ADVERTISEMENT

In her 8th season, has ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
June D had enough time to turn the program around? Or was the hole left by her predecessors - much like the hole Wulff left for Leach - too much to overcome?

I think she is a good recruiter, but can't game coach. Her system seems to be jack up the 3 ball and play poor defense.

I don't think she'd ever finish in the top half of the conference, no matter how long we give her.

PS Are you suggesting that Leach will never be able to overcome the Wulff disaster?

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:
I think she is a good recruiter, but can't game coach. Her system seems to be jack up the 3 ball and play poor defense.

I don't think she'd ever finish in the top half of the conference, no matter how long we give her.

PS Are you suggesting that Leach will never be able to overcome the Wulff disaster?
June is still probably the 2nd best women's coach in WSU history. I wish she would hire someone to help with the basketball coaching.

Yes, and no. 8 years is more than enough. Basketball isn't football, two or three quality recruits and bingo, you are winning again. That said, June isn't going anywhere. Bill Moos is our AD. She's cheap and not incompetent, everything Bill wants from a non-revenue sport coach.

Originally posted by Cougsocal:
Yes, and no. 8 years is more than enough. Basketball isn't football, two or three quality recruits and bingo, you are winning again. That said, June isn't going anywhere. Bill Moos is our AD. She's cheap and not incompetent, everything Bill wants from a non-revenue sport coach.
Women's basketball is not an embarrassemt anymore. Yes, I would love to see women's basketball do better, but from what the program was when she took over to where she has it now is like night and day.

I have never seen a June Daugherty team play cohesively, together, for long stretches. Far too much one-on-one dribbling, 1 or no pass shooting, and driving to the basket without regard for who is in your way. That will never be championship basketball no matter how damn talented you are.

Originally posted by bogusto:
I have never seen a June Daugherty team play cohesively, together, for long stretches. Far too much one-on-one dribbling, 1 or no pass shooting, and driving to the basket without regard for who is in your way. That will never be championship basketball no matter how damn talented you are.
It's kind of amazing to me how coaches don't learn after years of doing the same thing over and over that their problems can be fixed by changing their coaching. There are all kinds of clinics, books, etc. that can help too.

She is a very good recruiter. However having her husband as her bench coach is what keeps the talent from developing cohesively. If Moos would insist on making him the director of basketball operations that would work wonders, She could then hire a good basketball coach to team fundamentals and develop a cohesive strategy both on the offensive and defensive end of the court. The talent recruited goes to waste now.

This post was edited on 2/15 5:39 PM by ElComanche

I never thought I would say this, but I'm in complete agreement with ElComanche

Goes to show you then..the man in charge of the defense is Brian Holsinger the associate Head Coach and also the lead recruiter for the Coug's.

They play hard but a lot of reaching and taking risks. Galdiera can get away with doing that to an extent but she won't be around after next year.

I am with ElC on this one as well. There was a stretch last year where they really seemed to work for shots in the flow of the offense and weren't just going 1-on-5. I hoped they had turned a corner but it's since that short stretch it's rarely returned.

Originally posted by Coug1990:
Women's basketball is not an embarrassemt anymore. Yes, I would love to see women's basketball do better, but from what the program was when she took over to where she has it now is like night and day.
Exactly, she is in no risk of being fired, because she isn't an embarrassment, the Moos firing standard for non-revenue sports. After Harold and before June we were utterly embarrassing. However, she isn't as good as Harold, and once a upon a time he got canned because he wasn't good enough.

I glad I just was in school in 1983-84. 7-4 in football, Apple Cup win in Seattle to keep the UW out of the Rose Bowl, NCAAs in basketball, Pac-10 North Champs in baseball, Pac-12 Champs and NCAA runner up in Track. It has been down hill ever since since.

Originally posted by Coug1990:
Exactly, she is in no risk of being fired, because she isn't an embarrassment, the Moos firing standard for non-revenue sports. After Harold and before June we were utterly embarrassing. However, she isn't as good as Harold, and once a upon a time he got canned because he wasn't good enough.

I glad I just was in school in 1983-84. 7-4 in football, Apple Cup win in Seattle to keep the UW out of the Rose Bowl, NCAAs in basketball, Pac-10 North Champs in baseball, Pac-12 Champs and NCAA runner up in Track. It has been down hill ever since since.
Did you know that Rhodes only had four winning season in 17 years as head coach? I don't know if he was better or not. It is a different era now. I think with the explosion of women's sports, that the competition is so much more than it was when he was coaching.

Women's basketball was awful under Jenny Przekwas, both on and off the court. Sherri Murrell just could not turn the program around and it stayed in the dumps despite the off court being a lot better.

June D. has upgraded the talent level so much. Her players play very hard for her. It is a shame that the basketball coaching is so poor.

Still, I cannot see June being let go anytime soon, nor should she be let go.

If they don't make the Tournament this year I feel they didn't perform up to the talent on the roster. Up 16 against #7 a couple of times only to lose. Losing to Oregon at home. They still could win out regular season and get a win or 2 and sneak into the Tournament but they have kicked a lot of games away this year. You can't win them all but how about 1 or 2?

Granted 1990, Rhodes had only 76 Pac-10 wins and 4 winning season in 13 Pac-10 seasons, which isn't good, until you look at WSU since. June has no winning seasons and only 40 Pac-10 wins in 8 years, and she is one of our best coaches on staff.

Do you honestly think that the Bennetts, who also took over an awful program, should have been given 8 years? Also, the explosion in women's sports happened in the early 1980's with Title IX, 30 years ago. As for players and competition being better, what do you base that on? We are in the internet generation now, fewer kids play sports. It is all we had. The average kid is fatter and slower than ever before. Consistent therewith, average performance in HS track has actually declined over the last 20 year for both boys and girls.

My rub is with Moos, not June. He has put all of our eggs in the football basket. He could have hired Li Li to return reverse track's fortunes. He went cheap. He lost and could have rehired Potter back in soccer, he went cheap. In basketball, he wouldn't commit to the program long term, so he had difficult attracting interest. If he wants to turn women's BB around all he has to do is make Rueck an offer he can't refuse. (He took over from Wagner, OSU's Coach P, and look at them now, 5 years on). Instead, he has thrown money hand over fist at football, at the expense of basketball and all non-revenue sports. If Leach flames out, Moos will have mortgaged our future, and have zip to show for it, other than a pile of debt an a monument to utter desperation, the FOB.

June should have been gone long ago. She can't win with good talent, which she has now. She has to have superior talent where coaching becomes less important.

Granted 1990, Rhodes had only 76 Pac-10 wins and 4 winning season in 13 Pac-10 seasons, which isn't good, until you look at WSU since. June has no winning seasons and only 40 Pac-10 wins in 8 years, and she is one of our best coaches on staff.

Do you honestly think that the Bennetts, who also took over an awful program, should have been given 8 years? Also, the explosion in women's sports happened in the early 1980's with Title IX, 30 years ago. As for players and competition being better, what do you base that on? We are in the internet generation now, fewer kids play sports. It is all we had. The average kid is fatter and slower than ever before. Consistent therewith, average performance in HS track has actually declined over the last 20 year for both boys and girls.

My rub is with Moos, not June. He has put all of our eggs in the football basket. He could have hired Li Li to return reverse track's fortunes. He went cheap. He lost and could have rehired Potter back in soccer, he went cheap. In basketball, he wouldn't commit to the program long term, so he had difficult attracting interest. If he wants to turn women's BB around all he has to do is make Rueck an offer he can't refuse. (He took over from Wagner, OSU's Coach P, and look at them now, 5 years on). Instead, he has thrown money hand over fist at football, at the expense of basketball and all non-revenue sports. If Leach flames out, Moos will have mortgaged our future, and have zip to show for it, other than a pile of debt an a monument to utter desperation, the FOB.
While I'm not yet in full-on meltdown mode, it's hard to argue what appears to be unfolding right before our eyes. Other than grades and women's soccer, there's not too much joy in Pullberg. For all those "Trust in Moos' acolytes - remember the old adage in dealing with the Soviets - trust but verify.

Fool me once with inflated expecations in football, shame on you....fool me twice, well, that's not even up for discussion any more. Must win at the latest in 2016. Or else the dumpster fire is going to blaze so hot, EFlo will have little recourse than to write bye-bye checks to both Bill and Mike. I can't see it playing out for 3 or 4 more years at current pace.

I think Ernie was a solid hire - but given what the rest of the conference is doing facility-wise, he's going to have a tough row to hoe. Fortunately, it sounds like EFlo is getting on board with doing something to Beasley - and that may because he's seen enough of the 'football raises all boats' mentality and is couching his bets.

Yes, women's basketball is better. When you have several women that can dunk the ball now. When you have several women that can dribble like pro men. When the game has taken off even more overseas.

To tell you the truth, neither Rhodes, nor Daugherty have been good. So, not sure why you are arguing this point with me.

You also bring up that Moos could have brought back James Li and Matt Potter. Where are you getting your information?

First, his real name is Li Li. He didn't come to WSU because of $$$, see below.

Second, women have been able to dunk for years, have you heard of Cheryl Miller, at 6' 2," They don't dunk often because it is a low percentage shot for women. Where is there any proof that athletes are better today? In the past there were trends of improved athletic performance over time, it ended 20 years ago. The women's high jump record was set 28 years ago. long jump 27 years ago. Men's long Jump was set in 1991, high jump in 1993.

Third, Moos didn't go after Potter. The point is, if Moos he wanted athletic success, he would have stated by trying to woo Potter back, or similar acts to show he is interested in changing the losing culture.

1990, you do realize that we continually have one of, if not the worst, athletic programs among major conference schools, based on the Presidents cup (and successors) standings. What is Bill done to change that? As I see it he has done three things, wooing Leach, building the FOB and the press box.

Let's go cheap.

Originally posted by Observer11:

While I'm not yet in full-on meltdown mode, it's hard to argue what appears to be unfolding right before our eyes. Other than grades and women's soccer, there's not too much joy in Pullberg. For all those "Trust in Moos' acolytes - remember the old adage in dealing with the Soviets - trust but verify.

Fool me once with inflated expecations in football, shame on you....fool me twice, well, that's not even up for discussion any more. Must win at the latest in 2016. Or else the dumpster fire is going to blaze so hot, EFlo will have little recourse than to write bye-bye checks to both Bill and Mike. I can't see it playing out for 3 or 4 more years at current pace.

I think Ernie was a solid hire - but given what the rest of the conference is doing facility-wise, he's going to have a tough row to hoe. Fortunately, it sounds like EFlo is getting on board with doing something to Beasley - and that may because he's seen enough of the 'football raises all boats' mentality and is couching his bets.
I think Ernie is doing a good job, My concern is that when we put out the "help wanted," Bill didn't generate much interest at all. I think that is because he is seen as a modern Mike Lude, i.e., the other sports exist so we can play big time football.

I hope Leach can turn it around,. The losing is getting to me. If he doesn't, Moos will go down as the Paul Wulff of ADs. God I miss Janovich. Sometime you don't know what you have until they are gone.

Second, women have been able to dunk for years, have you heard of Cheryl Miller, at 6' 2," They don't dunk often because it is a low percentage shot for women. Where is there any proof that athletes are better today? In the past there were trends of improved athletic performance over time, it ended 20 years ago. The women's high jump record was set 28 years ago. long jump 27 years ago. Men's long Jump was set in 1991, high jump in 1993.

Third, Moos didn't go after Potter. The point is, if Moos he wanted athletic success, he would have stated by trying to woo Potter back, or similar acts to show he is interested in changing the losing culture.

1990, you do realize that we continually have one of, if not the worst, athletic programs among major conference schools, based on the Presidents cup (and successors) standings. What is Bill done to change that? As I see it he has done three things, wooing Leach, building the FOB and the press box.
Well this Idaho guy doesn't sound all that bad. If he can be successful at UI, he should be able to kick it up a notch here.
Beyond that, I share the disappointment. We really wiffed after Tony Bennett left - should have kept the system, maybe given Ben Johnson his shot. How we went from having two future NBA'ers on the squad to where we are now is hard to understand. Yeah and Baynes has even been starting a few games. He'll never be a star, but he has become a legitimate NBA player who will likely have a solid career as a backup.

I really worry about the dismal financial results. That $13 million loss will likely be there again this current year, and who knows from there. Much as I like the stadium improvements, it looks like we overbuilt the fancy stuff while gutting the capacity. I also think the lack of a Directv contract has hurt the TV revenue promises more than anyone will admit. WSU needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat in football within the next couple of years or we will be in deep, deep trouble. IMHO.

Originally posted by Loyal Coug:

Well this Idaho guy doesn't sound all that bad. If he can be successful at UI, he should be able to kick it up a notch here.
Beyond that, I share the disappointment. We really wiffed after Tony Bennett left - should have kept the system, maybe given Ben Johnson his shot. How we went from having two future NBA'ers on the squad to where we are now is hard to understand. Yeah and Baynes has even been starting a few games. He'll never be a star, but he has become a legitimate NBA player who will likely have a solid career as a backup.

I really worry about the dismal financial results. That $13 million loss will likely be there again this current year, and who knows from there. Much as I like the stadium improvements, it looks like we overbuilt the fancy stuff while gutting the capacity. I also think the lack of a Directv contract has hurt the TV revenue promises more than anyone will admit. WSU needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat in football within the next couple of years or we will be in deep, deep trouble. IMHO.
This thread is premised on a question: has June D had enough time?But you're, once again, talking about Baynes, and making ridiculous statements about stadium capacity being gutted (it's gone from 35,000 plus to about 33,000). Moos has already addressed the budget, btw.

winning will come, but b uilding a program from scratch, which this rebuild is because of the mess wulff left takes more than 2-3 years. probably 6-7 to get things rolling

Originally posted by YakiCoug:

This thread is premised on a question: has June D had enough time?But you're, once again, talking about Baynes, and making ridiculous statements about stadium capacity being gutted (it's gone from 35,000 plus to about 33,000). Moos has already addressed the budget, btw.
Addressed the budget? Not trying to be snarky. What is being done exactly?

First, his real name is Li Li. He didn't come to WSU because of $$$, see below. He goes by James, so who cares what his real name is.

Second, women have been able to dunk for years, have you heard of Cheryl Miller, at 6' 2," They don't dunk often because it is a low percentage shot for women. Where is there any proof that athletes are better today? In the past there were trends of improved athletic performance over time, it ended 20 years ago. The women's high jump record was set 28 years ago. long jump 27 years ago. Men's long Jump was set in 1991, Is it 2018 or are you bad at math? high jump in 1993.

Where does this come from? One, how do you know he didn't? How do you know that if he did, Potter was even interested? How many coaches do you know that leave for another major job come back two years later?

When has WSU ever had a long period of success in the Presidents Cup? It isn't a secret on here that you don't care much for Leach or Moos. Tell us why his hire of Kidane McAlpine was so bad. Jen Greeny? Tom Jagr? Etc.

It appears you are cherry picking things to fit your narrative.

Don't expect much......

....for facts out of Yakkcry. He's mad because the thread shifted to other sports. Moos addressed the budget by saying we would be solvent by 2018. I'm not seeing it. Oh and ridiculous statements? I'm pretty sure we lost another 1,000 seats when the FOB went in. Down to about 32,000. Maybe gutted is a bit strong. how about reduced? That please you Yakkcry?

Originally posted by Observer11:

The philosophy of not investing in football is the reason why ALL of WSU Athletics is in its current state. During the best run in school history, WSU watched OSU and Oregon build new facilities, and blow past us as athletic programs. Fortunately for us, uw had three program crushing coaches back to back to back in Neuheisel, Gilbertson and Willingham.

Investing in football is the only way out. Throwing money at soccer, rowing or any other sport just means more mediocrity.

This post was edited on 2/18 3:41 PM by dgibbons

He has addressed why a deficit exists. Maybe you missed that story. Is he wrong in his prediction it will go away in a couple years? Guess we'll find out. You can be snarky as you want if it stays or gets worse. True Cougs revel in WSU athletics' misery.

Re: Don't expect much......

....for facts out of Yakkcry. He's mad because the thread shifted to other sports. Moos addressed the budget by saying we would be solvent by 2018. I'm not seeing it. Oh and ridiculous statements? I'm pretty sure we lost another 1,000 seats when the FOB went in. Down to about 32,000. Maybe gutted is a bit strong. how about reduced? That please you Yakkcry?

Nice reply, nookie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT