ADVERTISEMENT

Gordon

Does anyone know if Gordons and E-sops Winstons rumbled into the bay and showed their hometown fans how beastly they are?

I have said at the start ... oh well. leach is again being stubborn and made the wrong call on the starting QB. The defense of and outrage at my posts was amazing. Having an experienced proven winner as a potential starter was pooh paad by many posters who said it was obvious as to who was the better Qb A proven highly competitive winner may have made a big difference but we will never know. The possibility of a losing season and no bowl game is a possibility​

Reactions: sellas
I have said at the start ... oh well. leach is again being stubborn and made the wrong call on the starting QB. The defense of and outrage at my posts was amazing. Having an experienced proven winner as a potential starter was pooh paad by many posters who said it was obvious as to who was the better Qb A proven highly competitive winner may have made a big difference but we will never know. The possibility of a losing season and no bowl game is a possibility​
Gubrud is more reckless than Gordon. But Gordon is careless and panics. One is really not better than the other....so yeah, I think we should have seen more Gubrud this year.

Right.

Leach was AC's biggest supporter all season long. Don't blame Gibbons or any other fan. Our opinions mean squat.

Glad Cougar

Yah Gibbon go back and read my posts before you come up with the Horse pucky that Gubrad was inaccurate and could nto run the offense .What a BS post with zero insight . I believe you were one of AC s biggest supporters at the beginning of the season Right

Your posts don’t make Gubrud an accurate passer.

If you think they do, you’re the one suffering delusions.

Last edited:
Gordon is regressing Teams have figured him out.

Doesn’t check run

Doesn’t use his feet to extend plays.

Is frantic when they are down.

I’d look at Cooper if this continues. Point to the future.

With all the deficiencies on the defense and O-line , I still don’t get the Gordon criticisms. When allowed time, kid has been solid. Cal effectively destroyed whatever run game Cougs attempted.

Gordon is regressing Teams have figured him out.

Doesn’t check run

Doesn’t use his feet to extend plays.

Is frantic when they are down.

I’d look at Cooper if this continues. Point to the future.

If Im the opposing DC... Stop the run, stop the deep pass, limit their best player doing what he does best, take away the next best option.

Those are my goals...

WSU takes away the run themselves. Ok thats easy.

Because I dont have to defend the run, now I have more bodies to defend the deep pass. Ok thats easy.

Max Borghi is the best player on offense. What does he do best? Run the ball. That isnt gonna happen. WSU takes that away for me. Thats done.

Who is the next best player? Arcanado. Lets do our best to either limit him or push all the passes to him by defending other guys.

What else to worry about??? wild formations? no
gimmick plays? maybe a couple. option? no. qb running the ball? no. home run hitter long runs or deep passes? not really.

WSU does nothing to make a defense think. Leach does nothing to make a defense prepare to defend anything but short to medium passes.

The really good defensive coaches, the guys that understand the air raid and the decision making process of the qb, have no prob shutting it down. Cal, uw, ASU and Utah have it almost figured out too.

The offense has to grow or the offense is going to die.

If Im the opposing DC... Stop the run, stop the deep pass, limit their best player doing what he does best, take away the next best option.

Those are my goals...

WSU takes away the run themselves. Ok thats easy.

Because I dont have to defend the run, now I have more bodies to defend the deep pass. Ok thats easy.

Max Borghi is the best player on offense. What does he do best? Run the ball. That isnt gonna happen. WSU takes that away for me. Thats done.

Who is the next best player? Arcanado. Lets do our best to either limit him or push all the passes to him by defending other guys.

What else to worry about??? wild formations? no
gimmick plays? maybe a couple. option? no. qb running the ball? no. home run hitter long runs or deep passes? not really.

WSU does nothing to make a defense think. Leach does nothing to make a defense prepare to defend anything but short to medium passes.

The really good defensive coaches, the guys that understand the air raid and the decision making process of the qb, have no prob shutting it down. Cal, uw, ASU and Utah have it almost figured out too.

The offense has to grow or the offense is going to die.
I'm surprised UO hasn't figured it out....they have a couple of our old defensive coaches, a reportedly very good DC in Avalos, and some talented players to make it all happen. Yet each year, including this year, our offense has been effective against the Ducks. It must be a lot more complex than it seems.

Glad Cougar

I'm surprised UO hasn't figured it out....they have a couple of our old defensive coaches, a reportedly very good DC in Avalos, and some talented players to make it all happen. Yet each year, including this year, our offense has been effective against the Ducks. It must be a lot more complex than it seems.

Glad Cougar

I think some guys get it and some guys don't. Be honest, have you been impressed with Oregon's coaching staff?

biggs, arcanado is not the next best offensive player after Borghi-hes just the player Gordon locks onto.

The opposing DC just needs to smother arcanado-who isn't fast, and then Gordon will panic.

biggs, arcanado is not the next best offensive player after Borghi-hes just the player Gordon locks onto.

The opposing DC just needs to smother arcanado-who isn't fast, and then Gordon will panic.
You just defined the most important player to this offense .

We played 4 games without Arconado and Gordon didn't panic in those games. I'm not so sure other receivers were getting open last night, Arco was pretty consistently. I'm not defending Gordon, he had a bad game last night. But he gets way too much blame for this year's problems. Did he panic vs. UO on that last 90 yard drive?

Glad Cougar

I don't think Gordon is seeing the whole field and spreading the ball around enough. I think our more talented recievers are getting open at times, but Gordon locks onto one receiver too much. Arcanado does a good job, but this offense isn't effective when the qb locks onto one receiver instead of seeing the whole field and going through his reads.

Gordon played well at Oregon. The same cant be said for many of our games.

Gibbon is so predictable He just regurgitates what is spoon fed to him. I wonder if Gabrud will play CFL ? I like his chances if he is given a tryout and a fair chance. He was a proven commodity before he transferred. I believe that he even beat a P 5 team?lets see he completed passes for.9,954 yards and 87 Tds . Against Central Washington He completed 82 % of his passes for 5 Tds and 337 yards with zero interceptions. He was a 2 time Walter Payton award Nominee during his career. I bet a lot of coaches would have loved to have him

Last edited:
Gibbon is so predictable He just regurgitates what is spoon fed to him. I wonder if Gabrud will play CFL ? I like his chances if he is given a tryout and a fair chance. He was a proven commodity before he transferred. I believe that he even beat a P 5 team?lets see he completed passes for.9,954 yards and 87 Tds . Against Central Washington He completed 82 % of his passes for 5 Tds and 337 yards with zero interceptions. He was a 2 time Walter Payton award Nominee during his career. I bet a lot of coaches would have loved to have him

Name someone else that actually offered him a scholarship.

Just check the records son Those "made up shit " Statistics are on the WSU website So quit making :shit UP" to make your selves look informed, Here is some more "shit made up" Gabrud passed for 477 yards yards and 5 tds with 77 yards rushing in a 45-42 win against a P 5 School Name that school school folks?... Hmmm... just a guess but it may have been a leach coached team? Another question folks. who was the head coach of that team? Could it be Beau Baldwin " Third question where is he coaching now? Could it be California whose defense just gave the cougs a good ass kicking?/\ We all should have known the answers to these simple questions.. I bet he was happy that he did not have to face Gabrud damn it is hard making this shit up!!

I guess you don’t count the stats from fall camp.

Gabrud passed for 477 yards yards and 5 tds with 77 yards rushing in a 45-42 win against a P 5 School Name that school school folks?... Hmmm... just a guess but it may have been a leach coached team?

Doesn’t that kind of weaken your point? Passing for 477 yards against us isn’t very newsworthy.

Perhaps its time to simply realize that Falk/ Minshew/ Gordon all have one quality in common - they're playing in CML's air raid scheme, which has been shown to be very easily defended by those who focus on it, ie Peterson, Wilcox, and others to a lesser extent.

There is something very specific that Leach isn't teaching his qb's when they face those defenses. Minshew is incredibly cerebral, and could start for half the NFL teams and even he couldn't succeed. And before you give me the "well, they had NFL defensive talent" line, we were playing with NFL talent on our side of the ball as well.

From 1000' I would say that both CP and JW simply drop 8 and focus on taking away the over the top pass, settling on giving up underneath and check down passing, as well as whatever running the Cougs (don't) do.

I mean, the AR is working correctly against those coaches - there are open areas of the field, and its all underneath, with no room for YAC. The defense is simply dictating which open areas the qb can throw to.

Anyway, while we do all see Gordon's faults, and no doubt he has a couple that will hinder him from progressing past this level, playing Cal and UW tends to make all of our qbs look like chumps, even if they are NFL talented.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Good stuff Bleed. Weaver alluded to this is his interview after the game. He basically said, WSU is going to get yards, we concentrated on keeping points off the board, not yards. LIke you said, AR uses space on the fiedl to get open, when that space is clogged up with 8 defenders, things are tough...As an AR offense approaches the goal line, space is at a premium even with 6 or 7 in coverage, let alone 8....makes it tough in the red zone if only AR is ran

Good stuff Bleed. Weaver alluded to this is his interview after the game. He basically said, WSU is going to get yards, we concentrated on keeping points off the board, not yards. LIke you said, AR uses space on the fiedl to get open, when that space is clogged up with 8 defenders, things are tough...As an AR offense approaches the goal line, space is at a premium even with 6 or 7 in coverage, let alone 8....makes it tough in the red zone if only AR is ran

Clemson has a freezer package for short yardage and goal line. They bring in the DL beef eaters. It isnt their scheme per say. Its about winning.

If I could have 5 minutes with Leach over a beer, I'd ask him why we don't add a direct snap to Borghi or Harris in some short yardage situations. Swing Gordon out wide and snap the damn ball. There's not enough time for the d-ends to crash down, and if they do so aggressively, you can deek them and get around the corner.

For me, this is an absolute no brainer inclusion to the air raid. There are very few programs, especially in the P12, that can put enough beef up front and stuff a direct snap on 3rd and 1.

Last edited:
If I could 5 minutes with Leach over a beer, I'd ask him why we don't add a direct snap to Borghi or Harris in some short yardage situations. Swing Gordon out wide and snap the damn ball. There's not enough time for the d-ends to crash down, and if they do so aggressively, you can deek them and get around the corner.

For me, this is an absolute no brainer inclusion to the air raid. There are very few programs, especially in the P12, that can put enough beef up front and stuff a direct snap on 3rd and 1.

He has addressed it. It becomes predictable. You eliminate half the offense. And he hated the wildcat.

We didn't really get near the goal line.

Perhaps its time to simply realize that Falk/ Minshew/ Gordon all have one quality in common - they're playing in CML's air raid scheme, which has been shown to be very easily defended by those who focus on it, ie Peterson, Wilcox, and others to a lesser extent.

There is something very specific that Leach isn't teaching his qb's when they face those defenses. Minshew is incredibly cerebral, and could start for half the NFL teams and even he couldn't succeed. And before you give me the "well, they had NFL defensive talent" line, we were playing with NFL talent on our side of the ball as well.

From 1000' I would say that both CP and JW simply drop 8 and focus on taking away the over the top pass, settling on giving up underneath and check down passing, as well as whatever running the Cougs (don't) do.

I mean, the AR is working correctly against those coaches - there are open areas of the field, and its all underneath, with no room for YAC. The defense is simply dictating which open areas the qb can throw to.

Anyway, while we do all see Gordon's faults, and no doubt he has a couple that will hinder him from progressing past this level, playing Cal and UW tends to make all of our qbs look like chumps, even if they are NFL talented.

We just saw what will transpire vs UW...again.

Do you really after now seeing Minshew play in the NFL for 9 games not think he would have carved UW up eventually in that game if there had not been a blizzard ? I know the UW fan base has shamed everyone into not using the weather conditions as an excuse. But from my perspective sitting 2000 miles away and never knowing a UW fan in my life , it is not a lame excuse. It changed the game. Minshew had probably never played in a game below 40 degrees and sure not in snow. Anyone with a brain can say that was a major factor in that game. I was convinced of that at the time and now even moreso watching Minshew against NFL talent.

Now as what to do against those defenses with a more normal QB. You break tackles and get RAC. One reason Leach was running so many bubble screens the other night was trying to get a speedster type in a break away situation. At least 2 of those were well set up for big gainers and in one case an o-lineman totally whiffed on his block. In another one a WR totally whiffed. I could give you their jersey numbers but who wants to pick on certain players. The point is if those plays are executed better then you start loosening up the defense and better yet if someone can take some of those to the house and then you do not have rely on drives.

Both of Gordon and Falk's "faults" are the same they both get too reliant on their possession receivers. I really don't blame Falk than much he had garbage in terms of true speed on the outside. Gordon needs to take more chances getting the ball to Martin and others even if they are not perfectly open, particularly in the UW game.

If I could have 5 minutes with Leach over a beer, I'd ask him why we don't add a direct snap to Borghi or Harris in some short yardage situations. Swing Gordon out wide and snap the damn ball. There's not enough time for the d-ends to crash down, and if they do so aggressively, you can deek them and get around the corner.

Again, I would 100% agree IF our OL could run block worth a damn. I can't think of the last time I can remember one of our guards meeting a LB out in space.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Do you really after now seeing Minshew play in the NFL for 9 games not think he would have carved UW up eventually in that game if there had not been a blizzard ?

Now as what to do against those defenses with a more normal QB. You break tackles and get RAC. One reason Leach was running so many bubble screens the other night was trying to get a speedster type in a break away situation. At least 2 of those were well set up for big gainers and in one case an o-lineman totally whiffed on his block. In another one a WR totally whiffed. I could give you their jersey numbers but who wants to pick on certain players. The point is if those plays are executed better then you start loosening up the defense and better yet if someone can take some of those to the house and then you do not have rely on drives.

UW played in the same conditions. If you're offense becomes 100% inept due to weather, I would suggest that it might not be the best scheme to run. However, I don't believe that. You can still pitch and catch and move the ball.

As for the screens - they are never blocked well. Ryan misses every time he runs one, but he's in good company with the rest of the OL and the WRs. Its been all year.

well our offense is not the best scheme to run then, because you cant run the air raid in a howling blizzard, fact of life. A power running team can play just as well in a muddy downpour or a howling blizzard. Just the way it is.

No you cant "play pitch and catch" in a howling blizzard with zero visibility.

It's not and issue of being easily defended by those who "focus on it." It those who have the personnel to defend it. Do you think only two or three teams a year choose to "focus on it" and everyone else chooses to get somewhere around 600 yards and 40 or so points put on them?

Show us a scheme that does magically work against a defense with NFL talent at every level, regardless of whether the offense is loaded with the same level of talent. I'll patiently wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT