ADVERTISEMENT

JC football returns to the Tri-Cities

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008

Kind of got me wondering for all of us old timers out there, when was the last time WSU had a good JC player on the team that went to a JC in the state of washington? Probably going to have to go back to the 70s to find one.

Kind of got me wondering for all of us old timers out there, when was the last time WSU had a good JC player on the team that went to a JC in the state of washington? Probably going to have to go back to the 70s to find one.
Jeff Christensen from Mead/SCC played WR on the RPM teams.

Probably some Walla Walla CC kids after that.

Reactions: 79COUG

Weren't Christians slaughtered by the gladiators?

Jeff Christensen from Mead/SCC played WR on the RPM teams.

Probably some Walla Walla CC kids after that.
Walla Walla managed to bring in quite a few Samoan linemen in the late 80s-early 90s, and I think a couple of them ended up on the Palouse. I want to say maybe Don Sasa was one of them, but I could be wrong there. One who did spend time at WWCC was Kimo von Oelhoffen - he went to Boise State and I think played against us, and then ended up spending several years with the Steelers, Eagles, and Jets.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug

Didn't the Cougs have some players that left Pullman and spent time working on grades at a JC? Maybe they didn't play though. For some reason I am thinking that Mark Fields and Leon Bender may have gone the WSU-JC-WSU route. Not at all sure about that though.

Steve Morton by way of Grays Harbor CC played center and guard in 73 and 74. Offensive line coach for the Cougars (17 years), UW (7), Stanford (5), Nevada, Weber State, Iowa State and USC. Now the OL coach at Portland State.

Reactions: 79COUG
Didn't the Cougs have some players that left Pullman and spent time working on grades at a JC? Maybe they didn't play though. For some reason I am thinking that Mark Fields and Leon Bender may have gone the WSU-JC-WSU route. Not at all sure about that though.
Yes on Leon. I honestly don't remember on Fields.

Yep, all three were there.
I enjoyed those guys. Coop was a creative fundraiser for that program. He put on a Wenatchee vs Eastmont alumni football game for a few years in the early 80's to raise money for the Knights program. I played in it all 3 years. It was a blast. Full pads, full contact, big crowd. Like I said, he was creative.

I enjoyed those guys. Coop was a creative fundraiser for that program. He put on a Wenatchee vs Eastmont alumni football game for a few years in the early 80's to raise money for the Knights program. I played in it all 3 years. It was a blast. Full pads, full contact, big crowd. Like I said, he was creative.
Coop considered himself a "player" driving around in a vw bug said otherwise. I will say this, he was a bad ass racquetball player and had a ton of energy both on and off the field. Did you go to Wenatchee or Eastmont? What year did you graduate?

The coaches were great for the most part. Gene Baker the Dline coach was one of my favorites. Old school! His players loved him. Murio was a very good O Coordinator.

Coop considered himself a "player" driving around in a vw bug said otherwise. I will say this, he was a bad ass racquetball player and had a ton of energy both on and off the field. Did you go to Wenatchee or Eastmont? What year did you graduate?

The coaches were great for the most part. Gene Baker the Dline coach was one of my favorites. Old school! His players loved him. Murio was a very good O Coordinator.
Eastmont...79
Played against Bakers defense while he was still at WHS. Tough as nails, just like Gene.

Walla Walla managed to bring in quite a few Samoan linemen in the late 80s-early 90s, and I think a couple of them ended up on the Palouse. I want to say maybe Don Sasa was one of them, but I could be wrong there. One who did spend time at WWCC was Kimo von Oelhoffen - he went to Boise State and I think played against us, and then ended up spending several years with the Steelers, Eagles, and Jets.
Dorian Boose

Was Gradwohl on your team ?

Eastmont...79
Played against Bakers defense while he was still at WHS. Tough as nails, just like Gene.
Eastmont had some strong baseball teams in the early 80's (if I remember correctly). Ouir DB group did the Ridge to River relay Spring of 83. I really enjoyed going to school at WVCC. Lots of talent in that part of Washington .........and this time I am not talking baseball.

Eastmont had some strong baseball teams in the early 80's (if I remember correctly). Ouir DB group did the Ridge to River relay Spring of 83. I really enjoyed going to school at WVCC. Lots of talent in that part of Washington .........and this time I am not talking baseball.
Yea, we had a strong program. Dan White and Jim Hannah were the coaches. State champs in 81. Hannah was Ron Cey's roommate at WSU. Played catcher for the Royals till he blew his knee out. Still run into him and Dan at Coug games.
And yes, some excellent talent in NCW...corn fed farmers daughters!

The old Ridge to River……..do they still do that.

Dan Smith was an offensive lineman out of East High School in Bremerton (class of ‘71?) and Olympic Community College who played at WSU in the early to mid 1970’s. If I remember correctly, Dan had preseason with the New York Giants and then a cup of coffee with the Seahawks in 1976 or 1977. I think Dan’s coach at Olympic College was the late Lynn Rosenbaugh - Tim’s dad.

Dan Smith was an offensive lineman out of East High School in Bremerton (class of ‘71?) and Olympic Community College who played at WSU in the early to mid 1970’s. If I remember correctly, Dan had preseason with the New York Giants and then a cup of coffee with the Seahawks in 1976 or 1977. I think Dan’s coach at Olympic College was the late Lynn Rosenbaugh - Tim’s dad.
Yep Lynn used to coach at Olympic. His last words to Timm were "you better have the lawn mowed when I get home" (true story). Lynn was a great guy. He died in the arms of Dennis Erickson and Bill Moos on a return trip from a golf tourney in the Tri Cities (aorta burst).

Another less reputable coach from Olympic was the snake oil salesman turncoat Dick Baird. Dude is/was a true sleezeball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT