ADVERTISEMENT

How many wins this year?

MRICoug

Team Captain
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2014
Quite a range of opinions with many settling on somewhere between 7 and 9. I think the Cougs get 10 with a shot at 11. I believe the D will be better (and they were decent last year) particularly the DL. The LB group is fast and experienced. I think the O continues to roll with Gage. The WR group is scary good. RB should be solid with Max and the transfer as well as the freshman from Florida. The OL may be the best we have ever had. The ST should be solid with a great punter and return man as well as a solid kicker. My only real hesitation is the secondary, but I like what has been brought in there...just experience is a bit lacking. The DL should help there with the middle being more stout.

Reactions: ATACFD
You raise a good point. Seems like our biggest question mark on D (other than the leadership vacuum with Pelleur's graduation) is the secondary. But the expected improvement on the DL should help take some pressure off of the DBs...if we can generate a good pass rush. DB's don't have to cover as much if the QB doesn't have time to throw.

With what we've got returning offensively, it should make the job of the QB (whoever that is) easier. But the better the QB is, the more they can elevate the rest of the O. We saw that last year. I really think that Minshew was the difference between 8-5 and 11-2 last season. Not sure we beat Utah, Stanford, or Iowa State without him...and I'd be willing to accept that he was the difference against Cal and Oregon too.

You raise a good point. Seems like our biggest question mark on D (other than the leadership vacuum with Pelleur's graduation) is the secondary. But the expected improvement on the DL should help take some pressure off of the DBs...if we can generate a good pass rush. DB's don't have to cover as much if the QB doesn't have time to throw.

With what we've got returning offensively, it should make the job of the QB (whoever that is) easier. But the better the QB is, the more they can elevate the rest of the O. We saw that last year. I really think that Minshew was the difference between 8-5 and 11-2 last season. Not sure we beat Utah, Stanford, or Iowa State without him...and I'd be willing to accept that he was the difference against Cal and Oregon too.
The book on our D is going to be: try to pound it down our throat and/ or dink and dunk. They won't have time to stand in the pocket. We'll see a lot of bend-but-don't-break out of our D this year, giving up yards but limiting offenses to 3 or zero points.

I'm good with that.

Quite a range of opinions with many settling on somewhere between 7 and 9. I think the Cougs get 10 with a shot at 11. I believe the D will be better (and they were decent last year) particularly the DL. The LB group is fast and experienced. I think the O continues to roll with Gage. The WR group is scary good. RB should be solid with Max and the transfer as well as the freshman from Florida. The OL may be the best we have ever had. The ST should be solid with a great punter and return man as well as a solid kicker. My only real hesitation is the secondary, but I like what has been brought in there...just experience is a bit lacking. The DL should help there with the middle being more stout.

8 wins is my O/U. It all comes down to QB play and the secondary. If Gubrud is up to snuff and we can fill the hole that Thompson left, I think we are going to be fine. The Pac-12 is "not elite" enough that I believe that we have a chance to run the table this year but I wouldn't bet any money on it. There's a slim chance that the season goes to hell in a hand basket, but I doubt it happens.

My over/under is 9. I'm optimistic. Borghi, Mauigoa, and McDougle have to stay healthy, but really this team is a known commodity everywhere except 2 position groups. Stay healthy and those pan out, and this might be our chance. Stanford and UW are down, even if only a bit, we seem to own Oregon, and Cal is honestly the team I worry the most about because of their defense. I like the schedule, and I like the known components.

Reactions: mikalalas

If I had to bet I’d say 8 regular season wins. My floor is 6 but my ceiling is 13 before the playoff if things fall into place from an injury standpoint. The health of key players Borghi, Lucas and Woods will be crucial. Their is a lot talent on this team.

As someone who is still grateful for just making a bowl, I don't feel competent to make a prediction about this year. Hoped for 7 wins last year, as I recall.

But I would like to say that I don't want to ever forget last year. So many story lines that made for one of our best seasons ever, at least how I would rank them. Others may mention Rose Bowl years, but I never had more fun as a Coug than just a few months ago.

Could we be in for an even better season this year. Yeah. Yeah, we could. I love where we are at.

Reactions: earldacoug
As someone who is still grateful for just making a bowl, I don't feel competent to make a prediction about this year. Hoped for 7 wins last year, as I recall.

But I would like to say that I don't want to ever forget last year. So many story lines that made for one of our best seasons ever, at least how I would rank them. Others may mention Rose Bowl years, but I never had more fun as a Coug than just a few months ago.

Could we be in for an even better season this year. Yeah. Yeah, we could. I love where we are at.

Over/Under 8.5

Win Range: 7 to 10

Average wins: 8.5

Floor: Should be 7 wins

Ceiling: Should be 10 wins

Absolute worst case: 6 wins

Absolute Best Case:11,12, 11.5 wins

Almost Impossible(.000000001% Chance): 5 wins, 13+ wins

Realistic, Logical

Reactions: PeteTheChop
I'm on 8, road schedule is brutal and I'm not as confident we have a QB on the roster who can elevate us much. As every year it seems under coach ML, we will win one we have no business winning and lose one we have no business losing.

2018?

Only a crooked call and a fluke weather incident kept the Cougs from a perfect regular season.

Even CML’s harshest critics can’t hold him responsible for either of those two situations.

Not convinced that even if the weather was in the 70s in the AC that we would have won that game....especially with their defensive coordinator, the greatest genius who has ever existed.

Reactions: HHusky

Losses: UW (Jimmy Lake...the genius!)
One of Oregon, Utah, Kal

10 wins!

Not convinced that even if the weather was in the 70s in the AC that we would have won that game....especially with their defensive coordinator, the greatest genius who has ever existed.

Well Lake certainly sees it that way . And until we shut him up, play competitively in the Apple Cup he will run his mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT