ADVERTISEMENT

JDL is letting his feelings be known....

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
I'll always appreciate JDL for saving what would have been a sure 2-10 season least year, but his recent Instagram post is very disappointing. I mean, if you can't handle the alumni/media pressures of Pullman, WA; particularly after you got suspended for a DUI, what other D1 cities are going to be more forgiving?

Here's his Instagram post.

"And they found you amusing for awhile..

The people of this city, but the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail..

Fall, die trying...in spite of everything you've done for them..

Eventually, they will hate you."

Amusing for a While

Too bad. I probably would take a lot of things personally if I was in his shoes, too, but what he'll probably realize is that no matter where he goes and what level he plays at, there will be some fans who give you grief. In this case, it probably was a small number of idiots from Die Hard Cougs or something like that, but on social media, it looks like WSU fans as a whole suddenly have it out for the guy. Part of the maturation process as a public figure is putting criticism in context, to the extent it can't just be ignored completely. I wish him the best when he's not playing the Cougs.

JDL is a whiner. Nobody likes a whiner. I don't have it out for the guy but he may have received a nice ovation coming back to town

2022 game is in Tucson

JDL is a whiner. Nobody likes a whiner. I don't have it out for the guy but he may have received a nice ovation coming back to town

2022 game is in Tucson
Nov 19. I will be there!

AZ plays at UW on Oct 15. Probably a few UW players who can't wait to get their licks in on JDL. Then again probably not, since they all transferred out in the past 3 months.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
In my career I've had a couple instances where I was very bitter regarding my previous place of employment (and rightfully so, imo). I learned early on to keep my mouth shut when asked about it. Just smile and say things didn't work out and let people read between the lines.
If these athletes want to be treated like a professional then they need to learn to act like it.

I'm sure that JDL considers himself a "man", so he needs to man-the-f-up and either: keep his mouth closed and be happy with his new situation or call out directly who and/or what he's referring to.

Being vague like that is so passive aggressive and immature; I wish these kids had better mentors than the big-baby sports figures that tend to dominate social snd sports media.

In my career I've had a couple instances where I was very bitter regarding my previous place of employment (and rightfully so, imo). I learned early on to keep my mouth shut when asked about it. Just smile and say things didn't work out and let people read between the lines.
If these athletes want to be treated like a professional then they need to learn to act like it.
Yup- and when the fairness gods eventually smile (and they always do), the satisfaction is delicious.

Reactions: 79COUG
He is not as good as he is made out to be or thinks he is. “Hero?” That’s laughable.

He should keep running his mouth. If there is anyone in the league that knows how to stop him it’s the DC of his last program. He would be wise to stfu. But he’s a dipshit. So prob won’t happen.

Reactions: sellas
Perhaps, but they didn't high tail it out of Pullman. They finished their careers as Cougars.

Glad Cougar
All three would've fled had the portal been around.

And reading the article now on Rypien quitting, suggests some problems on the team.

Too bad. I probably would take a lot of things personally if I was in his shoes, too, but what he'll probably realize is that no matter where he goes and what level he plays at, there will be some fans who give you grief. In this case, it probably was a small number of idiots from Die Hard Cougs or something like that, but on social media, it looks like WSU fans as a whole suddenly have it out for the guy. Part of the maturation process as a public figure is putting criticism in context, to the extent it can't just be ignored completely. I wish him the best when he's not playing the Cougs.
de Laura wrote. “I want to thank all those who supported me throughout this very difficult time, from my teammates, coaches, attorneys and especially my family. That’s when he was arrested now with his wha wha post the shit storm has started and he better prepare himself. I guess Coug nation didn’t support the super hero back then.

Frankly, I don't care what his feelings are. He's gone.

I don't have anything in particular against him, but I think it's becoming more and more clear that he has maturity issues. I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is, or as good as Rolo thought he was. He could be, he's got a lot of potential, but again....maturity. If he put all the pieces together, he could be one of the greats.

He didn't put the pieces together before he left. Another kid that started for a couple years and had a few good games, but never became significant. Aaron Garcia is the closest approximation I can think of, except that Aaron ended up gaining significance in the arena league. If JDL doesn't put the pieces together, doesn't do something at UA or land in a pro league....he'll be a blip, and in 10 years most Coug fans won't even be able to remember who the starter was in 2021.

I don't have anything in particular against him, but I think it's becoming more and more clear that he has maturity issues. I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is, or as good as Rolo thought he was. He could be, he's got a lot of potential, but again....maturity. If he put all the pieces together, he could be one of the greats.

He didn't put the pieces together before he left. Another kid that started for a couple years and had a few good games, but never became significant. Aaron Garcia is the closest approximation I can think of, except that Aaron ended up gaining significance in the arena league. If JDL doesn't put the pieces together, doesn't do something at UA or land in a pro league....he'll be a blip, and in 10 years most Coug fans won't even be able to remember who the starter was in 2021.
CML recruited him, not Rolo.

I chalk it up to youth. If he thinks every day is going to be like Apple Cup, he needs a reality check. Sports mirrors life. You have those moments and then you have moments like the bowl game that you just grind through.

If he played the second half and left I would have cared he left, but he chose not to play. And people can tell me about a lower leg injursy, and maybe he did get injured but it would have been on the sideline if you look at his last throw of the half he had zero problem scrambling to his left and throwing the ball.

So I hope good health for the kid and finds happiness. Nothing more, nothing less.

I chalk it up to youth. If he thinks every day is going to be like Apple Cup, he needs a reality check. Sports mirrors life. You have those moments and then you have moments like the bowl game that you just grind through.

If he played the second half and left I would have cared he left, but he chose not to play. And people can tell me about a lower leg injursy, and maybe he did get injured but it would have been on the sideline if you look at his last throw of the half he had zero problem scrambling to his left and throwing the ball.

So I hope good health for the kid and finds happiness. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yup, no matter where you are at, someone always has it better than you and someone always has it worse than you. There’s always going to be competition and you have choices and those around you have choices. Sounds like he’s doing an awful lot of worrying about stuff he can’t control. He’s talented and has some leadership qualities but he’s definitely got some maturing yet to do. I still don’t wish him I’ll will but wouldn’t need to if he can’t get that stuff out of his head.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
He should just take his 300k and leave it at that. I think he’s trying to manufacture motivation. Most of the team and fans are kind to him about his decisions.

He is a street ball qb. A poor man’s Kahlil Tate.

All these kids UA signed could get on the field early for a 1-11 team…. Will UA be able to compete when SC and UCLA start offering kids $$$ to come back to LA??? Easy come, easy go… right back to 1-11.

If JDL can't handle the pressure of Pullman's big city lights, maybe he'd be a better fit in a small town like Austin, Tuscaloosa or Columbus. On second thought, have a solid academic plan

He is a street ball qb. A poor man’s Kahlil Tate.

All these kids UA signed could get on the field early for a 1-11 team…. Will UA be able to compete when SC and UCLA start offering kids $$$ to come back to LA??? Easy come, easy go… right back to 1-11.
UA has been paying hoopsters for decades and has the infrastructure to ramp up NIL pretty well for their other sports initially.

Kids can overcome immaturity issues at certain positions, but at the QB position, you almost always have guys who are grounded and level headed. If JDL is going to take the next step in his career, he's going to have to address this issue.

Just talked with my kid. Seems as though he forgot where he came from in regards to all of his poly friends. Ryan leaf syndrome. By the time the season came to an end he was not very well liked on campus.

Bitterness at how things worked out can take a while to work through. Speaking from experience. But what you say and how you say it after the fact is very important to what follows. As 79 suggested, sometimes you have to bite your tongue and take the high road. Or, perhaps suggest you were disappointed in how it all turned out, but that you wish the organization the best, even if you have an individual or two with whom you disagree. To go much farther than that just makes you look like a wuss. No benefit to that trade-off. JdL has not figured that out yet. I hope he figures it out soon, for his own sake.

Reactions: 79COUG
Just talked with my kid. Seems as though he forgot where he came from in regards to all of his poly friends. Ryan leaf syndrome. By the time the season came to an end he was not very well liked on campus.
That would explain why the team seemed to play for the walk-on better than they did for JDL in the bowl game.

Reactions: mikalalas
WSU doesn’t like superhero’s we like villains

doesn't really jive with the performance of him and the team in the Apple Cup though

Wonder if JDL and Kyler Murray got together and cried in their beers at the same time?

Remember when it was unacceptable to be a gigantic twat? Like, TO was the only one in the league for a while. Now each team has at least one entitled, over-privileged man-child. So happy that its trickling down to college too!

Wonder if JDL and Kyler Murray got together and cried in their beers at the same time?

Remember when it was unacceptable to be a gigantic twat? Like, TO was the only one in the league for a while. Now each team has at least one entitled, over-privileged man-child. So happy that its trickling down to college too!
We had one in the White House for 4 years, you really surprised it is happening in college football?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT