ADVERTISEMENT

I love this team's resilience

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
I missed the game thread and had to watch the game on my phone, but this game started out so much like Colorado last year that I was really worried another collapse was coming. Five dropped passes, one a touchdown. The long Jones run. The fluke interception at the three yard line. But time and again the team (I emphasize, TEAM, no one person carried this effort) responded. 1st and goal from the 3 with the odds of going down 2 scores within seconds? Defense responds. Darnold pulls a 4th and 13 out of his hat and gets a quick score? Offense responds.

Previous teams would've gone on a bad roll from any one of those situations. This team just gets after it, digs in, and finds a way. USC clearly had superior athletes, but WSU looked like the superior team, from the start, and without all those drops it might've shown up early on the scoreboard. I never would have guessed it after the Boise State performance, but this team believes, and it's made me believe. And ElC has a bit of crow to dine on. Does this count as a signature win? :rolleyes:

Signature win,. The opportunity presented it self and Falk and the team seized victory. The sometimes maligned offensive line lived up to it s hype. I do not buy the bit about the vastly superior talent, The cougs have some very talented players. Hats off to Phelps as the D line is now superbly coached

Signature win,. The opportunity presented it self and Falk and the team seized victory. The sometimes maligned offensive line lived up to it s hype. I do not buy the bit about the vastly superior talent, The cougs have some very talented players. Hats off to Phelps as the D line is now superbly coached
Oh the Cougs have talent, but go back and watch our corners trying to tackle their wide receivers, for example. Or poor BJ Salmonson getting manhandled repeatedly. What I meant though, was that as a unit none of that ended up mattering because of the resilience and superior execution they displayed. Leach's staff outcoached Helton's staff, and the Cougs were the more experienced team. And it showed. I think we should've won this game by two touchdowns, talent be damned. And yes, Phelps has proven to be a tremendous hire, and the d-line was very impressive last night.

Signature Win.
There was talk that WSU (under Leach) never had a signature win.
Well that talk is over. - Top 5 team with Heismann Candidate at QB and a school with perhaps the best tradition in college football.

Team just doesn't quit and they stay calm no matter what happens. This is a true change of culture. Not just winning - it's the way they go about it. Playing all 60 minutes and not pointing fingers.
They suffered a big play, a big intercept, several drops, and gave up a clutch 4th and 13 to Darnold but they came right back and made it count.

This team is getting better but that's another thing about CML teams. They don't peak in game 2 of a season or in the first 5 minutes of a game.

Great job to the players, the coaches and the fans who showed up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT