ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Mike Marlow....

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
A Coug. Moos' right-hand man. Knows how to shmooze with donors. At NAU, can work with less.

The right man for the job at this time.

Reactions: VandalBasher
Looks good to me. We need to get some Coug Alums back in these positions for the slog ahead
There have been candidates in the pipeline for a while. One in particular that wants the job and is well connected to the business community in the PNW. They’ve been prepared to replace Chun since OSU was open. Doesn’t sound like we’ll be disappointed with his replacement and will probably be a significant upgrade.

There have been candidates in the pipeline for a while. One in particular that wants the job and is well connected to the business community in the PNW. They’ve been prepared to replace Chun since OSU was open. Doesn’t sound like we’ll be disappointed with his replacement and will probably be a significant upgrade.
Hopefully we can move quick. Need to get the right basketball hire moving.

A significant upgrade has been needed for a long while, good to hear there's been any type of proactive approach.

Hope you're right.

I could see them reaching out to Bill Moos and see if he would serve as a consultant until we get on our feet .
You mean the Bill Moos who did an Irish goodbye to Schulz when he slinked off to Nebraska? Not quite as bad as the uw AD but pretty obvious no love between those two. Plus we need to hire a basketball coach and I don’t want to see Ernie Kent in Pullman for round 2.

I could see them reaching out to Bill Moos and see if he would serve as a consultant until we get on our feet .

Good call as usual Ed.

One thing about Mr. Moos: He understands the importance of building first-class facilities

John Johnson’s name is mentioned in the newspapers.

Would provide stability and in the final few years of his career, wouldn’t have one foot out the door.

John Johnson’s name is mentioned in the newspapers.

Would provide stability and in the final few years of his career, wouldn’t have one foot out the door.

I met Johnson in Las Vegas about 15 years ago at the Mandalay Bay. We were eating at the breakfast buffet and there was a guy there dressed from head to toe in WSU gear. Pullover, pants and shoes. The gear looked like it was university issued. Introduced myself and he said he was John and that he worked for WSU in the athletic department. Never gave any indication that he was the Assistant AD at the time. Super polite and friendly and zero arrogance.

I met Johnson in Las Vegas about 15 years ago at the Mandalay Bay. We were eating at the breakfast buffet and there was a guy there dressed from head to toe in WSU gear. Pullover, pants and shoes. The gear looked like it was university issued. Introduced myself and he said he was John and that he worked for WSU in the athletic department. Never gave any indication that he was the Assistant AD at the time. Super polite and friendly and zero arrogance.
I got to know John at WSU. Great, great guy. Should have hired him instead of Chun (good job Schulz). He had a better resume, and was a Coug through and through. He must be about 65 now, maybe too late. But we could pay a lot more than PSU, and I would take him on a 5-year contract if he was available.

Reactions: Observer11
As usual? When was the last time Ed had a good call?
I think he is referring to when I called a fellow poster an arrogant douche bag and many posters agreed. I think that is the post he was referring to.

What about the AD from Boise State. He has been doing good things over there.
Does he have experience managing $250,000,000 in debt in the face of falling revenue, contracting enrollment, high inflation, restricted capital markets, higher rates and getting booted from Power 5?

• Haha
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Not the ones that made leach turn out ok
This is a good point. Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of a single standout during the Wulff era. But pulling the rosters, we had NFL talent. Travis Long, Jeff Tuel, John Fullington, .... Not a total loss.

This is a good point. Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of a single standout during the Wulff era. But pulling the rosters, we had NFL talent. Travis Long, Jeff Tuel, John Fullington, .... Not a total loss.

Wulff had some guys that ended up being solid contributors for the 2013 New Mexico Bowl team. It's important to remember that the New Mexico Bowl was probably Wulff's ceiling...if he was lucky.

Reactions: LeachPack
Wulff had some guys that ended up being solid contributors for the 2013 New Mexico Bowl team. It's important to remember that the New Mexico Bowl was probably Wulff's ceiling...if he was lucky.

Flat, do you think CPW eventually would've turned WSU into a consistent middle-tier/mid-December bowl team if given another 2-3 years? Nothing earth-shaking, but the 1-11 and 2-10 seasons would be a thing of the past.

As @Suudy mentioned, there were some unheralded recruits that Coach Leach would develop for the next level.

It kinda seemed that CPW's plan was to proceed slowly but surely as if he had 7-10 years to build a foundation (and maybe that's what Coach Walden was telling him).

Flat, do you think CPW eventually would've turned WSU into a consistent middle-tier/mid-December bowl team if given another 2-3 years? Nothing earth-shaking, but the 1-11 and 2-10 seasons would be a thing of the past.

As @Suudy mentioned, there were some unheralded recruits that Coach Leach would develop for the next level.

It kinda seemed that CPW's plan was to proceed slowly but surely as if he had 7-10 years to build a foundation (and maybe that's what Coach Walden was telling him).

I don't think that we would have had a bunch of 1 or 2 win seasons in the future under Wulff, but I see him as kind of coach that goes 4-8, 6-6, 3-9, 5-7, 7-5, 4-8, 6-6. Maybe go to a bowl every other year or so but have an overall losing record. Not the guy that any program is actually looking for.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
I don't think that we would have had a bunch of 1 or 2 win seasons in the future under Wulff, but I see him as kind of coach that goes 4-8, 6-6, 3-9, 5-7, 7-5, 4-8, 6-6. Maybe go to a bowl every other year or so but have an overall losing record. Not the guy that any program is actually looking for.
Agree. For all of the many things that made him a poor choice as a P5 HC, he did have some good points. I think your numbers are probably pretty realistic.

Agree. For all of the many things that made him a poor choice as a P5 HC, he did have some good points. I think your numbers are probably pretty realistic.
For starters he busted his ass as a player and LOVED WSU. You can clown on him for his coaching record and still appreciate that he gave blood sweat and tears to be a Coug. I’ll always respect him for that.

I think when he could make a senior-heavy team align with a favorable schedule, we’d be able to hit as high as 8-4. Call it once per decade. More often, we’d be 4-8.

In the NIL era, we may never see .500.

Reactions: LeachPack
I think when he could make a senior-heavy team align with a favorable schedule, we’d be able to hit as high as 8-4. Call it once per decade. More often, we’d be 4-8.

In the NIL era, we may never see .500.

Yeah....I think the one thing that we can all agree on is that he was going to lose more often than not (and never threaten the top of any league) and with NIL....thank god he's long gone.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT