ADVERTISEMENT

It's official: Schulz retiring

It’s good to rebuild with new leadership. He’s not retiring until 6/25, which gives us time to thoroughly vet replacement candidates.

Reactions: Cougini5591
How good a job he did, given the challenges he faced, is a subject for another day. I like at least 2 things in the announced date:

- Plenty of time to pick the new person, assuming the time is used efficiently.
- He sticks around long enough to help set the right path with the continuing saga of the PAC 2. And depending upon the timing of the new person, he could even get them fully up to speed prior to their official start date.

As the brand X article noted, he still has time to write a good portion of his legacy. Let's hope his writing skills are good.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
How good a job he did, given the challenges he faced, is a subject for another day. I like at least 2 things in the announced date:

- He sticks around long enough to help set the right path with the continuing saga of the PAC 2. And depending upon the timing of the new person, he could even get them fully up to speed prior to their official start date.

As the brand X article noted, he still has time to write a good portion of his legacy. Let's hope his writing skills are good.
Schulz and hitting timelines are like oil and water.

Shit I listened to his little clip on Brand X, with wifey saying too much. He took credit for the "funding" for the Medical School, which Elson Floyd secured from the Legislature while basically on his deathbed. Between that and the suck up articles on Brand X (typical) and even Brand Y, my reaction is get me a barf bag. Oh and all this record fundraising. What the F ever.

I was at WSU under Smith (highly unappreciated, a great President), Rawlins (still don't know what the "V" stood for), and Floyd. When Floyd was hired, kinda early, he showed up as a contractor for a couple of overlapping months and was basically shoving Rawlins out the door early. Floyd couldn't stand Rawlins. So Schulz wanting to hang around and help the new Prez? Goodbye and good riddance buddy. You were a shitty President, as evidenced by all the evidence. Your last year will be shitty. We need no extra crappiness from you. Go away.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I don’t think Schulz was bad President, but it’s a good time to start fresh with someone new. He certainly received way too much blame for the realignment mess. As if WSU had any leverage whatsoever throughout the process.

I don’t think Schulz was bad President, but it’s a good time to start fresh with someone new. He certainly received way too much blame for the realignment mess. As if WSU had any leverage whatsoever throughout the process.
Well 'ol buddy, on this particular topic the first 3 words of your post sum it up! :):) Go read the details of my other post and look at the enrollment and employment data.

The V stood for Virtuous.

As in, so virtuous to deny admissions to African-American athletes who met Pac-10 academic standards but weren't good enough to meet Lane's shit-doesn't-stink bar.

The V stood for Virtuous.

As in, so virtuous to deny admissions to African-American athletes who met Pac-10 academic standards but weren't good enough to meet Lane's shit-doesn't-stink bar.
I think that all anyone needs to make an informed decision about VLR's competency is that he wanted to ban the common usage of "Wazzu". WTF, Lane?

However, if more evidence is needed, wasn't he the prez that let Mike Price get away? There ya have it!

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Shit I listened to his little clip on Brand X, with wifey saying too much. He took credit for the "funding" for the Medical School, which Elson Floyd secured from the Legislature while basically on his deathbed. Between that and the suck up articles on Brand X (typical) and even Brand Y, my reaction is get me a barf bag. Oh and all this record fundraising. What the F ever.

I was at WSU under Smith (highly unappreciated, a great President), Rawlins (still don't know what the "V" stood for), and Floyd. When Floyd was hired, kinda early, he showed up as a contractor for a couple of overlapping months and was basically shoving Rawlins out the door early. Floyd couldn't stand Rawlins. So Schulz wanting to hang around and help the new Prez? Goodbye and good riddance buddy. You were a shitty President, as evidenced by all the evidence. Your last year will be shitty. We need no extra crappiness from you. Go away.
I was ay WSU under Glenn Terrel, yes I'm getting old

Schultz is almost as much to blame for the mess, as the commish, president's.

Schultz supported, pushed, voted, etc, almost everything the commish, other presidents

Yeah he didn't have much or any leverage, but he didn't have to support, push, vote for the things that caused the mess.

And also it was often Schultz, and the commish who were pushing the things that caused the mess, that everybody else followed.

Also Schultz was very oblivious to what was going on, behind the scenes, etc. That shouldn't have been the case. There were plenty of almost semi obvious warming signs, etc, that he should have had some inkling of what could have been coming down the pipe.

Most of the other president's did, and not because of conspiracy, etc. Unlike Schultz, they were smarter, more observant, watchful, recognized, figured stuff out better, etc, and that's why they weren't caught by surprise, and why they were able to do things about it earlier.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Bill Moos had been president, instead of Schultz, he would have seen the mess coming, done something about it, and if the mess was still going to hit, Moos would have figured out a way to not be left behind, and even if Moos was NOT able to find a way to NOT to be left behind, AT LEAST HE WOULDNT HAVE BEEN CAUGHT BY SURPRISE, HOLDING THE BAG, AND WOULD HAVE TRIED LIKE HELL, NOT TO GET LEFT BEHIND.

Schultz has done both good things, and bad things, and gets some blame, but not all the blame for everything.

But Schultz definitely deserves blame for how he handled the situations that led to PAC 12 disintegration, and WSU being left behind.

Schultz has done a good job dealing with consequences, but like already said, it's time for new, better leadership, and hopefully the new president will be a better leader.

Last edited:
I think that all anyone needs to make an informed decision about VLR's competency is that he wanted to ban the common usage of "Wazzu". WTF, Lane?

However, if more evidence is needed, wasn't he the prez that let Mike Price get away? There ya have it!
As much as that’s remembered (just about the only thing Rawlins is remembered for), to a large degree it worked. There’s very little merch - almost none of it licensed - that uses it anymore.

As much as that’s remembered (just about the only thing Rawlins is remembered for), to a large degree it worked. There’s very little merch - almost none of it licensed - that uses it anymore.
He got his golf course built, by golly!

Schultz is almost as much to blame for the mess, as the commish, president's.

Schultz supported, pushed, voted, etc, almost everything the commish, other presidents

Yeah he didn't have much or any leverage, but he didn't have to support, push, vote for the things that caused the mess.

And also it was often Schultz, and the commish who were pushing the things that caused the mess, that everybody else followed.

Also Schultz was very oblivious to what was going on, behind the scenes, etc. That shouldn't have been the case. There were plenty of almost semi obvious warming signs, etc, that he should have had some inkling of what could have been coming down the pipe.

Most of the other president's did, and not because of conspiracy, etc. Unlike Schultz, they were smarter, more observant, watchful, recognized, figured stuff out better, etc, and that's why they weren't caught by surprise, and why they were able to do things about it earlier.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Bill Moos had been president, instead of Schultz, he would have seen the mess coming, done something about it, and if the mess was still going to hit, Moos would have figured out a way to not be left behind, and even if Moos was NOT able to find a way to NOT to be left behind, AT LEAST HE WOULDNT HAVE BEEN CAUGHT BY SURPRISE, HOLDING THE BAG, AND WOULD HAVE TRIED LIKE HELL, NOT TO GET LEFT BEHIND.

Schultz has done both good things, and bad things, and gets some blame, but not all the blame for everything.

But Schultz definitely deserves blame for how he handled the situations that led to PAC 12 disintegration, and WSU being left behind.

Schultz has done a good job dealing with consequences, but like already said, it's time for new, better leadership, and hopefully the new president will be a better leader.
Bill Moos was not stopping our relegation.

Bill Moos was not stopping our relegation.
I hear you on that and agree that it likely is right, but I definitely have a non-zero probability of Moos (especially Moos/Floyd) having explored some other options more thoroughly and possibly putting some other things in motion. Moos would know this is a death knell. Doesn’t mean he could do anything but I know he would have tried a lot more, even if the result was something some here wouldn’t like.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
I view where we’re at as a setback, not a death knell. We’ve been a MWC level program for several decades now. Even with P12 revenue, we still managed to dig a massive dept hole, so I don’t think the relegation is going to impact our University outside of a 2-3 year transitional adjustment period.

I expect the overall WSU profile to be higher in 10 years than it is now. Instead of chasing delusional dreams of living in the same financial neighborhood of the UWs, Oregon’s, SC and UCLAs of the west coast, we’re going to better settle into our land grant identity. We’ll compete in more reasonably scaled athletics, expand on our excellent research reputation, and finally focus on improving our general academic standing.

I hear you on that and agree that it likely is right, but I definitely have a non-zero probability of Moos (especially Moos/Floyd) having explored some other options more thoroughly and possibly putting some other things in motion. Moos would know this is a death knell. Doesn’t mean he could do anything but I know he would have tried a lot more, even if the result was something some here wouldn’t like.

@mikalalas

@425cougfan

What's the likelihood Mr. Moos would agree to return to his alma mater as an interim AD and/or special advisor to the president?

He's in his early 70's, so he's likely still got a little tread left on the tires.

Maybe Bill could get Anne McCoy up to speed until she's ready to assume leadership of the athletic department?

In no alternate universe would Bill Moos ever be named as President (interim or otherwise) of WSU.

The academics would burn the place down.

Abraham, Moses and Solomon can’t get WSU out of this.

😟​

Read insight like this and it makes a person wonder if Dr. Schultz and his media buddies Wilner and Canzano were operating in a "nothing to see here, all is well" echo chamber while the Pac-12 unraveled?

Hopefully PKS is at home in the Tri-Cities doing everything within his powers for these next 14 months until his retirement party to secure WSU a spot in the ACC or Big 12 — either that or fully restock the "New-Pac"

Pete, as a University, WSU is going to be just fine. Athletics will decrease in scale, but I expect the pivot will be an increased focus on academics and enrollment.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Pete, as a University, WSU is going to be just fine. Athletics will decrease in scale, but I expect the pivot will be an increased focus on academics and enrollment.

CP, do you see Dr. Schultz directing a large portion of the windfall from the successful Pac-12 alimony settlement away from athletics in favor of elevating academics?

Would that quiet some of his critics on campus?

CP, do you see Dr. Schultz directing a large portion of the windfall from the successful Pac-12 alimony settlement away from athletics in favor of elevating academics?

Would that quiet some of his critics on campus?
Schultz works for the Regents.

Do WSU Regents want to de-emphasize athletics?

WSU is in the unenviable position as a university. The regents cannot screw up on the next university president hire.

Your academic ranking is suffering and will take awhile to bounce back -- are students now going to look elsewhere for a place with more academic prestige?

You're currently no longer offering P5 football or athletics, or playing against the same teams you had for over a century -- some students may not care, but some likely will (I would have fallen into this category). It's certainly not helping.

WSU is now in the middle. It used to be a Tier 1 + P5 but now it's missing one of those things and the Tier 1 academic side hasn't been looking great of late. It's less expensive to go to places like EWU, CWU, smaller universities, and it's not elite academically or athletically (being in a P5) to compete with other universities on the West Coast.

They've cut marketing in athletics (and my assumption would be university wide). WSU has a massive branding issue to fix. How are they going to fix it? What is going to be WSU's calling card moving forward?

Reactions: mikalalas
WSU is in the unenviable position as a university. The regents cannot screw up on the next university president hire.

Your academic ranking is suffering and will take awhile to bounce back -- are students now going to look elsewhere for a place with more academic prestige?

You're currently no longer offering P5 football or athletics, or playing against the same teams you had for over a century -- some students may not care, but some likely will (I would have fallen into this category). It's certainly not helping.

WSU is now in the middle. It used to be a Tier 1 + P5 but now it's missing one of those things and the Tier 1 academic side hasn't been looking great of late. It's less expensive to go to places like EWU, CWU, smaller universities, and it's not elite academically or athletically (being in a P5) to compete with other universities on the West Coast.

They've cut marketing in athletics (and my assumption would be university wide). WSU has a massive branding issue to fix. How are they going to fix it? What is going to be WSU's calling card moving forward?

They aren’t going to do anything. They never have. They will continue to have lousy vision, expectations, standards and expect people to be ok with it.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
They aren’t going to do anything. They never have. They will continue to have lousy vision, expectations, standards and expect people to be ok with it.

Or maybe Dr. Schultz's successor goes all-in on athletics, using some of WSU's Pac-12 alimony war chest for more facilty enhancements to complement the new IPF?

The administration could decide to increase the salary pool to attract better coaching candidates for the revenue sports

Biggsy, how would you spend the Pac-12 "war chest" if you were in charge of WSU's athletic finances?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT