ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming class

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Just looked through the bios of our incoming class, and it looks like a strong haul for Rolo. I don't follow recruiting as closely as I used to because I've learned how impossible it is to project how kids will perform, but comparatively speaking, this class is certainly on par with Leach's classes, if not more impressive. That's what I'm monitoring more than anything. Can Rolo bring kids in? So far, the answer is yes. The important question moving forward is, can he develop the kids on the field and in the weight room as well as Leach did?

Overall, rankings aside, this looks like a strong WSU incoming class.

I like the class. I loved the class before a few guys got late offers. I really believe in the DEs and QB they scored, I think the LBs will be decent as well.

I think if they could have traveled to/hosted kids we would have had a better class and sealed a few more guys who defected. I’m just hoping Nunnally signs, but it looks like he’s waiting until Feb?

For the circumstances I’m not disappointed. I think there’s a few who could be studs. I really like Falatea. Brock Dieu is a monster of human being for his age, the late flip from Florida was a nice surprise. CJ Moore should be able to contribute. It’s clear they needed bodies in defense. A lot of guys signed on th defensive side of the ball which we need. I e lack bodies there.

There are a few players I really like: Hicks, Barthiel, Moore, Peters, Stevenson, Gusta and Dieu. Several other high upside talents: Falalea, Mauigoa, and Shepherd.

Looks like Nunnally is a grades guy so we might not get him.

But about half of the kids are wait and see types. This class looks on par with Leach's weaker classes which, under the circumstances, isn't the end of the world.

Will we be able to land some of the transfers in the portal just might determine this class. Hicks the db out of Vegas is a stud. Fred's little bro from Samoa could be an absolute stud lb...he can Really run for a kid 220lbs. Really like the numbers on DL. JC WR looks really good.

Interesting approach at the edge position. Recruit really fast tall 200-205lb guys and hopefully they can put on 40 lbs. Solid class. Lots of Wrs is telling how coaches feel about the depth at that position. Little light on OL and Dbs.

Who knows how the current roster will shake out. Seems like kids are coming and going. As long as the roster is full or close to full that will help.

There are a few players I really like: Hicks, Barthiel, Moore, Peters, Stevenson, Gusta and Dieu. Several other high upside talents: Falalea, Mauigoa, and Shepherd.

Looks like Nunnally is a grades guy so we might not get him.

But about half of the kids are wait and see types. This class looks on par with Leach's weaker classes which, under the circumstances, isn't the end of the world.
thanks for the info on Nunnally

Looks like we are aggressively pursuing several players in the transfer portal. TCU lb who played hs ball in Sumner, couple KU wrs, Tenn Wr, corner from Louisiana Monroe, DE from UCF. Now big time Edge from Utah that signed with Boise St two years ago, but took Mormon mission.

5 spots left.....

Reactions: taf88
I like the number of guys on the D side of the ball. The class potential looks good across the board. I like spending a scholie on a punter if we are confident in him. And I like that we are hard after the portal kids (though in fairness, so are most teams).

I really want to see some more HS O linemen. You need those to come from HS so they can grow & develop. I'd like more DB's and a good RB, but those are positions that can be filled from transfers if necessary.

Looks like we are aggressively pursuing several players in the transfer portal. TCU lb who played hs ball in Sumner, couple KU wrs, Tenn Wr, corner from Louisiana Monroe, DE from UCF. Now big time Edge from Utah that signed with Boise St two years ago, but took Mormon mission.

5 spots left.....

You mind posting the Twitter handles of the kids were after in the Portal? I know our coaches are at least following Ben Wilson from Summer.

Reactions: kougkurt
Will we be able to land some of the transfers in the portal just might determine this class. Hicks the db out of Vegas is a stud. Fred's little bro from Samoa could be an absolute stud lb...he can Really run for a kid 220lbs. Really like the numbers on DL. JC WR looks really good.

Interesting approach at the edge position. Recruit really fast tall 200-205lb guys and hopefully they can put on 40 lbs. Solid class. Lots of Wrs is telling how coaches feel about the depth at that position. Little light on OL and Dbs.
With all the Super Seniors who will be out there I would think the grad transfer market will be hot as well. Could also work against us with a guy like McIntosh moving somewhere closer to home for his second senior year.

They've only signed two OL? Big mistake, you need to take 5 every year.

Rolovich said today that he wants to control the defensive line and that was a huge need not offensive line. We have 21 on the roster, 18 scholarships, add the two that signed today we have 20 scholarship linemen. All are eligible to return and play next year except for maybe Lucas who could go pro and a few others that will go into the transfer portal, but over all we look pretty heavy on the offensive line. I expect next year will be a heavier focus on the offensive line. The defense needed bodies this year and we needed receivers. OL recruiting took a backseat for us.

Reactions: kougkurt

The approach to the edge position is reminiscent of the days when Isaac Brown and DD Acholonu were a handful for other teams. Wouldn't that be nice!

Glad Cougar

The approach to the edge position is reminiscent of the days when Isaac Brown and DD Acholonu were a handful for other teams. Wouldn't that be nice!

Glad Cougar
Pretty good mix- Speed guys+ power/set the edge guys. Dickerts gonna have lots to work with in the next couple of years. limited sample size but IMO the front 7 took a huge step forward from last year already with some of the same personnel so excited to see how he develops all of these guys.

Glad Cougar

That is what I have been wanting for a long time....and smaller but faster linebackers. Maybe a few who don't have telephones and will pack the RV lots with relatives throwing rope around a barrel of hay with horns on it.

Transfer portal is taking the spot of JUCO transfers with good reason. If a JUCO player has two years left it usually takes him a year to get used to the Power 5 level so it costs you two years to get one good year.
A properly targeted transfer can help you immediately or at least provide quality depth. If he has more than one year left then even better.
Looking forward to seeing how the class fills out and who decides to stay the extra year from the current roster.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

Glad Cougar

Having Long, Williams and Tupai at DT would work too.

Rolovich said today that he wants to control the defensive line and that was a huge need not offensive line. We have 21 on the roster, 18 scholarships, add the two that signed today we have 20 scholarship linemen. All are eligible to return and play next year except for maybe Lucas who could go pro and a few others that will go into the transfer portal, but over all we look pretty heavy on the offensive line. I expect next year will be a heavier focus on the offensive line. The defense needed bodies this year and we needed receivers. OL recruiting took a backseat for us.

I understand that, but there's still always transfers, guys don't pan out. I understand we're heavy here (great pun, btw), but still think you have to walk away with 4 OL, at least, even as thin as the defensive side of the ball is. No RB either, must mean the staff is solid on everyone returning, but still think the class needs one of those too.

I understand that, but there's still always transfers, guys don't pan out. I understand we're heavy here (great pun, btw), but still think you have to walk away with 4 OL, at least, even as thin as the defensive side of the ball is. No RB either, must mean the staff is solid on everyone returning, but still think the class needs one of those too.

Smith said they’ll sign a running back in February. I think they could hit the portal for a few players. Wouldn’t mind seeing another OL and a corner.

Transfer portal is taking the spot of JUCO transfers with good reason. If a JUCO player has two years left it usually takes him a year to get used to the Power 5 level so it costs you two years to get one good year.
A properly targeted transfer can help you immediately or at least provide quality depth. If he has more than one year left then even better.
Looking forward to seeing how the class fills out and who decides to stay the extra year from the current roster.

P5 transfers know what it looks like to be in a P5 program. Have you seen Last Chance U? Those kids arent ready for a P5 program or classroom.

Reactions: jarvis1981
I bet we have fewer scholly RB’s on the roster than any other pac school
McIntosh and Borghi both back next year. Bazile in the wings. RB is one of the positions a frosh can step in and play if they are a good one. Not worried about this position.

McIntosh and Borghi both back next year. Bazile in the wings. RB is one of the positions a frosh can step in and play if they are a good one. Not worried about this position.
Not worried......just lack depth

Surprised we didn’t go after the Hawaii transfer. Arthur Burns little bro. Had good stats.

Man, you guys are going to make me be the one to make the "weak year for west coast linemen" joke?

I think a fair way to characterize the class is that we got people for the positions where we had the most immediate need. That does not mean that we don't need a couple more O linemen and at least one more CB, as well as a RB. This is a solid class. Add maybe 4-5 transfers and we are good.

Reactions: fingerdisco
I like the idea of adding transfers. Defensive talent lost through attrition (and tragedy) has hurt.

I also like that we are putting an emphasis on character and wanting to be in Pullman.

Rolo made comment that if you don't want to play in the snow, then obviously you aren't interested in playing January football in the NFL (paraphrasing). In other words, think of Pullman like Green Bay. Having been to Green Bay, I would say that is probably the best way to characterize the Cougs in D-1 football.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT