ADVERTISEMENT

I’m looking forward to

COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
1. The spring game. Just about anyone who should be worried about catching the Corona virus should have a vaccination by then. I may be be putting too much faith in Inslee but I can’t see why 5000 Coug fans can’t attend.
2. PAC 12 basketball tournie. See No. 1. At least limited attendance should be allowed. It’s Vegas for Christ’s sake.
3. Opener in Pullman. Utah State. Should be quite the party. See you there.

Reactions: Coug90 and ATACFD
Yus! Probs be a sell-out for that opener. And the way time flies, before you know it, we'll already be at this point next year debating about what all Rolovich did well or not so well. Thats all i have to say about that.

Utah State game will almost certainly have huge attendance, after a season of fan isolation. Hope the university figures out something that makes sense for informal tailgating.

You guys are funny if you think Inslee has any intention of opening back up to full freedom and movement during his term.
I’m on Inslee’s side in all this, but if after the vaccine is widely used, and CFR falls below .1, and we make massive ground through spring and summer....if there are still restrictions I’ll be reaching over the isle to join the people who are prepping for civil war and mass constitutional lawsuits. We’ve done our part, and will continue through this winter and spring season. But if we can’t get back to normal by the summer/fall it’ll be about the time experiencing living outweighs fighting a battle that isn’t winnable.

Reactions: sellas
I’m on Inslee’s side in all this, but if after the vaccine is widely used, and CFR falls below .1, and we make massive ground through spring and summer....if there are still restrictions I’ll be reaching over the isle to join the people who are prepping for civil war and mass constitutional lawsuits. We’ve done our part, and will continue through this winter and spring season. But if we can’t get back to normal by the summer/fall it’ll be about the time experiencing living outweighs fighting a battle that isn’t winnable.

See you next summer.

The battle isn’t against a virus either.

Are you aware that covid has killed more Americans in a calender year (9 months, actually) than any single cause in our entire history (sans perhaps the Spanish flu). I'm tempted to ask you what "Q" is telling you to say about that. But i won't. Taihtsat

Flu deaths way down in 2020. Almost non-existent.

It's a Christmas miracle.

Flu deaths way down in 2020. Almost non-existent.

It's a Christmas miracle.
Another thing you didn't know, (apparently) was that flu season and deaths dropped off the table in March of this year. Something to do with society behaviors maybe? Translation: flu and covid are spread in much the same way. Taihtsat

Reactions: Coug1990 and sellas
Heart disease and diabetes deaths way down too.

2020 - best.health.year.ever.

Hmmm, source? According to the CDC diabetes as a whole has been decreasing 2008-2018. Heart disease had gone down 19% 1999-2011, then increased for 4% through 2017. So MAYBE a one year trend isn't anything to draw strong conclusions about. But anyway, source?

Heart disease and diabetes deaths way down too.

2020 - best.health.year.ever.
Covid-deniers should fact-check themselves against something other than Trump, Q-Anon or Fox news. CDC says all forms of death are up this year and likely some deaths attributed to heart disease or diabetes may have been mis-diagnosed and were actually Covid-related. This, from the New York Times--that bastion of "fake" news.

Hmmm, source? According to the CDC diabetes as a whole has been decreasing 2008-2018. Heart disease had gone down 19% 1999-2011, then increased for 4% through 2017. So MAYBE a one year trend isn't anything to draw strong conclusions about. But anyway, source?

Won't matter to the faithful. Anything that goes against the narrative is QAnon/Conspiracy Theory.

Enjoy 2021 season from your couch, too.

Covid-deniers should fact-check themselves against something other than Trump, Q-Anon or Fox news. CDC says all forms of death are up this year and likely some deaths attributed to heart disease or diabetes may have been mis-diagnosed and were actually Covid-related. This, from the New York Times--that bastion of "fake" news.

You'll enjoy Joe Rogan's episode with Alex Berensen this week then. He only spent 10 years as a New York Times reporter.

So, the one year Covid thing isn’t something to worry about either. Good to know.

Won't matter to the faithful. Anything that goes against the narrative is QAnon/Conspiracy Theory.

Enjoy 2021 season from your couch, too.
Oh...the "narrative". Just what exactly is the "narrative"? I know what your narrative is, because it's arrived at through a void of data, facts and objective sources. I enjoy how you make claims without evidence and when asked for it you deflect time and time again. You ask me a question, I'll answer it. You ask for supporting evidence, I'll provide. You ask me why i think this or that, I'll tell you. But you seem to run from this. Taihtsat

Oh...the "narrative". Just what exactly is the "narrative"? I know what your narrative is, because it's arrived at through a void of data, facts and objective sources. I enjoy how you make claims without evidence and when asked for it you deflect time and time again. You ask me a question, I'll answer it. You ask for supporting evidence, I'll provide. You ask me why i think this or that, I'll tell you. But you seem to run from this. Taihtsat

I pointed you to the Berensen interview on Rogan. Plenty of stats on efficacy of masks relative to the particulate size of the virus, the relative non-risk of the virus to men of a certain age.

Or do a little googling on the studies of Dr Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford and his esteemed colleagues from the academic wastelands of Harvard and Oxford.

The Barrington Declaration of 50,000 plus medical professionals and scientists also has some neato data.

Or you can rely on what the UW epidemiologists modeled 9 months ago and trust in guys like Jay Inslee and his lackeys.

I'd put more stock in Donald McNeal NY Times reporter who specializes in these kinds of topics and is actively reporting on it now
[/URL]
rather than a guy who was more of a fiction/thriller kind of writer and is a former reporter for the NY times. Not surprising you would be motivated to accept his views seeing how it fits more with your narrative. Confirmation bias on display.

You may learn something from reading this about the Barrington Declaration
The good doctor from Stanford is addressed in there. These folks are outliers, like creationists, anti-vaxxers, climate-change denialists and folks who think trump was robbed by fraud. Wondering how many of these categories you fit into? Taihtsat

Reactions: Coug1990
I'd put more stock in Donald McNeal NY Times reporter who specializes in these kinds of topics and is actively reporting on it now
[/URL]
rather than a guy who was more of a fiction/thriller kind of writer and is a former reporter for the NY times. Not surprising you would be motivated to accept his views seeing how it fits more with your narrative. Confirmation bias on display.

You may learn something from reading this about the Barrington Declaration
The good doctor from Stanford is addressed in there. These folks are outliers, like creationists, anti-vaxxers, climate-change denialists and folks who think trump was robbed by fraud. Wondering how many of these categories you fit into? Taihtsat

It seems quite important that I submit to your will and find your gospel.

But thanks for the mansplaining. Again.

You're oh for four, too.

I subscribe to the iceberg theory on Covid. The death numbers are the tip of the iceberg. Tragic, no doubt, and I feel for everyone who knows someone who has died or suffered as a result of the virus.

The remainder of the iceberg is what I’m most concerned about. Economic collapse, millions of children having their childhoods destroyed for a 0% chance of death to them, an exponentially widened gap between the haves and the have nots. Unrecoverable academic setbacks to the most at risk children. Even more distance between corporate and small businesses.

The average age of death for Covid is over 80. Again, tragic, but those people have lived full lives. They had their childhoods. Raised their families. We have shut down the world to save the members of the herd who were nearing the end of their lives. That is unheard of in the origin of species. I’m caring for my 76 year old parents. I love them dearly, and they completely agree with me on this. I don’t expect everyone else to, but this is my take on it.

America. The nation that doesn’t give a $hit about anyone but themselves is pretending to care for their neighbor. Look at the recent election cycle if you need evidence of the hypocrisy. Sorry, but I think the whole thing is hogwash. There was no stopping this pandemic.

Last edited:
I subscribe to the iceberg theory on Covid. The death numbers are the tip of the iceberg. Tragic, no doubt, and I feel for everyone who knows someone who has died or suffered as a result of the virus.

The remainder of the iceberg is what I’m most concerned about. Economic collapse, millions of children having their childhoods destroyed for a 0% change of death to them, an exponentially widened gap between the haves and the have nots. Unrecoverable academic setbacks to the most at risk children. Even more distance between corporate and small businesses.

The average age of death for Covid is over 80. Again, tragic, but those people have lived full lives. Had their childhoods. Raised their families. We have shut down the world to save the members of the herd who were nearing the end of their lives. That is unheard of in the origin of species. I’m caring for my 76 year old parents. I love them dearly, and they completely agree with me on this. I don’t expect everyone else to, but this is my take on it.

America. The nation that doesn’t give a $hit about anyone but themselves is pretending to care for their neighbor. Look at the recent election cycle if you need evidence of the hypocrisy. Sorry, but I think the whole thing is hogwash. There was no stopping this pandemic.

Agreed - will I see you at the Anti-Vaxxer Anon or the Creationist meeting tonight?

Agreed - will I see you at the Anti-Vaxxer Anon or the Creationist meeting tonight?
Let's see if I can accurately summarize your position: if it was up to you, you would lift all restrictions related to covid control and shoot for herd immunity. Correct?

The remainder of the iceberg is what I’m most concerned about. Economic collapse, millions of children having their childhoods destroyed for a 0% change of death to them, an exponentially widened gap between the haves and the have nots. Unrecoverable academic setbacks to the most at risk children. Even more distance between corporate and small businesses.

The average age of death for Covid is over 80. Again, tragic, but those people have lived full lives. Had their childhoods. Raised their families. We have shut down the world to save the members of the herd who were nearing the end of their lives. That is unheard of in the origin of species. I’m caring for my 76 year old parents. I love them dearly, and they completely agree with me on this. I don’t expect everyone else to, but this is my take on it.

I understand all that because there are always going to be unintended consequences and planned for or necessary consequences. Authorities all over the world have applied a cost-benefit analysis. But it sounds as if you are for lifting all or most restrictions, getting almost completely back to normal behavior-wise and letting the chips fall where they may regarding the most vulnerable?

If that be the case I think we'd see even more hospitalizations. Taihtsat

What I wish I'd see more people (outside the 50-60% in the middle) acknowledge is that it is our own behavior that has driven the clumsy and imprecise government closures, which are attempting to slow down the spread caused by people who don't acknowledge/refuse to believe/are told what to believe by their mega-church/decided that health issues are really a political conspiracy...etc. Business has been hurt, the impact on the poor amplified, ICU's have been slammed, and tragedy exacerbated by people who can't be troubled to behave in a manner that we've known since mid-April was the best course of action to protect others from spread. And those who read and understand what is going on often react so emotionally to the bad behavior by others that those who have still not accepted what has been learned simply put their hands over their ears and start shouting so they don't have to listen. As I've posted before, when this is over and we understand that 30-40% of the deaths could have been avoided with good civic behavior, we will need a national forgiveness effort. As well as a lot of guilt therapy, because despite how the majority view the minority to be both stupid and unfeeling in this matter, you know that guilt over the poor behavior is setting in for some, and more will experience it as they come to accept that a lot of people died unnecessarily. We will need to get past that blame as a society, because it is very corrosive. I have a partner who refuses to wear a mask (he wears a face shield to try to not feel so guilty) and the rest of us have had it. I can never respect him again. I will need to get past the bad feelings when this is past...and I honestly don't know if I can. I can only commit to try.

Reactions: mikalalas
I understand all that because there are always going to be unintended consequences and planned for or necessary consequences. Authorities all over the world have applied a cost-benefit analysis. But it sounds as if you are for lifting all or most restrictions, getting almost completely back to normal behavior-wise and letting the chips fall where they may regarding the most vulnerable?

If that be the case I think we'd see even more hospitalizations. Taihtsat

Don’t assume that others adhere to identity politics just because you do.

What I wish I'd see more people (outside the 50-60% in the middle) acknowledge is that it is our own behavior that has driven the clumsy and imprecise government closures, which are attempting to slow down the spread caused by people who don't acknowledge/refuse to believe/are told what to believe by their mega-church/decided that health issues are really a political conspiracy...etc. Business has been hurt, the impact on the poor amplified, ICU's have been slammed, and tragedy exacerbated by people who can't be troubled to behave in a manner that we've known since mid-April was the best course of action to protect others from spread. And those who read and understand what is going on often react so emotionally to the bad behavior by others that those who have still not accepted what has been learned simply put their hands over their ears and start shouting so they don't have to listen. As I've posted before, when this is over and we understand that 30-40% of the deaths could have been avoided with good civic behavior, we will need a national forgiveness effort. As well as a lot of guilt therapy, because despite how the majority view the minority to be both stupid and unfeeling in this matter, you know that guilt over the poor behavior is setting in for some, and more will experience it as they come to accept that a lot of people died unnecessarily. We will need to get past that blame as a society, because it is very corrosive. I have a partner who refuses to wear a mask (he wears a face shield to try to not feel so guilty) and the rest of us have had it. I can never respect him again. I will need to get past the bad feelings when this is past...and I honestly don't know if I can. I can only commit to try.

Despite bars, restaurants and gyms being closed for the last six weeks, new cases are surging.

What I am looking forward to is people acknowledging that there isn’t a way to stop the spread of a highly contagious respiratory virus in an open society.

Let's see if I can accurately summarize your position: if it was up to you, you would lift all restrictions related to covid control and shoot for herd immunity. Correct?

I am 100% on board with masking and social distancing protocols, and I have been sheltering at home since March. I will also get vaccinated as soon as it's available to me.

With that said, yes, I am a proponent of keeping our primary infrastructure up and running and asking those who are most at risk to take added protective measures and shelter at home. I would not propose that large attendance gatherings such as sporting events, concerts, etc. take place, but I would have absolutely kept the schools open. The vacated stadiums and auditoriums across the Nation *should have* been converted to emergency medical overflow areas as needed.

This is going to come across badly, and I apologize in advance for the perceived insensitivity, but generally speaking, I view the pandemic casualties as natures will. It's harsh, and cruel, and unfair, as are diseases like cancer, heart disease, etc. Globally, we needed to act quickly to create a vaccine, which we have done, and I'm thrilled about it.

I don't think it would be accurate to say that I'm "shooting for herd immunity." If that happens, it happens. I have a live and let live attitude about life. I am a 2x cancer survivor, and I do everything I possibly can to maintain my health. I exercise 6x/week and eat an extremely clean diet. I care for my aging parents, and my Father is in the early stages of dementia. I'm also a single Dad to my twin boys. My doctor has told me that, given my health background, I'm at an extremely low risk of developing complications from COVID, as are my family. Good enough for me. If we get COVID, I believe we'll beat it. If we don't, I'll live with the outcome without regret. Again, I don't expect everyone to share that perspective, and I'm not careless about taking protective measures. The disease generally affects the elderly and those with compromised immunity or underlying health issues. We're destroying the economy and ruining the childhoods (and the futures) of tens of millions of children who are largely not at any risk whatsoever. That's not OK with me. Just my .02c.

I am 100% on board with masking and social distancing protocols, and I have been sheltering at home since March. I will also get vaccinated as soon as it's available to me.

With that said, yes, I am a proponent of keeping our primary infrastructure up and running and asking those who are most at risk to take added protective measures and shelter at home. I would not propose that large attendance gatherings such as sporting events, concerts, etc. take place, but I would have absolutely kept the schools open. The vacated stadiums and auditoriums across the Nation *should have* been converted to emergency medical overflow areas as needed.

This is going to come across badly, and I apologize in advance for the perceived insensitivity, but generally speaking, I view the pandemic casualties as natures will. It's harsh, and cruel, and unfair, as are diseases like cancer, heart disease, etc. Globally, we needed to act quickly to create a vaccine, which we have done, and I'm thrilled about it.

I don't think it would be accurate to say that I'm "shooting for herd immunity." If that happens, it happens. I have a live and let live attitude about life. I am a 2x cancer survivor, and I do everything I possibly can to maintain my health. I exercise 6x/week and eat an extremely clean diet. I care for my aging parents, and my Father is in the early stages of dementia. I'm also a single Dad to my twin boys. My doctor has told me that, given my health background, I'm at an extremely low risk of developing complications from COVID, as are my family. Good enough for me. If we get COVID, I believe we'll beat it. If we don't, I'll live with the outcome without regret. Again, I don't expect everyone to share that perspective, and I'm not careless about taking protective measures. The disease generally affects the elderly and those with compromised immunity or underlying health issues. We're destroying the economy and ruining the childhoods (and the futures) of tens of millions of children who are largely not at any risk whatsoever. That's not OK with me. Just my .02c.

I bet you’re a birther too.

Without getting into an argument (hopefully), as I hate being lumped into a "side" on issues like this, I have a hard time reconciling this view that this would have gone much better if not for rubes refusing to wear masks (of which I'm not one, BTW). What about Europe? What about California, Washington, NY, etc.? So much less spread, and at-risk people wouldn't have died, if not for mega churches telling people not to wear masks in those places? I'm open to evidence backing that, but it seems that there instead are some visible examples of people refusing to wear masks or otherwise not taking this seriously, with those being afforded an outsized role by some in the "debate" on this, especially with the political overlay in this election year. I'd feel differently if there weren't all these flare-ups in many European countries, especially. It seems most likely that this instead is just pretty damned contagious and only the timing of spread, not its eventuality -- if even that -- would be at issue in any western democracies. This talk of a "forgiveness effort" and the like is pretty weird and a bit disturbing, honestly, neither of which makes it unlikely to occur.

Last edited:
Without getting into an argument (hopefully), as I hate being lumped into a "side" on issues like this, I have a hard time reconciling this view that this would have gone much better if not for rubes refusing to wear masks (of which I'm not one, BTW). What about Europe? What about California, Washington, NY, etc.? So much less spread, and at-risk people wouldn't have died, if not for mega churches telling people not to wear masks in those places? I'm open to evidence backing that, but it seems that there instead are some visible examples of people refusing to wear masks or otherwise not taking this seriously, with those being afforded an outsized role by some in the "debate" on this, especially with the political overlay in this election year. I'd feel differently if there weren't all these flare-ups in many European countries, especially. It seems most likely that this instead is just pretty damned contagious and only the timing of spread, not its eventuality -- if even that -- would be at issue in any western democracies. This talk of a "forgiveness effort" and the like is pretty weird and a bit disturbing, honestly, neither of which makes it unlikely to occur.

It was never going to work in a society like ours.

Yeah , I think just about all of your post is reasonable and certainly across the globe we've seen all manner of strategies and outcomes some all from the same country, notably here in the uSA.

I try to gauge my feelings and concerns about covid based on looking outside my particular risk pool. I'm not likely to be seriously affected (But you never know). But the odds are in my favor. I think we can all agree that if things were reversed like during the spanish flu (younger aged were more threatened) the nation would be freaking out. But the stress to the healthcare system might be the same.

I understand the position about the advanced age and already-lived-life aspect of the majority of today's victims, but these people still have to be treated. I believe that is still the primary concern for most governments - hospital care capacity.

Having said all that - yes, the economy matters immensely. People's businesses must be protected and sustained. Easy answers are hard to come by, but for me the best solution is a huge influx of money and grants to keep them afloat. Deficit be damned. Taihtsat

Last edited:
Despite bars, restaurants and gyms being closed for the last six weeks, new cases are surging.

What I am looking forward to is people acknowledging that there isn’t a way to stop the spread of a highly contagious respiratory virus in an open society.
Are you open to the idea that cases began surging right after Halloween with a nationwide bump provided by thankgiving? This would not need bars or restaurants or gyms to feed the spread.

Is Australia an open society? Earlier this month while we were topping 200k cases per day, they had 6! ALL those cases were traced to incoming travel. I would agree with you that in the uSA it's not likely gonna happen if that's what you mean. Taihtsat

Don’t assume that others adhere to identity politics just because you do.
I assume everyone on some level adheres to identity politics. Just ask yourself what and with whom you identify and then move onto why and how and you'll likely get there. Taihtsat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT