ADVERTISEMENT

It’s too the point where we just need to let the other team score

I honestly think if we repped onside kicks all bye week we would have a high recovery rate then we have stop rate. Have a few variations and Just do it every time

Its sad when you leave 1 min left and you know you're screwed....
Yup. The series where we snapped it with 30 on the play clock, ran out of bounds, then scored...knew it was over. No way we were keeping them at bay. Should have run it down and left it up to the offense to score in the last 10-15 seconds.

Yup. The series where we snapped it with 30 on the play clock, ran out of bounds, then scored...knew it was over. No way we were keeping them at bay. Should have run it down and left it up to the offense to score in the last 10-15 seconds.

I sent a message to a friend saying that we needed to run the ball to burn some clock once we get inside the 20.

Or maybe we don’t score. Jesus we took the lead I’m not gonna bitch about time remaining

I remember thinking, "Can't turn down a score" when we threw that last TD. It's up to our defense to get better. We would have lost to Oregon last year if our defense played the way it did last night. The defense is improving at times, but the explosive plays are still killing us.

Poor special teams, poorly called defensive series, poorly executed defensive plays.

If it is fair to point out the limit of the players or when they play poorly, when is it fair to point out the limits of the coaching staff or when they coach poorly?

Reactions: walzuu
Poor special teams, poorly called defensive series, poorly executed defensive plays.

If it is fair to point out the limit of the players or when they play poorly, when is it fair to point out the limits of the coaching staff or when they coach poorly?

Biggs......you are absolutely right that Leach has made some dumb decisions this year (and in previous years). The defensive coaching staff has obviously got a lot of work to do and needs to be better. However, Leach is still the guy that was leading the team that went 37-15 from 2015 to 2018 and is the man that makes us relevant in the national picture. He's at WSU because of the stupid decisions that he makes at times and how freakin' weird he is. His flaws are why we have him. His talent and ingenuity are why we are lucky to have him.

We are having our worst season since 2014 and it's understandable for fans to get frustrated. However, for all of your talk about knowing what it's like coaching and playing football, you are showing an amazing lack of perspective about how fickle college football is and how difficult it is to coach and win games. We are three plays away from being 8-1 instead of 4-4. It sucks....but some years you just don't get the bounces. Everyone else is trying too and sometimes.....they are going to win.

So yeah, bitch about the staff if it makes you feel better. Call out individual bad decisions because we can always hope that Leach will learn from his mistakes. However, it's important to maintain perspective and not lose our minds because we have one year where things aren't great. We will be favored in the next three games against teams that are struggling with consistency as much, if not more, than us. I don't know about all of you, but if we are sitting at 7-4 going into the Apple Cup.....I'm going to be happy.

We are, genius. The coaches are limited to what they have to work with. There is no depth on this defense. Losing Thompson we made up for a lot of bad secondary play and Pelleur who compensated for poor linebackers this is the defense you get. If want to point fingers then maybe point the fingers at the defensive coaches at Oklahoma and Oregon because they clearly didn’t do their job before they left with regards to recruiting.

Poor special teams? Mazza was perfect, Travell Harris had a good game, I thought. Punter was fine. They allowed one return.

I'm not going to call "not perfect" special teams, "poor" special teams.

I sent a message to a friend saying that we needed to run the ball to burn some clock once we get inside the 20.

We didn't have the lead down six, a score isn't guaranteed as we didn't score until 4th down. I can understand thinking this if we had the lead, or a chip shot FG would win or tie the game, but that wasn't the case.

Now Gordon not running clock was a problem, but other folks criticizing Harris for fighting for yards while going out of bounds, at that point you need every yard for either a first down or score.

Again, we needed to score a TD, which is hardly a given.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
We are, genius. The coaches are limited to what they have to work with. There is no depth on this defense. Losing Thompson we made up for a lot of bad secondary play and Pelleur who compensated for poor linebackers this is the defense you get. If want to point fingers then maybe point the fingers at the defensive coaches at Oklahoma and Oregon because they clearly didn’t do their job before they left with regards to recruiting.

Hey genius, returns have been an issue. When you need it most, you cant let there be a big return like that. Thats on the coaches.

I wont argue the depth is weak on the defensive side of the ball. I wont argue the scheme and play calling are equally as weak.

Turnover is a constant issue in college football. Thompson and Pelleur moving on hurt. They were always going to be replaced. Where is the talent behind those guys????

These coaches have left too much meat on the bone. Theyve pissed away too many games this season.

How many more games will they lose before you stop blaming the kids for everything??

Last 2 weeks are an upgrade in play

Defense is undermanned period. Nfl dc could not stop the bleeding. It is what it is

Offense is good but not good or efficient enough to compensate against good teams

All but about 5 programs are going to have a down year where injuries grades poor recruiting early nfl departures etc just take their toll and leave the team flawed

Alabama ohio state just reload but just a handful of programs can do that

I like the recruits coming in

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Poor special teams? Mazza was perfect, Travell Harris had a good game, I thought. Punter was fine. They allowed one return.

Defensing returns has been an issue. UCLA, now Oregon.

Harris is legit. Mazza kicks well.

When the game is on the line... and youre a poor tackling team.... having given up returns for touchdowns.... as a coach you cannot allow a return. Kick it thru the endzone if you can. If you cannot, kick it out of bounds. What you cannot do is allow them to return the ball 40 yards. You cannot allow them momentum, hope, field position, opportunity. They did just that. The kick teams are poorly coached and have played a large role in 2 losses this year. How many more before it gets fixed???

Hey genius, returns have been an issue. When you need it most, you cant let there be a big return like that. Thats on the coaches.

I wont argue the depth is weak on the defensive side of the ball. I wont argue the scheme and play calling are equally as weak.

Turnover is a constant issue in college football. Thompson and Pelleur moving on hurt. They were always going to be replaced. Where is the talent behind those guys????

These coaches have left too much meat on the bone. Theyve pissed away too many games this season.

How many more games will they lose before you stop blaming the kids for everything??

Where’s the talent? Go ask Grinch, Wilson, Salave’a, Manning where the talent is. Why they stopped recruiting or sucked at their job before the went and took a giant pay day?

We have never been a “great” defense. Even under Grinch. We were a bend don’t break and we got turnovers type of defense. We don’t get turnovers this year and we break. A lot. We have gotten 1 turnover in our 4 losses. It’s the same as it was in 2014.

If you wanna fire the entire coaching staff then be my guest. I don’t think it’s wise to have that much turnover in a unit.

The players play their ass off. This isn’t an effort thing. This is they just aren’t good enough thing.

It’s like when Leach first took over, was it a Leach forgot how to coach thing or a talent thing when we went 12-26 in 3 years? I’ll say it was a talent thing.

Im not quick to fire a staff that won 11 games last year.

Defensing returns has been an issue. UCLA, now Oregon.

Harris is legit. Mazza kicks well.

When the game is on the line... and youre a poor tackling team.... having given up returns for touchdowns.... as a coach you cannot allow a return. Kick it thru the endzone if you can. If you cannot, kick it out of bounds. What you cannot do is allow them to return the ball 40 yards. You cannot allow them momentum, hope, field position, opportunity. They did just that. The kick teams are poorly coached and have played a large role in 2 losses this year. How many more before it gets fixed???

Ucla, yes, but yesterday? They allowed 1 return, of 36 yards. So I guess they played a role in that they were not perfect.

And Oregon moved the ball at will that drive and had plenty of time. I don't think the return was really all that impactful.

Where’s the talent? Go ask Grinch, Wilson, Salave’a, Manning where the talent is. Why they stopped recruiting or sucked at their job before the went and took a giant pay day?

We have never been a “great” defense. Even under Grinch. We were a bend don’t break and we got turnovers type of defense. We don’t get turnovers this year and we break. A lot. We have gotten 1 turnover in our 4 losses. It’s the same as it was in 2014.

If you wanna fire the entire coaching staff then be my guest. I don’t think it’s wise to have that much turnover in a unit.

The players play their ass off. This isn’t an effort thing. This is they just aren’t good enough thing.

It’s like when Leach first took over, was it a Leach forgot how to coach thing or a talent thing when we went 12-26 in 3 years? I’ll say it was a talent thing.

Im not quick to fire a staff that won 11 games last year.

Im not advocating firing an entire staff. You are making up things Ive written. Stop.

If anything, Ive defended the defense. Ive posted numerous times that its the offense that has turned the ball over and left them jammed up. Its the offense that gave up a touchdown last night to Oregon. Its the offense that has put an undermanned defense in bad spots.

In a year when the team needs to be coached well, attention to detail, they arent.

I think this team, poor defense and all, could be undefeated. I think its coaching that has gotten these results. I think that sucks.

Ucla, yes, but yesterday? They allowed 1 return, of 36 yards. So I guess they played a role in that they were not perfect.

And Oregon moved the ball at will that drive and had plenty of time. I don't think the return was really all that impactful.

Youre wrong. The return was impactful. When they needed to limit their starting position the most, they didnt.

Then they followed it up with a poorly called and executed series on defense.

Piss poor.

Youre wrong. The return was impactful. When they needed to limit their starting position the most, they didnt.

Then they followed it up with a poorly called and executed series on defense.

Piss poor.

Eh. I'm pretty sure Oregon would've drove right down the field and kicked a chip shot field regardless, but whatever. They weren't perfect, but college football special teams rarely are. You want to assign some percentage of blame to them, go for it.

Eh. I'm pretty sure Oregon would've drove right down the field and kicked a chip shot field regardless, but whatever. They weren't perfect, but college football special teams rarely are. You want to assign some percentage of blame to them, go for it.

Make them earn every yard. Maybe they would. Maybe they wouldnt. Make them go as far as possible. Make them earn every yard.

Because they’re out of position a lot. Because they run into each other like Keystone cops. And because Leach won 11 games last season and still has a chance to get us to a bowl for the fifth year in a row.

When are you going to stop whining?

Reactions: etowncoug
We didn't have the lead down six, a score isn't guaranteed as we didn't score until 4th down. I can understand thinking this if we had the lead, or a chip shot FG would win or tie the game, but that wasn't the case.

Now Gordon not running clock was a problem, but other folks criticizing Harris for fighting for yards while going out of bounds, at that point you need every yard for either a first down or score.

Again, we needed to score a TD, which is hardly a given.

Please don't spend time over-analyzing me. I'm a simple guy and people always try to add layers of intrigue or angst into my posts that just isn't there. What I posted earlier was my stream of conscious thought at that moment in time in the game. If you look at my other post after that, my thought after we scored the TD was "can't turn down a score". So.....I still stick by the idea that we should have handed the ball off to our running back who was having a damned fine night.....even if I understand that throwing the ball is our comfort zone and that's why we did it.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Our team is decent to good right now with a chance to finish strong. It was unlikely that this season was going to match what we had last year, and I’m ok with that.

The Cal game is set up to be very important. Both teams are 4-4 overall and 1-4 in conference. Both teams have BYE’s next weekend. The Bears just lost 35-0 to Utah and were held to 80 total yards, but they may get their starting QB back against us. We need that game, and so do they. Will likely be a mid afternoon P12 network game.

6-6 with apple cup win over the "Elcomanches"

That's the only game that matters to about half the fan base, but I think this team wins that game.

Probably play in the snickers fun size bowl in south dakota

Offense converted on 1-9 third down attempts. Oregon converted on 11-17 third down attempts. Dfefense gets tired having to spend time on the field.

Offense converted on 1-9 third down attempts. Oregon converted on 11-17 third down attempts. Dfefense gets tired having to spend time on the field.
That's not an entirely good metric to use for offensive productivity. Cougs actually got more first downs than the Ducks....WSU gets most of them on 1st and 2nd down, that's the difference. Cougs only punted 3 times (Ducks 4 times). The main reason the defense has to spend so much time on the field is that they don't make enough stops to begin with. Ducks simply kept running the ball and wearing them down and eating up the clock, especially in the 2nd half. I'm not going to blame the offense for that.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Pinkcadillac
That's not an entirely good metric to use for offensive productivity. Cougs actually got more first downs than the Ducks....WSU gets most of them on 1st and 2nd down, that's the difference. Cougs only punted 3 times (Ducks 4 times). The main reason the defense has to spend so much time on the field is that they don't make enough stops to begin with. Ducks simply kept running the ball and wearing them down and eating up the clock, especially in the 2nd half. I'm not going to blame the offense for that.

Glad Cougar

Cougs were also 2-2 on 4th down. So you can essentially add 2 conversions.

Reactions: walzuu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT