ADVERTISEMENT

Kind of interesting- the numbers of offers keeps growing

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the remedies suggested toward the end of article end up coming into effect

It's a pretty silly article. Social media has completely changed the recruiting game. Recruits trying to collect offers like merit badges is the primary factor, IMO, of the skyrocketing number of offers handed out by schools. You have kids (or a kids Entourage) soliciting offers from school they don't seriously consider because it's another offer.

The unpredictable nature of both high schoolers and coaches job security will always leave recruiting as something of a shell game. Kids fail classes, get into trouble, change their mind, or wait too long and have someone else take the spot they were offered. And if the head coach you committed to gets axed, of course you might not play for the new guy.

I believe the current system basically works. So much information is freely available to these kids now, they should be able to interpret pretty clearly where they stand with each program. Getting an offer 6 months ago and never hearing from a program again is a good sign the offer isn't on the table.

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple
While I do think the number of offers is getting ridiculous and schools are undoubtedly guilty of occasionally pulling the bait and switch, athletes don't have much room to complain since they also have the freedom to change their minds up until they sign on the dotted line and they often do.

I lost a lot of sympathy for the "kids" when some of them started playing horsecrap hat games at the last minute. I feel bad for the lower level players who don't get to be part of those shenanigans because they are the ones who get their offers modified, but then again, if they have an offer during the early signing period, sign on the dotted line and you're a lot less likely to be left holding the bag. I do believe that the early signing period is a great thing in that respect.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT