ADVERTISEMENT

I Wonder how close we were to getting Kalen DeBoer

spongeandshoot

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2020
If I remember right, he was like their 4th choice or something.

I wonder if we would have had a shot at him.

Probably wouldn't have made a difference though. Our roster is what it is with no NIL money.

I'm not trying to shit on DeBoer or Pete or anyone else who had success at UW, but a chimp with a clipboard should be able to get 9 wins out of those rosters every year. To not do so is career poison.

UW HC checklist:

1. Don't suck
2. See 1

I'm not trying to shit on DeBoer or Pete or anyone else who had success at UW, but a chimp with a clipboard should be able to get 9 wins out of those rosters every year. To not do so is career poison.

UW HC checklist:

1. Don't suck
2. See 1

Yeah but DeBoer is an elite offensive mind.

They will make the playoff .. unfortunately

Reactions: BiggsCoug
But once Penix is gone, they are back to being irrelevant. Although, that may change, because they'll see a spike of recruits and NIL.

But once Penix is gone, they are back to being irrelevant. Although, that may change, because they'll see a spike of recruits and NIL.
They have the resources to buy whatever qb they want, so the only obstacle in their way is finding someone.

It's not unlikely that there is a helpful uncle who is aware of the impending qb vacancy at UW and will start making acquaintances that will no doubt be ready and willing to offer a venti cup full of cash to someone should they suddenly decide to switch schools or commitments.

But hey, tampering doesn't exist, right?

They have the resources to buy whatever qb they want, so the only obstacle in their way is finding someone.

It's not unlikely that there is a helpful uncle who is aware of the impending qb vacancy at UW and will start making acquaintances that will no doubt be ready and willing to offer a venti cup full of cash to someone should they suddenly decide to switch schools or commitments.

But hey, tampering doesn't exist, right?
Yeah, but you can't hang your hat on 4 or 5 stars. Just ask DJ Uiagalelei at OSU. S/B 3-Stars. UW or anybody can make the same mistake.

Look at Brock Purdy at SF 49r's. Purdy was passed over by everyone, including Nick Saban. Went to Iowa State and broke all records, now he's a rising phenom at San Francisco, and I don't follow or watch the NFL.

Look at Fifita at Arizona. Scary how good he is. JDL is now 2nd, regardless of how fast he recovers.

I do think the UW program reaches its peak this year for the next 20 years or more. As longs as the UW recruits, and spends money like Texas A&M, I'll be OK with it. They'll find another QB in the portal, but they won't find another Penix. They now not only have to face Oregon and an LA school, throw in Michigan, OSU, and Penn State, and a lot of travel to tough places to play every year from now on. UW is kinda of like an "ex" I really don't give a damn what happens to them, other than the fact I have to listen to the crap living here in King Co. Which is annoying as hell, so I hope the success ends soon.

QB's are gonna line up to play for him.

Hopefully his stay there will be short and sweet and they hire Tyrone Willingham 2.0
QBs lined up for Peterson. None of them panned out with the exception of browning. Someone told me it’s the most poorly evaluated and coached position in sports.

I do think the UW program reaches its peak this year for the next 20 years or more. As longs as the UW recruits, and spends money like Texas A&M, I'll be OK with it. They'll find another QB in the portal, but they won't find another Penix. They now not only have to face Oregon and an LA school, throw in Michigan, OSU, and Penn State, and a lot of travel to tough places to play every year from now on. UW is kinda of like an "ex" I really don't give a damn what happens to them, other than the fact I have to listen to the crap living here in King Co. Which is annoying as hell, so I hope the success ends soon.
They will still be good but Penix is getting into top 5 pick territory. They will get knocked down a couple of pegs after he leaves.

Reactions: 425cougfan
The Tyee Club will do what needs to be done.
Sort of.

I think they will bet A LOT on a few and get into a nuclear football race.
fUsc will beat them out.

Fuw is more poised to be an Oregon than an Alabama. Then add in they are still up in the Northwest vs. being in the East.

Fuw has a pretty decent shot at losing 4 games a year even at their best

Sort of.

fUsc will beat them out.

Fuw is more poised to be an Oregon than an Alabama. Then add in they are still up in the Northwest vs. being in the East.

The B10 and the SEC are the leagues the best kids wanna play in. The uw has $. There are plenty of kids and transfers.

I dunno that some of these schools care that much about wins and losses. They care about making tens of millions. Lose 4 games and get tens of millions?

Sort of.

fUsc will beat them out.

UW is still a program that coaches upgrade from. Sark wasn’t an isolated incident. Every once in a while the stars align they have the talent and coaching and they are in the national picture. Pete had them there pretty consistently but they never really belonged with the powers at the time, and we saw that with how they got shellacked the one time they got in.

They look like a team that can play with anyone this year. Penix will graduate. They will regress to their mean. Their fans will expect they stay at this level, just as they have since ‘91 when they predictably regressed to their mean. USC or another top tier power will come calling for DeBour…maybe he stays, maybe he doesn’t, but they will be an 8-4, 9-3 team program that the Tyee and BCC grads will expect 12-0 from. It wears on a coach like it did on Pete.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
DeBoer has won everywhere he has been. Look at his career HC record. Hell, look what he did at Indiana of all places as an OC. I wouldn't bet against him.

DeBoer has won everywhere he has been. Look at his career HC record. Hell, look what he did at Indiana of all places as an OC. I wouldn't bet against him.
I'm not betting against DeBoer.

What I know is that the State of Washington and Northwest in general is getting softer and softer.

In relation to football... it's being overtaken by soft sports where kids don't get hurt and everyone gets time. Instead of learning how to be aggressive and thirsting to get bigger/stronger we have a larger amount of mask supporting distance separating pick-a-gender people raising kids.

The Pac-12 falling apart isn’t going to make more football demand/drive happen. Its just more fuel... or in this case... additional water on the fire that used to be there.

Football kids and football talent and football future isn’t here. At least not enough for Fuw to be more than Alabama-Georgia-Texas-Ohio State etc...

Fuw might be a Top 25 team, but it will be Top 25 out of a smaller group and a more protected Top 10.

If I remember right, he was like their 4th choice or something.

I wonder if we would have had a shot at him.

Probably wouldn't have made a difference though. Our roster is what it is with no NIL money.
I'm relatively sure that Dickert was the only person seriously considered. Budget constraints.

What I know is that the State of Washington and Northwest in general is getting softer and softer.

In relation to football... it's being overtaken by soft sports where kids don't get hurt and everyone gets time. Instead of learning how to be aggressive and thirsting to get bigger/stronger we have a larger amount of mask supporting distance separating pick-a-gender people raising kids.

The Pac-12 falling apart isn’t going to make more football demand/drive happen. Its just more fuel... or in this case... additional water on the fire that used to be there.

Football kids and football talent and football future isn’t here. At least not enough for Fuw to be more than Alabama-Georgia-Texas-Ohio State etc...

Fuw might be a Top 25 team, but it will be Top 25 out of a smaller group and a more protected Top 10.
Then you don't know shit.

UWs biggest problem is the Pacific NW. Rains a lot, all of the recruiting has to be done remotely, you travel significantly more than your counterparts. UW has money and generational football success. They'll always be able to pull together occasional years like this one, but their valleys will be low. When they make a mediocre coaching hire, it'll hit them hard. Sound familiar?

UWs biggest problem is the Pacific NW. Rains a lot, all of the recruiting has to be done remotely, you travel significantly more than your counterparts. UW has money and generational football success. They'll always be able to pull together occasional years like this one, but their valleys will be low. When they make a mediocre coaching hire, it'll hit them hard. Sound familiar?
uw's ceiling is third place in the B1G. Not sure if there will be division with the new additions, but the ceiling could end up being third in their division.

But at least they got that half share!

The uw will throw $$$ at talent. Doesnt matter how big or small football is here. They will go abroad. Can they keep up with other schools? Dunno.

uw's ceiling is third place in the B1G. Not sure if there will be division with the new additions, but the ceiling could end up being third in their division.

The "half share" thing, while accurate at first, can be misleading. They get $1m more each year until 2030/31 and, subject to my lack of certainty as to whether this is actually an enforceable commitment or is an assumption/soft commitment, are set to get a full share in the next TV deal in that 2030/31 timeframe. Who knows what the landscape will look like at that time, but whatever it is, I doubt UW is going to be all that poorly positioned.

UW is still a program that coaches upgrade from. Sark wasn’t an isolated incident. Every once in a while the stars align they have the talent and coaching and they are in the national picture. Pete had them there pretty consistently but they never really belonged with the powers at the time, and we saw that with how they got shellacked the one time they got in.

They look like a team that can play with anyone this year. Penix will graduate. They will regress to their mean. Their fans will expect they stay at this level, just as they have since ‘91 when they predictably regressed to their mean. USC or another top tier power will come calling for DeBour…maybe he stays, maybe he doesn’t, but they will be an 8-4, 9-3 team program that the Tyee and BCC grads will expect 12-0 from. It wears on a coach like it did on Pete.

Yeah it's gonna be tough to replicate this. I think this team is better than anything Pete had.

Penix is once in a decade or more talent. Haven't seen a more accurate QB in the conference since Rodgers

The "half share" thing, while accurate at first, can be misleading. They get $1m more each year until 2030/31 and, subject to my lack of certainty as to whether this is actually an enforceable commitment or is an assumption/soft commitment, are set to get a full share in the next TV deal in that 2030/31 timeframe. Who knows what the landscape will look like at that time, but whatever it is, I doubt UW is going to be all that poorly positioned.

The assumptions include: (1) TV revenue will continue to escalate; (2) uw will continue to be part of the B1G; and (3) the B1G will continue to exist in a manner that makes (1) possible. Could be others too. Given that we've seen the Pac-12 disintegrate, I don't think it's out of the question for the blue bloods in the B1G and SEC to form one 16-20 member super duper conference prior to the next TV deal.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
The assumptions include: (1) TV revenue will continue to escalate; (2) uw will continue to be part of the B1G; and (3) the B1G will continue to exist in a manner that makes (1) possible. Could be others too. Given that we've seen the Pac-12 disintegrate, I don't think it's out of the question for the blue bloods in the B1G and SEC to form one 16-20 member super duper conference prior to the next TV deal.

I could see that happening in a way to trim the fat.

I think the 80/20 rule will apply here. 80% of the profits coming from 20% of the schools.

I haven't crunched the numbers or anything...but this whole thing just doesn't pass the eyeball test in terms of profits and sustainability.

At the end of the day, pissing off your customers is just bad business in the long run.

Maybe Western Washington.

N. Idaho is as tough as its ever been. The Calis who can't cut it leave.

Typically yes, but I'm not seeing a team in the B!G this year that can roll UW. Michigan and Ohio State have flaws too, and they haven't faced a QB/WR group combo like UWs.

Typically yes, but I'm not seeing a team in the B!G this year that can roll UW. Michigan and Ohio State have flaws too, and they haven't faced a QB/WR group combo like UWs.
Don't know what OSU's QB situation is, but their DB's get to face the #1 and #4 rated WR's in practice. Odunze is rated #6 on the Big Board for Tankathon. That should help them get ready for the likes of the uw.

I think the 80/20 rule will apply here. 80% of the profits coming from 20% of the schools.

I haven't crunched the numbers or anything...but this whole thing just doesn't pass the eyeball test in terms of profits and sustainability.

At the end of the day, pissing off your customers is just bad business in the long run.
I think this hints at the next evolution.

I don't really think that there's going to be a huge superconference. At least, not of the top schools. I think the networks are going to see that most of the money comes from 20%, so they're going to invest in those schools. The top 25 money programs will conglomerate for media rights - not for scheduling - and make their own deals. They'll have varying scheduling alignments with lesser schools, but media rights will be separate. The current conference alignments will lose their relevance for media money.

This will actually lead almost full circle, and we'll arrive back at a point similar to where we were in the 80s. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, and the rest of the big money programs will be on TV every week. Everyone else...maybe not.

Three ways your slice of the pie bigger: (1) make a bigger pie; (2) cut the pie into fewer slices; and (3) do both (1) and (2). Schools are hooked on the TV revenue.

I guess a fourth assumption is that the B1G will continue to share revenue equally. That won't last forever.

Three ways your slice of the pie bigger: (1) make a bigger pie; (2) cut the pie into fewer slices; and (3) do both (1) and (2). Schools are hooked on the TV revenue.

I guess a fourth assumption is that the B1G will continue to share revenue equally. That won't last forever.
Yeah...Ohio State and Michigan can get more money separately than they can when they're tied to Illinois and Indiana. As soon as the schools and the networks can figure out how to manage it, they'll both be more than willing to work directly with each other. When that happens, conferences will become little more than scheduling alignments.

Agree with all of that. I will say that from UW's perspective, once Colorado bailed (but arguably even before; I could see the argument that when it was only UCLA and USC out the door, UW would have been best-positioned trying to save the 10-team Pac, getting the conference to invite SDSU and someone else, and being among the big dogs in the conference), it is hard to see a move more likely to help it maintain relevance than moving to the B1G, no matter the share. Good chance they would get left behind in a superconference scenario but it isn't certain. Recruits are going to want to play in the SEC and B1G. Over time, the incremental money for most of those conferences' members is going to let them further separate.

Other than the lack of a great natural recruiting territory--which a lot of the Big Ten schools also have, by the way--they are pretty well-positioned nationally, being in a major market and on the coast, with better access to California than most other B1G schools and, I would expect, with more of a pipeline into California than, say, Michigan State, Wisconsin, etc. have into Texas or Florida.

This is exactly what will happen, the SEC and the Big 10 will have their "own League" a few more teams get added to the SEC, and some get kickout of both leagues. It's what the networks want, but like a bad TV show that gets cancelled, in the end it's what the consumer wants. Is the average American football fan going to watch two conferences battle it out each year? They are trying to spread the two leagues around to cover most of the country, I know I won't watch and won't care, but out west, most people in Seattle probably will, and LA and Portland. It's a calculated gamble on the networks part, time will tell if it works.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT