ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye back

Byron Scott was the PG in the HALF COURT offense, and Magic was the POINT FORWARD DISTRIBUTOR in the HIGH POST/WING.

In the FAST BREAK(Majority of time), Magic played PG going coast to coast/Passing to Worthy, etc.

As Jourdand said, Magic didn't just only play PG.

FAST BREAK(Magic PG)

Half court offense(Magic usually not PG)
Mik...were you alive when Magic started playing for the Lakers. I was at Beasley in 1983, Byron Scott most definitely was not ASU's point guard, Fat Lever was.

Norm Nixon was Lakers PG before Johnson arrived. He was the size of your typical PG, however he moved to the shooting guard when Magic came aboard.

And the offense went through Magic, he started everything. Even if he walked the ball up he had the ball in his hand. The offense started with him. Point guards don't just stand at the top of the key unless you are 8 years old and playing for the YMCA. My daughter played point, in the Princeton offense, pass to the wing and cut. So they just don't stand there.

Last edited:
Magic DID RUN THE OFFENSE, DISTRIBUTE BALL AT THE WING/HIGH POST SPOTS WHERE MAGIC DID ALL WHAT YOU, ME, OTHERS SAY HE DID, IN THE HALF COURT OFFENSE, AS A PRIMARY DISTRIBUTING POINT FORWARD.

IN FAST BREAKS, FULL COURT, BRINGING BALL UP, ETC, MAGIC WAS A PG.
Mik....ok, Byron Scott was the 2, shooting guard, worthy was the 3, small forward, Rambis was the 4, power forward, kareem was the 5,, center, so who was the 1?

Reactions: Coug1990
Mik....ok, Byron Scott was the 2, shooting guard, worthy was the 3, small forward, Rambis was the 4, power forward, kareem was the 5,, center, so who was the 1?
I saw a story online somewhere yesterday that Charles Barkley is now convinced that Stephon Curry has Passed up Isiah Thomas as the best "Small Point Guard" in history. Sure, I can buy that.

BTW, he also says that Magic is far and away the best point guard in history, FWIW.

PS-Not arguing with you about anything here, just tagging onto the last post in the thread.

I saw a story online somewhere yesterday that Charles Barkley is now convinced that Stephon Curry has Passed up Isiah Thomas as the best "Small Point Guard" in history. Sure, I can buy that.

BTW, he also says that Magic is far and away the best point guard in history, FWIW.

PS-Not arguing with you about anything here, just tagging onto the last post in the thread.

There was this scrawny white kid from Spokane who has a decent resume’ running the point.

I was a big Magic fan and now I'm a big Curry fan so I have no problem with Barkley's observation. I will point out that Curry is a long way from the traditional point guard. I read an article the other day about the absurd number of picks on and away from the ball the Warriors ran Curry through. Not unlike the way the Coug offense under Bennett ran Low through an endless number of picks. In a motion offense like the Warriors run you need a number of people who are both good passers and play well off the ball. So I don't know if Curry is the best small point guard ever but he is clearly the best shooter.

Imo both Bouldon and Stepp are to big to be considered in the “small point guard” category.

I thought you said scrawny… takes you off the list plus too many turnovers
Circa 80's/90's Observer checked in at a bruising 165 pounds. Scrawny would have been an overstatement. A 6-4 Chet Holmgren.

The turnovers part is true.

For those wanting to kiss the ring of the 2nd greatest point guard of all time (sorry Isaiah Thomas) and the 2nd or 3rd best player ever from the GSL, festivities kick off at 7PM tonight.

Circa 80's/90's Observer checked in at a bruising 165 pounds. Scrawny would have been an overstatement. A 6-4 Chet Holmgren.

For those wanting to kiss the ring of the 2nd greatest point guard of all time (sorry Isaiah Thomas) and the 2nd or 3rd best player ever from the GSL, festivities kick off at 7PM tonight.

Good read. I never saw Bobby Jack play so a 6'2" player with a 6'10" wingspan is hard to wrap my head around. It's too bad the G-League wasn't around back in the day.

EDIT: Since I'm obsessed, Donovan Mitchell equates at 6'1.25 with a 6'10" wingspan.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpCoug
Never saw Bobby Jack play in high school moved to Spokane and started watching the GSL the next year, Stockton’s Sr year. I remember him at SFCC in the paper stats, but again never watched him play there.

I did however have the pleasure of runs both with and against him at West central Community Center where he and John Haney were the dominant players. Haney came out of Texas to play at EWU but while he had the same love of life and friendly persona, he had more of a hippie vibe. 6-6 white boy who could shoot inside and out and move and dribble like a guard. Last I saw him he was a line cook at Red Lion BBQ. Like Bobby Jack,man could he play but liked the 🚬 a little to much.

The David Vik of point guards … wasn’t there a brusinjng kid from like sunny side in the early 90’s I think that fit that description as well . Maybe late 80’s

Never saw Bobby Jack play in high school moved to Spokane and started watching the GSL the next year, Stockton’s Sr year. I remember him at SFCC in the paper stats, but again never watched him play there.

I did however have the pleasure of runs both with and against him at West central Community Center where he and John Haney were the dominant players. Haney came out of Texas to play at EWU but while he had the same love of life and friendly persona, he had more of a hippie vibe. 6-6 white boy who could shoot inside and out and move and dribble like a guard. Last I saw him he was a line cook at Red Lion BBQ. Like Bobby Jack,man could he play but liked the 🚬 a little to much.

I am close with Bobby. A wonderful human.

The tales of playing with gloves and wearing moon boots - and totally dominating - are absolutely true. He had Curry range 40 years before that was a thing.

When he flipped the switch, Stockton and Morrison drop to the second and third best players ever from Spokane. The guy was other worldly.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
ADVERTISEMENT