ADVERTISEMENT

Jahad Woods

COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
I know it's popular to trash the Coug D but I'd like to give a shout out to Jahad. Outside of the freak #s Evan Weaver has put up at Cal, he's leading the Pac in tackles. If you ever have stood next to him, he's 5'9" tops. Guarantee he's been playing in a lot of pain and is still out there fighting and clawing on every play. Sure, he hasn't played perfect but you don't put up those kind of numbers without doing something right.

I also think Marcus Strong has done a pretty fair job at corner this year. Damn tough position to play, especially without much of a pass rush in a league built for passing.

I know it's popular to trash the Coug D but I'd like to give a shout out to Jahad. Outside of the freak #s Evan Weaver has put up at Cal, he's leading the Pac in tackles. If you ever have stood next to him, he's 5'9" tops. Guarantee he's been playing in a lot of pain and is still out there fighting and clawing on every play. Sure, he hasn't played perfect but you don't put up those kind of numbers without doing something right.

I also think Marcus Strong has done a pretty fair job at corner this year. Damn tough position to play, especially without much of a pass rush in a league built for passing.
Strong played Hodgins really well this week. I was afraid that guy was going to tear us up. My only issue with him this year is the number of times he’s played with his back to the ball, never even turning to find it. That issue is actually epidemic in our secondary. We’d have a lot more INTs if our DBs would just turn their heads.

Reactions: metprof
Strong played Hodgins really well this week. I was afraid that guy was going to tear us up. My only issue with him this year is the number of times he’s played with his back to the ball, never even turning to find it. That issue is actually epidemic in our secondary. We’d have a lot more INTs if our DBs would just turn their heads.
And a lot fewer PI's.
Agree with your assessment on Strong. He played well.

Jahad had a good game on Saturday. He may be playing hurt, nevertheless the amount of missed arm tackles and bad angles has been very noticeable. My bigger issue is with Justus Rogers. He is a liability. Hoping next year we see more Travion or Dom Sivels (if he comes back) playing along side Jahad.

The LB depth is very shallow. We should be using 2-3 of the remaining scholies on big, fast, tough HS linebackers.

Jahad had a good game on Saturday. He may be playing hurt, nevertheless the amount of missed arm tackles and bad angles has been very noticeable. My bigger issue is with Justus Rogers. He is a liability. Hoping next year we see more Travion or Dom Sivels (if he comes back) playing along side Jahad.

The LB depth is very shallow. We should be using 2-3 of the remaining scholies on big, fast, tough HS linebackers.
I'm thankful he has another year to play. Everyone looks better when they have a better supporting cast. Amen to 2 more big accomplished tacklers at linebacker.

Yeah feel bad for Jahad, he’s getting game planned because our other linebackers have played poorly and not made a lot of the routine plays that PP made last year. When you rack up all those tackles, and consistently are accounted for by the other teams O-Line since they know they can blow past the other linebackers, you’re going to whiff on some arm tackles.

Add Taylor and Nambdi as two huge disappointments this year. Neither of those guys have been noticeable when they both made quite a few plays last year.

If Rodgers hangs on the to ball Lutton threw right to him in the 4th quarter, the game is over, 2 plays later OSU scores, and then the onside kick. Then the interception by AG, a it looks bleak, so now we are down 11, when we could have been up by 18, if he just catches the ball. Rodgers was a QB in HS, it's a play he should make, if Justice Rodgers can just make one play, when it is handed to him, we wouldn't have had to endure all the anxiety in the 4th quarter.
I think Woods does a good job and would be even better with a strong supporting cast.

He had a good game, but he's really not great in coverage. There were a lot of completions to RBs on Saturday where he was chasing from 5-7 yards behind before the ball was even in the air.

He had a good game, but he's really not great in coverage. There were a lot of completions to RBs on Saturday where he was chasing from 5-7 yards behind before the ball was even in the air.
I don't doubt his heart, but I'm afraid his leading the team in tackles is a case of the tallest midget, as someone else was fond of saying around here.

I don't doubt his heart, but I'm afraid his leading the team in tackles is a case of the tallest midget, as someone else was fond of saying around here.
There's a little of that, and at this point I wonder about coaching too. He seemed to have a high motor and a lot of potential a couple years ago, when he filled in for the injured Pelleur. Doesn't really seem like he's reaching that potential though. Maybe he's dinged up, maybe he's playing out of position (a la Will Derting), or maybe he's being asked to do too much without help.

There's a little of that, and at this point I wonder about coaching too. He seemed to have a high motor and a lot of potential a couple years ago, when he filled in for the injured Pelleur. Doesn't really seem like he's reaching that potential though. Maybe he's dinged up, maybe he's playing out of position (a la Will Derting), or maybe he's being asked to do too much without help.
I see a lot of #3. He has no help. That wears on you after a while, especially when your opponent knows they only need to block you.

I see a lot of #3. He has no help. That wears on you after a while, especially when your opponent knows they only need to block you.
Maybe, but I've been paying pretty close attention to him and his tackling and positioning has been very poor.

If Rodgers hangs on the to ball Lutton threw right to him in the 4th quarter, the game is over, 2 plays later OSU scores, and then the onside kick. Then the interception by AG, a it looks bleak, so now we are down 11, when we could have been up by 18, if he just catches the ball. Rodgers was a QB in HS, it's a play he should make, if Justice Rodgers can just make one play, when it is handed to him, we wouldn't have had to endure all the anxiety in the 4th quarter.
I think Woods does a good job and would be even better with a strong supporting cast.

Justus Rogers. Will Rodgers, III.

Just saying. I don't want people going the way of Ed.

That would have been the turning point in the game if the rest of it happened differently.

I love the way that Jahad plays the game. He's a hard worker and dependable tackler in general. That said, 95's comment about his play in space and in coverage is no lie. He is just too darned slow to be an elite defender. He's a great tackler with a good nose for the football, but there have been at least 15 instances this season where he got smoked trying to cover a running back or tight end and looked like he was running in concrete shoes. Love the kid and appreciate what he does, but I wish he was a little faster.

Marcus Strong is a thoroughly average P5 corner. He's pretty fast, but that's negated by his inability to play the ball in the air. He's a willing tackler, but that's negated slightly by his size. He and Molton were both reasonably effective in the Cover 4 Grinch ran. When Claeys tried to ask more of them, they got torched.

Justus Rogers. Will Rodgers, III.

Just saying. I don't want people going the way of Ed.

That would have been the turning point in the game if the rest of it happened differently.
Will Rodgers should be playing at end, not tackle. Again, if we opened the AC with the jumbo Air Raid set on offense and a big 4 man front on defense (Misi, McDougle, Hobbs, Rodgers, with Woods and Brown behind them) and just hit the Huskies in the mouth, I'd love that. It might not work, but it'd get their attention after years of getting pushed around.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Will Rodgers should be playing at end, not tackle. Again, if we opened the AC with the jumbo Air Raid set on offense and a big 4 man front on defense (Misi, McDougle, Hobbs, Rodgers, with Woods and Brown behind them) and just hit the Huskies in the mouth, I'd love that. It might not work, but it'd get their attention after years of getting pushed around.

Unless they've been practicing a jumbo set on offense, there is no way that's going to happen.

I could see something that looks like a 4-2-5 of defense though, with two actual interior DTs. They've been running a goal line set that has two DTs.

Marcus Strong is a thoroughly average P5 corner. He's pretty fast, but that's negated by his inability to play the ball in the air. He's a willing tackler, but that's negated slightly by his size. He and Molton were both reasonably effective in the Cover 4 Grinch ran. When Claeys tried to ask more of them, they got torched.
There's been big parts of this season where he didn't even look average. But, he's basically being asked to cover the opponent's #1 receiver, and I think that's setting the bar pretty high. His cover skills are limited (especially when he fails to turn his head) so when he doesn't have a speed advantage it's trouble.

I'll still give him credit for Saturday though, he played Hodgins well enough to force Luton to look elsewhere. It's not Strong's fault that there were plenty of receivers open.

Reactions: random soul
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT