ADVERTISEMENT

Good news on Pac-12 media rights agreement per Kirk Schulz

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
The WSU boss is quoted for a story in the San Jose Mercury News today:

Dr. Schultz seems optimistic a deal is just around the corner.

“A lot of presidents are talking back and forth,” he said. “It’s not just the 10 of us getting together for a meeting. There are individual calls. We’re asking how people are feeling. What are certain schools looking for? There are a lot of conversations going on, and with the commissioner, as well. Some schools have a little trepidation about what (the media deal) will look like. But I don’t feel at all like anyone is spiraling off into places of despair.

Sounds like schools leaving the conference just for more dollars is overrated.

“People generally look at this like it’s a chessboard and think, ‘Of course, Oregon and Washington will go somewhere else.’ But (presidents) actually look at what’s good for the student-athletes and what rivalries will look like,” Schulz said.

"Fans think about the money. But are you really improving your situation? A lot of schools have thought the grass was greener, and they went after more money, but they haven’t enjoyed the change. Winning matters. The idea that the most money makes the most sense, I don’t know about that.

The president said we should hear something about the agreement in "mid-March, hopefully."

Thanks, Pete.

"Fans think about the money. But are you really improving your situation? A lot of schools have thought the grass was greener, and they went after more money, but they haven’t enjoyed the change. Winning matters. The idea that the most money makes the most sense, I don’t know about that.

I can interpret the above commentary in several different ways. I can't read his mind. But what comes to my mind first when I read this is a couple of things:

- The money improvement is not all that it seemed in many cases, and at least some schools have found that it does not net out to have been as big a financial benefit as they initially believed.
- The phrase, "winning matters" is what I expect UCLA to find, in addition to not netting out the full money differential that they were sold upon.
- I suspect that Oregon and Washington have been reflecting upon these same things.

Taken in that context, "The idea that the most money makes the most sense, I don’t know about that.” suggests that if the net money is at all close, moving to a league where your travel becomes a financial, social and practical burden is a bad idea. I'd be inclined to agree. At what ever point in March or April that we know how the media deal works, we'll have a much better picture.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Thanks, Pete.

I can interpret the above commentary in several different ways. I can't read his mind. But what comes to my mind first when I read this is a couple of things:

- The money improvement is not all that it seemed in many cases, and at least some schools have found that it does not net out to have been as big a financial benefit as they initially believed.
- The phrase, "winning matters" is what I expect UCLA to find, in addition to not netting out the full money differential that they were sold upon.
- I suspect that Oregon and Washington have been reflecting upon these same things.

Taken in that context, "The idea that the most money makes the most sense, I don’t know about that.” suggests that if the net money is at all close, moving to a league where your travel becomes a financial, social and practical burden is a bad idea. I'd be inclined to agree. At what ever point in March or April that we know how the media deal works, we'll have a much better picture.
Or, there's the other interpretation:

We know nobody's going to give us the money we want, so we're going to act like we don't really want it anyway.

if the goal is winning the conference and making it to the CFP, then you might take less media money in turn for a better chance.

This is/was the point that will be interesting to see how well it works for UCLA and USC.

Also, if I am the Pac-12, I am already thinking about how we can get those schools back in the fold for the next round.

No college president who takes the money regrets the decision. Especially in a world with NIL. Schulz is spinning but he's inept. Winning titles is nice, but a university president would much rather count hundreds at his desk in between interviews for the next coach/AD who replaces the scapegoats for losing.

Reactions: crimsonstone
if the goal is winning the conference and making it to the CFP, then you might take less media money in turn for a better chance.

This is/was the point that will be interesting to see how well it works for UCLA and USC.

Also, if I am the Pac-12, I am already thinking about how we can get those schools back in the fold for the next round.
I think he's trying to say that UCLA will officaially be an also ran, and a New Year's Day Bowl for USC will now be a banner season. Nebraska ain't done diddly squat despite more cash.

But once those schools are receiving that sweet cash, there is no going back. The athletic department's finances are based on getting it, especially if they are going to issue any bonds.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Shultz also has to "sell" taking a little less per school then what the Big-12 is estimated to take per school.

Less travel. Student athlete welfare. Preserving regional rivalries. All those things are selling points to their stake holders at least for this go round.

Last edited:
Brand X had an item last week that the Big Ten doesn't appear "remotely interested" in Oregon and Washington.

So it appears the 10 teams are really united at this point.

How has moving conferences worked for Nebraska Texas an and m and Missouri ? Maryland ?

Will ucla or usc see a big 19 championship ? Play for a final four spot before they moved to 8 or 12

Nebraska and Maryland and Rutgers have more cash. They are not the marquee programs of the conference.

I think their admin is fine with the money honestly.

Reactions: 250vertical
There is talk that the conference may do what MLS has done and go entirely to a streaming service. In fact, they may go to Apple TV like MLS.

• Wow
The WSU boss is quoted for a story in the San Jose Mercury News today:

Dr. Schultz seems optimistic a deal is just around the corner.

“A lot of presidents are talking back and forth,” he said. “It’s not just the 10 of us getting together for a meeting. There are individual calls. We’re asking how people are feeling. What are certain schools looking for? There are a lot of conversations going on, and with the commissioner, as well. Some schools have a little trepidation about what (the media deal) will look like. But I don’t feel at all like anyone is spiraling off into places of despair.

Sounds like schools leaving the conference just for more dollars is overrated.

“People generally look at this like it’s a chessboard and think, ‘Of course, Oregon and Washington will go somewhere else.’ But (presidents) actually look at what’s good for the student-athletes and what rivalries will look like,” Schulz said.

The president said we should hear something about the agreement in "mid-March, hopefully."

Shulz was supposedly well connected with the inner circles of the Pac 12 presidents and the NCAA. Yet he and his staff were completely blindsided by the USC/UCLA issue.
Now we are told that the remaining 10 presidents are having, not just meetings, but ACTUAL INDIVIDUAL PHONE CALLS between themselves to try to mitigate the damage!
It’s difficult to have confidence in this inept group of self-promoting bumblers.

Shulz was supposedly well connected with the inner circles of the Pac 12 presidents and the NCAA. Yet he and his staff were completely blindsided by the USC/UCLA issue.
Now we are told that the remaining 10 presidents are having, not just meetings, but ACTUAL INDIVIDUAL PHONE CALLS between themselves to try to mitigate the damage!
It’s difficult to have confidence in this inept group of self-promoting bumblers.

Apparently Dr. Schultz is held in high regard by his peers. Wilner or Canzano (I think it was the latter) was speculating Schulz could eventually be in line to take over as president of the NCAA.

Apparently Dr. Schultz is held in high regard by his peers. Wilner or Canzano (I think it was the latter) was speculating Schulz could eventually be in line to take over as president of the NCAA.
And pigs might fly out of my ass. Of course that POS Emmert got the job, so who knows?

Reactions: crimsonstone

The ineptitude of the presidents is mind numbing. How do you not see how much $$$ is rolling into programs across the country and not take steps to replicate it?

The best thing the Pac 10 could do is fire their administrations across the board and start over. Get people in these jobs that know what they’re doing. For the tens of millions at stake, these asshats are keystone cops. They should be scheduling buses for junior high track meets.

If you think Im being mean, imagine if I were a uw fan that watched the program go from CP to Jimmy F’ing Lake…. then fire him…. then pay him $10,000,000 NOT to coach. Imagine having to tell your employer that you screwed up the hire so you had to fire the guy….. and pay him $10,000,000 because of the contract you offered him. How the f’ck do you have a job?

Watching the Pac 10 presidents keep Michael Scott for all those years tells me everything I need to know. They suck azz.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
The ineptitude of the presidents is mind numbing. How do you not see how much $$$ is rolling into programs across the country and not take steps to replicate it?

The best thing the Pac 10 could do is fire their administrations across the board and start over. Get people in these jobs that know what they’re doing. For the tens of millions at stake, these asshats are keystone cops. They should be scheduling buses for junior high track meets.

If you think Im being mean, imagine if I were a uw fan that watched the program go from CP to Jimmy F’ing Lake…. then fire him…. then pay him $10,000,000 NOT to coach. Imagine having to tell your employer that you screwed up the hire so you had to fire the guy….. and pay him $10,000,000 because of the contract you offered him. How the f’ck do you have a job?

Watching the Pac 10 presidents keep Michael Scott for all those years tells me everything I need to know. They suck azz.
We sometimes forget they are an academic institution first. Yes, sports and football bring in money and prestige. But guess what...before we could pass it off as a student athlete experiment. Now? It doesn't even pretend to be that. And the deeper we get into NIL and unfettered movement, the more many will step away.

We sometimes forget they are an academic institution first. Yes, sports and football bring in money and prestige. But guess what...before we could pass it off as a student athlete experiment. Now? It doesn't even pretend to be that. And the deeper we get into NIL and unfettered movement, the more many will step away.

It is a business first. If the bills aren’t paid, the doors of academics close.

You are wrong.

The West coast is already stepping away from college football, and the fans aren't likely to come back. High school football is declining, and has been for years.

Young people out West weren't indoctrinated into the history and pageantry of college football the way people were in the Midwest, Southwest, and Southeast. It's a multigenerational tradition back there, but that's not the case here. My boys are juniors in high school, and while they're excited about going to college, they wouldn't attend a game if it wasn't for me. I probably know 2/3 of the kids in their graduating class, and none of them care.

TikTok, Netflix, YouTube, Instagram, snapchat, discord. That's what kids are into these days, and it's not going away. Spend money to sit outdoors and watch a 4 hour football game? LOL, kids don't spend 4 hours a month outdoors.

The West coast is different. Collegiate athletics don't matter much anymore.

The enrollment cliff is coming. You will see schools do whatever it takes to keep students enrolled. It wont be just an arms race for athletic facilities. It will be an arms race for campus life.

Athletics, specifically football, add to campus life. Losing football hurts. Winning football helps. The pathetic commitment to football from the Pac 10 schools as a whole will hurt them in the long run.

The enrollment cliff is coming. You will see schools do whatever it takes to keep students enrolled. It wont be just an arms race for athletic facilities. It will be an arms race for campus life.

Athletics, specifically football, add to campus life. Losing football hurts. Winning football helps. The pathetic commitment to football from the Pac 10 schools as a whole will hurt them in the long run.
I was surprised to see this mentioned, but in my view it is the key point. Many FCS schools manage the campus life aspect to a lesser degree, and so could WSU. But we have to be honest about the "lesser" degree aspect of it. Attendance comes along with being at a particular athletic level. If you ever, ever doubted that, look at Gonzaga.

The enrollment cliff is a blip, not a trend. But it will be a real blip for a couple of years, and in the longer term athletics adds to the school experience and will make an attendance difference. A big enough difference to justify the cost? I'd say that remains to be seen, but it would be a stupid strategy to not play it as though it is justified, at least for the next 5-10 years, then re-evaluate if things change further.

Let's be honest fellas. What makes you proud to wear your WSU gear. For me it's when we are kick a$$ in sports. The degree means little especially since it was an undergraduate degree. I am most "proud" to say I went to WSU when the Cougs are in the Rose Bowl or make the NCAA tournament. I would be much more "proud" if we were contending for national titles and Final Four appearances! We need to be dominate at sports if we want to improve academic, campus, this alumnus' life! We aren't Ivy league and we never will be. The fact of life.

I was surprised to see this mentioned, but in my view it is the key point. Many FCS schools manage the campus life aspect to a lesser degree, and so could WSU. But we have to be honest about the "lesser" degree aspect of it. Attendance comes along with being at a particular athletic level. If you ever, ever doubted that, look at Gonzaga.

The enrollment cliff is a blip, not a trend. But it will be a real blip for a couple of years, and in the longer term athletics adds to the school experience and will make an attendance difference. A big enough difference to justify the cost? I'd say that remains to be seen, but it would be a stupid strategy to not play it as though it is justified, at least for the next 5-10 years, then re-evaluate if things change further.

With declining birth rates the enrollment cliff is not going to be a blip. It will be a steady decline. We will see schools close their doors.

With declining birth rates the enrollment cliff is not going to be a blip. It will be a steady decline. We will see schools close their doors.
Agree, but that is going in a different direction than my comments.

Yes, birth rate is declining (both US and world wide) and has been for a while. This is partially offset in the US by child immigrants, but not fully. Ergo, it is a logical conclusion that either some schools will close, the states will decide to be more generous with funding, or both. And the schools that will close will be those with the least interested and/or influential supporters. I see a lot of consolidation ahead over the next 20 years for liberal arts schools that do not provide employment-ready educations. I see the role of schools who provide night classes being strengthened, because the birthrate decline will impact them the least (in CA, we have a lot of immigrants in night school, or at least we did prior to Covid class disruption; I think that will return over the next 2-3 years). Schools like EWU will survive because they also serve the needs of working adult students in a metro area. Schools like CWU with less of a metro/night cohort will hurt more. JC's that are poorly led and don't fit the needs of their community will wither, while JC's that are on top of what their communities want/need will do OK.

Higher Ed is long overdue for a "weeding out" process, and each institution's ability to provide a valued educational experience, along with the influence of its alum group, will dictate which weeds are removed from the gene pool.

Let's be honest fellas. What makes you proud to wear your WSU gear. For me it's when we are kick a$$ in sports.
You're asking that question on a message board for sports fans. I don't personally disagree with you, but a lot of WSU alumni and students would.

How many people are currently enrolled and attending WSU Pullman? 16K? Of that number, maybe 6-8K students attend games. System wide, WSU's enrollment is nearing 30K. The majority of WSU students don't attend football games. With the emergence of branch and online campuses, along with our new Medical School, WSU is well positioned (and well funded) as the #2 public university in WA. We're arguably the 2nd best public academic university in the Pacific and Inland NW.

Athletics do matter, but regardless of where the shoe finally drops with regard to our conference affiliation, WSU will compete in sports. The day will come when we have to sit back and watch UW and Oregon compete at the highest level, but their day of reconning is coming as well.

To answer your question, what makes me proud to wear my WSU gear is the fact that I had a GREAT time attending college in Pullman. The friends I had, the parties, the drives back and forth over the mountains, the football memories of the 80s and 90s were incredible. The path I wandered down in Pullman led me to a fantastic career and becoming a Dad to my boys. As much I love it when our sports teams are good, much more often than not, we weren't. If the decision to attend WSU were based solely on athletic department success, I'd steer my kids towards UW or Oregon, but that's ridiculous. WSU was and is the best public school in the NW to attend. That's not going to change if we land in a lesser conference.

Last edited:
It is a business first. If the bills aren’t paid, the doors of academics close.

You are wrong.
State agencies aren't businesses. Football isn't going to close the doors. There would certainly be impact, but the university isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: OrangeGravy

Yes, birth rate is declining (both US and world wide) and has been for a while. This is partially offset in the US by child immigrants, but not fully. Ergo, it is a logical conclusion that either some schools will close, the states will decide to be more generous with funding, or both. And the schools that will close will be those with the least interested and/or influential supporters. I see a lot of consolidation ahead over the next 20 years for liberal arts schools that do not provide employment-ready educations. I see the role of schools who provide night classes being strengthened, because the birthrate decline will impact them the least (in CA, we have a lot of immigrants in night school, or at least we did prior to Covid class disruption; I think that will return over the next 2-3 years). Schools like EWU will survive because they also serve the needs of working adult students in a metro area. Schools like CWU with less of a metro/night cohort will hurt more. JC's that are poorly led and don't fit the needs of their community will wither, while JC's that are on top of what their communities want/need will do OK.

Higher Ed is long overdue for a "weeding out" process, and each institution's ability to provide a valued educational experience, along with the influence of its alum group, will dictate which weeds are removed from the gene pool.
You touch on it a little here, and what we're going to continue to see is schools turn away from the traditional high school grad students that are white and 18-22. There's a very good reason why WSU - and many other universities - were strongly in favor of the Dreamers act. College recruiting of immigrant kids is huge right now, and will continue to be. Those are the kids who still want to go to college, and there's plenty of people willing to pay for those kids to go. Those kids also care less about college sports than traditional students have.

I think we have seen a lot of admin and profs get rich off kids.

The cost is going to plummet. The enrollment standards are going to plummet. Schools will do whatever it takes to get kids in. D3 football is actually gaining programs. Could prob say the same for lacrosse.

Schools will either find a way to get kids enrolled or they will close their doors. Even state funding won’t be enough.

State agencies aren't businesses. Football isn't going to close the doors. There would certainly be impact, but the university isn't going anywhere.

Oh really? So the $$$ that flows in from tv deals or game day doesn’t matter cause it’s a state agency?

There are plenty of schools that have closed their doors. Public schools with state funding are not exempt.

So yes, they are businesses because they will close of the money stops.

Oh really? So the $$$ that flows in from tv deals or game day doesn’t matter cause it’s a state agency?

There are plenty of schools that have closed their doors. Public schools with state funding are not exempt.

So yes, they are businesses because they will close of the money stops.
The money coming from TV deals and gameday isn't going to academics. There's an unquantifiable impact on enrollment, but there's not a dime of TV money that pays for custodians in Todd Hall.

Football could end completely and WSU would continue to operate. The example that jumps to mind is Western - a state-funded public school that canceled football in 2008. Their headcount from 2008 to 2009 fell by less than half a percent, and recovered by 2010. They're not directly comparable since they played a much lower level, but there's not a good comparison because no FBS-level campus has gone under.

The only indication of public campuses closing that I can find are consolidations of systems that had a bunch of campuses (Wisconsin) or bought out other (private) institutions and restructured after the purchase (Purdue). There are hundreds of small private campuses that have gone under (a lot of them with religious affiliation), but not a shred of evidence to suggest a that a major state school would go under.

The money coming from TV deals and gameday isn't going to academics. There's an unquantifiable impact on enrollment, but there's not a dime of TV money that pays for custodians in Todd Hall.

Football could end completely and WSU would continue to operate. The example that jumps to mind is Western - a state-funded public school that canceled football in 2008. Their headcount from 2008 to 2009 fell by less than half a percent, and recovered by 2010. They're not directly comparable since they played a much lower level, but there's not a good comparison because no FBS-level campus has gone under.

The only indication of public campuses closing that I can find are consolidations of systems that had a bunch of campuses (Wisconsin) or bought out other (private) institutions and restructured after the purchase (Purdue). There are hundreds of small private campuses that have gone under (a lot of them with religious affiliation), but not a shred of evidence to suggest a that a major state school would go under.

Can WSU watch the tv $ go away? Can they watch the game day cash go away? No.

This is about the enrollment cliff. If WSU’s enrollment cuts in half, it’s a disaster.

The idea that education isn’t a business is folly. If the enrollment drops the state funding drops with it.

I am not surprised there are few if any examples because there hasn’t been a drop like what is going to happen. It will be uncharted territory. Western is a poor example at best because of the lack of impact the football team had on campus. Not many choose WWU because of the football team. Take away the hippie culture and weed???? Now they have a problem.

You are moving the goal posts on the debate to serve your purpose. Schools are a business and will close if the students stop coming.

Can WSU watch the tv $ go away? Can they watch the game day cash go away? No.

This is about the enrollment cliff. If WSU’s enrollment cuts in half, it’s a disaster.

The idea that education isn’t a business is folly. If the enrollment drops the state funding drops with it.

I am not surprised there are few if any examples because there hasn’t been a drop like what is going to happen. It will be uncharted territory. Western is a poor example at best because of the lack of impact the football team had on campus. Not many choose WWU because of the football team. Take away the hippie culture and weed???? Now they have a problem.

You are moving the goal posts on the debate to serve your purpose. Schools are a business and will close if the students stop coming.
The goalposts haven’t moved. WSU will not close if football goes away. Enrollment would see an impact, hard to say how much. But it’s likely that in response, they’d step up international recruiting.

Education is a business, but at a state school it’s not run like one, and the state won’t let it fail. Football or no.

The goalposts haven’t moved. WSU will not close if football goes away. Enrollment would see an impact, hard to say how much. But it’s likely that in response, they’d step up international recruiting.

Education is a business, but at a state school it’s not run like one, and the state won’t let it fail. Football or no.

It isnt just WSU. It is any state school. Again, you are moving the goal posts. Stop.

Yes, states will let schools close. Enough lies.

It isnt just WSU. It is any state school. Again, you are moving the goal posts. Stop.

WSU doesn't even need to lose sports...

WSU is screwed if we somehow go Big Sky too. The size of the school is of MAJOR importance!

Is anyone really thinking that we are different than Eastern Washington if we go Big Sky?

I take that back...

Eastern Washington would have a good shot at having bigger/more enrollment than WSU. It might not happen in 5 years, but in 50? You bet.

WSU doesn't even need to lose sports...

WSU is screwed if we somehow go Big Sky too. The size of the school is of MAJOR importance!

Is anyone really thinking that we are different than Eastern Washington if we go Big Sky?

I take that back...

Eastern Washington would have a good shot at having bigger/more enrollment than WSU. It might not happen in 5 years, but in 50? You bet.
Why are you suggesting that we’d fall all the way down to the Big Sky? If the P12 blows up and we ended up in a hybrid version of the MWC and PAC, it wouldn’t be as disastrous as some of you project. The money would decrease, but it would still be significant compared to the other NW schools not named UW and Oregon.

Last edited:

Biggs, you have made some good point points in this thread, but you don't really know shit about Higher ed, particularly public Higher Ed. I do, I spent 28 years in it, a lot of years at WSU, but at other places too. I worked for Sam Smith, Lane Rawlings, and Elson Floyd. Used to pee next to all of them in the 4th floor French Ad bathroom..

So get off your your high horse dude. You do not know shit. So STHU.

And I knew Sterk, Moos, and slick Rick Dickson.

Last edited:

Yeah, you’re going to have to explain how the goalposts have moved. I’ve been pretty consistent - WSU isn’t closing. Not happening.

Diminishing football would have an unquantifiable negative impact in visibility, which would show up in enrollment to some degree. But it wouldn’t threaten campus existence. WSU’s own numbers show that the entire athletic department brings in about $70M per year, and it’s known that the bulk of that is football. And, the AD spends every penny of it, plus another $5-10M. They’re not funneling cash into the university coffers. Never have. Even if they were, the legislative allocation to WSU in the most recent supplementary budget was just shy of $581M. The entire AD revenue would be ~11% of the state funded budget. Big enough a piece to notice, but not an existential crisis. Oh, and the university also pulls down another $300+M in research dollars and $275M in tuition….so that AD revenue (which doesn’t fund the university anyway) is actually less than 6%.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT