ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Moore's thoughts

Four points in response:

1. The Pac 12 is brutal with very good coaches.
2. WSU has some particular and unique challenges to overcome.
3. Anyone who makes the kind of cash that D1 coaches get deserve aggressive criticism when they make dumb mistakes.
4. We are now competitive, but I have serious doubts that Leach will get us to bowl games with regularity (reference points 1 and 2 above).

Jim Moore is just another ignorant fan that believes and has used this foolish argument: " If we pay a coach 2 million a year he should win right away, we could pay someone (i.e. prior coach) $600,000 a year and have this record"

First of all if you want to win consistently you have to pay a guy 2 million or more a year, secondly the talent to win consistently was no where in sight when Leach arrived, we are getting there but it takes time, when Leach arrived the team was full of players just happy to be playing in the pac 12, it takes a while to turn that roster into players that belong in the Pac 12, many fans like Moore don't get that.

The Cougs have one of the best offenses in the nation, Defense and special teams need some work to say the least, and contrary to what Moore and his fans think, the staff actually knows that. Look at the recruiting class, these holes are being filled, but once again it takes a while.

Overall I am pleased with Leach at this point, sure I have issues with a few things, and I do believe he has to have a winning season next year, which I feel they will attain, or things become more difficult for Leach and Moos.

"Did it start two years ago with an interview that went poorly with him? Probably. Is it personal? Probably."

Some "journalist". He's as bad as Walden. Honestly there needs to be a grumpy drunk old coug retirement home where they should all be shipped out to.

As I pointed out here earlier Mike Price won 13 games his first 3 years. And he took over a 9-3 bowl team.

Leach has won 12 games and took over a 4-7 9 wins the previous 4 years team.

Both weren't handed ideal situations, but both were able to find small pieces of success to build on.

"wow our special teams were bad" - well maybe we should fire the coach. Oh wait. Leach did. In the middle of the season.

"our defense is bad" - Won't surprise me that we will get a new one at the end of the year.

You hire a coach to make your program better and improve. Leach has done that, and the one thing I love about Leach more than our past coaches is accountability, honesty, and the problems are very clear. It's not one of those "well what's wrong. We have no idea" Kind of regime.

If the offensive line is bad then we will give up a lot of sacks. The offensive line has improved tremendously and while they have slip ups occasionally they are WAY WAY better.

It was clear his first year the unit was an issue. And after a few years working on it we are headed to have one of our best and deepest roster to date.

It's clear and obvious the special teams and defense are poor, and staff changes will happen / 1 has already happened. So what do you want? A coach that instantly will come in and make WSU world beaters?

It's not going to happen in this conference at this level with our resources. If just will not happen.

We spent 15.7 Million on football in 2013. That's what we spent.

UW? 29.0 Million almost DOUBLE what we spent.
USC 30 Million

Stanford "we are an academic school we don't spend money on athletics"... 20.8 a full 5 million dollars (or about 2 Leach's more).

And yet Leach has beat 2 of those teams in the past 3 years. So will Leach get it done? Yeah he will. Is Jim Moore still the ole drunk washed out doesn't know his ass from his face "coug". Yeah he still is.

^^Solid post. Moore epitomizes the ignorant masses. Leach certainly deserves criticism for this season, but you can see tangible progress within the program. How quickly people forget WSU vastly exceeded expectations last year. I fully expect Leach to address defense and special teams this offseason. We'll be fine.

replay the Jim Moore video after Leach was hired. I believe he was a little excited. Now he claims he never liked him.

You kerp comparing Leach to Price but its obvious you weren't even old enough to watch football back then.

There is nothing on the defensive side of the ball that is even close to resembling the defense Price had in yr 4.

We have won 3 games so far this yr with a sr qb with tons of experience..including only scoring 13 against Nevada.

He is the one who hired Breske in the first place...which was a curious hire from the start.

Bottom line, Moos didn't hire Leach to win only 3 games in yr 3 with a team that is a disaster on special teams...and horrible on D.

Jim Moore needs to grow up and get over his butt-hurt from two years ago when CML did not like Jim's immature act during an interview.

My question to Moore is, who should we hire? I'm fine with objection, but give me a name that would be better. If you can't so that, then stfu.

Moore is mad at Leach because Moore acted like an idiot in an interview two years ago and can't get over it.

It least he can halfway admit it.

I'm curious why Jim Moore is even such a lightning rod. He is dreck; the absolute worst of Coug fandom. If the Cougs win it's in-your-face Coug arrogance; if we lose he's ready to trade Mike Leach And as much as I hate the Huskies, the way in which Jim Moore expresses his feelings on the rivalry makes me ill. Zero intelligence and zero grace.

I don't know if anyone listens to the "Cold Hard Facts with John Clayton" Seahawks segment on 710, but Jim Moore is a space cadet with zero football knowledge and a bad gambling habit. The gang on that show will be having an interesting conversation about Russell Wilson's throwing mechanics or about guard performance in recent games, and Jim will stay silent until he talks about what the "line" came out at for KC, or the under/over--like he's hammering show paychecks just to get a second opinion on his sports betting.

He is an embarrassment and a fool, and that is not a controversial statement.

I find it interesting that most of the people who don't like Leach's approach to interviews are journalists. Some real journalists; some self-appointed; but those seem to be the source of most of the complaints.

As to his approach to coaching the team, I suspect that the product we would put on the field tomorrow would be better than last year's, if Halliday were able to play. Without him, we are probably a coin flip with last year's team, and that is saying something about the improvement in various areas.

The talent level continues to improve. The wins will follow.

405...let me ask you....If three years ago someone said wager 30k

and the over under win an average of 5 games a year, would you have picked the under at 4? If you thought Mike Leach and staff were going to win less games in year one that the previous coach, go to a bowl game but be under .500 year two, and 4-8 in year three, there is not one person who saw that.

And his offense is average in the Pac 12. While when he took over I thought it was a virtual certainty we would go bowling the first three years, I am hopeful he goes bowling year in and year out starting 2016.

I like Jim Moore. There, I wrote it....

I do like Jim Moore. However, I like him for what he is. He is interesting at times and frustrating at times. There are so many in his profession that are complete slime. He isn't. He is honest to a fault. Too honest with his feelings for his own good.

He does not have a filter. He doesn't have common sense either and is not logical. But, that is what makes Jim, Jim. Don't take him too seriously and he is fine to listen to or read. Yes, I shake my head at him at times. Reading this article is one of those times.

Still, he definitely is a Cougar through and through. Remember I wrote that he does not have common sense, nor is he logical. I know other Cougars like him. They are anything but perfect. They know they aren't. But, they want perfection from the teams they follow. They are neurotic. They are neurotic. They are neurotic.

Where are we so much better? We have better depth at Oline.

Our secondary is a mess. Linebackers not much better although Allison made strides. Dline unable to get off blocks consistently and get pressure on the QB consistently. Now if you have seen and could tell me the guys redshirting are better than the guys starting, and that despite being inexperienced they will be more successful than the guys starting, we may be looking at a young team again in 2015, and the growth really is 2016.

Re: Where are we so much better? We have better depth at Oline.

In a 34 defense it isn't the DL that pressures the QB. To write that they can't pressure the qb as if it is because of their lack of skill is incorrect. They don't pressure the qb because it isn't their responsibility in that scheme. If there isn't pressure on the qb it is because of the linebackers.

Re: Where are we so much better- On offense Ed

Compare the stats with 2011 if you like, or 2010. And only someone that doesn't understand what the term average means would use it to describe this offense.

This post was edited on 11/29 6:31 AM by dgibbons

Don't forget your law of historical fact and probability!

Sophomore QB = losing season.

Re: Don't forget your law of historical fact and probability!

Originally posted by dgibbons:
Sophomore QB = losing season.
that's right, the iron laws state that , at WSU you must have an upperclassman at QB to win. these facts are etched on stone tablets kept on funk and wagnalls porch

I wonder how many winning seasons WSU has produced with a sophomore qb in the last say, 40 years. Anybody know?

My biggest issue is JM saying "We". When "We" have success again, when "We" go to bowl games. Yeah, so you're an alum. That doesn't make you a member of the team, which is what you are if you say "we".

The day is coming, soon.

1...and offense was anemic. Good thing we had the #1 defense in the nation. That is something we can always count on when we have a soon qb.

Good thing longtime and dgibbons aren't financial advisors. They would be putting their clients in investments that had a positive ROI only once in the last 40 yrs!

Originally posted by SideWaysDown:
My biggest issue is JM saying "We". When "We" have success again, when "We" go to bowl games. Yeah, so you're an alum. That doesn't make you a member of the team, which is what you are if you say "we".

The day is coming, soon.
sorry, this isn't a true statement at all. I like what you write Sideways but, you missed the mark here.

;

Originally posted by How_did_this_happen?:
Four points in response:

1. The Pac 12 is brutal with very good coaches.
2. WSU has some particular and unique challenges to overcome.
3. Anyone who makes the kind of cash that D1 coaches get deserve aggressive criticism when they make dumb mistakes.
4. We are now competitive, but I have serious doubts that Leach will get us to bowl games with regularity (reference points 1 and 2 above).
Exactly on point. And I may add that one's Cougness needn't be questioned when delivering objective criticism.

I'm sure your investments in those typewriter manufacturers are paying off big.

Nah..they have a track record about as good as Frosh and Soph qbs at WSU.

That investment would be right up your alley though.

Eight track is the future man....

This is some "Wolf of Wall Street" level stuff. I just can't wait till mid-January, when I can sell my pumpkin futures.

Re: I like Jim Moore. There, I wrote it....

Originally posted by Coug1990:
I do like Jim Moore. However, I like him for what he is. He is interesting at times and frustrating at times. There are so many in his profession that are complete slime. He isn't. He is honest to a fault. Too honest with his feelings for his own good.

He does not have a filter. He doesn't have common sense either and is not logical. But, that is what makes Jim, Jim. Don't take him too seriously and he is fine to listen to or read. Yes, I shake my head at him at times. Reading this article is one of those times.

Still, he definitely is a Cougar through and through. Remember I wrote that he does not have common sense, nor is he logical. I know other Cougars like him. They are anything but perfect. They know they aren't. But, they want perfection from the teams they follow. They are neurotic. They are neurotic. They are neurotic.
Moore is ignorant as a "fan" of our football program(and a journalist), and is loyal to individuals to a fault.

He has a cute schtick when writing about the Huskies and the old "woe is us" Coug mentality that Moos and Floyd are trying to deconstruct from our fanbase, and insists on perpetuating that old loser mentality. His tenure as a sports writer gives him carte blanche to take whatever position he wants, and unfortunately he takes one of being against most things that are going on right now with our program. It's counterproductive, and a continued embarrassment for a guy in Seattle to be giving fodder to our rivals.

"Look, even the Coug writer thinks their program is a joke".

Re: I like Jim Moore. There, I wrote it....

Originally posted by CrimsonWazzu:
Originally posted by Coug1990:

Moore is ignorant as a "fan" of our football program(and a journalist), and is loyal to individuals to a fault.

He has a cute schtick when writing about the Huskies and the old "woe is us" Coug mentality that Moos and Floyd are trying to deconstruct from our fanbase, and insists on perpetuating that old loser mentality. His tenure as a sports writer gives him carte blanche to take whatever position he wants, and unfortunately he takes one of being against most things that are going on right now with our program. It's counterproductive, and a continued embarrassment for a guy in Seattle to be giving fodder to our rivals.

"Look, even the Coug writer thinks their program is a joke".
I cannot disagree with this also. He is what he is. He is a contradiction, that is for sure. He criticizes Leach for how he treats his players, yet two years ago Moore talks about how he left his 8 year old twin sons alone outside while he went into a country club bar to drink.

I don't agree with Moore's personal biases. He liked Wulff as a person, and dislikes Leach as a person. That shouldn't be brought into the mix here, but then again, it is an editorial piece.

Taking all of that stuff out....I share Moore's opinion on being critical of the Leach era through year 3. I was expecting more. I think we all were. OK, he took us to a bowl game. But we choked that game away and still finished the season with a losing record.

I'm still on board with Leach, and he made all of the moves I was hoping he'd make this season with regard to the coaching staff. The special teams and defensive side of the ball were awful. If we bounce back and finish at .500 next season, I'll be pleased. If we stop falling behind by 30 points at home, I'll be pleased. If we actually win SOME of our home games, I'll be pleased.

Thus far, the Leach era has been a major disappointment. Compounding matters is the fact that Leach acts like a complete turd whenever the camera is rolling. That doesn't bother me personally, but I know it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. When you're winning, you can get away with that. When you're 3-9......

Not interested in Moore's insights..... If I want to be entertained by a clown, I'd go to the circus.

Longtime, you forgot the part about being hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar. The rest of the Funk and Wagnalls metaphor was fine.

There's a whole bunch of young'uns quickly googling this… A "publishing" company… You old fart, you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT