ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Holmes

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Rob Rainville just posted on social media that Gary Holmes has passed away. No details (or official confirmation) yet, other than that he was found deceased at his home.

If true, this is obviously very sad news. He was a WSU legend. RIP.

Terrible. I was in awe of that guy. Such a big dude. He dominated with a bad back. Had he been healthy, I think he would have been an elite NFL player.

Sad news. Thoughts with his family and former teammates.

Last edited:
Rob Rainville just posted on social media that Gary Holmes has passed away. No details (or official confirmation) yet, other than that he was found deceased at his home.

If true, this is obviously very sad news. He was a WSU legend. RIP.

Three of the four defensive line starters on the 1998 Rose Bowl have passed away.

Shane Doyle is coaching high school football in Spokane last time I checked.

Three of the four defensive line starters on the 1998 Rose Bowl have passed away.

Shane Doyle is coaching high school football in Spokane last time I checked.

Yes, and of course Steve Gleason is fighting his battle with ALS.

The 1997 team was the best in program history, and the best year of my life personally. These tragedies are heartbreaking.

Damn, and when I saw the thread with just his name it was my first thought, has he passed away? We lose too manybgood people far too soon

The 1997 team was the best in program history, and the best year of my life personally. These tragedies are heartbreaking.
Why was it the best year if your life

Why was it the best year if your life

So many good things happened to me in 1997. My career was starting to take off, I met my ex-wife (I’ve come to regret that, but at the time we were happy...lol...it led to my twin boys, so I look back fondly on that). The Cougs had their historic season, I was in the prime of my life, student loans were getting paid off. It was a year when everything was happy and fun. There was nothing but optimism.

College was the best time of my life, but whenever anyone asks what the best year of my life was, I say 1997 without hesitation.

So many good things happened to me in 1997. My career was starting to take off, I met my ex-wife (I’ve come to regret that, but at the time we were happy...lol...it led to my twin boys, so I look back fondly on that). The Cougs had their historic season, I was in the prime of my life, student loans were getting paid off. It was a year when everything was happy and fun. There was nothing but optimism.

College was the best time of my life, but whenever anyone asks what the best year of my life was, I say 1997 without hesitation.
Very Cool. Just wondering

It's been only 21 years since the 1998 Rose Bowl. Life has many twists and turns, many of them sad and tragic. I have a personal connection with Leon Bender's passing. These guys were larger than life in many respects.

Reactions: CougPatrol
Anytime I see a post subject header with only a name, I cringe. Seems as if it's always bad news.
Unfortunately true and my thoughts and prayers to him and his family. I don't remember many players with his combination of size and athletic ability.

I remember watch Gary throw the Javelin in a high school track meet. He was a man among boys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT