ADVERTISEMENT

Grad Transfer Gardner Minshew

Someone is going to be disappointed . In an article he states that he will show he belongs in the NFL draft. So if he doesn t start,then what? If he wins the starting job then the other QB s will be disappointed.

Someone is going to be disappointed . In an article he states that he will show he belongs in the NFL draft. So if he doesn t start,then what? If he wins the starting job then the other QB s will be disappointed.

Our QB situation is definitely a little crazy right now but I'm guessing that Tinsley and Gordon are the only ones that care about Minshew. If Minshew starts this year, the guy who ends up #3 on the depth chart will probably be gone by the end of the season and given the number of snaps that Cooper got in the spring game, Neville and Bledsoe are already on the outside looking in when it comes to our longer term future. I won't be surprised if Neville isn't on the roster next spring.

Our QB situation is definitely a little crazy right now but I'm guessing that Tinsley and Gordon are the only ones that care about Minshew. If Minshew starts this year, the guy who ends up #3 on the depth chart will probably be gone by the end of the season and given the number of snaps that Cooper got in the spring game, Neville and Bledsoe are already on the outside looking in when it comes to our longer term future. I won't be surprised if Neville isn't on the roster next spring.

I highly doubt that either of our RS junior QB's will leave during the season. To go where? Would have to be D1-AA or less for starters. There's no indication either one was going to leave before Tyler's passing, which him also being a junior-to be would have been worse for both of them. These guys are not going to be stars or go to the NFL. And the best place for them to have some success in the next two years is right where they are.

Agree on Neville - and nothing against him - but I would not be surprised if he left now. Why burn another year of for-sure not playing, then have to sit out next year and lose another?

I highly doubt that either of our RS junior QB's will leave during the season. To go where? Would have to be D1-AA or less for starters. There's no indication either one was going to leave before Tyler's passing, which him also being a junior-to be would have been worse for both of them. These guys are not going to be stars or go to the NFL. And the best place for them to have some success in the next two years is right where they are.

Agree on Neville - and nothing against him - but I would not be surprised if he left now. Why burn another year of for-sure not playing, then have to sit out next year and lose another?
I disagree on Neville. What has changed for him? If #3 was still here, Neville would be in this same situation. With Minshew here, it's the same situation. We were the best offer he had out of high school, he took it. This is where he is. I don't see where he'd "panic" and transfer.

But again, I don't understand the concept of all this transferring, either. All this transferring to a lesser conference does nothing for their NFL prospect career. They get play time, yes. But it goes to "big fish in little pond" or "little fish in a big pond"? I'd still love to be swimming with the big dogs in the big pond, personally. My personality is not being the big fish in a little pond, though. That makes no sense when you have other options. How else do you grow? Meh. Whatever. Not a biggie to me. I just don't see the need/reason for transferring like that.

For Loyal, unless Tinsley and Rogers are both rock solid on graduating from WSU, whoever is #3 on the depth chart after summer camp is unlikely to ever start for WSU and may leave. The article linked at the top has 9 QB's listed in there that are transferring and several of them are for only a single season. I hope that they both stay and graduate as Cougs.

For Coug95man2, I agree with you that all of this transferring is kind of silly, and often doesn't work out anyway. My comment about Neville was that with Cooper taking so many snaps, it's obvious that he is unlikely to start unless we start having injury issues. Most QB's don't stay around when they feel that's the case and QB transfers are very, very common. Hell, Apodaca, Bruggman, and Bender all transferred away from WSU when they realized after a year or two that they were never going to start at WSU. If anything, I'm a little surprised that Neville is still here, but maybe you are right, maybe he loves being a Coug and is ok with being a backup.

I disagree on Neville. What has changed for him? If #3 was still here, Neville would be in this same situation. With Minshew here, it's the same situation. We were the best offer he had out of high school, he took it. This is where he is. I don't see where he'd "panic" and transfer.

But again, I don't understand the concept of all this transferring, either. All this transferring to a lesser conference does nothing for their NFL prospect career. They get play time, yes. But it goes to "big fish in little pond" or "little fish in a big pond"? I'd still love to be swimming with the big dogs in the big pond, personally. My personality is not being the big fish in a little pond, though. That makes no sense when you have other options. How else do you grow? Meh. Whatever. Not a biggie to me. I just don't see the need/reason for transferring like that.
There is no incentive to leave before spring practice. Not saying the kid would stay or go, but there is no reason to leave before spring ball. It gave him an idea where he fit it. If he wants to play before two years my guess is he would at least entertain the thought of going to a smaller school. But maybe he performed well enough that if he continued to play well he would move up.

Kids want playing time and that is enough to have people moving on to look for it.

For Loyal, unless Tinsley and Rogers are both rock solid on graduating from WSU, whoever is #3 on the depth chart after summer camp is unlikely to ever start for WSU and may leave. The article linked at the top has 9 QB's listed in there that are transferring and several of them are for only a single season. I hope that they both stay and graduate as Cougs.

For Coug95man2, I agree with you that all of this transferring is kind of silly, and often doesn't work out anyway. My comment about Neville was that with Cooper taking so many snaps, it's obvious that he is unlikely to start unless we start having injury issues. Most QB's don't stay around when they feel that's the case and QB transfers are very, very common. Hell, Apodaca, Bruggman, and Bender all transferred away from WSU when they realized after a year or two that they were never going to start at WSU. If anything, I'm a little surprised that Neville is still here, but maybe you are right, maybe he loves being a Coug and is ok with being a backup.

95 - no Minshew does not create the same situation as #3. #3 had two years left, Minshew 1 - so if anything Neville is in a better situation now, years to go-wise. But that was before Cooper signed and showed up early and did great. And now Tinsley and Rogers are solidly in the starter mix, whereas maybe they wouldn't have been had #3 still been around. So now Neville is looking at competing with Cooper (and Bledsoe) in his RS junior year. Plus whoever comes along in the meantime.

If Neville found another place NOW, he would sit 1 and then have 2 years to compete and potentially start, or if 1-AA, 3 years to compete and possibly start. Why blow another year as #5 at WSU? That is basically what Bender and others faced.

Flat - My point was that with #3 here, Tinsley and Rogers were never going to start and they showed no signs of leaving. So IMHO yes they are set on graduating from WSU. They aren't in the same skill plateau or situation as the other 9 guys. (Like the Stanford guy who lost his job, so he knew he would sit the bench as a Sr.) T& R don't know that. They think they have a 50/50 shot. And that is before the potential injury to the other one.

95 - no Minshew does not create the same situation as #3. #3 had two years left, Minshew 1 - so if anything Neville is in a better situation now, years to go-wise. But that was before Cooper signed and showed up early and did great. And now Tinsley and Rogers are solidly in the starter mix, whereas maybe they wouldn't have been had #3 still been around. So now Neville is looking at competing with Cooper (and Bledsoe) in his RS junior year. Plus whoever comes along in the meantime.

If Neville found another place NOW, he would sit 1 and then have 2 years to compete and potentially start, or if 1-AA, 3 years to compete and possibly start. Why blow another year as #5 at WSU? That is basically what Bender and others faced.

Flat - My point was that with #3 here, Tinsley and Rogers were never going to start and they showed no signs of leaving. So IMHO yes they are set on graduating from WSU. They aren't in the same skill plateau or situation as the other 9 guys. (Like the Stanford guy who lost his job, so he knew he would sit the bench as a Sr.) T& R don't know that. They think they have a 50/50 shot. And that is before the potential injury to the other one.

Sounds reasonable.

Any thoughts on why Neville hasn't made more of an upward move in the depth chart?

Guys I know in Oregon said he was some kind of ballplayer at Wilsonville High.

There had to be a pretty good reason Brand X rated him a 4-star QB two years ago.

I'm may be the minority here, but I just don't see Gardner Minshew unseating Trey Tinsley for the opener at Laramie, Wyo.

Tinsley may have come to WSU as a walk-on (does anyone know if he's on scholarship now?), but he's got a lot more experience in CML's system than Minshew.

Minshew signed with Troy but ended up playing his first season at a junior college before spending the past two years as a part-time starter for a struggling mid-major.

All things considered, not sure that makes GM a favorite to walk right in and claim the No. 1 job.

I'm may be the minority here, but I just don't see Gardner Minshew unseating Trey Tinsley for the opener at Laramie, Wyo.

Tinsley may have come to WSU as a walk-on (does anyone know if he's on scholarship now?), but he's got a lot more experience in CML's system than Minshew.

Minshew signed with Troy but ended up playing his first season at a junior college before spending the past two years as a part-time starter for a struggling mid-major.

All things considered, not sure that makes GM a favorite to walk right in and claim the No. 1 job.

It wouldn't be surprising if Minshew was the one that was disappointed. It will be interesting to see how the trio shakes out. Minshew brings game experience, Tinsley looks like he has the best understanding of the offense and Gordon looked the most dynamic but a little haphazard at times.

It wouldn't be surprising if Minshew was the one that was disappointed. It will be interesting to see how the trio shakes out. Minshew brings game experience, Tinsley looks like he has the best understanding of the offense and Gordon looked the most dynamic but a little haphazard at times.

Well this is all going to be moot because with our horrible OL recruiting since Jim Sweeney - oops I mean Sutherland, - spiraling downward coach after coach after coach before hitting absolute rock bottom with that carpetbagging pirate weirdo, we will be a virtual sieve on the OL. Thus, by about game 6 we will be starting Casey Brink and holding public tryouts for the additional 8 backups that we will need to get us through the season. o_O

Well this is all going to be moot because with our horrible OL recruiting since Jim Sweeney - oops I mean Sutherland, - spiraling downward coach after coach after coach before hitting absolute rock bottom with that carpetbagging pirate weirdo, we will be a virtual sieve on the OL. Thus, by about game 6 we will be starting Casey Brink and holding public tryouts for the additional 8 backups that we will need to get us through the season. o_O

Don't be that guy.

One of the top grad transfers that will "shake up college football"... The QB situation may be getting more interesting, very quickly in Pullman.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-rest-college-football-high-impact-transferes

While one must look at spring ball as a whole, many will focus on the spring game in picking the winners and the losers. Tinsley and Gordon appear solid, but the defenses they faced were pretty vanilla (no blitzes, etc). Both were quicker in their reads and decisions than Cooper was, but this is to be expected at this juncture. Cooper, however, has a very good arm, and one gets the feeling that he'll take over very soon. Minshew will compete, and if he's better than anticipated, he would allow Cooper to redshirt.
What this means for anyone below these four might not matter. This isn't 1994, and Leach isn't telling anyone he's going to stop recruiting QBs for the next three years. Everyone better get used to this if they already haven't. As was adroitly pointed out, we've already seen several QBs transfer out. This is just the way it's going to be.

I don't know. I wouldn't count Minshew out.

Saying all that, I've yet to see Minshew take one snap so I don't know a blessed thing. But that's also why I say he can't be counted out.

1. For him to make an ESPN list of grad transfers that will shake things up, it does add weight to his resume.
2. I do place some weight on the fact that Alabama had given him a schollie offer (Saban does NOT give out charity schollies, even if his chances of playing were small)
3. Our coach knows quality when he see's it, I believe. Why would he offer him if he didn't think he had a chance. At the very least being close enough to the other QB's as to push them?

My .02 worth on why I gauge him as a QB not to be trifled with.

Still don't see Neville transferring. More to lose.

Pete, why do you believe Tinsley is the front runner?

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple

I'm thinking TT will get the starting nod in 2018 — at least initially — because he seems the most likely to have mastered CML's Air Raid.

The safest choice, so to speak.

BUT if the offense struggles — and there certainly are a few ??? — than The Pirate could have a quick hook and switch to Gordon, Minshew or the 4-star from Utah.

Or maybe Neville gets a look, too?

Saying all that, I've yet to see Minshew take one snap so I don't know a blessed thing. But that's also why I say he can't be counted out.

1. For him to make an ESPN list of grad transfers that will shake things up, it does add weight to his resume.
2. I do place some weight on the fact that Alabama had given him a schollie offer (Saban does NOT give out charity schollies, even if his chances of playing were small)
3. Our coach knows quality when he see's it, I believe. Why would he offer him if he didn't think he had a chance. At the very least being close enough to the other QB's as to push them?

My .02 worth on why I gauge him as a QB not to be trifled with.

Still don't see Neville transferring. More to lose.

In your mind what is Neville losing if he transfers?

In your mind what is Neville losing if he transfers?
1.Education from a world renowned College football coach, personalized. Regardless of play time.
2.A power 5 football program education, more generalized. Regardless of play time.
3.A power 5 school education. Which is the most important.
4.A completely unique college experience that he'll never be able to duplicate, whereas so many other colleges have their uniqueness, but not like Pullman.
5.A camaraderie of players that know he's been here from the get-go, not some kid that flies in at night. That's something special. To stick through with his classmates through it all is a bond that's never recovered.
6. And ultimately, a chance. Think what would have happened if our QB hadn't broke his ankle/foot/whatever and Falk didn't see the field that day. The unknown is something. Think if that one kid hadn't transferred to Montana, then Louisville... he'd very well could have gotten the nod instead of Falk. Transferring is a gamble, point blank. Transfer and you close as many doors as you open, many of the times. It's all individualized but I still don't see better options for his future, his TRUE future, as long as WSU gives him the educational options he wants other than football.

From your question, it sounds like you see more options for his future if he transfers? Please outline, if that's accurate. Recognize, I don't see the NFL as a true option. Because if it was a true option for him, he'd be on the top of the list for WSU. Not 3rd/4th. So it's about quality of life, his friends, his education. NOT Play time. Very personalized. And I'm assuming he saw more to WSU than just a step to the NFL.

Reactions: rufffrider
From your question, it sounds like you see more options for his future if he transfers?
I'm not Ed but the lack of Neville's name coming up much at all from Leach coupled with Cooper essentially stepping on campus as the #3 would indicated at this point he has a long road to starting. I would give it through next spring to compete and assume he will as well. No idea whether he will or not.

The interesting thing is even at QB if you wait it out at some point you probably get an opportunity even if it's simply out of dire need. Mike Pattison was a rarity all those years ago and much more in the current transfer environment.

1.Education from a world renowned College football coach, personalized. Regardless of play time.
2.A power 5 football program education, more generalized. Regardless of play time.
4.A completely unique college experience that he'll never be able to duplicate, whereas so many other colleges have their uniqueness, but not like Pullman.
5.A camaraderie of players that know he's been here from the get-go, not some kid that flies in at night. That's something special. To stick through with his classmates through it all is a bond that's never recovered.
6. And ultimately, a chance. Think what would have happened if our QB hadn't broke his ankle/foot/whatever and Falk didn't see the field that day. The unknown is something. Think if that one kid hadn't transferred to Montana, then Louisville... he'd very well could have gotten the nod instead of Falk. Transferring is a gamble, point blank. Transfer and you close as many doors as you open, many of the times. It's all individualized but I still don't see better options for his future, his TRUE future, as long as WSU gives him the educational options he wants other than football.

From your question, it sounds like you see more options for his future if he transfers? Please outline, if that's accurate. Recognize, I don't see the NFL as a true option. Because if it was a true option for him, he'd be on the top of the list for WSU. Not 3rd/4th. So it's about quality of life, his friends, his education. NOT Play time. Very personalized. And I'm assuming he saw more to WSU than just a step to the NFL.
Almost sounds like he took an academic scholarship. I don't know Connor and he may be one of those few QB's that are willing to sit behind someone and never play. He may be content third string is the best he will ever do. But by the sounds of it you gave me reasons that would be important to you.

Let me ask you the following....if Connor was offered a full ride to Montana or was offered a spot as a preferred walk-on, and let's sweeten the pot and say WSU discounted his tuition for academic reasons to 5k a year. Do you believe he would have chosen to walk on at WSU as a preferred walk-on, or selected Montana?

Looking at his Twitter....It appears that Neville has completely immersed himself in the WSU culture. He’s pretty happy and fits in well with the team. With that said, he’s got 4 years to play 4 right now. So many things can happen between now and then. Besides, I just don’t think he’d leave his twin brother, who’s also on the team.

Have you spoken with Neville about your highlighted statement? I don't presume to know what he's really thinking but I'd be surprised if he didn't care about playing time. The vast majority of high level athletes that I've known were very competitive people that cared about being on the field above everything else. I was roommates for a summer with one of the basketball players on our team when I was at WSU and a bunch of the players partied at our house. My next door neighbor in the dorm as a freshman was a running back for the Cougs. I don't recall either one of them (or their friends) express that it was ok if they never played because it was just about the education and quality of life. Neither one was a starter and the running back dropped off the team after his sophomore season when he realized that he wasn't going to ever start.

I'm not sure how meaningful #1 is if you don't get to play. I get the feeling that Leach is so intense in what he does that if you are the #3 or #4 guy on the list, your personalized education from Leach is going to be at a relative distance.

Are points #2 and #3 the same? Education is important and I think that WSU is a good university, but I've never had someone in Kansas say, "Wow, WSU.....you must have been a great student to get in there!" or "I've heard that WSU is one of the top schools in the country". What I hear more than anything else is, "WSU.....is that the Huskies?" Or I hear, "I know Stanford and Cal are great schools, how does WSU compare to them?" A WSU education is fine, but for a kid from California or other parts of the country, there are a dozen schools that are more meaningful locally when it comes to the branding of their education.

Agree 100% on #4. Pullman is a unique place and while every school has their pros and cons, there is no other "major" college like WSU where the immersion is so complete.

#5 has some value but I'll say that the running back that I mentioned above valued his regular friends at WSU more than he valued his teammates. That may mean that Neville stays at WSU because of his regular friends though.

#6 is probably the least compelling reason to stay. If you are #3 or #4 on the depth chart (and Neville could end up being #5 this year), the odds of seeing the field are ridiculously low. If Cooper ends up being as good as I think he could be, and Leach continues to keep recruiting QB's, Neville may end up never getting above #3 on the depth chart. It happens where schools end up with their #3 guy on the field, but the odds are likely more than 95% that the #3 guy never sees a minute of meaningful game time.

None of us know how it's going to turn out for Neville or what's important to him but the current transfer mania that we are seeing tells me that top tier athletes would rather start at a "lesser" school than sit on the bench with a clean uniform and a top notch education. Again, WSU saw the 2012, 2013 and 2014 QB recruits transfer away to get playing time. I wish Neville the best and hope he ends up being happy with whatever he does.

95 -

I believe after redshirting this past year and still a freshman in eligibility, Neville would have 3 years to compete and potentially start if he transfers to another FBS school. 4 years if he goes the 1-AA route.

Glad Cougar

Any thoughts on why Neville hasn't made more of an upward move in the depth chart?

Guys I know in Oregon said he was some kind of ballplayer at Wilsonville High.

There had to be a pretty good reason Brand X rated him a 4-star QB two years ago.
He was a very good HS QB at Wilsonville (I lived there for 2 years while he was still a prep). Interestingly, he was not named 1st team all-state for 5A classification. That honor went to John Bledsoe. Neville is an excellent athlete with a strong arm but had some maturity issues before coming to Pullman. Hopefully that's behind him. I had heard he might have been battling some injuries during his RS year but he's done nothing to really distinguish himself yet. He certainly doesn't seem to be having the impact yet on the program that Cooper has...and it seems hasn't separated himself from Bledsoe. He's young enough to stay, improve, and compete for playing time. But others have said it....Leach is going to bring in the best QB he can every year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Neville transfer and, frankly, wouldn't blame him.

Glad Cougar

I believe after redshirting this past year and still a freshman in eligibility, Neville would have 3 years to compete and potentially start if he transfers to another FBS school. 4 years if he goes the 1-AA route.

Glad Cougar

Yep you are right. I was a year off.

Have you spoken with Neville about your highlighted statement? I don't presume to know what he's really thinking but I'd be surprised if he didn't care about playing time. The vast majority of high level athletes that I've known were very competitive people that cared about being on the field above everything else. I was roommates for a summer with one of the basketball players on our team when I was at WSU and a bunch of the players partied at our house. My next door neighbor in the dorm as a freshman was a running back for the Cougs. I don't recall either one of them (or their friends) express that it was ok if they never played because it was just about the education and quality of life. Neither one was a starter and the running back dropped off the team after his sophomore season when he realized that he wasn't going to ever start.

I'm not sure how meaningful #1 is if you don't get to play. I get the feeling that Leach is so intense in what he does that if you are the #3 or #4 guy on the list, your personalized education from Leach is going to be at a relative distance.

Are points #2 and #3 the same? Education is important and I think that WSU is a good university, but I've never had someone in Kansas say, "Wow, WSU.....you must have been a great student to get in there!" or "I've heard that WSU is one of the top schools in the country". What I hear more than anything else is, "WSU.....is that the Huskies?" Or I hear, "I know Stanford and Cal are great schools, how does WSU compare to them?" A WSU education is fine, but for a kid from California or other parts of the country, there are a dozen schools that are more meaningful locally when it comes to the branding of their education.

Agree 100% on #4. Pullman is a unique place and while every school has their pros and cons, there is no other "major" college like WSU where the immersion is so complete.

#5 has some value but I'll say that the running back that I mentioned above valued his regular friends at WSU more than he valued his teammates. That may mean that Neville stays at WSU because of his regular friends though.

#6 is probably the least compelling reason to stay. If you are #3 or #4 on the depth chart (and Neville could end up being #5 this year), the odds of seeing the field are ridiculously low. If Cooper ends up being as good as I think he could be, and Leach continues to keep recruiting QB's, Neville may end up never getting above #3 on the depth chart. It happens where schools end up with their #3 guy on the field, but the odds are likely more than 95% that the #3 guy never sees a minute of meaningful game time.

None of us know how it's going to turn out for Neville or what's important to him but the current transfer mania that we are seeing tells me that top tier athletes would rather start at a "lesser" school than sit on the bench with a clean uniform and a top notch education. Again, WSU saw the 2012, 2013 and 2014 QB recruits transfer away to get playing time. I wish Neville the best and hope he ends up being happy with whatever he does.
And if he wants to chase his dream of the NFL, good for him. I hope he gets a great education so he can become a pillar to the community.

I was only pointing out that for someone to be backup his entire collegiate career, as you outlined, that means a kid may have a hard time getting another program that will get him the exposure needed to get into the NFL. THUS, I think quality of life is a major thing to be looking at. And WSU has that, in spades, whether it's surrounding yourself with coaches at a P5 level or the education WSU provides, or the town or the camaraderie of your team, whatever. THUS transferring doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It goes to his motivation. Does he think he is NFL quality? Does he really think transferring will get him there? We've had that discussion about the stigma of transfers and why they always seem to fall from grace. Troy Aikman, Randy Moss were successful transfers, Moss to a lesser conference. But that was a long time ago... Not a lot of successful NFL players out there that were transfers.

I know several collegiate sports players and they forgot about the education and what happens AFTER sports isn't in their life. I'm highlighting that portion... AFTER sports. Because I'm going with your assessment that he's the backup of the backup his whole collegiate career. I don't know if that's true but it's YOUR assessment.

SO if your the backup of the backup, quality of life, education, what your going to do other than sports after college, are important factors to consider. And THUS, I don't see why you'd transfer out of WSU.

And if he wants to chase his dream of the NFL, good for him. I hope he gets a great education so he can become a pillar to the community.

I was only pointing out that for someone to be backup his entire collegiate career, as you outlined, that means a kid may have a hard time getting another program that will get him the exposure needed to get into the NFL. THUS, I think quality of life is a major thing to be looking at. And WSU has that, in spades, whether it's surrounding yourself with coaches at a P5 level or the education WSU provides, or the town or the camaraderie of your team, whatever. THUS transferring doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It goes to his motivation. Does he think he is NFL quality? Does he really think transferring will get him there? We've had that discussion about the stigma of transfers and why they always seem to fall from grace. Troy Aikman, Randy Moss were successful transfers, Moss to a lesser conference. But that was a long time ago... Not a lot of successful NFL players out there that were transfers.

I know several collegiate sports players and they forgot about the education and what happens AFTER sports isn't in their life. I'm highlighting that portion... AFTER sports. Because I'm going with your assessment that he's the backup of the backup his whole collegiate career. I don't know if that's true but it's YOUR assessment.

SO if your the backup of the backup, quality of life, education, what your going to do other than sports after college, are important factors to consider. And THUS, I don't see why you'd transfer out of WSU.

Fair enough. I agree that unless he just wants to say that he was a starter on a college football team (regardless of level), he should just ride it out at WSU. There is nothing wrong with being one of the guys who helps the program behind the scenes while getting a free education at a good school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT