ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Jenkins

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Brand X has a scoop as to why Jenkins was cut, apparently from Jenkins himself. But the reason is behind their paywall.

Any Brand X subscriber that can enlighten us?

From the brief summary sounds like he was saying he was dismissed (or left) because of an injury. We all know that’s not the case, even chronically injured athletes don’t get dismissed mid season. Probably an undisclosed team rule or WSU athletics conduct violation we won’t find out about. Maybe he wasn’t going to class…who knows.

From the brief summary sounds like he was saying he was dismissed (or left) because of an injury. We all know that’s not the case, even chronically injured athletes don’t get dismissed mid season. Probably an undisclosed team rule or WSU athletics conduct violation we won’t find out about. Maybe he wasn’t going to class…who knows.
Missed practice because (he says) he was getting an X-ray and was suspended. Was told not be late or miss anything and was then late for treatment and dismissed. Also said he had some things to work on.

Last edited:
So, what you’re telling us is he’s another player who won’t take responsibility for his own actions and instead concocts a false story to make the coach look like the bad guy?

Reactions: ATACFD
Missed practice because (he says) he was getting an X-ray and was suspended. Was told not be late or miss anything and was then late for treatment and dismissed. Also said he had some things to work on.
BS. Team docs woulda scheduled it if it was football related. Coaches talk to trainers/docs about player injuries. Makes no sense. The missed a treatment part sure, but if that’s the case it wasn’t the first one. If you are injured and give a shit about getting back on the field you should be all over your treatment.

I agree. We had a guy on our team in high school who wrecked dirt bike one weekend and sprained his ankle and got some stiches in his leg. Instead of going to the coach and telling him that he was injured, he just skipped practice the whole week. When he came back he was pissed he was no longer a starter and had fallen to 3rd string. I get why he didn't want to tell coach how he got injured, but he made it worse by keeping it quiet. He didn't end up on 3rd string because he was hurt, he was on 3rd string for skipping practice.

This sounds similar. Perhaps Jenkins was injured and wanted a second opinion. Fine. Just talk to your coach.

I have inside knowledge from some things he was doing last year but not sure if it spilled over into this year. My close friend's son was on the team last year (he transferred but only because he was never going to see the field) and he had told me that JJ was constantly asking him to buy weed. My friend's son is over 21 and he isn't. He was asking so much that he finally wised up and told him no because he was putting himself at risk. Now, whether or not this was an issue I am not sure but I can only imagine this guy was probably taking it with him on road games and was told not to after being caught.

I can tell you for a fact there are two sets of rules for these guys...... The impact players and the players that will never see the field. My friend's son was constantly late to lifts and mandatory team meetings if not out right missing these things. He was never really disciplined explicitly but saw a diminished role on the team. The schollie players are definitely held to a much higher standard.

I can tell you for a fact there are two sets of rules for these guys...... The impact players and the players that will never see the field.
For all students, there are 3 sets of rules. Impact players, players, and the rest of the proletariat. I have some stories from my time as a TA about players ....

Listen, even professional athletes in the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB have conduct and punctuality expectations. If you're late for meetings, f-ing around at practice, slacking in the gym, you will get disciplined. Some franchises are more lax than others, but the good ones don't put up with that crap. The players on the roster don't tolerate slacking any more than the coaches do.

I have inside knowledge from some things he was doing last year but not sure if it spilled over into this year. My close friend's son was on the team last year (he transferred but only because he was never going to see the field) and he had told me that JJ was constantly asking him to buy weed. My friend's son is over 21 and he isn't. He was asking so much that he finally wised up and told him no because he was putting himself at risk. Now, whether or not this was an issue I am not sure but I can only imagine this guy was probably taking it with him on road games and was told not to after being caught.

I can tell you for a fact there are two sets of rules for these guys...... The impact players and the players that will never see the field. My friend's son was constantly late to lifts and mandatory team meetings if not out right missing these things. He was never really disciplined explicitly but saw a diminished role on the team. The schollie players are definitely held to a much higher standard.
If you can’t show up on time to something simple, how can I expect to depend on you to pick up a pass pro call in a tie game in front of 50K people? It’s really that simple. Hate to make assumptions about kids but this isn’t unexpected. Bottom line is his a kid and you hope he grows up and gets his head screwed on straight and makes something of his talent.

Sounds like he was disciplined to me. But there’s not a lot of point in wasting energy on kids that aren’t going to get off the scout team.

For all students, there are 3 sets of rules. Impact players, players, and the rest of the proletariat. I have some stories from my time as a TA about players ....
Friend of mine had a class with a well known QB. Didn’t know it until QB showed up (late) one day, a couple weeks into the semester, stayed for 20 minutes and left. MWF class, 15 week semester, they saw him 3-4 times. He stayed eligible…although that ended up being his last semester at WSU.

Other side of the coin, I had a class with a well known basketball player. He was there every day, taking his own notes.

Both of them went pro, neither needed their degree. But had very different approaches.

I’m also aware of a number of….mischievous…incidents perpetrated by another well known QB that never saw the light of day.

Friend of mine had a class with a well known QB. Didn’t know it until QB showed up (late) one day, a couple weeks into the semester, stayed for 20 minutes and left. MWF class, 15 week semester, they saw him 3-4 times. He stayed eligible…although that ended up being his last semester at WSU.

Other side of the coin, I had a class with a well known basketball player. He was there every day, taking his own notes.

Both of them went pro, neither needed their degree. But had very different approaches.

I’m also aware of a number of….mischievous…incidents perpetrated by another well known QB that never saw the light of day.
Hmmm... who could we be talking about in the mid 90s... I wonder.

This mirrors my best example. I was teaching a freshman math class (Math 107) and had a sophomore football player (big guy, D lineman). I didn't know he was on the team at the time. He rarely showed, but the professor for the sections didn't care about attendance. First test, he's looking and copying the answers of his buddy next to him. I tell him to move, and he flunks the test. I turn in the grades, and he somehow stays eligible and suits up. Next test comes along, and I figure maybe he won't cheat again. Sure enough, he's copying again, so I just grab his paper and tell him to leave. He shrugs and walks out.

I mention the guy not showing up, cheating, and flunking the tests. She tells me to go to the department and fill out a form to have him expelled from the class. I figure why not? Less hassle for me and for him. So I fill out the form and turn it in.

A couple of days later I get called into a meeting with the dean, the assistant dean, and the professor. They ask me to go ahead an fail him in the class, but to not push the disenrollment from the class. I was confused, and they said "He's a football player. If you drop him from the class, he'll fall below the minimum number of credits to remain eligible." They did say if I insisted, I could push it if I wanted, and they'd go through with it. I backed down, figuring he wasn't really a distraction, and he was gonna fail anyway. But I guarantee that no Average Joe student would get that treament. He wasn't even a starter, perhaps never saw the field. But the athletic department had enough sway to get their members special treament.

Funny thing is, the next semester he was bagging groceries at Dissmore's. He saw me and said "Hey prof! How's it going?" I figured he flunked out of school, and it was no skin off his nose.

(I have another one regarding a volleyball player. That girl was so dumb, I was shocked she ever made it out of high school.)

(I have another one regarding a volleyball player. That girl was so dumb, I was shocked she ever made it out of high school.)
This reminds me… a Prop 48 D-lineman lived in the same dorm as me and we crossed paths a few times. There was so little happening between his ears, I really wondered how he remembered to breathe on his own.

I don’t believe WSU was ever in the league of Craig James/Billy Joe Hobert shenanigans, but there were definitely things going on intended to keep athletes eligible that were not available to most students.

I had a few athletes in some of my classes when I taught at WSU, but they weren't any different than the broader student population. If anything, the students in lower profile sports (track, swimming, tennis, golf) were generally better students than average.

I had a few athletes in some of my classes when I taught at WSU, but they weren't any different than the broader student population. If anything, the students in lower profile sports (track, swimming, tennis, golf) were generally better students than average.
Absolutely true. I’m speaking only of the exceptions. I walked at graduation with a football player. We studied a lot together because he needed someone to do labs at crazy hours to accommodate his practices, meetings, etc. I asked him at one point why he struggled through both football and his EE degree, and he told me “I know I’m not going to the NFL and I can’t afford college without the scholarship. I want a job that will pay well.” Great guy.

I also had other athletes in the classes I taught. Most were fine. Just a few notable exceptions. And the treatment they get when they are the exception really highlights the disparity.

Reactions: random soul

Absolutely true. I’m speaking only of the exceptions. I walked at graduation with a football player. We studied a lot together because he needed someone to do labs at crazy hours to accommodate his practices, meetings, etc. I asked him at one point why he struggled through both football and his EE degree, and he told me “I know I’m not going to the NFL and I can’t afford college without the scholarship. I want a job that will pay well.” Great guy.

I also had other athletes in the classes I taught. Most were fine. Just a few notable exceptions. And the treatment they get when they are the exception really highlights the disparity.
Both of these reflect what I saw. I vaguely knew a girl who was a swimmer, and worked with 2 guys who went to WSU as baseball players but ended up as cheerleaders (apparently, when injuries ended their baseball careers, they could maintain their scholarships by joining cheer. Plus…girls.). They had only partial scholarships, and worked their butts off. The swimmer was one of the smartest people I knew at WSU - either a physics or Chen major and near a 4.0. The guy I knew better was a science major, worked 20 hours a week on campus, plus practice, and was always studying.

Now that I think about it, I also knew a golfer. Don’t know what her major was, but I know she graduated in 3.5 years and was working on a masters during her last year of competition. Couldn’t have been a dummy.

Both of these reflect what I saw. I vaguely knew a girl who was a swimmer, and worked with 2 guys who went to WSU as baseball players but ended up as cheerleaders (apparently, when injuries ended their baseball careers, they could maintain their scholarships by joining cheer. Plus…girls.). They had only partial scholarships, and worked their butts off. The swimmer was one of the smartest people I knew at WSU - either a physics or Chen major and near a 4.0. The guy I knew better was a science major, worked 20 hours a week on campus, plus practice, and was always studying.

Now that I think about it, I also knew a golfer. Don’t know what her major was, but I know she graduated in 3.5 years and was working on a masters during her last year of competition. Couldn’t have been a dummy.
One of the smartest people in my undergrad orbit was a 4.0ish ME major on the track team, and forever chill. Dude made it seem easy, even though we all knew better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT