ADVERTISEMENT

Latest COUG trend - 4 things...

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
Here's what's on my mind:

1. In Western Washington, everywhere you go, (when wearing COUG gear), everyone, the general public, the casual guy, knows what's going on with the COUGS. "Hey, great win over UCLA, or hey you're 24, or hey, how about Luke Falk". Everyone, including "SeaLoser" diehards, to Montlake Dawgs are all talking about THE COUGS. Everyone wants to be associated with success and a winning program. I've rarely seen such a buzz EVERYWHERE you go. COUGS are IN. (Sure, we'll take bandwagon's!). Prediction: There will be more people watching our Colorado game then our UCLA game. We've picked up huge noise and publicity in the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue area.

2. Recruiting and location. Anyone who lives in Seattle knows that Bezos killed Seattle. Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, and about 12 additional major corporations continue to hire and bring people into King County, at the rate of 1,300 a month. I call it the "Seattle Gold Rush". It's all about jobs. Another 1.0 million people are expected to call Seattle their home within the next 10 years. Our freeways are absolutely crazy. It's no fun anywhere. Solution? It's not light rail. It's double decker freeways on 405 and I-5, (which won't happen in our lifetime). Add a second deck to our existing freeways. You listening DOT or Olympia?

Here's the deal. Why would you want to go to the University of Washington and open your door to only find and run into tens of thousands of people everywhere, mostly Amazon employees, fighting for space, parking, housing, and everything in between? Bottom line: We've had a huge population growth in the the last 18-24 months, huge.

On the contrary, when you open your college door in Pullman, you don't run into adults on their way to work, sitting in a crazy clogged freeway, but you run into another WSU College Student, walking to class, with no stress or tribulation from the real world. That's what's separates Washington State from any other PAC-12 university. No density. Strictly a college town where you can absorb the best FOUR years of your life. I can almost assure you that any kid growing up in Seattle, is going to want to get out of Dodge, (our traffic). My prediction: Pullman will be the hottest choice around, if your considering college. The best part is Leach knows how to recruit and exploit this!

3. You want to get Leach to talk in a presser? If you're a reporter from the press, just ask him anything non-football related. He'll talk. I love the presser when he was asked about his favorite fast food. He spent literally 5 minutes answering the question. It's obvious. He's sick and tired of routine football questions. Yes, he's quick to promote Falk for Heisman, but ask him an off the wall question, and you'll most likely receive an earful. BTW, we all know this, but the guy is a genius. Never forget.... "60 Minutes" is crazy selective who they segment profile. If you've made it on 60 minutes, well, you've reached the top of the mountain. What also resonates, is that Leach has absolutely -no ego- whatsoever.

4. Colorado is a Trap Game.

I know we all grew up in a car centric culture, but you lost me at "double decker" freeways.

Of course light rail isn't the answer, but neither is expanding freeways (lol just look at LA).

The answer? Options.

Options are king. Expand the number of travel/transportation options for the commuter and you'll see a reduction in congestion.

Seattle certainly does suck. It's nice to visit, but living there..... NO FREAKING WAY !!!!

I know we all grew up in a car centric culture, but you lost me at "double decker" freeways.

Of course light rail isn't the answer, but neither is expanding freeways (lol just look at LA).

The answer? Options.

Options are king. Expand the number of travel/transportation options for the commuter and you'll see a reduction in congestion.
Seriously! Add a second deck to I-5 from Joint Base Lewis-Mchord (JBLM) to Marysville and a second deck on 405 from Southcenter to Lynnwood. PROBLEM SOLVED!

It might cost $100 Billion dollars, but I think it would work! Print the Money and away we go!

Last edited:
Double decker freeways is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum.

And what the hell is a SeaLoser Diehard? I don't speak mouthbreather, anyone care to translate?

Urban planning is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, but whatever your views, Seattle has chosen the most calculatingly expensive and inefficient options imaginable. Piss off drivers, eliminate road capacity, toll what you have left, traffic calming to slow traffic, popping drivers for going 21 mph in a school zone... even if you believe in all public transit all the time (I live in NYC and it's all I use - don't own a car), you don't need to have the most expensive version of everything. Seattle literally has the most expensive-per-mile light rail network ever built, and now they're working on Chunnel 2.0. Over budget, behind schedule, all to move fewer cars at a higher price. If you're gonna do transit, do it right - if you need to buy a fleet of commercial trucks you don't go for the 24k gold Hummers, only to run out of money after you buy 2. It's a PITA everytime I come back - roads, transit... everything sucks.

That said, I don't think it has an appreciable impact on recruiting. Ask USC and UCLA. Their traffic is for s--- and they seem to be doing just fine. Presumably your 5-star recruits are not driving Chrysler minivans to practice across town.

Urban planning is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, but whatever your views, Seattle has chosen the most calculatingly expensive and inefficient options imaginable. Piss off drivers, eliminate road capacity, toll what you have left, traffic calming to slow traffic, popping drivers for going 21 mph in a school zone... even if you believe in all public transit all the time (I live in NYC and it's all I use - don't own a car), you don't need to have the most expensive version of everything. Seattle literally has the most expensive-per-mile light rail network ever built, and now they're working on Chunnel 2.0. Over budget, behind schedule, all to move fewer cars at a higher price. If you're gonna do transit, do it right - if you need to buy a fleet of commercial trucks you don't go for the 24k gold Hummers, only to run out of money after you buy 2. It's a PITA everytime I come back - roads, transit... everything sucks.

That said, I don't think it has an appreciable impact on recruiting. Ask USC and UCLA. Their traffic is for s--- and they seem to be doing just fine. Presumably your 5-star recruits are not driving Chrysler minivans to practice across town.

To be fair, the geography of king county, and that pesky fault line, are massive engineering head aches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT