at home verse Eastern Washington, one at Fresno State on Friday, one at home verse SJSU on Thursday, one on Friday at unr, one on Friday at home verse SDSU, one on Friday at Air Force.
2022 9 on Saturday, 3 on Friday home New Mexico, at SJSU on Friday, and home on Friday verse Fresno State
2023 11 on Saturday and one on Friday home verse Wyoming

The media rights partners controlled the day of the week and start times. ESPN, previous contract, crapped on us with telling us we would have to play the days they wanted us which included Thursday games. ESPN would also stick us with some late local start times like 8:45 PM.

All that changed with the current media contract which started in 2020. Only Friday and Saturday games and no games starting later than 8:00pm local time. CBS Sports also, in the new media contract, gave us some games on CBS. Same with our basketball tournament where the championship game will be on CBS (national over the air not CBS sports network). The MWC football championship game is also on CBS. Fox with FS1 and FS2 is our other media partner and they follow the same day and time boundaries.

The pac-12 had the luxury of its own network so I'm sure you had control over days and times for your games. We on the other hand are at the mercy of our media partners. Welcome to the world of G5.

The media rights partners controlled the day of the week and start times. ESPN, previous contract, crapped on us with telling us we would have to play the days they wanted us which included Thursday games. ESPN would also stick us with some late local start times like 8:45 PM.

All that changed with the current media contract which started in 2020. Only Friday and Saturday games and no games starting later than 8:00pm local time. CBS Sports also, in the new media contract, gave us some games on CBS. Same with our basketball tournament where the championship game will be on CBS (national over the air not CBS sports network). The MWC football championship game is also on CBS. Fox with FS1 and FS2 is our other media partner and they follow the same day and time boundaries.

The pac-12 had the luxury of its own network so I'm sure you had control over days and times for your games. We on the other hand are at the mercy of our media partners. Welcome to the world of G5.
Sort of. The P12 network actually usually got the leftovers - the ESPN & Fox networks cherry-picked the games they wanted and set their game times. ESPN might put them on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Pac-12 games were frequently 7:30 kickoffs.
At one point we had a restriction that limited us to only on Thursday game per year. I’m not sure if it continued to present. There wasn’t a restriction on Fridays that I know of, but we didn’t have many Friday games. Some seasons, the majority of our home dates were late kicks.

Reactions: HCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT