ADVERTISEMENT

If Coach Rolovich is canned my Top 5 replacements!

Coach Nick Rolovich has two OL recruits coming in the 2022 Class' He's doing a decent job picking up lineman but he has too recruit better talent. No excuses why we are not getting Top 30 classes with the winning culture Coach Leach established! Go Cougs!

Yes. And it also takes away from the OL. So if you had to choose between having a consistently good OL but 0 TEs or having bad to average OL but TEs, which are you choosing?

I would think you would take from the receivers. if you have a te, you have 3 receivers out there, no?

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Jeff Banks should get a look.
Now, that is an interesting name. One of the best recruiters in football. If he could hire a great staff (especially coordinators), I think it would be a good hire. He would be like Ed Orgeron. Outstanding recruiter. He had the ultimate success at LSU because he had better coordinators than what he had at USC and Ole Miss. Win or lose, you are left with great players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug90
I think that a coach on the rise will need some ties to the west coast and/or PAC12 to be successful. Leach was a pretty famous name and maybe could get through doors that other couldn't. The Price/Erikson mold that knew every coach (and their brother) in the PNW and California is probably the fastest way to get back on track.

Reactions: Coug4life34
Well, how much of your pool of potential replacements is going to be fond of vax mandates and tweetstorms over vax mandates when you're already bottom-tier in resources and fundraising? Just for example, Graham Harrell. He's not a public employee, so he's not subject to any vax mandate. He ought to be a person worthy of interest. I don't know what his politics are, but the fact that question even exists seems bad to me.
If you’re not smart enough to take one in the arm for the betterment of your health AND. + $2 mill a year then you aren’t smart enough to be my head coach…next. I don’t think this will be a problem going forward despite the numb nuts who’s currently occupying the position.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I think that a coach on the rise will need some ties to the west coast and/or PAC12 to be successful. Leach was a pretty famous name and maybe could get through doors that other couldn't. The Price/Erikson mold that knew every coach (and their brother) in the PNW and California is probably the fastest way to get back on track.
Erickson didn't do much recruiting in his two years here. But did land 2 good QBs

But installed within a few weeks (not yrs) an offense that stayed in place for 21 years.

Erickson is available.

Now, that is an interesting name. One of the best recruiters in football. If he could hire a great staff (especially coordinators), I think it would be a good hire. He would be like Ed Orgeron. Outstanding recruiter. He had the ultimate success at LSU because he had better coordinators than what he had at USC and Ole Miss. Either way, you are left with great players.
Jeff banks banks would be a wild card but is a helluva good recruiter and a west coast guy. He will never get an SEC gig without HC at another P5. If I’m Chun I’d have him on a short list.

I'm doubtful the 11 other Pac-12 coaches are potential hires. And by "skip media day" you mean attend remotely.
Yes, by skip I meant attend remotely. Did you not understand what I meant?

And my point is simply that I don’t think a vax mandate would be that great a hurdle.

Last edited:
No one likes to see a coach get fired especially only under two years but Coach Rolovich refuses to follow the vaccine manadates and needs to look at himself in the mirror if he is the right leader to lead this the Cougar program into the future and beyond. After, showing promise under former Coach Mike Leach the program has fallen backwards into mediocrity like the Wulff and Doba years. It is a leadership problem. Mike Leach, Mike Price and others showed you can win in the Palouse with the right leadership, system, and mindset. So, who can replace coach Rolovich if he is not the man for the job. Here are my five Top 5 replacements!

1. Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina HC- He is an up and comer and has won in a tough spot in the South but might wait for a SEC job to open up. Since rebuilding the program early he went 11-1 last year, and is 3-0 this year. He runs a good system, and would be a good fit in Pullman. Overall record: 82-52

2. Jim McElwain, Central Michigan HC- Former Nick Saban offensive coordinator, and Colorado state and Florida coach. He has had an up and down tenure but is a good offensive mind and has won everywhere but not did win enough to stay in Gainesville. He has been a better coach at the mid-major level, and his system would work at WSU. Overall record: 55-36

3. Alex Grinch, Oklahoma DC- Former Washington State DC and current Oklahoma DC was excellent in the Palouse and could thrive as a head coach with the right Assistants.

4. Ryan Silverfield, Memphis Head Coach- Riskiest coach on the list because he hasn't been a coach for long and former Memphis coaches Mike Norvell and Justin Fuente have been terrible at their schools but you judge can't Silverfield by them, and could be be an excellent fit and might be a better coach than those two. Went 8-3 last, and beat Mike Leach this year. Overall record: 11-4

5. Bill Clark, UAB Head coach- Has coached mainly in the South and is probably waiting for a SEC job but has thrived at UAB in a tough place to coach. Went 11-3 in 2018 at UAB which is tough to do. Overall record:53-27

Others candidates:

Deion Sanders, Jackson State HC (Probably waiting for the USC or Florida State jobs top open up)-So far has has done good job at Jackson State, and would bring in better talent to Pullman than coach Rolovich has done. Wouldn't mind coach prime in Pullman at least for a short time!

Hugh Freeze, Liberty HC- Best coach on the list but comes with baggage. Definitely a better coach than Coach Rolovich and would win as well as Mike Leach did here!

Bill O'Brien, Alabama OC- Probably waiting a better job like the USC job but he is an excellent coach like proved with the Texans and at Penn. State. Wouldn't mind O'Brien at all. Excellent coach!
Frankly, I don’t like any of the names on your list. McElwain and Grinch are the best 2. But Mc hasn’t been very consistent and has issues. Grinch has no HC experience, no offense, and his D has proved to have some glaring weaknesses. Plus his wife already made him leave Pullman once.

Some will thing I’m nuts, but top of my list is Chris Peterson. Proven success, west coast familiarity. He left coaching largely because of the fishbowl and the media attention, which is a much smaller issue in Pullman. I call him and make him say no a couple times before I even make a list.

After Peterson turns it down, I talk to Kalani Sitake and Matt Entz. Tyson Helton is also on the radar, but I’m not sure I’d make that call yet.

Reactions: SDCoug
Why in the world would Kelani Sitake leave BYU for us? He wouldn’t even take the call.
I don’t think he would. But I make the call. Another guy I don’t expect would leave, but may be worth the conversation is Troy Calhoun at Air Force.

You can ask a lot of hot chicks to the dance, doesn't mean any of them will go with you.

Leach is the only known name that WSU has ever hired, it is because of alleged baggage which he he didn't have, WSU took a chance, plus Leach was unique in that a place like Pullman appealed to him. Almost every other coach that has ever been hired was promoted from within or was an up and coming coach at in a non power 5 conference or an assistant from a big school. Splash hires is not the norm, nor within the budget or mind set at WSU, and thus the mediocre life time record.
There wasn't a whole lot of expectation from the job outside of perhaps the last 20 years, and even at that there was a four year stint in which half of the fan base was still content to live in the basement as the loveable losers. Hell, they're probably still there for all we know, and the giving would indicate as much.

If we hire a known coach it'll have to come with at least a $5MM price tag.

Some will thing I’m nuts, but top of my list is Chris Peterson. Proven success, west coast familiarity. He left coaching largely because of the fishbowl and the media attention, which is a much smaller issue in Pullman. I call him and make him say no a couple times before I even make a list.
My inner fantasy is that Peterson comes here and in his introductory presser he says:

“Look, I left udump because the place sucks. I hated my time there. I hated living in the city. They are a bunch of entitled assholes over there. Pullman fits with me perfectly and we’ll do great things here. Including going undefeated against the mutts in every year that I’m coaching the Cougs.”

There wasn't a whole lot of expectation from the job outside of perhaps the last 20 years, and even at that there was a four year stint in which half of the fan base was still content to live in the basement as the loveable losers. Hell, they're probably still there for all we know, and the giving would indicate as much.

If we hire a known coach it'll have to come with at least a $5MM price tag.

It is well known that I coached my kid's soccer team circa age 6 and 7.

I'll do it for $2.5 Million.

My inner fantasy is that Peterson comes here and in his introductory presser he says:

“Look, I left udump because the place sucks. I hated my time there. I hated living in the city. They are a bunch of entitled assholes over there. Pullman fits with me perfectly and we’ll do great things here. Including going undefeated against the mutts in every year that I’m coaching the Cougs.”

And then takes off his shirt to show a Cougar head logo tattooed across his back as penance for his time at uw.

Reactions: SDCoug
Wjy?

We have a smorgasbord of receivers every yr it seems.

Would rather cut receivers than lineman

I have no idea why coaches will sign receivers over and over again… to the point of unbalancing their allocation of scholarships per side of the ball… its dumb.

There is no shortage of WRs. The next dumbest thing is redshirting them.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
People are welcome to disagree…. I would rather see the $ invested into the TE position be pushed into the OL. It takes more bodies on the OL at WSU to make the group thrive. If you need a TE, use a 6th tackle or a DE.

My preference is a passing offense. But if someone shows up and can put out a well coached scheme that’s cool.

Your preference is a passing offense, yet you constantly bitched about not running the ball when we had one of the best passing offenses in school history.

Well, how much of your pool of potential replacements is going to be fond of vax mandates and tweetstorms over vax mandates when you're already bottom-tier in resources and fundraising? Just for example, Graham Harrell. He's not a public employee, so he's not subject to any vax mandate. He ought to be a person worthy of interest. I don't know what his politics are, but the fact that question even exists seems bad to me.
My guess is for 3 million that wont be an issue among any new candidates

I told my friend when he left UW and before Leach left that I would not be surprised if he becomes Leach's replacement.

Seems to me he likes a smaller school environnment...but its not like I've ever had beers with the guy so I could be reading that wrong

Frankly, I don’t like any of the names on your list. McElwain and Grinch are the best 2. But Mc hasn’t been very consistent and has issues. Grinch has no HC experience, no offense, and his D has proved to have some glaring weaknesses. Plus his wife already made him leave Pullman once.

After Peterson turns it down, I talk to Kalani Sitake and Matt Entz. Tyson Helton is also on the radar, but I’m not sure I’d make that call yet.

I'm sorry, but Chris Peterson? 😂 Chris Peterson is not taking the WSU job. There's no way.

My guess is for 3 million that wont be an issue among any new candidates
I never cease to be amazed by the trend among some of our fans, which started when Leach first got $2m, of saying "for X we should expect [things that are unreasonable or don't make sense]" where X is a market wage.

Yes, a coach being paid $3m will do a lot of things, like comply with a vaccine mandate, to keep that job. But Harrell could get multiple places to pay him a market wage to be a head coach, and while there's no particular reason other than assumptions based on his background to think he might not be a big fan of vaccination mandates, the mere fact that the job pays a market wage doesn't mean that other aspects of the decisionmaking process go out the window. That's nonsensical. I think it's much more likely, although perhaps not the most likely eventuality, that he's the first head coach Houston has as a P5 school than it is he ever sets foot on the home sideline in Pullman for any reason.

The only person from Red State SEC/Big 12 country that has a chance of being hired to coach at WSU is the chick who kicked for Vandy as a special teams coach.
Piggybacking on Fab5Coug's comment, he's also from California originally.

If you’re not smart enough to take one in the arm for the betterment of your health AND. + $2 mill a year then you aren’t smart enough to be my head coach…next. I don’t think this will be a problem going forward despite the numb nuts who’s currently occupying the position.

Things are different outside the I-5 corridor, and the state of Washington.

I never cease to be amazed by the trend among some of our fans, which started when Leach first got $2m, of saying "for X we should expect [things that are unreasonable or don't make sense]" where X is a market wage.

Yes, a coach being paid $3m will do a lot of things, like comply with a vaccine mandate, to keep that job.
Wulff never would've been harassed over the Vax.

Brand X, Brand Y, the columnists and talk shows were able to successfully spin 69-0 as necessary to protect JT Levenseller's redshirt and also as part of the change management process.

Reactions: etowncoug

Brand X, Brand Y, the columnists and talk shows were able to successfully spin 69-0 as necessary to protect JT Levenseller's redshirt and also as part of the change management process.
I don't know. The Covid religion is pretty powerful with the Wulff defenders. It would be an unstoppable force meets the immovable object moment if Wulff had endured this controversy.

I don't know. The Covid religion is pretty powerful with the Wulff defenders. It would be an unstoppable force meets the immovable object moment if Wulff had endured this controversy.
Easy peasy, pick two of the excuses below.

1. "It is CPW's personal business and the real super spreaders are in the student section not wearing their masks"
2. "He had a tragic upbringing"
3. "You can't fire CPW over this and put several alum coaches out of work as well. They have families"
4. "Why hold CPW responsible for Doba and his staff not caring about the virus?"
5. "Shut up and tailgate. Did CPW infect your girlfriend?"
6. Walden would follow up with a story on one of his radio shows about a sorority giving STDs to half the D-Line during the week of the Apple Cup.

Easy peasy, pick two of the excuses below.

1. "It is CPW's personal business and the real super spreaders are in the student section not wearing their masks"
2. "He had a tragic upbringing"
3. "You can't fire CPW over this and put several alum coaches out of work as well. They have families"
4. "Why hold CPW responsible for Doba and his staff not caring about the virus?"
5. "Shut up and tailgate. Did CPW infect your girlfriend?"
6. Walden would follow up with a story on one of his radio shows about a sorority giving STDs to half the D-Line during the week of the Apple Cup.
You forgot "You're not an epidemiologist, so you have no right to speak on this matter."

Were you cryogenically frozen during 2009 or something? That is all you ever talk about.

Were you cryogenically frozen during 2009 or something? That is all you ever talk about.
Don't you think it odd there was never a column or editorial calling for him to be fired?

Only one of the last 5 coaches to never face pressure from the media.

The guy leading the charge at Brand Y wrote a 4 part love letter to him and concluded WSU couldn't afford to fire him.

Now, "it doesn't matter what it costs, fire Rolo"

Get a woke alum staff, run the ball, tweet about microbrews, dogs and macaroni recipes and let WSU football begin its inevitable decline into Vandaldom.

The Wulff era was the sneak preview

Reactions: spongeandshoot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT