ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring a former WSU football coach back to coach ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
the Cougars as an assistant, who would it be? Start with our two defensive coach openings but answer in general as well.

Interesting topic.

There are some influential posters at Brand X pushing for Rob Akey to run the defense, so you've got to think he's getting a least a solid look-see from CML. Akey has FBS head coaching experience, too, so he could also fill the associate head coach role as the No. 2 guy on the staff.

I'm still partial to an alum for the "10th assistant" position. Opinion here seems mixed on Jason Gesser and Steve Broussard, so how about CML considers an experienced legend like Timm Rosenbach or Mike Levenseller?

Interesting topic.

There are some influential posters at Brand X pushing for Rob Akey to run the defense, so you've got to think he's getting a least a solid look-see from CML. Akey has FBS head coaching experience, too, so he could also fill the associate head coach role as the No. 2 guy on the staff.

I'm still partial to an alum for the "10th assistant" position. Opinion here seems mixed on Jason Gesser and Steve Broussard, so how about CML considers an experienced legend like Timm Rosenbach or Mike Levenseller?

They’re not influential.

... so how about CML considers an experienced legend like Timm Rosenbach or Mike Levenseller?
Levenseller did some great things as a coach at WSU. Rosey... not so much.

FYI, Rosenbach is OC at Montana right now. Just a few blocks from where he spent his freshman year of high school.

Bill Doba, he made Akey look good, without Doba Akey is nothing, Mike Zimmerman would be my first choice

They’re not influential.

I think one of the guys pushing hardest for Coach Akey to run the defense has been an occasional guest columnist for Brand X.

So maybe his opinions generate a lot of clicks with that site's readership?

I think one of the guys pushing hardest for Coach Akey to run the defense has been an occasional guest columnist for Brand X.

Still not influential.

Doba and Zimmer on defense.

Tiller and Price on offense. Price could speak secret LDS language to Leach and tell him to run the ball occasionally.

Not the draw on third and long though.

If we're talking fantasy coaching league, where age isn't a factor, I'd take Doba as DC.

For the 10th coach, I'd also throw in Jason McEndoo for consideration. He's at Oklahoma State now.

If we're talking fantasy coaching league, where age isn't a factor, I'd take Doba as DC.

For the 10th coach, I'd also throw in Jason McEndoo for consideration. He's at Oklahoma State now.
Good call, but at OSU....they scored 34 rushing TD's to WSU's 8. Might be a conflict of interest hiring Jason.

Reactions: earldacoug
I'm gonna be a contrarian and say Aaron Price. Our kicking game was the most consistent part of our program when Uncle Mikey was here and I give him some of the credit for that. It's also been our biggest problem outside of Erik Powell

I think Jasen Gessar at this juncture. Could ensure top 10 defense for years to come. Or else Todd Sturdy, offense was nearly unstoppable under him.

I've been over there for years and think you're simply incorrect on this. From what I've seen, a couple of posters who, frankly, are known primarily for immature hot takes and aren't respected have come out in favor of Akey coming back. This has been outweighed heavily by what I'd estimate as about 15-20 posters who have been against Akey coming back and a small number who have suggested that there's some hope he learned something in the NFL and might not be horrible in a non-coordinator role if there weren't better choices out there (but certainly haven't "pushed" for him).

I don't understand the desire to bring back old coaches. Big Joe is as far back as I care to go. Staying inside the "family" for hires is such a bad idea when you have a history such as ours. Even the good coaches had more mediocre or bad than good when they were here. Our good runs were driven by good players in my opinion, not great coaches. I'd be open to old coaches that were proven great recruiters and still in the game, but other wise I say forge ahead with creating the new and improved WSU "family"

Reactions: earldacoug
Fantasyland? Zimmer. James Franklin wouldn't be terrible either.

Realisticland? Levy. Regardless of staff, the WR crew was ready to play (majority of the time) with him at the helm. Our current WR need some toughness, need to block way better, and actually high point the ball. WR coaching is certainly an area I think upgrades are needed and need to see within the next year. Revolving door excuse isn't working for me on this one.

Fantasyland? Zimmer. James Franklin wouldn't be terrible either.

Realisticland? Levy. Regardless of staff, the WR crew was ready to play (majority of the time) with him at the helm. Our current WR need some toughness, need to block way better, and actually high point the ball. WR coaching is certainly an area I think upgrades are needed and need to see within the next year. Revolving door excuse isn't working for me on this one.

Strongly agree. Levy's not going to blow anyone's doors off on the recruiting trail (though he had a decent Tacoma pipeline going) but his receivers were far, far tougher and more technically proficient than the past few seasons.

One would think with Leach's predisposition for precision and execution, he'd be on board with Levy's philosophy and coaching ability.

Strongly agree. Levy's not going to blow anyone's doors off on the recruiting trail (though he had a decent Tacoma pipeline going) but his receivers were far, far tougher and more technically proficient than the past few seasons.

One would think with Leach's predisposition for precision and execution, he'd be on board with Levy's philosophy and coaching ability.

Twenty-five plus years ago Levy pulled some guys out of Tacoma. He was almost as bad as Akey on the recruiting trail.

We already have one WR coach with lesser recruiting responsibilities, we don’t need another.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Twenty-five plus years ago Levy pulled some guys out of Tacoma. He was almost as bad as Akey on the recruiting trail.

We already have one WR coach with lesser recruiting responsibilities, we don’t need another.

If they recruit guys who can't catch or block, does it really matter?

Huh? I do not agree. Gabe Marks and River Cracraft were as precise and executed as well as any receivers to ever put on the Crimson and Gray. Same goes for Williams, Lewis, etc.

There were problems this year, but that was due to most of the receiver corps being freshman and sophomores.

Who you talking about? Derek Sage or Dave Nichol?

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Huh? I do not agree. Gabe Marks and River Cracraft were as precise and executed as well as any receivers to ever put on the Crimson and Gray. Same goes for Williams, Lewis, etc.

There were problems this year, but that was due to most of the receiver corps being freshman and sophomores.

We'll agree to disagree. The current receivers are soft and way too many drops.

We'll agree to disagree. The current receivers are soft and way too many drops.
Are you saying that Marks, Cracraft, Williams, Lewis, Bartelone, etc., were soft? Yeah, we will disagree.

You want to know when the receivers were inconsistent? During the Wulff years when the WR coach was Levenseller. There were also many years during the Price era when the offense, QB, OL and WR's were inconsistent. Then, as seniors, they would put it all together for the one bowl year and then they would be awful again for 2-3 years. You are remembering the good times and forgetting the bad times.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Is your definition of 'current' different than the rest of the English speaking world?

And when are the Wulff years going to go away?

That's Godwin's Law logic to use that as the fallback position constantly. Almost as useful as Mike Price's 3rd down draws.

Last edited:
As the thread has morphed, the topics have changed.

First, who to bring back that is currently in the game? The only name I can come up with that is credible is Gesser. If he and Leach actually like each other, I could see Gesser working out in a number of capacities...and he could probably coach just about any non-line position.

Fantasyland bring back? My nomination would probably be Walden, who did an outstanding job as an assistant and a very good job as a HC. The issues he had as an aging commentator should not fog our memories of what he did from about '76 thru '85. If we could bring him back today as he was the year before he became our HC, I'd snap him up. He recruited, he game planned & coached and he managed. That is a trifecta for a football staff person.

As for our receivers, I don't see them as soft. Far from it; you don't run IR routes in the Air Raid if you are soft. Now, inconsistent? And undisciplined? Yes, some of each. And the staff has not probably done as well as Levy did during his most productive 15-20 years of coaching to improve consistency and discipline. It is easy to confuse those things with toughness. I think our WR's are pretty much as tough as they need to be, but they have not recently gotten the necessary technical skills/fundamentals development. Focus is a learned talent for most, rather than something genetic. You gotta catch the ball first. If you get two hands on the ball, you should catch it, unless the defender manages to get part of his body there along with your two hands.

Is your definition of 'current' different than the rest of the English speaking world?

Again, you are cherry picking in my opinion. Current means you were talking mostly about WR's that were in their first or second year in the program. Yeah, young players are not as developed physically or their understanding of the offense and of the opposing defense.

And when are the Wulff years going to go away?

That's Godwin's Law logic to use that as the fallback position constantly. Almost as useful as Mike Price's 3rd down draws.

Seriously, you pine for the old days and want Levenseller back? Then you complain about the mention of a previous coach? Talk about.....

I think Jasen Gessar at this juncture. Could ensure top 10 defense for years to come. Or else Todd Sturdy, offense was nearly unstoppable under him.

I'm still trying to figure out whether you are just being a smart-a$$ or are just an idiot. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT