ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Eason?

Think the NCAA would consider an exemption to play immediately at WSU considering the circumstances?

You're bringing up a subject I was thinking about but was waiting for the dust to settle. I see WSU a good place for the right Grad transfer at QB this year.

the circumstances have to be on his end, not ours, for something to be considered like that, no matter how sad and unfortunate they were for the individual and subsequently WSU football.

Saw nothing and I mean nothing in his playing time at Georgia that would indicate that he would be a lock to beat out Cooper head to head.

Way too early to pick out a starter for next year.The position is wide open at this time.It will be a strange opening day this season.

Reactions: Cougzz
Without really knowing I would have to rate the top 4 as
Tinsley. Experience only
Neville. See above
Cooper-potential
Bledsoe

All will enter the spring with a combined 0 collegiate pass attempts.

I think it will come down to a Tinsley-Cooper battle. Hoping Tinsey is the man and get a RS year out of Cooper However I admit a RS Year seems very unlikely.

I wasn't interested in Eason before because I felt that Hilinski was going to be the man and I didn't see the need to muddy the waters. I don't know what the right move is and I don't know how Leach feels about the QB's on the roster but the events of the past week obviously has a huge impact on our QB situation.

Other than the fact he started at a good program as a true freshman? Not red shirt, TRUE freshman. You think any Tom, Dick or Harry can do that?
And beat a quality opponent in Penn State in his first bowl game as a true freshman. Yeah, pretty pedestrian.

And beat a quality opponent in Penn State in his first bowl game as a true freshman. Yeah, pretty pedestrian.

Are you saying Eason beat Penn State in his first bowl game as a true Freshman ? On what planet ? ON this planet Eason threw for 160 yards with a 43 QB rating while handing the ball off 40 times in the Liberty Bowl as true Freshman to beat TCU.

Other than the fact he started at a good program as a true freshman? Not red shirt, TRUE freshman. You think any Tom, Dick or Harry can do that?

Read the post, not slamming the guy per se just need more of body of work to say he is a walk-in starter anywhere. If I wanted to slam your post I would point out he would likely be running 3rd team at the same program as a True JUNIOR next year if he stayed there. So not sure what he beat out to start as a Freshman means much right now.

He is enough of a talent that hell yes you take him if he wants to come ,

Last edited:
Read the post, not slamming the guy per se just need more of body of work to say he is a walk-in starter anywhere. If I wanted to slam your post I would point out he would likely be running 3rd team at the same program as a True JUNIOR next year if he stayed there. So not sure what he beat out to start as a Freshman means much right now.

He is enough of talent that hell yes you take him if he wants to come ,

No one said he’d be a “walk in” starter. He’d still have to prove himself anywhere he goes at the power 5 level. He was a top 5 2016 HS QB, he’s worth pursuing. If anything, to keep him away from our NW rivals and solidify our QB depth. Hope we have at least reached out. Although, it’s getting a little late for him to transfer in for the Spring semester.....

Are you saying Eason beat Penn State in his first bowl game as a true Freshman ? On what planet ? ON this planet Eason threw for 160 yards with a 43 QB rating while handing the ball off 40 times in the Liberty Bowl as true Freshman to beat TCU.
Yeah, it wad TCU, my mistake. Regardless, going 8-5 as a true freshman in the SEC is respectable. Also, what P5 game experience of Cooper are you watching to compare against Eason that says he can’t beat out CC?

I would guess that Jacob Eason will probably be a mutt and he will try to rain disaster upon the cougs for the next couple of years. Look for the starter among the QB s currently on campus. They all have wheels and good arms. leach needs to find a starter during Spring practice.The ingredients are all there for a good year.for the 2018-2019 season.It will also be hard for the players to now focus on the task ahead. Bringing someone else into the mix may not be the best thing for the team

You're comparing Eason playing SEC competition to Cooper playing Utah high school football. Do you think your comparison is maybe a little unfair?

And likely to be 3rd string next year? Come on, you're reaching.

Pure speculation he'd be beaten out by a freshman. They'd have to burn the frosh's red shirt just so Eason doesn't have to play. He wasn't THAT bad.

He'd likely be 2nd string, to a Heisman candidate.

Like I said in a previous thread. Eason will start wherever he ends up the day he is eligible. End of story.

Eason had a lot of promise coming out of highschool, but that's the story with lots of guys. Could he be great at WSU? Maybe, but we have a lot of young talent, and I haven't heard of him wanting to go to WSU. He grew up right next to UW. I am pretty sure he is going there.

A transfer in the mix would be interesting, but we have some talented guys. Really we can just try out who we have and start them young.

We have Neville, Tinsley, Brink, Bledsoe, Gordon, and Cooper.

I am pretty sure we can find a guy who can play well out of that group to be the starter. Yes they will be inexperienced, but you have to start somewhere at sometime.

I really like what I've seen from Cooper. He being a lefty adds an extra dimension.

Eason is a great QB and could really excel, but he still has to sit out of 1 year. That won't help us in our immediate needs next year. I am pretty sure we will start whoever can play the best.

I think Tinsley, Bledsoe, Cooper, Gordon are the best bet in my opinion from what we have right now. We could make that work.

Eason would be great though he's a really tall guy at 6'5 and physically is incredibly gifted. But as I said he has to sit out a year. Doesn't help our immediate need.

I think he is hopefully off to Miami, but UW looks like a better bet. His pro-style QB play is outstanding, but I don’t think Air Raid is in his future. I don’t care to give any more thought to Browning, Sirmon, Eason and Yankoff. It makes me nauseous.

I think he is hopefully off to Miami, but UW looks like a better bet. His pro-style QB play is outstanding, but I don’t think Air Raid is in his future. I don’t care to give any more thought to Browning, Sirmon, Eason and Yankoff. It makes me nauseous.

I'm thinking U-dub boosters are at it again.

I think Tinsley, Bledsoe, Cooper, Gordon are the best bet in my opinion from what we have right now.

What about Connor Neville? I think he was a 4-star per Brand X when he committed to CML in April 2016.

Don't know much about Casey Brink from Bainbridge Island?

Can anyone give a rundown on the comparative strengths of the six QB candidates?

The Chop beat me to it. I am also wondering about the relative capabilities of the quarterbacks on the roster as well as the incoming Freshman. Those of us without access to the practices only know what we see on game day. Posts about the Thursday night practices are rather summary and limited. As Pete alluded to, Neville was well regarded when recruited but we hear little about his progress.

I thought it was interesting to read in another article that TH was mentoring John Bledsoe as Luke Falk mentored him. Made me wonder if Bledsoe, not Neville, has emerged from the rest of the group. FWIW, Bledsoe was the Oregon 5A first team QB while Neville was 2nd team....although I believe Neville was more highly recruited. It's going to be an interesting and very important spring.

Glad Cougar

I thought it was interesting to read in another article that TH was mentoring John Bledsoe as Luke Falk mentored him. Made me wonder if Bledsoe, not Neville, has emerged from the rest of the group. FWIW, Bledsoe was the Oregon 5A first team QB while Neville was 2nd team....although I believe Neville was more highly recruited. It's going to be an interesting and very important spring.

Glad Cougar

It is hard to know, as we know little about the redshirting or deep backup players. I have read that Neville has a stronger arm and is more athletic than Bledsoe. Bledsoe may be farther along in maturity and coaching, as he was coached by his father.

I have read that Neville has a stronger arm and is more athletic than Bledsoe. Bledsoe may be farther along in maturity and coaching, as he was coached by his father.

Good intel, 1990. Thanks.

What can you share about Tinsley, Gordon, Brink and Cooper?

Some of the folks I've talked with watched Tinsley at last year's spring game and think he is definitely one to watch. But I didn't read much about him this fall either here or elsewhere.

I did see where Tinsley got some game experience this year holding for field goals and extra points. So maybe CML anticipated a bigger role for him in 2018?

I'll say this much:

The recruiting experts at WSU's "Brand X" site wrote A LOT of flowery articles two years ago celebrating the talents of Connor Neville.

If they were correct with their analysis, it's hard not to get excited about Neville's future leading the Air Raid for Coach Leach.

Good intel, 1990. Thanks.

What can you share about Tinsley, Gordon, Brink and Cooper?

Some of the folks I've talked with watched Tinsley at last year's spring game and think he is definitely one to watch. But I didn't read much about him this fall either here or elsewhere.

I did see where Tinsley got some game experience this year holding for field goals and extra points. So maybe CML anticipated a bigger role for him in 2018?

It is hard to know. No QB on the roster has thrown a meaningful pass for the Cougars in a game. That is an incredible thought. It may mean something that Tinsley held for PATs and FGs. Or, it may mean nothing. In the Mastro post, I noted that former Cougar David Gilbertson is a GA at Oregon. He was a QB, but mostly he was a holder.

The battle is wide open right now and who may be leading right now and during spring practice may not be who opens or finishes the season as the starter.

Next year looks like a rebuilding year now with Hiliniski, Johnson-Mack and Martin, Jr. gone.

A grad transfer who has played in the Air Raid - similar to the kid in 2016 at Cal who transferred from Texas Tech - would be a welcome surprise. Maybe somewhere in the Leach coaching tree an old friend will send a kid to Pullman.

Reactions: Tx64
Eason had a lot of promise coming out of highschool, but that's the story with lots of guys. Could he be great at WSU? Maybe, but we have a lot of young talent, and I haven't heard of him wanting to go to WSU. He grew up right next to UW. I am pretty sure he is going there.

A transfer in the mix would be interesting, but we have some talented guys. Really we can just try out who we have and start them young.

We have Neville, Tinsley, Brink, Bledsoe, Gordon, and Cooper.

I am pretty sure we can find a guy who can play well out of that group to be the starter. Yes they will be inexperienced, but you have to start somewhere at sometime.

I really like what I've seen from Cooper. He being a lefty adds an extra dimension.

Eason is a great QB and could really excel, but he still has to sit out of 1 year. That won't help us in our immediate needs next year. I am pretty sure we will start whoever can play the best.

I think Tinsley, Bledsoe, Cooper, Gordon are the best bet in my opinion from what we have right now. We could make that work.

Eason would be great though he's a really tall guy at 6'5 and physically is incredibly gifted. But as I said he has to sit out a year. Doesn't help our immediate need.

Honestly who will start at QB next year is anyone's guess. Since Leach has been at WSU no QB signed with a Leach class of original offers have worked out for one reason or another. We had a walk-on start for three years. I thought I read that Neville was injured in the Fall and missed much of the Fall. We are fortunate that all five will be available to compete in the spring. I think two will need to be ready regardless and who knows how injuries will workout. We only know that Leach will put someone out there in the Fall.

Honestly who will start at QB next year is anyone's guess. Since Leach has been at WSU no QB signed with a Leach class of original offers have worked out for one reason or another. We had a walk-on start for three years. I thought I read that Neville was injured in the Fall and missed much of the Fall. We are fortunate that all five will be available to compete in the spring. I think two will need to be ready regardless and who knows how injuries will workout. We only know that Leach will put someone out there in the Fall.

All 5 plus Cooper. I hate to even have this conversation. That said, who has gotten real practice in the Fall? Luke was a RS freshman when he became the starter. Not really different than whoever gets the ball in September.......

Reactions: Tx64
All 5 plus Cooper. I hate to even have this conversation. That said, who has gotten real practice in the Fall? Luke was a RS freshman when he became the starter. Not really different than whoever gets the ball in September.......

I do not know who I missed, but with Cooper in Spring practice I was definitely including him. I think for a number of reasons he is going to be special. We have had 4 stars in the past that did not make it.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4

Hasn't he already announced he's going to UW?

If it's got to be a walk-on.....sounds like Bledsoe's got the job.

Hasn't he already announced he's going to UW?

Hasn’t made a decision yet. But I would think that he’d have to go to a quarter system since The Spring semester has already started. Unless he makes a decision early this week. Hoping he’s looking our way. We need the depth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT