ADVERTISEMENT

I’m just not seeing football happening guys

If they're going to shut down workouts due to "eight positive or presumed positive COVID-19 tests from individuals who were on campus in the past week," it really is hard to see football happening.

Now the #1 men’s tennis player in the world tested positive. I get we need to protect the at risk category, but this is going to cost a lot of low risk individuals opportunities.

Now the #1 men’s tennis player in the world tested positive. I get we need to protect the at risk category, but this is going to cost a lot of low risk individuals opportunities.
I'm extremely lucky to be doing what I do for work, but mark my words: this second wave push back is going to be even more draconian than the first wave. People are literally losing their minds over this, and a lot of low risk people are going to be severely damaged financially and economically for a long time because of how we are (not) managing the risk surrounding this disease.

There was a while where it was believed that AIDS - at the time a 100% mortality rate disease - was passed through drinking fountains and swimming pools, yet I don't remember a moratorium on every fountain and pool because an AIDS victim might use them, which would be the equivalent to what is going on today.

It is pretty clear at this point that aerosol transmission is the source of most of the infections. Surface contact can do it, and aerosol and contact work pretty effectively together, but aerosol has been the primary delivery system this time around. That is a significant change from what we previously understood. It has a significant impact on what I do for a living, and the past 4 months have been a real learning curve.

Risk is not just to those getting sick; it is to those they in turn infect. That is how epidemics spread, and how low-risk individuals make others who are not low-risk sick.

Means exist to manage the situation, but a key element involves wearing masks when around others, due to the aerosol impact. We have a group of folks who don't get that. Ignorance is fine; it can be corrected. But when someone makes a conscious choice to remain ignorant in the face of the information, it crosses over into some mix of stupidity and lack of concern for others.

As long as we have people who refuse to wear masks, we can't manage the virus exposure in easier and less business-intrusive ways. I'm sure all those mask-less people think that they are done with the virus, but unfortunately, the virus is not done with them...or us...or me.

If you are interested, here is a representative example of how engineering and science are moving. The only thing new about this for me when I read it was the relationship between relative humidity and aerosol transfer. Other info I've read since then has made it clear that while 6' might be adequate social distance in an environment in the 40-60% RH range, during a Santa Ana condition in SoCal (when RH dips below 10%), the social distance aerosol transmission distance is probably more like 12-15'.

https://www.ashrae.org/file library/about/position documents/pd_infectiousaerosols_2020.pdf

Over and over again I'm having to try to explain to folks that I work with that the path forward until Covid is resolved that permits us to stay in business with the least disruption relies on our adherence to what we know to be optimum social behavior. Hygiene, distance, short time duration in congested areas and masks when around others are the biggies.

If you want to minimize the need for any additional or subsequent shutdowns, wear the masks. If you don't want to wear a mask, don't b!tch when infection rates climb and further mandatory steps are needed. It is within our control. Unfortunately, some people have no self control.

It is pretty clear at this point that aerosol transmission is the source of most of the infections. Surface contact can do it, and aerosol and contact work pretty effectively together, but aerosol has been the primary delivery system this time around. That is a significant change from what we previously understood. It has a significant impact on what I do for a living, and the past 4 months have been a real learning curve.

Risk is not just to those getting sick; it is to those they in turn infect. That is how epidemics spread, and how low-risk individuals make others who are not low-risk sick.

Means exist to manage the situation, but a key element involves wearing masks when around others, due to the aerosol impact. We have a group of folks who don't get that. Ignorance is fine; it can be corrected. But when someone makes a conscious choice to remain ignorant in the face of the information, it crosses over into some mix of stupidity and lack of concern for others.

As long as we have people who refuse to wear masks, we can't manage the virus exposure in easier and less business-intrusive ways. I'm sure all those mask-less people think that they are done with the virus, but unfortunately, the virus is not done with them...or us...or me.

If you are interested, here is a representative example of how engineering and science are moving. The only thing new about this for me when I read it was the relationship between relative humidity and aerosol transfer. Other info I've read since then has made it clear that while 6' might be adequate social distance in an environment in the 40-60% RH range, during a Santa Ana condition in SoCal (when RH dips below 10%), the social distance aerosol transmission distance is probably more like 12-15'.

https://www.ashrae.org/file library/about/position documents/pd_infectiousaerosols_2020.pdf

Over and over again I'm having to try to explain to folks that I work with that the path forward until Covid is resolved that permits us to stay in business with the least disruption relies on our adherence to what we know to be optimum social behavior. Hygiene, distance, short time duration in congested areas and masks when around others are the biggies.

If you want to minimize the need for any additional or subsequent shutdowns, wear the masks. If you don't want to wear a mask, don't b!tch when infection rates climb and further mandatory steps are needed. It is within our control. Unfortunately, some people have no self control.

Preach!

"...until covid is resolved...". This is a problem.

There is a whole lot of fckery going on with our inept CDC and blue state nanny governors. If masks are truly the answer, then stop dicking around with phases and come up with a comprehensive plan that mandates mask use in public and let society get back to as close to normal as possible.

Then you have the press... don't even get me started.

Reactions: 78Chief

We have homes in Redmond Ridge and Chelan. The house pets wear masks in RR. Maybe 10% in Chelan

10% humidity in Central Washington is fairly common. May partially explain the high infection rates in Yakima and Tri-Cities.

More opportunities.

Lots of empty retail spaces....

Reactions: kougkurt
Honestly the best response to this that I ever saw came from Alonzo Mourning, who years ago pointed out that players didn't create the marketplace. TV money and merchandising and ticket revenue created the marketplace. I understand everyday people busting their butts resenting athletes getting paid crazy money to play a game. I do. But I think the owners get off light, because they aren't on TV much (except for say, Jerry Jones) but they rake in INSANE amounts of revenue. Back before the Super Bowl era, part of the reason players made jack is because there wasn't THAT much money to be had in owning a team either. Not a lot to go around after overhead. By the 80s things had changed, and eventually the unions forced a more equitable solution. Individual knuckleheads aside, I'm ok with players demanding 'market value' for their services (given that market value fluctuates, usually up), since they sacrifice their bodies and in some cases minds for a few years to be our gladiators and then have to go off and do something else that they may not always be equipped to do. I'm less sympathetic to an ownership group that never hesitates to hold a city hostage for a new stadium complex that they don't have to pay for, that rakes in crazy money off broadcast and merch rights, and that has very little trouble sabotaging seasons when they think it's in their financial interests to do so, because they know regular fans will throw their hate at the players because they're more visible.

Here is the BIG problem I have with regard to the insane salaries that professional athletes are making these days. Too many of us are paying their salaries whether we attend games or not. The owners and players get millions and billions in support from governments to build their arenas and stadiums. That means they are built on the taxes that we all pay. Also, corporations get to write off millions of dollars in tickets and luxury boxes for themselves and clients. That means we are paying for team operations through increased imcome taxes as well as higher prices when we patronize those companies.

How about we make them operate efficiently on only what they can do through ticket sales and media agreements and eliminate all the tax breaks and subsidies?

The ag industry may not have much social distancing.
Most food operations require masks, have temp checks, and partitioning between workers. Also have modified lunch and break rooms.

One issue is that a lot of families work together at these plants, so if one gets it they all get it.

Most food operations require masks, have temp checks, and partitioning between workers. Also have modified lunch and break rooms.

One issue is that a lot of families work together at these plants, so if one gets it they all get it.

It is likely close quarters at work and at home. Mask or not, it’s just hard to avoid it altogether.

Reactions: sellas
Good lord. Is anyone even dealing in logic anymore or just lemmings wandering around hoping someone can tell them the “best” way to do things? It is a virus. They have existed as long as we have. This is not even close to the worst. Take precautions sure, but those folks selling their soul for this will find plenty of takers. Good luck with that mess.

in 1968 we had about 3.5 billion people....in that year, one million died of the Hong Kong flu.....since our population is over twice that now, we'd have to have 2 million people die to be as bad as the Hong Kong flu....we're at about half a million in the world....

and we live in a world today where there is massive intercontinental travel....and even then, we are no where near the Hong Kong flu numbers....

testing has dramatically increased and the number of positives reflects that.......deaths however are greatly diminished...

I wonder if we told the vulnerable, if they WANTED to, to stay home and let all the other people out and about, would we have achieved herd immunity by now?.....as it is, the virus is slowly passing over society and we'll have people in panic for a couple of yrs...

its insanity.....

its hard to even imagine "measles parties" back in the day...

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
in 1968 we had about 3.5 billion people....in that year, one million died of the Hong Kong flu.....since our population is over twice that now, we'd have to have 2 million people die to be as bad as the Hong Kong flu....we're at about half a million in the world....

and we live in a world today where there is massive intercontinental travel....and even then, we are no where near the Hong Kong flu numbers....

testing has dramatically increased and the number of positives reflects that.......deaths however are greatly diminished...

I wonder if we told the vulnerable, if they WANTED to, to stay home and let all the other people out and about, would we have achieved herd immunity by now?.....as it is, the virus is slowly passing over society and we'll have people in panic for a couple of yrs...

its insanity.....

its hard to even imagine "measles parties" back in the day...

I do not believe it is an equitable comparison between viruses and eras. For this reason.... we have huge hospitals, advanced medicine, advanced equipment, the most amount of healthcare professionals with the most education ever....

To compare numbers from 1968 or 1919 when there were none of those people or things available to now when all of those people and things are available isnt a fair comparison.

I do not believe it is an equitable comparison between viruses and eras. For this reason.... we have huge hospitals, advanced medicine, advanced equipment, the most amount of healthcare professionals with the most education ever....

To compare numbers from 1968 or 1919 when there were none of those people or things available to now when all of those people and things are available isnt a fair comparison.
To circle back around to athletics and liability, particularly with student athletes in team contact sports, I have to wonder how many people in risk management don't want to go NEAR this for fear of what might transpire. The market may solve what others do not. Just as businesses won't have customers whether people comply with the distancing rules, or not. Not complying just means fewer customers for a longer period of time. Just like people denying climate change until the ocean eats their house and they can't get insurance. Reality catches up eventually

To circle back around to athletics and liability, particularly with student athletes in team contact sports, I have to wonder how many people in risk management don't want to go NEAR this for fear of what might transpire. The market may solve what others do not. Just as businesses won't have customers whether people comply with the distancing rules, or not. Not complying just means fewer customers for a longer period of time. Just like people denying climate change until the ocean eats their house and they can't get insurance. Reality catches up eventually

Ohio State has families signing waivers...

If the kid gets the virus and dies while participating in a university event.... prob gonna be a lawsuit.

In the business world I travel.... Ive watched 10 of the 15 largest fairs in the nation cancel. Hundreds of millions of dollars lost. I think these people are looking at the risk involved of a mass crowd and if their insurance will cover it of someone contact traces to their event. It comes down risk versus reward... and your exposure to risk and what it could cost you.

Now that I think about it, this is all posturing by the NCAA to buy time. No way a season happens this fall. Too many people involved. Too much opportunity for things to go really bad and kids get sick and die. They are gonna run this plane to the edge of the runway and turn off the engines.

Bingo. And if you look at the counties still in Phase I (Benton, Franklin, chelan, Douglas, Yakima) what do they all share? Lots of ag jobs, lots of processing plants.
Yakima county has mapped cases down to census blocks, and it’s telling. Highest rates are - not surprisingly- primarily in the lower income areas with higher densities and multi-generational housing. The other counties don’t have comparable maps, but I suspect they’d show the same pattern.
Rates in Benton-Franklin and Chelan-Douglas are disproportionately high in the Hispanic population. In those areas, Hispanic workers are a significant part of the ag labor force. Yakima’s city by city distribution also shows disproportionate case loads in Sunnyside, Grandview, Zillah, and areas with more congregate job settings.
Seems likely that an industry-focused, multi-lingual effort would be more effective than the statewide shotgun approach.

Reactions: kougkurt
What's sad is we have Houston in our house in the fall. And of course Dawgs are in the house. If all this gets cancelled, we go to Montlake next year....how do we get our home field advantage back?

I know. What "home field advantage"?

Reactions: Cougzz
I guess we are to the point where people testing negative for a disease which isn't harmful for most people under 65 is a sign we can't play sports.
Yes, but that isn't the real issue.

We're at a point that hystrionics and hyperbole have been allowed to control and direct the narrative, and even worse public policy.

What if I told you about a disease that has a relatively low mortality rate but affects 5 million people per year, adding stress to our heath care system. By current policy, we should do everything possible to make sure that those 5 million aren't affected so that there is zero mortality rate.

That disease is skin cancer. By current standards, we should force everyone to stay inside during daylight hours in order to (Inslee's words) "defeat the disease." By current standards, there is no measure too far in order to protect just one life.

I'm not a Union Jack flying, staunch libertarian here - I appreciate some level of government guidance that serves to benefit the greater good, but all the politicizing and misleading numbers lead me to believe that everything isn't quite as it seems.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Realtors in Houston are pushing for the ban of the term Master with regard to “suit” or “bedroom”. Common man.

Realtors in Houston are pushing for the ban of the term Master with regard to “suit” or “bedroom”. Common man.
think you meant "suite", and don't forget "bathroom".

because, Lord knows there are no other connotations or context for the word "master".

Also in that article - "master sommolier" will not longer gain that title. Probably going to go with "really, really, really good sommolier."

number of cases going up....AS EXPECTED....number of deaths going done...AS EXPECTED....

take any random group of people and test them....positives will be roughly the same as the athletes....

we are not going to have this Gates vaccine for some time and with any vaccine, its not totally effective....

will someone please tell me what time period in our world have humans been completely safe from war, disease, hunger, accidents, violence, or injury?......NEVER...

so I know this doesn't affect those who are sitting at home, comfortably drawing a paycheck and not a care in the world but here's a news flash....there's people out there that NEED to work, NEED to pay bills, NEED to save their businesses...

so when exactly will it be safe enough for the world to return?....nobody getting sick?...impossible!

what we should have done: tell vulnerable to self isolate.....have society continue and the covid pass among the young and healthy and get it OVER WITH....

nope....we had to string this out...and for what?.....not one person was saved by this lockdown...not one...

but if there is no college football, so be it.....they need to cancel pro football too......

I guess the only upside is no opportunities to protest the flag....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT