ADVERTISEMENT

JRod

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
Damn, keep expecting him to perform in big time situations

I have never seen a batter more disrespected by a pitcher than what Neris did to him last night. You’ve gotta drop the bat and go after him don’t you? Maybe that’s not the new generations game🤷‍♂️

• Wow
Reactions: M-I-Coug
Damn, keep expecting him to perform in big time situations

I have never seen a batter more disrespected by a pitcher than what Neris did to him last night. You’ve gotta drop the bat and go after him don’t you? Maybe that’s not the new generations game🤷‍♂️

I give him a lot of props for keeping his cool. Not much of a chance to get in now but they still could if they can sweep TX. Need a dialed in JRod for that, if he was suspended for going after Nero it would be season over.

But yeah I’d expect more fireworks in this rivalry next year, these things have a way of carrying over to the next year in bball. Neris is a F’n punk, and the Astros have been an instigator before throwing at guys. Hopefully the Ms make some moves to get over the hump, they need some dudes who are clutch with the bat, these RISP issues are beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I give him a lot of props for keeping his cool. Not much of a chance to get in now but they still could if they can sweep TX. Need a dialed in JRod for that, if he was suspended for going after Nero it would be season over.

But yeah I’d expect more fireworks in this rivalry next year, these things have a way of carrying over to the next year in bball. Neris is a F’n punk, and the Astros have been an instigator before throwing at guys. Hopefully the Ms make some moves to get over the hump, they need some dudes who are clutch with the bat, these RISP issues are beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, but Neris is a FA next year won’t be the same. Go after him and let Ford finish the season as DH, move Kelnic to center. We aren’t sweeping Texas, show some fire against those arrogant Astros.

Reactions: Coug90
Yeah, but Neris is a FA next year won’t be the same. Go after him and let Ford finish the season as DH, move Kelnic to center. We aren’t sweeping Texas, show some fire against those arrogant Astros.
Here’s the thing. Game was 4-3 at the time. You don’t like it do something about it. Teoscar whiffs on a fly ball hit to him like a little leaguer to go with his crap day at the plate, Ms pitchers serve up a couple meat balls and Julio Ks again the next time he’s up with 2 more on base.

We are the Astros’ bitch until we prove otherwise. I think that game last night was a microcosm of a lack of mental fortitude for this team. 1-13 RISP…again? They are the worst team I’ve ever seen with guys on base. Literally nobody who can hit in the clutch.

Reactions: 79COUG
No, you don't go after a guy with a bat because he struck you out and called you a slur while moving aggressively toward you. I like how Julio handled it. He didn't just take it but he didn't do anything to get tossed or suspended, either.

No, you don't go after a guy with a bat because he struck you out and called you a slur while moving aggressively toward you. I like how Julio handled it. He didn't just take it but he didn't do anything to get tossed or suspended, either.
Of course you don’t go after him with a bat. But the guy darn near charged Julio.

Of course you don’t go after him with a bat. But the guy darn near charged Julio.
Ah, I had read your post originally as saying he should go after him with the bat. But no, I don't think getting suckered into a fight, especially between the team's best player and a solid middle / high leverage reliever, is the smart play there.

Julio also has an image to protect. He's a young, fun superstar. He's actually a bit more aggressive than most of these types are. He's not a pussy but he's also not out Tommy Pham, Tim Anderson, or Rougned Odor. He got in on that fight against the Angels last year a little, but not that much.

When Valdez pegged someone last year, Julio was out there giving Valdez (a friend) shit for it, but not fighting him. (Root was showing this and implying Neris, who was there as well, wasn't a fan of it and led to what happened yesterday, by the way.)

Getting in full-on fights in baseball is pretty rare, despite what it seems like from the past couple years with the Astros and Angels.

How many brawls did Griffey get in? He probably would slink back to the dugout if the rest of the team was in a brawl. How about Soto, Tatis, Acuna, etc.? These guys aren't out there getting in fights. I think Julio handled it well. Go after him a bit and don't just take it, but don't run out there trying to punch a 230-pound pitcher with his whole infield and catcher converging, too, only to get tossed and suspended, because he comes at you and calls you a name after you struck out on three pitches in the biggest game of the year.

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem like the mariners style and I’m not a fan of it but plenty of teams would have plunked someone with a fastball once the game got out of hand.

Best way is to handle on the field like OR did against CU, but the Ms don’t have that type of swagger.

Look. In life we all have lines that are drawn in the sand. Whether it’s your wife, kids, home or personal property Even the law recognizes this If you shoot a guy that is in the throws of passion with your wife it’s a lesser charge than if you take him out on the street If Julio didn’t go after him then, you can make the argument that they should have taken the hockey route. Every team has an enforcer whose sole purpose is to protect the stars, let Haggerty or Woo take the “5 for fighting” instead or at the very least plunk Altuve in the ribs once the game got out of hand

If there are no consequences for “crossing the line” then it will continue to be crossed

Every college coach I’ve encountered over the years whether it be baseball, basketball or football asks a recruit a common question, and I’m sure Biggs can back me up here. Have you ever been in a fight. I want to fill my roster with a bunch of guys that are willing to fight, not take their ball and go home.

The Astros crossed that line.

Look. In life we all have lines that are drawn in the sand. Whether it’s your wife, kids, home or personal property Even the law recognizes this If you shoot a guy that is in the throws of passion with your wife it’s a lesser charge than if you take him out on the street If Julio didn’t go after him then, you can make the argument that they should have taken the hockey route. Every team has an enforcer whose sole purpose is to protect the stars, let Haggerty or Woo take the “5 for fighting” instead or at the very least plunk Altuve in the ribs once the game got out of hand

If there are no consequences for “crossing the line” then it will continue to be crossed

Every college coach I’ve encountered over the years whether it be baseball, basketball or football asks a recruit a common question, and I’m sure Biggs can back me up here. Have you ever been in a fight. I want to fill my roster with a bunch of guys that are willing to fight, not take their ball and go home.

The Astros crossed that line.
If it gets them to not leave the bases loaded with nobody out and no runs, I’m all for it. F it get in a fight every game for that matter. Be the 86 Mets…without Castillo and JRod doing coke between innings of course.

Reactions: kougkurt
If it gets them to not leave the bases loaded with nobody out and no runs, I’m all for it. F it get in a fight every game for that matter. Be the 86 Mets…without Castillo and JRod doing coke between innings of course.

Not hitting with RISP has been their Achilles Heal. Where did bunting go? And get the damn catcher off his knees.

Not hitting with RISP has been their Achilles Heal. Where did bunting go? And get the damn catcher off his knees.
Everyone can hit the long ball now so they don’t let anyone bunt. Except they only hit the long ball when the bases are empty.

I do like teams that play real baseball, sacrifice bunting, hit and run, squeeze play, etc. Hope is not a strategy…that’s all the Ms seem to do.

Mariners have lost 4 starting pitchers and one leverage arm back up to season ending injuries and are still in it for the final series.

That is why you don’t fire Scott Service.

Did you see how happy and close that team is after Julio led the team to a comeback win with his home run in the 9th? Another reason why I wouldn’t fire the leader of this young team.

Reactions: mikalalas
Mariners have lost 4 starting pitchers and one leverage arm back up to season ending injuries and are still in it for the final series.

Did you see how happy and close that team is after Julio led the team to a comeback win with his home run in the 9th? Another reason why I wouldn’t fire the leader of this young team.

That was Crawford. Julio hit a solo shot earlier

The hitting coach? You can’t continue to whiff and pop up and not get run production when you constantly have runners on base. At some point there has to be accountability. I poke a lot of fun at Biggs, but there’s one thing I agree with him on…you’re either coaching it or allowing it to happen. There’s no excuses any more and you can’t keep banging your head against the wall. It’s damn near every night they are 1-10, 0-7, RISP. Something has to change.

Win 2/3 vs Texas, AZ wins 1, Mariners are in the playoffs with an incredibly young team for the second year in a row.

I’ll take it!

Win 2/3 vs Texas, AZ wins 1, Mariners are in the playoffs with an incredibly young team for the second year in a row.

I’ll take it!
Think you mean Houston wins 1. They need to pick up a game in the final 3 to tie them. If mariners sweep and Houston wins 2/3, Ms win division as they own the three way tiebreaker on combined records. Not likely but anything can happen I suppose.

Problem is they just about had this locked up a few weeks ago then crashed and burned down the stretch. That’s concerning and also on the heals of making the playoffs last year would make this season hugely disappointing if they are left out. They do have a good young core of players and a solid pitching staff. Too good to be outside looking in.

The hitting coach? You can’t continue to whiff and pop up and not get run production when you constantly have runners on base. At some point there has to be accountability. I poke a lot of fun at Biggs, but there’s one thing I agree with him on…you’re either coaching it or allowing it to happen. There’s no excuses any more and you can’t keep banging your head against the wall. It’s damn near every night they are 1-10, 0-7, RISP. Something has to change.
Right on. They could bring in George Brett and the hitting coaches in Seattle would mess it up. The Mariners just don't develop hitters. First fire or fix the coaching of hitting. Next, decide if the current players can hit anything else besides fast balls.

As for pitching, I don't think there is one starting pitcher on this roster you have to have. Several are average, and could be better than average with development. I am not impressed with Castillo. Of course replacing him could be difficult, but IMO, you don't have to have him on the roster. He is not clutch.

Kirby could be clutch, Gilbert could be clutch. Miller and Woo have a lot of work to do to improve, but were decent for rookies. The future could be bright for our starters, but we are talking about potential and not reality.

Reactions: Coug90 and kougkurt
Right on. They could bring in George Brett and the hitting coaches in Seattle would mess it up. The Mariners just don't develop hitters. First fire or fix the coaching of hitting. Next, decide if the current players can hit anything else besides fast balls.

As for pitching, I don't think there is one starting pitcher on this roster you have to have. Several are average, and could be better than average with development. I am not impressed with Castillo. Of course replacing him could be difficult, but IMO, you don't have to have him on the roster. He is not clutch.

Kirby could be clutch, Gilbert could be clutch. Miller and Woo have a lot of work to do to improve, but were decent for rookies. The future could be bright for our starters, but we are talking about potential and not reality.
Yeah from the last week you can see. Verlander is an ace. Castillo is not. A decent hitting team that knows how to be patient abused him twice in a row.

Not sure what you do if you’re the Ms. You’ve got an ok roster, one that can get you sneaking into the playoffs. But you just aren’t a World Series team without a couple of game changing pick ups. JRod had a nice run but completely crapped himself when it counted. As good as he can be, that can’t be your best offensive player, you’ll never go anywhere in the post season. Need a vet that can show him how to handle pressure, apparently Crawford isn’t that guy.

Yeah from the last week you can see. Verlander is an ace. Castillo is not. A decent hitting team that knows how to be patient abused him twice in a row.

Not sure what you do if you’re the Ms. You’ve got an ok roster, one that can get you sneaking into the playoffs. But you just aren’t a World Series team without a couple of game changing pick ups. JRod had a nice run but completely crapped himself when it counted. As good as he can be, that can’t be your best offensive player, you’ll never go anywhere in the post season. Need a vet that can show him how to handle pressure, apparently Crawford isn’t that guy.
Ohtani would be a nice fit in Seattle's lineup. His idol is reported to be Ichiro, and apparently both of them have homes in Seattle. Bring him on board and let him concentrate on hitting next year while his arm heals up.

I wonder how they Mariners would have finished this year if they hadn't traded away their closer mid year. That cost them some games. Would Wong ever have come around for them, or was their some other utility guy that could have finished the year at second?

How will Robbie Ray come back next year? And what about Marco Gonzalez? They have a lot of pretty decent young arms, who is going to make a big jump up next year? The team needs that.

What do you do with Kelenic? Will he finally realize his potential and stay healthy for a full year? Trade bait? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ohtani would be a nice fit in Seattle's lineup. His idol is reported to be Ichiro, and apparently both of them have homes in Seattle. Bring him on board and let him concentrate on hitting next year while his arm heals up.

I wonder how they Mariners would have finished this year if they hadn't traded away their closer mid year. That cost them some games. Would Wong ever have come around for them, or was their some other utility guy that could have finished the year at second?

How will Robbie Ray come back next year? And what about Marco Gonzalez? They have a lot of pretty decent young arms, who is going to make a big jump up next year? The team needs that.

What do you do with Kelenic? Will he finally realize his potential and stay healthy for a full year? Trade bait? Inquiring minds want to know!
I actually don’t hate the Seawold trade right now. What I don’t like is how Servais used/didn’t use those guys down the stretch. Canzone was playing great and then disappeared. You had a plethora or relievers and needed bats, so I think it worked out fine.

You probably need a legit hitting first baseman at the least. Kelenik I don’t know. Seemed like they went on that run when he was out then started losing when he returned. Don’t mess with team chemistry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT