ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal so far

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
So far...as of 12/8, we have 15 guys in the portal

Peter Eyabi - walk-on DE who's only appeared in one game.
David Johnson - two star DB who has only appeared in one game
Dominic Tatum - three star safety who transferred from Utah State but left the team in September
Rocky Shields - two star 2023 DL who left the program in August
Jaylen Jenkins - three star RB....he will be missed some.
Jacobus Seth - two star 2022 OL who hasn't appeared in a game.
Javan Robinson - three star DB who has been in 14 games
DT Sheffield - three star juco WR transfer who logged catches in two games
Kiwaun Davis - three star DB who hasn't been in any games.
Cam Ward - well, we know about him
Emmett Brown - walk on QB who is undersized and was never going to be a starter at WSU
Josh Kelly - Fresno State WR transfer that we are going to miss
Ahmad McCullough - LB transfer from Maryland. Injuries have limited him to special teams
Tristan Souza - walk on DT who has been a warm body in two games in four years
Luca Rodarte - long snapper with no appearances in two years

It's early days and there could be some surprises, but realistically, if this the list of dudes that we lose, WSU is going to be fine next year. Losing Jenkins hurts but running backs of his caliber are dime a dozen these days. Kelly is the only dude that we are losing that bugs me so far. Robinson robs us at depth at DB but he's a G5 player that wasn't a difference maker for us. A few of the other guys will also hurt our depth until we replace them but we won't miss them overall.

I hope this post ages well......:oops:

Reactions: COUGinNCW
It would be nice if this was it, and I hope it is, but we have almost another month to go. What concerns me, as teams don't fill the holes, they had hoped to, they start poaching, that's when we need to worry.

Reactions: Coug90
I agree, and it should be noted that Jenkins was kicked off of the team and several of those kids were walk-ons.

The portal is going to be frustrating for a lot of programs, including the blue-bloods. Whenever there is coaching turnover, controversy about playing time, locker room division, etc., there will be a lot of portal turnover. Generally though, if you create a positive culture and kids enjoy the University, they're not going to want to transfer in droves. They have friends, girlfriends, and get established in their routines. This is where I think WSU will benefit over many other programs. The whole "Go Cougs" thing whenever you see someone wearing WSU clothing is because most people who attended school in Pullman loved it.

We won't be able to keep up with the multi-million dollar NIL kids, but there are currently over 3,000 players in the portal. That's more of an opportunity for WSU than it is a liability. We have a great little football culture and a really fun campus experience. There are a lot of kids who would love to play for WSU.

So far...as of 12/8, we have 15 guys in the portal

Peter Eyabi - walk-on DE who's only appeared in one game.
David Johnson - two star DB who has only appeared in one game
Dominic Tatum - three star safety who transferred from Utah State but left the team in September
Rocky Shields - two star 2023 DL who left the program in August
Jaylen Jenkins - three star RB....he will be missed some.
Jacobus Seth - two star 2022 OL who hasn't appeared in a game.
Javan Robinson - three star DB who has been in 14 games
DT Sheffield - three star juco WR transfer who logged catches in two games
Kiwaun Davis - three star DB who hasn't been in any games.
Cam Ward - well, we know about him
Emmett Brown - walk on QB who is undersized and was never going to be a starter at WSU
Josh Kelly - Fresno State WR transfer that we are going to miss
Ahmad McCullough - LB transfer from Maryland. Injuries have limited him to special teams
Tristan Souza - walk on DT who has been a warm body in two games in four years
Luca Rodarte - long snapper with no appearances in two years

It's early days and there could be some surprises, but realistically, if this the list of dudes that we lose, WSU is going to be fine next year. Losing Jenkins hurts but running backs of his caliber are dime a dozen these days. Kelly is the only dude that we are losing that bugs me so far. Robinson robs us at depth at DB but he's a G5 player that wasn't a difference maker for us. A few of the other guys will also hurt our depth until we replace them but we won't miss them overall.

I hope this post ages well......:oops:
Outstanding job!!!! Defining the carnage makes everything better. Good job!

It would be nice if this was it, and I hope it is, but we have almost another month to go. What concerns me, as teams don't fill the holes, they had hoped to, they start poaching, that's when we need to worry.
Yup. No different than recruiting. All the big programs are on the same big time kids to upgrade their spots. Once those kids commit they will go down their list and start filling holes with the best available talent. That’s when we will see several more key guys enter the portal because they will start getting calls from schools who lost out on their original targets.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I agree, and it should be noted that Jenkins was kicked off of the team and several of those kids were walk-ons.

The portal is going to be frustrating for a lot of programs, including the blue-bloods. Whenever there is coaching turnover, controversy about playing time, locker room division, etc., there will be a lot of portal turnover. Generally though, if you create a positive culture and kids enjoy the University, they're not going to want to transfer in droves. They have friends, girlfriends, and get established in their routines. This is where I think WSU will benefit over many other programs. The whole "Go Cougs" thing whenever you see someone wearing WSU clothing is because most people who attended school in Pullman loved it.

We won't be able to keep up with the multi-million dollar NIL kids, but there are currently over 3,000 players in the portal. That's more of an opportunity for WSU than it is a liability. We have a great little football culture and a really fun campus experience. There are a lot of kids who would love to play for WSU.
Fun campus experience? Aside from drinking way too much, getting too stoned and chasing too much tail, and occasionally being thrown in jail and getting in bar fights, I just had my snout buried in accounting books for 4 years. How is that fun?

It could be much worse so far, and that is encouraging. I share some of the misgivings some have regarding the possibility of additional poaching and losses, though.

Yup. No different than recruiting. All the big programs are on the same big time kids to upgrade their spots. Once those kids commit they will go down their list and start filling holes with the best available talent. That’s when we will see several more key guys enter the portal because they will start getting calls from schools who lost out on their original targets.

I thought that was considered tampering and not allowed?

🤣🤣🤣

I think the worst departures to the portal have come and gone. Important to note neither Chau Smith-Wade or Jaden Hicks are expected back next year.

There is a truck load of talent in the portal already and I wouldn't be throwing myself into that mix if I had a spot secured. We will suffer through more tampering on our roster come spring ball as teams get a better sense of what they need.

NIL is leading to some kids getting left in the cold. Collectives are making offers to kids if they sign and coaches are dropping out. We lost a silent verbal earlier this year to ASU and this kid got dropped and signed with BSU. Imagine having a spot secured on a roster only to get promised a bag which doesn't arrive once you portal. That's the risk all these players are making. For Cam Ward and Josh Kelly, they know the market will be strong enough to ensure they get paid. But most of our roster risks getting left in the cold by all of this should they portal.

Reactions: kougkurt and Coug90
I thought that was considered tampering and not allowed?

🤣🤣🤣
not when the portal is officially open.

However, CW having alleged offers from 10 schools before 12/4 would be tampering, so let me lay it out for you:

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT