ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye back

Very lengthy tirade discussing Powell and Rice and their talents and roles on the team considering you have not seen either of them play. Again it depends what Powell we get, the freshmen Powell will probably be our point guard. It’s what he is coming here to compete for, whether he wins the job or not is yet to be seen. He was a top 100 player coming out of high school and got off to a great start at Auburn in the SEC before his issues. He didn’t get to far into the SEC regular season. He had a solid stat line against gonzaga and looked like a world beater against Memphis both game are on line. I’m pretty sure he didn’t come clear across the country in hopes of playing the 3 considering he has always been a PG or combo guard. I have high hopes for Rice but he wasn’t ranked as high as Powell coming out of high school. He has had a year in the system so will be farther along than a true freshmen but still hasn’t played a game of college basketball and was redshirted last year which would lead one to think he would have sat down the bench always.

Your reading comprehension needs some work.

You can handle the ball, be a PG type of point 3, Wing at the 3 spot. Magic Johnson was 6-8. It wouldnt have been a good move to put Magic Johnson at the 1, PG spot, instead of the PG TYPE OF POINT 3 SPOT WING.

Magic Johnson ALWAYS HANDLED THE BALL, DISHED OUT LOTS OF ASSIST, HAD THE OFFENSE GO THRU HIM, AT THE 3 SPOT.

You don't have play at the 1 spot to have the offense go thru you, handle the ball all the time, get lots of Assist, be a PG type, etc.

You can, and Powell, absolutely can be a PG type of Point 3 spot Wing, that handles the ball a lot, that has the offense go thru him via him, where he gets lots of Assist, etc, just like a Magic Johnson type.

And you absolutely can have 2 PG's an or PG type on the floor, 1 at the 1 spot, 1 at the 3 spot, etc.

And 1. Rice. 2. Bamba. 3, PG TYPE WING SPOT. Powell(just like Magic Johnson types, etc), can be done, should be done, IF IF IF, both Rice, and Powell are ready and able.

In that type of lineup, POWELL CO RUNS THE OFFENSE AS A PG TYPE POINT 3 SPOT WING, HANDLES THE BALL A LOT, HAS THE OFFENSE GO THRU HIM, GETS LOTS OF ASSIST, AND IS A NIGHTMARE FOR DEFENSES, 3 SPOT WING DEFENDERS, IS A MISMATCH.

And Powell absolutely came to WSU to be a Magic Johnson type at the PG TYPE POINT 3 spot Wing, where he would run the offense, have the offense go thru him, handle ball a lot, get a lot of assist, just like a Magic Johnson type, and be a mismatch nightmare for 3 spot Wing defenders, etc.

If you don't get that, if you think I am saying he is not going to run the offense, then your a ILLOGICAL PERSON with poor reading comprehension, an or didn't read what I say, said.

So in your world Magic Johnson played the 3? Or is my reading comprehension off again?

Magic Johnson did not play the 1 spot. He was a POINT GUARD FORWARD AT THE 3 SPOT.

Yes he led fast breaks as a point guard forward at the 3 spot.

Magic John spent a LOT of time at the HIGH POST as a point guard forward at the 3 spot, behind the freethrow line, 1 on 1 vs other 3 spot, forwards, where he would run the offense, the offense went thru him there, and he handled the ball a lot, and he posted up, shot over defenders, did up and under post moves, spinned around Forward defenders, did hook shots over forwards, did fall away jumpers there, blew by the 3 spot forward defenders, either finished with a lay up, dunk at the rim, or kicked it out for a open shot on perimeter, or dishes it to a Big, forward for a lay up, dunk.

In every sense of the word, he was a PG, that played at the POINT FORWARD 3 SPOT VS OTHER FORWARDS, which made him a Nightmarish mismatch for the other team and forwards to guard, defend him, and the rest of the offense.

Powell is the same. In every sense of the term, word, Powell is a PG, at the PG TYPE POINT 3 WING G/F SPOT that RUNS THE OFFENSE AT THAT SPOT, A NIGHTMARE MISMATCH VS OTHER 3 SPOT WING DEFENDERS TO GUARD/DEFEND.

If your like 6-6 Powell, you don't have to be a 1 spot PG, standing 4 feet behind the 3 point line, 4 feet behind the top of the key, trying to go 1 on 1 vs a 6-1.5 lockdown defense PG defender, trying, but failing if your 6-6 Powell to blow by drive, etc.

You can have Rice 4 feet behind the top of the key behind the 3 point line, standing there being guarded by either a zone, or a PG defender. You can have Bamba at 1 wing, as a 2 spot SG, standing there being guarded by either a zone, or a 2 spot SG defender. And you can have Powell at either the other wing or HIGH POST, with the ball, dribbling away as a PG TYPE POINT 3 SPOT WING G/F 1 on 1 NIGHTMARE MISMATCH, vs a semi bad, not as good 3 spot Wing defenders that he either: BLOWS BY FOR LAY UP, DUNK AT RIM, OR BLOWS BY THEN KICKS OUT TO THE OPEN GOOD 3 POINT SHOOTER, OR BLOWS BY THEN DISHES TO EITHER JACKSON, GUEYE, ETC, FOR THEM TO LAY UP, DUNK, SCORE, OR SPINS AROUND TO SCORE, OR UP AND UNDER SCORES, OR FALL AWAY JUMPER SCORES, OR PASSES TO A OPEN 3 POINT SHOOTER, IN OTHER WORDS RUNS THE OFFENSE, HAS THE OFFENSE GO THRU HIM VIA HIM, HANDLES THE BALL, GETS ASSIST, ETC, AS A PG AT THE POINT 3 SPOT WING G/F SPOT, VS 3 SPOT WING DEFENDERS AT EITHER THE SEMI DEEP WING SPOT ON BBALL FLOOR, OR AT THE HIGH POST.

HE POWELL DOESNT HAVE TO FREAKIN STAND 4 FEET BEHIND THE THE TOP OF THE KEY 3 POINT LINE( WHERE RICE SHOULD BE), and go 1 on 1 vs a 6-1.5 lockdown PG defender at the 1 spot.

POWELL CAN, IS ALLOWED TO BE A PG TYPE AT THE 3 SPOT, AT THE WING OR AT HIGH POST, ETC, AND CAN, IS ALLOWED TO GO 1 ON 1 VS A 3 SPOT WING DEFENDER AT THE 3 SPOT, INSTEAD OF GETTING LOCKED DOWN AT THE TOP OF THE KEY 3 POINT LINE 1 SPOT, 1 ON 1 VS A 6-1.5 1 SPOT PG LOCKDOWN DEFENDER.

CAPS used to help Jourdand SEE, GET, UNDERSTAND, HAVE BETTER READING COMPREHENSION, LOGIC, etc.

So in your world Magic Johnson played the 3? Or is my reading comprehension off again?

Of couse. And Barkely played a 2.

Reactions: Coug4life34
Your reading comprehension needs some work.

You can handle the ball, be a PG type of point 3, Wing at the 3 spot. Magic Johnson was 6-8. It wouldnt have been a good move to put Magic Johnson at the 1, PG spot, instead of the PG TYPE OF POINT 3 SPOT WING.

Magic Johnson ALWAYS HANDLED THE BALL, DISHED OUT LOTS OF ASSIST, HAD THE OFFENSE GO THRU HIM, AT THE 3 SPOT.

You don't have play at the 1 spot to have the offense go thru you, handle the ball all the time, get lots of Assist, be a PG type, etc.

You can, and Powell, absolutely can be a PG type of Point 3 spot Wing, that handles the ball a lot, that has the offense go thru him via him, where he gets lots of Assist, etc, just like a Magic Johnson type.

And you absolutely can have 2 PG's an or PG type on the floor, 1 at the 1 spot, 1 at the 3 spot, etc.

And 1. Rice. 2. Bamba. 3, PG TYPE WING SPOT. Powell(just like Magic Johnson types, etc), can be done, should be done, IF IF IF, both Rice, and Powell are ready and able.

In that type of lineup, POWELL CO RUNS THE OFFENSE AS A PG TYPE POINT 3 SPOT WING, HANDLES THE BALL A LOT, HAS THE OFFENSE GO THRU HIM, GETS LOTS OF ASSIST, AND IS A NIGHTMARE FOR DEFENSES, 3 SPOT WING DEFENDERS, IS A MISMATCH.

And Powell absolutely came to WSU to be a Magic Johnson type at the PG TYPE POINT 3 spot Wing, where he would run the offense, have the offense go thru him, handle ball a lot, get a lot of assist, just like a Magic Johnson type, and be a mismatch nightmare for 3 spot Wing defenders, etc.

If you don't get that, if you think I am saying he is not going to run the offense, then your a ILLOGICAL PERSON with poor reading comprehension, an or didn't read what I say, said.
I get the position 1-5 thing, but it’s becoming more of a position less sport where each play has multiple skills sets. I really don’t know why you would have a "1" and then say you have a Point 3 or PG type Wing spot. Doesn’t make sense in the traditional 1-5 positions. (refresher) Could just say we will have multiple distributors on the floor at the same time rather then try to fit them into a 1-5 position.

Mikalas I think I finally figured it out, the shortest player is always the PG/1, the tallest player is always the center/5, second shortest player is the shooting guard/2, second tallest player is the power forward/4 and the middle guy is the small forward/3.
thanks for clearing that up for me it will come in very handy making my line-ups.
One problem I’m still going to have is my players standing anywhere.

I get the position 1-5 thing, but it’s becoming more of a position less sport where each play has multiple skills sets. I really don’t know why you would have a "1" and then say you have a Point 3 or PG type Wing spot. Doesn’t make sense in the traditional 1-5 positions. (refresher) Could just say we will have multiple distributors on the floor at the same time rather then try to fit them into a 1-5 position.

Your semi partially right in what your saying about a position less sport. But it's position less not because of no clear cut positions, playing in certain areas of the court, with certain roles, etc, but rather it's considered position less because 1 player can play all 5 positions at their various different areas, spots on the court, with their different positional roles, vs different positional players from the other team.

POINT FORWARD AND POINT GUARD are 2 different positions, roles, areas on the court, etc.

POINT FORWARD is usually a 3 spot Wing G/F but can also be a POINT POWER FORWARD at the 4 spot.

A point forward at the 3 spot Wing is DIFFERENT then your normal standard 3 spot player. Same with a Point Power forward at the 4 spot being different the a typical 4 spot PF.

A point forward at the 3 spot, usually either stands behind the 3 point line at the Wing, or at the HIGH POST, where that player runs of the offense, has offense go thru him, via him, where he dribbles, dishes out assist, drives, etc, like a 1 spot PG, but technically not a 1 spot PG, as he is a POINT FORWARD at the 3 spot. The Point Forward at the 3 spot is typically guarded, defended by another 3 spot Forward.

A 1 spot POINT GUARD, USUALLY stands about 2,3,4 feet behind the top of the key, 3 point line, and sometimes at one of the wings behind the 3 point line, but usually behind top of the Key. From there the PG runs the offense, dribbles, distribute, hopefully blows by defenders. The 1 spot POINT GUARD is typically guarded by either 6-1.5 Point guard lock down defender, or a combo 1,2 spot, SG,PG defender, typically 6-3 in tall.

Powell is 6-6. He is not as good, an or very good at beating 1 spot 6-1.5 PG defenders at the top of the key.

He is better at beating 2 spot SG defenders.
But where he truly shines, is a NIGHTMARE MISMATCH, is beating 3 spot wings on, at the 3 spot Wing at the wing location area of the 3 point line, or at the HIGH POST.

Because of that Rice should be a 1 spot POINT GUARD, standing behind the top of the key 3 point line, co running the offense, as a 1 spot POINT GUARD going up against, vs 1 on 1 vs 1 spot 6-1.5 semi lockdown POINT GUARD defenders, where he hopefully beats said defenders, IF HE IS READY.

Powell should be a 3 spot POINT FORWARD standing, playing at either a wing area location at the 3 point line, or at the High Post, co running the offense, etc, with Point Guard Rice, and going up against, 1 on 1 vs 3 spot Wing defenders and probably beating the 3 spot Wing defenders.

And Bamba is at 1 of the wing area locations at, on 3 point line as a 2 spot SG.

Different positions, different area locations on the court, where stand, move, play, etc, and even different roles, with different defenders(PG's for PG's, and 3 spot wings defending 3 spot Wing POINT FORWARDS), BUT SHARING THE SAME DISTRIBUTOR ROLE.

Now some players can play both 1 spot POINT GUARD, and 3 spot, POINT FORWARD, and some can't. Those who can't beat 3 spot Wing defenders that defend 3 spot Wing POINT forwards, usually will not be 3 spot Wing POINT FORWARDS. Those who can't beat your typical 1 spot 6-1.5 semi lockdown POINT GUARD DEFENDER, usually won't be a 1 spot POINT GUARD.

Those who can beat both 3 spot Wing defenders, and your typical 1 spot 6-1.5 semi lockdown defender, can usually play BOTH 3 SPOT WING POINT FORWARD and 1 spot POINT GUARD.

Powell is not one of these. He doesn't beat 1 spot POINT GUARD defenders as well as he beats 3 spot Wing defenders. So because of that he is a 3 spot Wing, POINT FORWARD.

And that's just offense. On defense, Powell is absolutely horrible at defending a typical 1 spot, 6-1.5 Point Guard, and is better at defending SG's, and is best at defending 3 spot, non point forward, wings.

This means you either have Powell play 3 spot Wing POINT FORWARD, vs 3 spot Wing defenders, and occasionally have Powell go against SG's at the 2, POINT SG SPOT, and not have him play at the 1, point guard spot, vs your typical 6-1.5, 1 spot, point guard, semi lockdown defenders.

Mikalas I think I finally figured it out, the shortest player is always the PG/1, the tallest player is always the center/5, second shortest player is the shooting guard/2, second tallest player is the power forward/4 and the middle guy is the small forward/3.
thanks for clearing that up for me it will come in very handy making my line-ups.
One problem I’m still going to have is my players standing anywhere.

That's not what I think or was saying.

Now positions are determined by where you stand on the court. So much information I can’t believe I never knew this before. I had a mentor tell me once you never want to stop learning because then you stop improving. I learn so much in our discussions.

Hate to break it to you, but magic was a Point guard at the 1 spot..

Magic Johnson was a type of point guard on the FAST break, dribbling the ball up the middle, and then either finishing at the rim, going all the way, coast to coast, or he dished to James Worthy, etc, 1 of the 2 on the wings to either side of Magic.

But IN THE NON FAST BREAK HALF COURT OFFENSE, most to almost all the time, Magic was NOT at the top of the key, at or behind the 3 point line, running the offense from that spot like a typical PG, even a 6-8.5 PG,etc.

In the HALF COURT OFFENSE, Magic Split time, at either wing spot at the 3 point line, next to whoever was standing at the top of the key(Usually I think Nick Van Excel, or Sedale Threat(a 6-2.5 combo SG/PG, gotten from the Sonic's(Magic and Sedale played against the Sonic's in the reg season and play offs, and I remembered that Magic and Sedale played together, on court at same time, and in half court, Sedale was at PG spot at top of key), and at the high post point forward spot.

In the Half court offense the Lakers had 2 distributors on the court. 1 at the top of the key(Not Magic(Sedale, etc), and 1(Magic) at either wing spot at 3 point line next to the other distributor(Sedale, etc) at top of key, OR 1 at the hight post point forward spot(Magic)

So Magic Johnson was a PG distributor on the FAST BREAK, and a 3 SPOT WING POINT FORWARD, when Worthy either wasn't in game, or was at PF, and a POINT SG, and split time at either wing spot and high post, point forward spot IN THE HALF COURT OFFENSE.

Those are the spots on the court that Magic played at, in the HALF COURT OFFENSE, and on the FAST BREAK.

Call that whatever you want whether Point Forward, 3 spot Wing point forward, Point SG, PG, DISTRIBUTOR, etc.

The basic comparative point is that in the HALF COURT OFFENSE Magic was a DISTRIBUTOR in that Half Court offense at either wing spot, and at the high post.

And Powell is a DISTRIBUTOR that will either Distribute at the 3 spot Wing point forward, point SG spot on the Wing spot, behind the 3 point line, standing next to whoever standing at top of the key probably DISTRIBUTOR Rice, or Powell will distribute at the high post spot.

Powell probably won't distribute at top of key spot on court.

Now you can call that whatever want, but I call the top of the key distributor spot the 1 spot Point Guard spot, and the high post/Wing distributor spots as 3 spot Wing point forward spot, or 2 spot distributor.

Sedale Threat was brought in to back up Magic at point guard. Two weeks later Magic tested positive for HIV and retired, forcing Sedale into the starting line up. Nick Van Excel played with Magic during his 1996 comeback. During this comeback Magic had gained weight and played at 255 lbs and at the power forward but he only played 32 games 7 of which Van Excel was suspended for bumping a ref. This was only 32 games and was not the real Magic Johnson.

Sedale Threat was brought in to back up Magic at point guard. Two weeks later Magic tested positive for HIV and retired, forcing Sedale into the starting line up. Nick Van Excel played with Magic during his 1996 comeback. During this comeback Magic had gained weight and played at 255 lbs and at the power forward but he only played 30 games 7 of which Van Excel was suspended for bumping a ref. This was only 30 games and was not the real Magic Johnson.
MAGIC WAS A CENTER!

(For Game 6 in the 1980 Finals when Kareem was injured).

Shesh, I saw Magic in Portland at the "Classic" and he was a Point Guard even then!

Ok if your splitting time between the spot on the court that's on, at the wing, and high post, and NOT at the top of the Key, in the Half court offense like Magic, then you all call that POINT GUARD and not POINT FORWARD DISTRIBUTOR, etc.

And it wasn't just Sedale, and Nick Van Excel. Those were 2 that I thought I remembered. There were others. And most to almost all the time Magic did not stand, move, play at the top of the key in the half court offense, and instead was at the High post/wing next to whoever was standing, moving, playing at top of key.

You can call that a PG all you want.

I call that a POINT FORWARD DISTRIBUTOR.

Magic did play PG on all FAST BREAKS,

But not in the HALF COURT OFFENSE.

Ok if your splitting time between the spot on the court that's on, at the wing, and high post, and NOT at the top of the Key, in the Half court offense like Magic, then you all call that POINT GUARD and not POINT FORWARD DISTRIBUTOR, etc.

And it wasn't just Sedale, and Nick Van Excel. Those were 2 that I thought I remembered. There were others. And most to almost all the time Magic did not stand, move, play at the top of the key in the half court offense, and instead was at the High post/wing next to whoever was standing, moving, playing at top of key.

You can call that a PG all you want.

I call that a POINT FORWARD DISTRIBUTOR.

Magic did play PG on all FAST BREAKS,

But not in the HALF COURT OFFENSE.
Magic played point guard the entire game. He even guarded the other teams point guard…
Makalis, I think you are confusing the term point forward. A point forward is someone who can handle the basketball and initiate the offense on occasion. Often times teams will play through their forward who can handle the ball as there aren’t many opposing forwards who can defend a ball handler. While a point guard plays the roll of bringing the ball up the court, controlling the basketball game, and is usually the teams main distributor of the basketball. A good way to look at it is to think of who the player is being guarded by. You will almost never see a point guard intentionally being guarded by the other teams powerforward…
Lebron James for instance could be considered a point forward as he often initiates offense and distributes the basketball, but he is never the primary ball handler on the court or guarded by the other teams point guard.. Hence, he is not referred to as a point guard.

John Johnson of the Sonics was the first 'point forward'. Paul Pressey of the Bucks came after him.

Magic was, is and always will be a point guard.

Magic played point guard the entire game. He even guarded the other teams point guard…
Makalis, I think you are confusing the term point forward. A point forward is someone who can handle the basketball and initiate the offense on occasion. Often times teams will play through their forward who can handle the ball as there aren’t many opposing forwards who can defend a ball handler. While a point guard plays the roll of bringing the ball up the court, controlling the basketball game, and is usually the teams main distributor of the basketball. A good way to look at it is to think of who the player is being guarded by. You will almost never see a point guard intentionally being guarded by the other teams powerforward…
Lebron James for instance could be considered a point forward as he often initiates offense and distributes the basketball, but he is never the primary ball handler on the court or guarded by the other teams point guard.. Hence, he is not referred to as a point guard.

Lebron James and Magic were, are comparable and both played the same position, spot on the court.

Yes Magic played PG bringing up the ball, on the FAST BREAK, the entire game.

But when not fast breaking and in the Half Court offense, Magic was a point forward playing at both wings, high post, just like you describe, just like Lebron James, that rightfully compared to Magic.

In the half court offense, Magic was not standing, playing at the top of the key, like a typical PG, as he was standing, playing next to whoever was standing, playing at the top of the key, in the half court.

Because the Lakers FAST BREAKED about 80% of the time, more then anybody else in NBA at time, and since Magic was the PG bringing up the ball on Fast Breaks, that's why Magic is remembered as a PG.

But in the Half Court offense, Magic was NOT standing, playing on, at the top of the key, typical PG spot on the court, in the Half Court offense.

You are in a hole and you can’t get out, so your answer is to dig deeper! There are plenty of old Laker games available to watch go back and watch and admit you’re wrong. It’s way less embarrassing than digging deeper. Magic could and did play other positions on the court but he always was primarily a point guard

Last edited:
You are in a hole and you can’t get out, so your answer is to dig deeper! There are plenty of old Laker games available to watch go back and watch and admit you’re wrong. It’s way less embarrassing than digging deeper. Magic could and did play other positions on the court but he always was primarily a point guard
I don't think Mike is old enough to have seen Magic running the point for Showtime and the Lakers circa 1979 to 1992/Dream Team.

Lebron James and Magic were, are comparable and both played the same position, spot on the court.

But when not fast breaking and in the Half Court offense, Magic was a point forward playing at both wings, high post, just like you describe, just like Lebron James, that rightfully compared to Magic.

In the half court offense, Magic was not standing, playing at the top of the key, like a typical PG, as he was standing, playing next to whoever was standing, playing at the top of the key, in the half court.

Because the Lakers FAST BREAKED about 80% of the time, more then anybody else in NBA at time, and since Magic was the PG bringing up the ball on Fast Breaks, that's why Magic is remembered as a PG.

But in the Half Court offense, Magic was NOT standing, playing on, at the top of the key, typical PG spot on the court, in the Half Court offense.
Not even close dude… Lebron is not a PG

Question. In the video above the starters were:

Magic
Mike McGee (in place of normal starter Byron Scott)
James Worthy
Kurt Rambis
Kareem

Who was the PG?

I don't think Mike is old enough to have seen Magic running the point for Showtime and the Lakers circa 1979 to 1992/Dream Team.
It’s kind of confusing for me.. How someone could not recognize Magic as a PG… I grew up in California went to many games and watched just about every game he ever played.. I remember exactly 1 game in which he was not the primary PG after midway through his rookie year..
When he overtook the duties from Norm Nixon…That game was already mentioned.

Question. In the video above the starters were:

Magic
James Worthy
Kurt Rambis
Kareem

Who was the PG?

Byron Scott was the PG in the HALF COURT offense, and Magic was the POINT FORWARD DISTRIBUTOR in the HIGH POST/WING.

In the FAST BREAK(Majority of time), Magic played PG going coast to coast/Passing to Worthy, etc.

As Jourdand said, Magic didn't just only play PG.

FAST BREAK(Magic PG)

Half court offense(Magic usually not PG)

Sedale Threat was brought in to back up Magic at point guard. Two weeks later Magic tested positive for HIV and retired, forcing Sedale into the starting line up. Nick Van Excel played with Magic during his 1996 comeback. During this comeback Magic had gained weight and played at 255 lbs and at the power forward but he only played 32 games 7 of which Van Excel was suspended for bumping a ref. This was only 32 games and was not the real Magic Johnson.
It was Sedate Threat. 😀

It’s kind of confusing for me.. How someone could not recognize Magic as a PG… I grew up in California went to many games and watched just about every game he ever played.. I remember exactly 1 game in which he was not the primary PG after midway through his rookie year..
When he overtook the duties from Norm Nixon…That game was already mentioned.
I remember him as a revolutionary PG in that he was 6'9" and no one had seen someone like him before.

Byron Scott was the PG in the HALF COURT offense, and Magic was the POINT FORWARD DISTRIBUTOR in the HIGH POST/WING.

In the FAST BREAK(Majority of time), Magic played PG going coast to coast/Passing to Worthy, etc.

As Jourdand said, Magic didn't just only play PG.

FAST BREAK(Magic PG)

Half court offense(Magic usually not PG)
Byron Scott was a shooting guard as I recall. My memory may be failing me though.

Byron Scott was a shooting guard as I recall. My memory may be failing me though.
Shooter, dunker, defense. I don't believe Scott was the PG while in college at ASU. Would have been Fat Lever although I'm not sure if Lever was around the entire time Scott was in college.

In the FAST BREAK(Most of time) Byron Scott was not PG, was SG. MAGIC WAS THE PG.

BUT in the HALF COURT offense(Minority of times because Lakers FAST BREAKED more then any team in NBA history), Byron Scott stood, played combo SG/PG distributor at top of key. Magic stood at either side of Byron at wings and at the HIGH POST, as another CO DISTRIBUTOR.

Magic was known for a semi signature move of in the HIGH POST of SPINNING AROUND DEFENDER, for either easy bucket, or dish a assist, distribute, run offense.

The reason everybody remembers Magic as a PG, was because the Lakers SHOWTIME FAST BREAKED A LOT, MAJORITY of time, and in the SHOWTIME FAST BREAK MAGIC WAS THE PG GOING COAST TO COAST/DISHING.

Not very many people remember the Half court Offense, and Magic spinning around defenders in high post in the half court offense, and Byron Scott standing, playing at top of key as a SG/PG DISTRIBUTOR, beating defenders off dribble for easy lay ups, dishing assist, shooting, making perimeter shots, and receiving assist, perimeter shots that made, from Magic, Worthy, Kareem, etc.

Magic played the 1,2,3 spots depending on situation.

And Magic was the PG during Fast Breaks, because nobody brought the ball up, went coast to coast better, dished better ON THE FAST BREAK, then Magic did. And that's why Magic was PG ON FAST BREAKS.

Shooter, dunker, defense. I don't believe Scott was the PG while in college at ASU. Would have been Fat Lever although I'm not sure if Lever was around the entire time Scott was in college.

I wasn't talking about Byron Scott in College.

I was talking about SITUATIONAL STUFF IN THE NBA ON THE LAKERS, etc

Please go back and watch the Lakers! Magic was the point guard period!! Fast break, half court, full court, three quarter court, it didn’t matter the ball was in his hands.

I wasn't talking about Byron Scott in College.

I was talking about SITUATIONAL STUFF IN THE NBA ON THE LAKERS, etc
Yes, I meant even at the college level he wasn't a PG.

In the video linked above the starters were:

Magic
James Worthy
Kurt Rambis
Kareem

Who was the PG? A clue: It wasn't Mike McGee.

I remember him as a revolutionary PG in that he was 6'9" and no one had seen someone like him before.
I probably spent almost every 9th grade lunch during the NBA season debating with a friend who was the better player. Magic or Bird?

No, neither one of us had girlfriends yet. ;)

Last edited:
You are exactly right. Claiming that Byron Scott was the point guard at any point is to completely misunderstand what the Lakers were doing in the 80's. Magic ran the offense no matter how they set up. Scott-Worthy-Kareem-Cooper all received Magic assists. They loved the up tempo open court offense but at all times Magic was the point guard.

You are exactly right. Claiming that Byron Scott was the point guard at any point is to completely misunderstand what the Lakers were doing in the 80's. Magic ran the offense no matter how they set up. Scott-Worthy-Kareem-Cooper all received Magic assists. They loved the up tempo open court offense but at all times Magic was the point guard.

Magic DID RUN THE OFFENSE, DISTRIBUTE BALL AT THE WING/HIGH POST SPOTS WHERE MAGIC DID ALL WHAT YOU, ME, OTHERS SAY HE DID, IN THE HALF COURT OFFENSE, AS A PRIMARY DISTRIBUTING POINT FORWARD.

IN FAST BREAKS, FULL COURT, BRINGING BALL UP, ETC, MAGIC WAS A PG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT