ADVERTISEMENT

Helfrich fired at Oregon

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Move was expected after 4-8 season. Lost Civil War game to Oregon State last Sat.

Last edited:
And, time to raid their commit list.
Ideally. I think with Phil waiving $10 mill a year around, the idea for them is that anyone who's committed is going to be more excited by the new coach than Helfrich. Wonder who's on their short list. What candidate would you pay $10 mill a year for?

Ideally. I think with Phil waiving $10 mill a year around, the idea for them is that anyone who's committed is going to be more excited by the new coach than Helfrich. Wonder who's on their short list. What candidate would you pay $10 mill a year for?

There will still be guys that bolt. Some won't fit well into a different scheme.

The Ducks have always had a boner for UW. Peterson will get an offer.

That would sure be a dyck move (and stupid) by Nike U to pay a new coach $10M. Texas is paying Herman $5M.

The Ducks have always had a boner for UW. Peterson will get an offer.

No way. They already blew that hire. I predict they'll hire Jim McElwain. Would be a great hire. They'd never do this, but how good would of a fit would Art Briles be in Eugene?

No way. They already blew that hire. I predict they'll hire Jim McElwain. Would be a great hire. They'd never do this, but how good would of a fit would Art Briles be in Eugene?

I heard Brock Huard talking today about Mike Gundy being a good fit. That would be interesting to watch T Boone and Uncle Phil square off in a dyck measuring contest.

Reactions: SCglory
Chip comes home.
My guess is this. Not sure what the financials would look like but gotta think Chip could command a kings ransom right now with the way helfrich drove his team into the ground. Plus Chips NFL future looking pretty dicey right now. Gotta think Phil would pay off SF and dump the truck for a Chip reunion. It would be a good move for everyone IMO.

I heard coach Petersen is signing with them.

(Hi Moondoggie :D)

I predicted this weeks ago. One would think I'm a Duck insider...
I thought it might happen after blowing the 31-0 halftime lead last year in the Alamo Bowl vs. TCU. Not immediately after that game, but before the end of this season. That was the beginning of the end for Helfrich.

I'm predicting UO hires PJ Fleck of Western Michigan.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: bogusto
Helfrich was a square peg in a round hole.

He will join somebody else as an O coordinator. Where he can fail to recruit the proper QB for his offense.

I still believe a wildcard is Larry Fedora.

I think Oregon could be the domino starter for a lot of jobs. If (former Coug coach candidate of mine at one point), Jim McElwain went to Oregon, I could see Leach disciple Dana Holgorsen head to FLA and the ball starts there.

McElwain would need a young, stud OC though.

Would be interesting to see if they hired Kiffin (I'd be extremely surprised if they did),

Do you think UO made this move without gauging the interest of their top 5 names?

I'd like to think Mullens has, but this is their first head football coach they've fired since...what the early 1970s? Mullens also didn't handle the situation in the most graceful way either and he's on the CFP Committee, if I am not mistaken?

Going to be interesting watching from afar.

I thought it might happen after blowing the 31-0 halftime lead last year in the Alamo Bowl vs. TCU. Not immediately after that game, but before the end of this season. That was the beginning of the end for Helfrich.

Glad Cougar

I've always loved their fast-paced offense. Saban hated it...for obvious reaaons.
Think how close they came to a national championship. Maybe just one more first round NFL lineman?

Football-wise Briles would be a great fit. But in politically correct Oregon with his baggage? Doubt it.

Football-wise Briles would be a great fit. But in politically correct Oregon with his baggage? Doubt it.
I don't think politically correct has anything to do with it. The guy turned his eye on multiple rapes in the name of winning. You can call that a number of things, political correctness is not one of them.

Ha! I'm hearing it's Leach, they like gimmicky offenses down there.

Those "gimmicky offenses" completely owned you clowns for what, 12 years or something like that? It took a terrible coach in Eugene for you to snap that streak.

Glad Cougar

I had to laugh at some of the articles that were saying that Oregon firing Helfrich was proof that any coach could get fired at any time and that college football teams had no loyalty. They are ignoring the fact that the Ducks were already mediocre last year but VAJ was a good enough transfer QB to hide it. Only a fool would think that they could get away with plugging in mercenaries at QB and stay relevant. I'm not sure who to blame on their staff, but nobody in the Pac-12 has done a worse job at developing QB's and defensive players than Oregon.

Kelly went 37-1 against teams with less than 9 wins and his only loss to one of those teams was 8-5 Stanford in 2009 (Kelly's first year at Oregon). Helfrich started out fine and went 26-1 in his first three seasons but went 4-3 against non-elite teams this year. More damning, Kelly went 9-6 against top flight competition in his years at the helm and Helfrich is currently 7-12. In 2014, it looked like Helfrich was better at 6-3 and getting into the National Championship game. In the two years since then, Oregon has gone 1-9 against the top level competition. Once they lost Mariotta, the Ducks have been beaten routinely by the good teams on the schedule. Going 1-4 in 2015 was bad but if WSU wins our bowl game, the Ducks could go 0-6 against teams with 9+ wins if Utah doesn't win their game.

Helfrich didn't get fired because of one bad season. He got fired because it looks like he and his staff are not capable of developing QB's and defensive players that can compete at the top level of the conference for two years in a row and there's no reason to believe that next year would be any different. It's too bad that they fired him because I was liking the idea of Oregon reverting to their pre-1994 form. Hope they stay there.

Could you imagine Helfrich and Leach working together. Hell he doesn't need the money.

ESPN/Oregon Live/Canzano is throwing the idea around of Defensive Coord. from Ohio State, Greg Schiano. While the Civil War was being played out, guess where Uncle Phil was? At Ohio State talking to the team about how proud he is that they wear Nike Gear. Schiano was right next to Meyer, whom was right next to Knight. COMPLETE conjecture but the timing of it does raise an eyebrow.

I had to laugh at some of the articles that were saying that Oregon firing Helfrich was proof that any coach could get fired at any time and that college football teams had no loyalty. They are ignoring the fact that the Ducks were already mediocre last year but VAJ was a good enough transfer QB to hide it. Only a fool would think that they could get away with plugging in mercenaries at QB and stay relevant. I'm not sure who to blame on their staff, but nobody in the Pac-12 has done a worse job at developing QB's and defensive players than Oregon.

Kelly went 37-1 against teams with less than 9 wins and his only loss to one of those teams was 8-5 Stanford in 2009 (Kelly's first year at Oregon). Helfrich started out fine and went 26-1 in his first three seasons but went 4-3 against non-elite teams this year. More damning, Kelly went 9-6 against top flight competition in his years at the helm and Helfrich is currently 7-12. In 2014, it looked like Helfrich was better at 6-3 and getting into the National Championship game. In the two years since then, Oregon has gone 1-9 against the top level competition. Once they lost Mariotta, the Ducks have been beaten routinely by the good teams on the schedule. Going 1-4 in 2015 was bad but if WSU wins our bowl game, the Ducks could go 0-6 against teams with 9+ wins if Utah doesn't win their game.

Helfrich didn't get fired because of one bad season. He got fired because it looks like he and his staff are not capable of developing QB's and defensive players that can compete at the top level of the conference for two years in a row and there's no reason to believe that next year would be any different. It's too bad that they fired him because I was liking the idea of Oregon reverting to their pre-1994 form. Hope they stay there.

Very true and good analysis. All you need to know about the way the QB situation was mishandled can be summed up by one name: Jeff Lockie. After Mariota's graduation, Lockie was initially the heir apparent (and Marcus' backup) and there was actually competition between him and Vernon Adams during fall camp. When Adams was hurt, Lockie was the guy...and us Cougar fans were grateful that he played against WSU last year. When Adams got hurt again in the Alamo Bowl with a 31-0 lead, incredibly Lockie was the next guy up and we saw the results (although the defense was equally to blame). So this guy, being the #2 and groomed to be Mariota's successor at one point, didn't even see the field this year....he was buried so deep on the roster that you couldn't find him. That was once the backup at a mighty school like UO? Terrible personnel evaluation combined with inability to coach up some players...it all caught up with Helfirch and the Ducks.

By the way, John Canzano mentions Greg Schiano (DC at Ohio State) as a likely hire for the Ducks. Makes sense, Phil Knight was in the locker room after the Buckeyes beat Michigan. He's not going to hire Urban Meyer, but maybe he was setting the stage for Schiano. That would be a good choice for UO, in my opinion.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT