ADVERTISEMENT

I love Leach, but....

It’s not short yardage alone it’s Leachs quirkiness and stubbornness about things in in general. Lump that in w questionable time outs, and the rinse and repeat offensive failures of AC. Leach has proven since at Tech he’s an above average coach that can win a lot of games and get a school with less resources to bowl games, but I’d argue he also fails to adapt in ways needed to win that game that gets his teams a championship. He’s not alone, plenty of Husky fans are screaming the same thing about Petersen right now.

I read, "the winning seasons are nice and all, but I don't really like how we play. I would be much happier with a different system"

You guys are whining about things that YOU KNOW aren't going to change. What you really want is a different coach with a different system. Just admit it. Quit being so passive aggressive about it. Just own it. It's OK.

I read, "the winning seasons are nice and all, but I don't really like how we play. I would be much happier with a different system"

You guys are whining about things that YOU KNOW aren't going to change. What you really want is a different coach with a different system. Just admit it. Quit being so passive aggressive about it. Just own it. It's OK.

Im not passive aggressive. Im aggressive aggressive.

I like a passing offense that maximizes the talents of the players WSU has. Air raid, spread, run n shoot, fun n gun, whatever. I dont care.

What I do care about is WSU not pissing away games and wins because of coaching. I think that’s reasonable.

If Leach had to leave WSU so WSU could maximize it’s talent and win a league title, are you in?

I like a passing offense that maximizes the talents of the players WSU has. Air raid, spread, run n shoot, fun n gun, whatever. I dont care.

What I do care about is WSU not pissing away games and wins because of coaching. I think that’s reasonable.

If Leach had to leave WSU so WSU could maximize it’s talent and win a league title, are you in?

You’re a whiner.

Whoever said that this thread reeks of UW GRCC grad entitlement hit the nail on the fcking head.

Believe it or not, we're still in the golden age of WSU football. We just came off the single best season in school history. If we inly win 6 games it'll still easily be the best 5-6 year run in school history.

Yes, the CML idiosyncrasies are maddening at times. No doubt the defense leaves much to be desired, and the offense leaves points on the table. If we only win 6 we should all be disappointed - there is enough talent on the team to have won more. But all you whiners are acting like CML is content with 6 wins and thats where we'll be for the forseeable future.

Take off your myopic glasses and try to remember that we were all in agreement that 8-9 wins MOST years, with a 6 win year in between and the occasional 10+ win was the expectation.

Last edited:

Our talent is being maximized right now. Now if you told me you had someone that could bring in better talent, I'd be listening.

The thread wasn’t started to whine or complain, it’s an observation that our short yardage formation doesn’t work. It’s by far the weakest link in Leach’s otherwise great offense, and it’s easily correctable...and needs to improve.

Those are the types of comments and observations that prompted the creation of these fan boards. Good Lord guys. Nothing that was said here was out of bounds.

The thread wasn’t started to whine or complain, it’s an observation that our short yardage formation doesn’t work. It’s by far the weakest link in Leach’s otherwise great offense, and it’s easily correctable...and needs to improve.

Those are the types of comments and observations that prompted the creation of these fan boards. Good Lord guys. Nothing that was said here was out of bounds.

The receivers were one on in the red zone. Tay has one bounce off him. Easop dropped one. Dez had one behind him that he had a chance to catch.

The receivers were one on in the red zone. Tay has one bounce off him. Easop dropped one. Dez had one behind him that he had a chance to catch.
I also thought a run or two with Borghi in that drive right before halftime was advisable, but nobody would've complained had Tay caught a perfect pass to him on that first down play. Simply flubbed a ball that should've been caught.

Glad Cougar

Ok lets get rid of Leach and get a power running game guy in here

That always works against superior talent

:rolleyes:

Who is asking for a power running game??

Whats funny is that Leach has said if he didn’t throw the ball he would run the wishbone. You in???

Who is asking for a power running game??

Whats funny is that Leach has said if he didn’t throw the ball he would run the wishbone. You in???

We have to run some kind of system at WSU to maximize our talent and overcome deficiencies. I’d be fine with running the wishbone if the coach knew what he was doing.

The question is why do you want to change the system? You and sponge should grab a beer at My Office and talk about how Leach will never get it done here.

Reactions: OrangeGravy
We have to run some kind of system at WSU to maximize our talent and overcome deficiencies. I’d be fine with running the wishbone if the coach knew what he was doing.

The question is why do you want to change the system? You and sponge should grab a beer at My Office and talk about how Leach will never get it done here.

For the record, I don’t want to change the system. I’d just like to see us change some things up in short yardage situations. The direct snap to Borghi or Harris would be easy to incorporate.

UW ran the Wildcat with their 4th string running back. And they ran it multiple times. Not sufficient personnel and no element of surprise.

Borghi as a once per game thing would be refreshing. And keep Gordon in at QB to keep them guessing.
When I day direct snap I'm not saying wildcat. I mean line Borghi and Gordon up the same way they are like 80% of the time, snap the ball straight to Borghi, and let the linemen hit somebody in the mouth. Don't give the defense time to close on it

I still think Leach is leaps and bounds better at short yardage than Price was. I share the complaint Biggs has with not allocating a portion of your reps to a couple of very quick runs that attack the defense from guard to guard, dive/inside zone plays that happen FAST. It allows UW to do what they do to us defensively, for example. And the complaint is on Leach's own philosophical turf: attack the WHOLE field.

Wouldn’t call it whining would call it thoughtful observations. Throw insults if it makes you feel better, perhaps getting spanked by UW every year makes you feel better too?

Reactions: kayak15 and 79COUG
Wouldn’t call it whining would call it thoughtful observations. Throw insults if it makes you feel better, perhaps getting spanked by UW every year makes you feel better too?

Losing to UW sucks, but is no worse than losing to UCLA, Utah, or ASU. I want the fewest losses possible. 2-11 and winning the Apple Cup wasn't better than 11-2 and losing it.

Losing to UW sucks, but is no worse than losing to UCLA, Utah, or ASU. I want the fewest losses possible. 2-11 and winning the Apple Cup wasn't better than 11-2 and losing it.

It most certainly is worse than losing to UCLA, Utah or ASU.

I agree. Losing to anyone sucks. Losing to UW specifically is worse when it's for the North title. They happen to be our bad matchup. Cal is theirs. We've been a nightmare for Stanford and Oregon.

Youre telling me that Max Borghi is being maximized? Disagree 100%.

Sure Borghi is great, but overall, as a team, our talent is being maximized over the last few years. You telling me any other system would've maximized our record over the last few years with the talent we draw?

I do not regard any of the posts in this thread as "whining". I see a lot of Cougs in desire of improvement in a particular situation. As CML says, 'spend every day improving' and here is an area where we can do so. As others have noted, we will be facing teams better than the Buffs in the rest of the schedule and an improvement in short yardage situations will undoubtedly come in handy.

Personally, I would like to see Gordon under center with Borghi and Markoff behind him. A possible pass, a speedster and a battering ram spreading the defense's attention. I thought that we added Markoff to the ranks to deal with exactly this situation.

I do not regard any of the posts in this thread as "whining". I see a lot of Cougs in desire of improvement in a particular situation. As CML says, 'spend every day improving' and here is an area where we can do so. As others have noted, we will be facing teams better than the Buffs in the rest of the schedule and an improvement in short yardage situations will undoubtedly come in handy.

Personally, I would like to see Gordon under center with Borghi and Markoff behind him. A possible pass, a speedster and a battering ram spreading the defense's attention. I thought that we added Markoff to the ranks to deal with exactly this situation.

according to a post I saw on Die Hard Cougs, Markoff had been hurt the past few games.

Sure Borghi is great, but overall, as a team, our talent is being maximized over the last few years. You telling me any other system would've maximized our record over the last few years with the talent we draw?

No. Im not talking about other years either.

MB is a conference player of the year type talent. He will never see that level of production under Leach. It will cost WSU wins. Already has actually.

I agree. Losing to anyone sucks. Losing to UW specifically is worse when it's for the North title. They happen to be our bad matchup. Cal is theirs. We've been a nightmare for Stanford and Oregon.

Yeah, for arguments sake, let's say we win out and miss the P12 title game. Are we happier about this season than last because we won the AC? Or does last year's 11 win season feel better?

I'm going to choose the season with more wins 10/10 times.

No. Im not talking about other years either.

MB is a conference player of the year type talent. He will never see that level of production under Leach. It will cost WSU wins. Already has actually.

according to a post I saw on Die Hard Cougs, Markoff had been hurt the past few games.
I saw that too. Not sure how much faith to put into it. Since CML and staff are mute about injuries, all we have to rely on are rumors. True or not, he's back now and I would like to see him used more on these short yardage situations if only as a decoy.

I saw that too. Not sure how much faith to put into it. Since CML and staff are mute about injuries, all we have to rely on are rumors. True or not, he's back now and I would like to see him used more on these short yardage situations if only as a decoy.

I heard he had a lisfranc injury. My crack google research indicates that recovery is 6 weeks, so maybe it wasn't that. Theo Lawson had reported a lower body injury.

Once again, way too much policing going on here in terms of what is "acceptable" to say or think.

News alert: we're all a bunch of jagoff fans. Leach doesn't read these boards. He won't change his system for the so-called "whiners," and for everyone here attempting to make citizens' arrests of other posters for not being good fans like themselves, he's not adding you to the list for a better stocking this year.

Personally I wish Leach were more adaptable depending on the year and the pieces he has, but I wouldn't trade in a good thing for another guy or a permanent offensive restructure. I think it's fine to say that, but even if you don't, understand we're all just jagoffs talking - and that's OK.

Once again, way too much policing going on here in terms of what is "acceptable" to say or think.

News alert: we're all a bunch of jagoff fans. Leach doesn't read these boards. He won't change his system for the so-called "whiners," and for everyone here attempting to make citizens' arrests of other posters for not being good fans like themselves, he's not adding you to the list for a better stocking this year.

Personally I wish Leach were more adaptable depending on the year and the pieces he has, but I wouldn't trade in a good thing for another guy or a permanent offensive restructure. I think it's fine to say that, but even if you don't, understand we're all just jagoffs talking - and that's OK.

Certain people just need to embrace who they are. And that’s OK.

Idgaf what people post. Post away. I for one am not trying to censor.

But as another poster stated, asking for a change in a system that equates to a complete paradigm change is asking to change the system, and thus the coach. Just have the balls to say so.

Borghi IS being under-utilized. He needs to run the skinny seam out of the backfield (not in the playbook) and that wheel route (in the play book) at least twice a game. Hes a great receiver and "using" him for only checkdowns is a complete waste, and recently has resulted in mostly negative plays.

HOWEVER, asking AG/ CML to run the ball 30 times is foolhardy, if not just stupid. Never going to happen, and even if they DID call the game like that our OL couldn't generate the push to make it worthwhile. Our rbs get yards based on them creating in the backfield, not the wide open holes the OL creates. The fact that we can't generate 1-2 yards on a straight-forward dive play is damning.

I'm curious of his TT OL's were equally as poor at run blocking as our teams are.

Yeah, for arguments sake, let's say we win out and miss the P12 title game. Are we happier about this season than last because we won the AC? Or does last year's 11 win season feel better?

I'm going to choose the season with more wins 10/10 times.

If we win out, including the bowl game, we'd be 10-3. I'd probably take 10-3 with an AC win over 11-2 without (all the Minshew fun aside).

Reactions: 79COUG
We need to win an Apple Cup on occasion. Even if it means taking less than 10 wins.

And the longer that streak goes, the more wins I'm willing to give up to get an Apple Cup win. Right now, going from a 10 win season to a 9 win season including AC is fine by me.

Next year, if needed, it will go down to 8 and an AC.

Reactions: 79COUG
Idgaf what people post. Post away. I for one am not trying to censor.

But as another poster stated, asking for a change in a system that equates to a complete paradigm change is asking to change the system, and thus the coach. Just have the balls to say so.

Borghi IS being under-utilized. He needs to run the skinny seam out of the backfield (not in the playbook) and that wheel route (in the play book) at least twice a game. Hes a great receiver and "using" him for only checkdowns is a complete waste, and recently has resulted in mostly negative plays.

HOWEVER, asking AG/ CML to run the ball 30 times is foolhardy, if not just stupid. Never going to happen, and even if they DID call the game like that our OL couldn't generate the push to make it worthwhile. Our rbs get yards based on them creating in the backfield, not the wide open holes the OL creates. The fact that we can't generate 1-2 yards on a straight-forward dive play is damning.

I'm curious of his TT OL's were equally as poor at run blocking as our teams are.

Not totally sure what you mean by skinny seam. Morrow used to run that take off right up the middle when they could a LB covering him. Haven't seen it since 2016. Borghi ought to be able to do the same, so I agree with you there.

This offense is looking for big plays from the running game, just like Army, Navy and AFA are looking for big plays off play action. I'm sure the whiners are writing their congressional representatives about the service academies lack of pass attempts....

And let's face facts too. Borghi isn't going to hold up on 30 carries/touches per game. Biggs seems to forget that McCaffrey didn't last a whole season. Neither did Love. Neither did Gaskin. And the RB has pass pro responsibilities. Leach was going empty set rather than put McIntosh out there. McIntosh seems capable, does not look ready for pass protection.

I think the post came from his dad, who by the way, makes Clay look girlie.

Wish, we would "screen" with Borghi ... and if we're not gonna sneak with Gordon --under center regardless that it has been mentioned by Coach in past-- at all .... what if Gordon just took the ball and ran just a couple of times in the first quarter or early 2nd just to give Def something for those D Line and LB's to think about in future short yardage situations ?

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Not totally sure what you mean by skinny seam. Morrow used to run that take off right up the middle when they could a LB covering him. Haven't seen it since 2016. Borghi ought to be able to do the same, so I agree with you there.

This offense is looking for big plays from the running game, just like Army, Navy and AFA are looking for big plays off play action. I'm sure the whiners are writing their congressional representatives about the service academies lack of pass attempts....

And let's face facts too. Borghi isn't going to hold up on 30 carries/touches per game. Biggs seems to forget that McCaffrey didn't last a whole season. Neither did Love. Neither did Gaskin. And the RB has pass pro responsibilities. Leach was going empty set rather than put McIntosh out there. McIntosh seems capable, does not look ready for pass protection.
Yes, right up the hash marks and behind the LBs in the soft area of the zone.

McIntosh's pass blocking... ugh. Honestly, it just looks like he hasn't had enough reps. Then again, some guys never get it and end up on the bench. Hopefully he gets it eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT