1994 Alamo Carpenter ?-91-0
1992 Copper Davis 8-134-0
Bobo 7-212-2
1988 Aloha Stallworth 8-120-0
Pointer 5-73-0
1981 Holiday Beach ?-57-0

Last edited:
Reactions: Flatlandcoug
Philip Bobo- 7 receptions 212 yards 2 TD's in the Copper Bowl. If it wasnt for Davis taking a little to some of his thunder with 8 receptions, 134 yards, Bobo would have had even more.

Its not even remotely close to being close.

Plenty of solid performances but we don't win the 2003 Holiday bowl without Sammy Moore putting the team on his back. Both TD's were great plays. First TD he had a safety trying to earhole him at the point of contact. The second TD was him burning a corner and tip toeing the sideline for a TD.
His punt return flipped the field and set up a third score. All against a very good Texas secondary and defense. Not the flashiest numbers on the day, but I don't think anyone has had three bigger plays in a bowl game.

Relatively anonymous Victor Wood was the MVP of the Aloha Bowl. But yes, Sammy Moore and Philip Bobo are the best two performances.

Notable players who didn't play in a bowl game
Bumpus, Gibson, Levenseller, Campbell

Receptions, Yards, Touchdowns
2019- Cheez It- Arconado 11-167-1
2018- Alamo- Patmon 6-76-1
2017 Holiday- Williams 10-65-0
Martin 7-51-2
2016 Holiday Lewis 6-86-0
2015 Sun Marks 5-67-1
2013 New Mexico Cracraft 9-125-1
Morrow 5-50-1
2003 Holiday Bowl Moore 2-66-2
2003 Rose Riley 9-139-1
2001 Sun McElrath 5-116-0
1998 Rose Jackson 5-89-0
McKenzie 5-78-0
1994 Alamo Carpenter ?-91-0
1992 Copper Davis 8-134-0
Bobo 7-212-2
1988 Aloha Stallworth 8-120-0
Pointer 5-73-0
1981 Holiday Beach ?-57-0

The thing that I remember about the 2001 Sun Bowl is the way that our receivers fought for balls that day. As I recall, Gesser was playing with a broken thumb and his passes looked more like punts than anything else. Our guys had to just fight and rip the ball out of the air the entire game. For that, I'm going to vote for McElrath.

The thing that I remember about the 2001 Sun Bowl is the way that our receivers fought for balls that day. As I recall, Gesser was playing with a broken thumb and his passes looked more like punts than anything else. Our guys had to just fight and rip the ball out of the air the entire game. For that, I'm going to vote for McElrath.
Oh man, this had me pining for great JG memories and forgetting for a second that he acted like such a creep. Still waiting for the ACTUAL mea culpa, not the bs one he gave after being caught.

THAT BEING SAID... pretty much any sentence regarding JG starts with "I remember JG playing with a broken _______". The next most common thing associated with JG is "his passes looked like punts more than anything else", regardless the situation.

But damn was he a gamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Yes he was. I’m a little torn on who I’d want at QB with the game on the line - but it’s either Gesser or Minshew.

I'd say Leaf in that situation.

I remember in the 97 Apple Cup when Tony Parrish picked him off and ran it back for 6, I've never heard a stadium so loud.

They had all the momentum at that point, the stadium was literally shaking..and he calmly drove us down the field and put us in the end zone.

For me, you have to beat the Huskies to be in this convo and the 2 above didn't play very well in those games(Even though Minshew only had 1 yr)

Alex Brink for me would be a close second even though he bitched about him all the time. 3 Apple Cup wins and 2 game winning drives in the Apple Cup get a vote for me.

Another reason to pick Bobo, his performance blowing out the Huskies in the Snowbowl.

Bobo's 200+ yard, 2 TD's, 7 receptions, 27 yards per catch, BURNING the defense all game long DOMINATION of, WINNING THE BOWL GAME, etc.

He BOBO won the game.

He Bobo STATISTICALLY DOMINATED.

In every measurable except competition level, and not being a name bowl like Holiday, Alamo, Rose Bowl, Bobo wins.

If Bobo would have played in either the Holiday, Alamo, Rosebowls, he probably would have gotten about 65 less yards, and 1 less TD.

That would put him at about 135 yards, 1 TD, 4,5,6 receptions in the Rosebowl, Holiday, etc.

The other camdidates mentioned like Sammy Moore, only got about 50 to 73 yards, 0,1 TD's.

What would they have gotten in Bobo's place?

Well despite having Leaf as QB, etc, they only got about 50 to 75 yards, 0,1 TD's, where they should have gotten at least 85 to 115 yards, 1,2 TD's with a QB like Leaf.

So because of that, they would have probably doubled their output in Bobo's place.

That would mean they would have gotten about 100 to 165 yards, 6,7,8 receptions, 1,2 TD's

That's still about 43 yards less then and 1 TD less then Bobo, in Bobo's place.

If Bobo would have had Leaf, Michael Black, etc, Bobo woukd have put up at least about 115 to 150 yards, 1 TD.

That is at least about 1.75 times as good as what the other candidates did under leaf, etc.

Bobo putting up 7 receptions 213 yards 2 TD's, winning the game, doing it with a lessor QB(Bledsoe was not as good as Leaf), was Truly the most dominating performance in almost every measurable way including statistically, in a bowl game, by a receiver.

And it aint close.

At ultimate worst Bobo would be a extremely close 2nd and has to, should be mentioned a top candidate in the conversation.

Also there is a reason why the Pac 12/ESPN/FOX, etc, keeps on replaying the Snowbowl, and the Copperbowl, because of how awesome the performances of Bledsoe, Shaumbe Wroght Fair, and Bobo, etc, were.

Bobo's was the best bowl game performance.

They obviously think higher of Bobo then those supporting other candidates.

Another reason to pick Bobo, his performance blowing out the Huskies in the Snowbowl.

Bobo's 200+ yard, 2 TD's, 7 receptions, 27 yards per catch, BURNING the defense all game long DOMINATION of, WINNING THE BOWL GAME, etc.

He BOBO won the game.

He Bobo STATISTICALLY DOMINATED.

In every measurable except competition level, and not being a name bowl like Holiday, Alamo, Rose Bowl, Bobo wins.

If Bobo would have played in either the Holiday, Alamo, Rosebowls, he probably would have gotten about 65 less yards, and 1 less TD.

That would put him at about 135 yards, 1 TD, 4,5,6 receptions in the Rosebowl, Holiday, etc.

The other camdidates mentioned like Sammy Moore, only got about 50 to 73 yards, 0,1 TD's.

What would they have gotten in Bobo's place?

Well despite having Leaf as QB, etc, they only got about 50 to 75 yards, 0,1 TD's, where they should have gotten at least 85 to 115 yards, 1,2 TD's with a QB like Leaf.

So because of that, they would have probably doubled their output in Bobo's place.

That would mean they would have gotten about 100 to 165 yards, 6,7,8 receptions, 1,2 TD's

That's still about 43 yards less then and 1 TD less then Bobo, in Bobo's place.

If Bobo would have had Leaf, Michael Black, etc, Bobo woukd have put up at least about 115 to 150 yards, 1 TD.

That is at least about 1.75 times as good as what the other candidates did under leaf, etc.

Bobo putting up 7 receptions 213 yards 2 TD's, winning the game, doing it with a lessor QB(Bledsoe was not as good as Leaf), was Truly the most dominating performance in almost every measurable way including statistically, in a bowl game, by a receiver.

And it aint close.

At ultimate worst Bobo would be a extremely close 2nd and has to, should be mentioned a top candidate in the conversation.

Also there is a reason why the Pac 12/ESPN/FOX, etc, keeps on replaying the Snowbowl, and the Copperbowl, because of how awesome the performances of Bledsoe, Shaumbe Wroght Fair, and Bobo, etc, were.

Bobo's was the best bowl game performance.

They obviously think higher of Bobo then those supporting other candidates.

Holy Cow......lots of assumptions in your post. And you know what they say about assuming things......

Bobo had a great day without a doubt. For me, his performance that day was the reason he foolishly skipped his senior year because he thought he was NFL ready. Kid threw away an opportunity to make memories, help himself and help the program and instead, he punked himself. Can't blame him if he hated school, but his performance takes a hit for me because it led to an incredibly dumb decision.

I'd say Leaf in that situation.

I remember in the 97 Apple Cup when Tony Parrish picked him off and ran it back for 6, I've never heard a stadium so loud.

They had all the momentum at that point, the stadium was literally shaking..and he calmly drove us down the field and put us in the end zone.

For me, you have to beat the Huskies to be in this convo and the 2 above didn't play very well in those games(Even though Minshew only had 1 yr)

Alex Brink for me would be a close second even though he bitched about him all the time. 3 Apple Cup wins and 2 game winning drives in the Apple Cup get a vote for me.
Leaf would be my #3 in a real “game on the line” situation. Brink wouldn’t be in the conversation.

Leaf would be my #3 in a real “game on the line” situation. Brink wouldn’t be in the conversation.

Brink might be fine if you are inside the 30 yard line. Past that and the ol' noodle arm becomes a factor. As much as I've supported Brink over the years and I believe that he's an under-rated QB who suffered through bad defenses in 2005 and 2007 and an injury decimated roster in late 2006.....the Frail Mary will always live in infamy.

Brink might be fine if you are inside the 30 yard line. Past that and the ol' noodle arm becomes a factor. As much as I've supported Brink over the years and I believe that he's an under-rated QB who suffered through bad defenses in 2005 and 2007 and an injury decimated roster in late 2006.....the Frail Mary will always live in infamy.
Aside from a couple apple cups - against some of the worst teams UW has ever fielded - I don't recall Brink's teams snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Gesser and Minshew both refused to lose, and both had occasions to rise up and play some of their best football in the final minutes, when the outcome was still in doubt.

Aside from a couple apple cups - against some of the worst teams UW has ever fielded - I don't recall Brink's teams snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Gesser and Minshew both refused to lose, and both had occasions to rise up and play some of their best football in the final minutes, when the outcome was still in doubt.

There's no doubt that I'd take Gesser and Minshew before Brink. My comment was actually directed at the post that said that Leach would be their #3.

Stallworth. Not just a great bowl; he also broke UCLA's back in our only win over a #1 ranked team that same year. I can't help but smile remembering that year.

Reactions: ATACFD and SDCoug
Holy Cow......lots of assumptions in your post. And you know what they say about assuming things......

Bobo had a great day without a doubt. For me, his performance that day was the reason he foolishly skipped his senior year because he thought he was NFL ready. Kid threw away an opportunity to make memories, help himself and help the program and instead, he punked himself. Can't blame him if he hated school, but his performance takes a hit for me because it led to an incredibly dumb decision.

What he did after his performance does not make his performance take a hit.

That's allowing SUBJECTIVE things like FAVORITISM, HOMERISM, etc, determine your vote.

If ESPN, FOX, CBS SPORTS, 247, BRAND X, RIVALS, PAC 12 NETWORK, ETC, were voting for, answering the question of Which WR off that list had the BEST performance in a bowl game, most of them would choose Bobo.

And that is evidenced by the LOTS of times that they replay the Snow Bowl, and Copper Bowl over and over again.

And they wouldnt let subjective factors like favorite WR, favorite bowl game, etc, determine their vote.

The question is not which WR is your favorite? Not Which Bowl was your favorite? Not which WR had the best QB? Not which WR was morally the best and thus deserves votes? Not which WR made a foolish decision in leaving early and thus doesnt deserve a vote?

The question is which WR had the best Bowl Performance?

And Bobo's 7 receptions and 212 yards, and 2 TD's, and DOMINATING, BURNING DB'S, and winning the Copper Bowl game etc, is the BEST performance.of a WR in a bowl game.

There is a reason why Bobo left early to enter the NFL draft, and that's because his Bowl performance was, is the BEST bowl performance of a WR in a bowl in the entire history of WSU.

Anybody who says otherwise because of subjective reasons like the one you named is HOMERISM.

BOBO is, was the best.

That's LOGICAL based on LOGIC, FACTS.

As Mr Spock would say, you others are being illogical.

What he did after his performance does not make his performance take a hit.

That's allowing SUBJECTIVE things like FAVORITISM, HOMERISM, etc, determine your vote.

If ESPN, FOX, CBS SPORTS, 247, BRAND X, RIVALS, PAC 12 NETWORK, ETC, were voting for, answering the question of Which WR off that list had the BEST performance in a bowl game, most of them would choose Bobo.

And that is evidenced by the LOTS of times that they replay the Snow Bowl, and Copper Bowl over and over again.

And they wouldnt let subjective factors like favorite WR, favorite bowl game, etc, determine their vote.

The question is not which WR is your favorite? Not Which Bowl was your favorite? Not which WR had the best QB? Not which WR was morally the best and thus deserves votes? Not which WR made a foolish decision in leaving early and thus doesnt deserve a vote?

The question is which WR had the best Bowl Performance?

And Bobo's 7 receptions and 212 yards, and 2 TD's, and DOMINATING, BURNING DB'S, and winning the Copper Bowl game etc, is the BEST performance.of a WR in a bowl game.

There is a reason why Bobo left early to enter the NFL draft, and that's because his Bowl performance was, is the BEST bowl performance of a WR in a bowl in the entire history of WSU.

Anybody who says otherwise because of subjective reasons like the one you named is HOMERISM.

BOBO is, was the best.

That's LOGICAL based on LOGIC, FACTS.

As Mr Spock would say, you others are being illogical.

Bledsoe gets credit from the fans for Bobo's accomplishments. All the buzz was whether or not Bledsoe would go pro and if he or a kid from Notre Dame would be the no. 1 overall pick. I'm was still young when this all went down, but no one was talking up his great receivers. ESPN dubbed the day of the Holiday Bowl "Sammy Moore Day" for his performance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT