ADVERTISEMENT

Historic sports moments as a student at WSU

I was trying to come up with a silver lining for you, but....sorry. You caught a bad bounce and hit the WSU Athletics dark ages.

For me: Drew. Ike Fontaine & Bennie Seltzer. The Posse. Ryan. Rose Bowl.

Chug deserves a do over....or at least go back for a semester :)

There is a large number of students that had the misfortune of attending WSU between 2008 and 2011.

it is never a “misfortune” being a coug regardless how the sports teams do. Heck how many kids stay the entire game in the 11-2 season . They just have more diversions now.

There is a large number of students that had the misfortune of attending WSU between 2008 and 2011.
Btw what does this have to do with a meaningless record of number of games not being shut out? It is interesting someone would point to that record of all the things we could have witnessed .

Btw what does this have to do with a meaningless record of number of games not being shut out? It is interesting someone would point to that record of all the things we could have witnessed .

Initially, I would say that only a Wulff apologist like yourself would call one of the longest running streaks in history "meaningless." Second, you must not have gone to campus much during the darkness of the Wulff era. It was really sad. There was nothing to be excited about. The program was run by a second rate (I'm being polite) coach, who was hired by a second rate AD, while the University was administered by a second rate President.

One of the most underrated moments for me was the final home game in 1997 vs. Stanford. It wasn't our biggest crowd of the season, and I remember being so irritated at our fan base for not selling that game out, but nonetheless, the 40,306 fans who attended were electric.

To this day, it is the most exciting home crowd atmosphere I've ever experienced, including Apple Cups. There was so much on the line, and literally the entire stadium was doing the "jaws" chomp.

Initially, I would say that only a Wulff apologist like yourself would call one of the longest running streaks in history "meaningless." Second, you must not have gone to campus much during the darkness of the Wulff era. It was really sad. There was nothing to be excited about. The program was run by a second rate (I'm being polite) coach, who was hired by a second rate AD, while the University was administered by a second rate President.

Ummm if all you got out of WSU was sports that is unfortunate. I was there when Raveling had to really bad years sandwich in between two good years. I was there 79 losing season, 80, losing season, 81 win, 82 losing. And in no way did that define me or my experience.

But feel free to reference Moos, Sterk, Floyd and Wulff and the "streak". Do you know what game broke the "streak" way back when before they started a new streak.

So if we kicked meaningless fg's that somehow makes it all better.

Ummm if all you got out of WSU was sports that is unfortunate. I was there when Raveling had to really bad years sandwich in between two good years. I was there 79 losing season, 80, losing season, 81 win, 82 losing. And in no way did that define me or my experience.

But feel free to reference Moos, Sterk, Floyd and Wulff and the "streak". Do you know what game broke the "streak" way back when before they started a new streak.

Well, this thread is titled "Historic sports moments as a student at WSU". Are you actually surprised that other people are able to remain on topic, while you wander off into irrelevance?

If you are going to start sh!tting on "meaningless" streaks and things associated with sports......perhaps we should just tell the Ol' Crimson that they had the nice run, but it's not important enough to ED to continue. Maybe we should just drop our NCAA programs and save some money? It's all pretty meaningless in the big picture, right?

Although I thought that ED's response was idiotic, you are in the same territory by calling Elson Floyd a second rate President. You are in pretty select company with that statement. You can hate Wulff all you want, but talking smack on Floyd just seems like an a$$hole move.....but maybe I'm the only one that thinks that.

Although I thought that ED's response was idiotic, you are in the same territory by calling Elson Floyd a second rate President. You are in pretty select company with that statement. You can hate Wulff all you want, but talking smack on Floyd just seems like an a$$hole move.....but maybe I'm the only one that thinks that.

Well, since I'm talking about Lane Rawlins, I think I'm in the right.

You do know that Floyd was President when Wulff was hired?

https://president.wsu.edu/floyd/

I guess I was off a year or two. I thought the Wulff decision was made before Floyd was on board. My recollection was 2009 was Floyd's first year observing the Wulff catastrophe and that's when he wanted to fire him but backed off.

I'm sticking with Rawlins being a second rate president.

I guess I was off a year or two. I thought the Wulff decision was made before Floyd was on board. My recollection was 2009 was Floyd's first year observing the Wulff catastrophe and that's when he wanted to fire him but backed off.

I'm sticking with Rawlins being a second rate president.

And I'm fine with that. It's my recollection that there were very few unhappy people when he "retired" as President of WSU in 2006.

If you are going to start sh!tting on "meaningless" streaks and things associated with sports......perhaps we should just tell the Ol' Crimson that they had the nice run, but it's not important enough to ED to continue. Maybe we should just drop our NCAA programs and save some money? It's all pretty meaningless in the big picture, right?

Flat...just out of curiosity do you know when theat streak stopped before the Wulff era and against who, and who was the team it started back up against?

Take the average fan not sure they care how many games they have gone since being shut out. Meaningless, not sure it is the top things someone thinks of when they think of the program, but clearly more important to some.

One of the most underrated moments for me was the final home game in 1997 vs. Stanford. It wasn't our biggest crowd of the season, and I remember being so irritated at our fan base for not selling that game out, but nonetheless, the 40,306 fans who attended were electric.
To this day, it is the most exciting home crowd atmosphere I've ever experienced, including Apple Cups. There was so much on the line, and literally the entire stadium was doing the "jaws" chomp.

MARTIN STADIUM ATTENDANCE

40,306 11-15-97 WSU 38, Stanford 28

40,000 10-17-81 WSU 17, UCLA 17
40,000 11-20-82 WSU 24, UW 20
40,000 11-17-84 UW 38, WSU 29
40,000 11-22-86 UW 44, WSU 23
40,000 11-19-88 WSU 32, UW 31
38,434 9-30-89 USC 18, WSU 17
37,600 11-23-96 UW 31, WSU 24 (OT)
37,600 11-17-90 UW 55, WSU 10
37,600 11-21-92 WSU 42, UW 23
37,600 10-8-94 WSU 21, Oregon 7
37,600 10-15-94 Arizona 10, WSU 7
37,600 11-19-94 WSU 23, UW 6
37,600 11-9-02 WSU 32, Oregon 21
37,600 11-23-02 UW 29, WSU 26 (3OT)
37,444 11-2-02 WSU 44, ASU 22
37,251 11-21-98 UW 16, WSU 9
37,196 10-10-98 Oregon 51, WSU 29
36,861 10-5-02 WSU 30, USC 27 (OT)
36,770 9-19-98 WSU 24, Idaho 16
36,686 11-5-94 USC 23, WSU 10
36,090 10-21-89 Arizona 23, WSU 21
35,759 10-18-97 WSU 63, California 37
35,283 10-6-01 WSU 34, OSU 27

Flat...just out of curiosity do you know when theat streak stopped before the Wulff era and against who, and who was the team it started back up against?

Take the average fan not sure they care how many games they have gone since being shut out. Meaningless, not sure it is the top things someone thinks of when they think of the program, but clearly more important to some.

So many things about football are inconsequential in the big picture. You can say that kicking a field goal to keep the streak alive would be meaningless, but when we got a field goal against UCLA in 1991, Stanford in 1992 and UW in 1993 to keep that streak alive felt meaningful to the people paying attention. It's obviously meaningless in the big picture, but it's those meaningless things that often help you through rough times.

In all honesty, you bag on those field goals, but how meaningful is it for us to have a flag at Gameday.....in the big picture? It's not....but you know what, it was something that we could look forward to when times were tough. It went on long enough that it actually did start to mean something.

By the way, Ohio State shut out the Cougs in 1984. I don't remember who they played next........because what mattered was the streak......not who it started with.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't refer to Elson Floyd as "Second Rate" by any stretch of the means. He was a students' President who was loved by all including myself. I had the great honor of actually knowing the man because I worked in French Ad during his tenure. When Sterk finally left (He saw the writing on the wall), Floyd made a great decision to bring Moos on board to fix a lot of the problems our Athletic Department faced. Also, he gave up a huge chunk of his salary when WSU was facing massive state budget problems during the Financial Crisis of 2008 so that many university staff wouldn't lose their jobs. Everyone else you mentioned as 2nd rate would be factually correct, however.

That game holds the record for our largest attendance ever, so I’m not sure how you think it wasn’t our biggest crowd of the season.
Technically I suppose it wasn’t a sellout, since a lot of seats were given away - the supposed anonymous donor was a myth.
I don’t recall the crowd being that amped up either, especially early. The team played down to Stanford, and really didn’t put them away like they should have. I remember more energy that year during the almost-loss to Arizona. And nothing compares to 2018 Oregon.

Reactions: spongeworthy12
MARTIN STADIUM ATTENDANCE

40,306 11-15-97 WSU 38, Stanford 28

40,000 10-17-81 WSU 17, UCLA 17
40,000 11-20-82 WSU 24, UW 20
40,000 11-17-84 UW 38, WSU 29
40,000 11-22-86 UW 44, WSU 23
40,000 11-19-88 WSU 32, UW 31
38,434 9-30-89 USC 18, WSU 17
37,600 11-23-96 UW 31, WSU 24 (OT)
37,600 11-17-90 UW 55, WSU 10
37,600 11-21-92 WSU 42, UW 23
37,600 10-8-94 WSU 21, Oregon 7
37,600 10-15-94 Arizona 10, WSU 7
37,600 11-19-94 WSU 23, UW 6
37,600 11-9-02 WSU 32, Oregon 21
37,600 11-23-02 UW 29, WSU 26 (3OT)
37,444 11-2-02 WSU 44, ASU 22
37,251 11-21-98 UW 16, WSU 9
37,196 10-10-98 Oregon 51, WSU 29
36,861 10-5-02 WSU 30, USC 27 (OT)
36,770 9-19-98 WSU 24, Idaho 16
36,686 11-5-94 USC 23, WSU 10
36,090 10-21-89 Arizona 23, WSU 21
35,759 10-18-97 WSU 63, California 37
35,283 10-6-01 WSU 34, OSU 27

The published attendance is misleading. I believe that a large block of tickets were purchased by corporate sponsors and sold off on the cheap to pack the house. Either way, it was a fantastic atmosphere.

That game holds the record for our largest attendance ever, so I’m not sure how you think it wasn’t our biggest crowd of the season.
Technically I suppose it wasn’t a sellout, since a lot of seats were given away - the supposed anonymous donor was a myth.
I don’t recall the crowd being that amped up either, especially early. The team played down to Stanford, and really didn’t put them away like they should have. I remember more energy that year during the almost-loss to Arizona. And nothing compares to 2018 Oregon.

1994 vs. Arizona was pretty damned loud. Posse vs. Desert Swarm. In fact, anything that year was damned loud - much moreso than the '97 season. Most of the '97 season were blowouts.

1997 Stanford was just another game.

Yeah I was at that game and that is pretty much how I recall it.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't refer to Elson Floyd as "Second Rate" by any stretch of the means. He was a students' President who was loved by all including myself. I had the great honor of actually knowing the man because I worked in French Ad during his tenure. When Sterk finally left (He saw the writing on the wall), Floyd made a great decision to bring Moos on board to fix a lot of the problems our Athletic Department faced. Also, he gave up a huge chunk of his salary when WSU was facing massive state budget problems during the Financial Crisis of 2008 so that many university staff wouldn't lose their jobs. Everyone else you mentioned as 2nd rate would be factually correct, however.

You must have missed the exchange where I called him on that and he clarified that he was referring to V. Lane Rawlins and not Floyd.

1994 vs. Arizona was pretty damned loud. Posse vs. Desert Swarm. In fact, anything that year was damned loud - much moreso than the '97 season. Most of the '97 season were blowouts.

1997 Stanford was just another game.
Was that the game we lost 10-9 and Theodore “Teddy” Bruschi came over to the student section to taunt everyone?

Was that the game we lost 10-9 and Theodore “Teddy” Bruschi came over to the student section to taunt everyone?

I think it was 10-7. Price's kid missed a game tying FG attempt late in the 4th, iirc.

I think it was 10-7. Price's kid missed a game tying FG attempt late in the 4th, iirc.

Yup, although it was Tony "the toe" Truant who missed the tying FG. Ontiwaun Carter fumbled late to give us a chance, but Chad Davis wasn't able to move the ball (shocking) and we bricked an easy FG.

Ironically, Aaron Price had missed a game tying FG attempt the year before.

So many things about football are inconsequential in the big picture. You can say that kicking a field goal to keep the streak alive would be meaningless, but when we got a field goal against UCLA in 1991, Stanford in 1992 and UW in 1993 to keep that streak alive felt meaningful to the people paying attention. It's obviously meaningless in the big picture, but it's those meaningless things that often help you through rough times.

In all honesty, you bag on those field goals, but how meaningful is it for us to have a flag at Gameday.....in the big picture? It's not....but you know what, it was something that we could look forward to when times were tough. It went on long enough that it actually did start to mean something.

By the way, Ohio State shut out the Cougs in 1984. I don't remember who they played next........because what mattered was the streak......not who it started with.

I guess this is where we diverge. I just don't see a streak that maybe 10k people know about and a new streak has been started anywhere near the same significance having our flag on National TV every weekend done by an all volunteer crowd.

Break down some numbers for me...how many people do you think know about that streak? 10k? High or low? How many do you think have it above significant in terms of importance? If people named the top ten or 15 most memorial things they saw during and after they started following the Cougs, do you think 10%, 50%, 75% of the people would have the loss of the streak in the top 15 things they remember about WSU sports? I may be all wet on this one, but I am not seeing it anywhere near the flag...or the 82 Apple Cup for example.

Yup, although it was Tony "the toe" Truant who missed the tying FG. Ontiwaun Carter fumbled late to give us a chance, but Chad Davis wasn't able to move the ball (shocking) and we bricked an easy FG.

Ironically, Aaron Price had missed a game tying FG attempt the year before.

Wasn't Carter stripped of the ball by Mark Fields?

I guess this is where we diverge. I just don't see a streak that maybe 10k people know about and a new streak has been started anywhere near the same significance having our flag on National TV every weekend done by an all volunteer crowd.

Break down some numbers for me...how many people do you think know about that streak? 10k? High or low? How many do you think have it above significant in terms of importance? If people named the top ten or 15 most memorial things they saw during and after they started following the Cougs, do you think 10%, 50%, 75% of the people would have the loss of the streak in the top 15 things they remember about WSU sports? I may be all wet on this one, but I am not seeing it anywhere near the flag...or the 82 Apple Cup for example.

A scoring streak is never going to be a top priority but I know that there were a hell of a lot of Cougs that it was meaningful for, even if not close to a top priority. In the big picture, that streak is just as meaningful as the flag streak. It's nice that we do get a weekly shout out from ESPN....but if our football team sucks, that shout out becomes a pity party instead of something great. And frankly, if the flag streak stopped....nobody would lose sleep about it. Of course, I like the flag streak, but it's worthless without a good football team to take advantage of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT