ADVERTISEMENT

Gordon

Clemson has a freezer package for short yardage and goal line. They bring in the DL beef eaters. It isnt their scheme per say. Its about winning.

Gee whiz. You mean one of the top 5 most talented teams in the country has guys that can bulldoze NC State or Duke? Wow. That's pure genius right there.

WSU should be the best draw run game team in the nation. No need to run block on draw.

We run a draw you dolt. And a shovel pass.

You conveniently ignore the fact that the OL was getting its ass kicked and demand more handoffs to Borghi. I'm just so surprised you didn't surpass Nick Saban as the best college football coach in the land.

Reactions: cougarhawk1
Do you really after now seeing Minshew play in the NFL for 9 games not think he would have carved UW up eventually in that game if there had not been a blizzard ? I know the UW fan base has shamed everyone into not using the weather conditions as an excuse. But from my perspective sitting 2000 miles away and never knowing a UW fan in my life , it is not a lame excuse. It changed the game. Minshew had probably never played in a game below 40 degrees and sure not in snow. Anyone with a brain can say that was a major factor in that game. I was convinced of that at the time and now even moreso watching Minshew against NFL talent.

Now as what to do against those defenses with a more normal QB. You break tackles and get RAC. One reason Leach was running so many bubble screens the other night was trying to get a speedster type in a break away situation. At least 2 of those were well set up for big gainers and in one case an o-lineman totally whiffed on his block. In another one a WR totally whiffed. I could give you their jersey numbers but who wants to pick on certain players. The point is if those plays are executed better then you start loosening up the defense and better yet if someone can take some of those to the house and then you do not have rely on drives.

Both of Gordon and Falk's "faults" are the same they both get too reliant on their possession receivers. I really don't blame Falk than much he had garbage in terms of true speed on the outside. Gordon needs to take more chances getting the ball to Martin and others even if they are not perfectly open, particularly in the UW game.

The snow was a problem in the Apple Cup. It slowed down the offense and the receivers. It mucked up the precision. It only snowed during the game. The snow stopped shortly after the game was over. The other poor weather games haven't been against a top level defense.

Just to point out, the Arizona game the week before the AC was about 25 degrees. It wasn't the temperature.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
UW played in the same conditions. If you're offense becomes 100% inept due to weather, I would suggest that it might not be the best scheme to run. However, I don't believe that. You can still pitch and catch and move the ball.

As for the screens - they are never blocked well. Ryan misses every time he runs one, but he's in good company with the rest of the OL and the WRs. Its been all year.
It’s not just the blocking. Gordon has been consistently off with the throws on them all year too. He throws back shoulder, which is great when your going downfield, but it wrecks the timing on the screens.

It's not and issue of being easily defended by those who "focus on it." It those who have the personnel to defend it. Do you think only two or three teams a year choose to "focus on it" and everyone else chooses to get somewhere around 600 yards and 40 or so points put on them?

Show us a scheme that does magically work against a defense with NFL talent at every level, regardless of whether the offense is loaded with the same level of talent. I'll patiently wait.
This is simple. The Air Raid is a scheme designed to find seams and gaps, and create mismatches. Against better and more talented defenses, the seams and gaps are smaller and close quicker. Mismatches are harder to create, and the defense recovers faster, so doesn’t let you exploit them. This takes away most of the big plays.

So, against those teams, your execution either has to be flawless, and your D has to be capable of holding the other team to 1 point less...or you have to show something the D isn’t expecting and isn’t prepared to defend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT