ADVERTISEMENT

Leach

Yeah... more info please. He gets a 1 year contract extension every year. That's a given. But in these specific scenario's, timing is kinda important.

I THOUGHT that he normally got the extension in Jan/Feb once the season is over. But if Chun has brought this out now and it's been signed, this is a good thing. And smart of Chun to bring this up now.

Received a contract extension through 2024

This is the annual rollover. A year is automatically added to the end of the contract unless the parties opt out. So, not really a new contract or anything surprising.

The timing is good though.

weird, its being reported that he signed an extension so he is not a candidate any where, but if its just an annual rollover that may not be true.

Lots of disinfo out there.

If I’m Chun, I would attempt to bump his salary to $4,250,000.00 for 2020, in addition to the $750,000.00 retention bonus at the end of the season. Show him that we’re serious about keeping him here.

Hopefully there’s more money thrown at assistants too. Leach just wants to be paid competitively. This is good for Wazzu. We will stay consistent and if we get the bodies back on defense we’ll be back to being a 8-10 win team yearly.

Texas Tech is the cautionary tale of thinking you’re better than you are. Since Leach left they have never won more than 9 games (Leach did that 5 times), have missed a bowl game 5 out of 9 years (Leach never did) haven’t had a winning record in the Big 12 (Leach always did) and is on to their 3rd coach.

If I’m Chun, I would attempt to bump his salary to $4,250,000.00 for 2020, in addition to the $750,000.00 retention bonus at the end of the season. Show him that we’re serious about keeping him here.
Bump the assistants and build the IPF. Help him keep assistants and get recruits.

Reactions: royhobbs2
Texas Tech is really in trouble. Wells was a bad hire and their fan base is really apathetic and divided. Their AD Kirby Hocutt has made some bad decisions, but it started way before him. Kansas beat them this year.

We should be raiding all the fsu, Missouri, ole miss, Arkansas decommits now.

Texas Tech is really in trouble. Wells was a bad hire and their fan base is really apathetic and divided. Their AD Kirby Hocutt has made some bad decisions, but it started way before him. Kansas beat them this year.

We should be raiding all the fsu, Missouri, ole miss, Arkansas decommits now.
We are trying

Hopefully there’s more money thrown at assistants too. Leach just wants to be paid competitively. This is good for Wazzu. We will stay consistent and if we get the bodies back on defense we’ll be back to being a 8-10 win team yearly.

Texas Tech is the cautionary tale of thinking you’re better than you are. Since Leach left they have never won more than 9 games (Leach did that 5 times), have missed a bowl game 5 out of 9 years (Leach never did) haven’t had a winning record in the Big 12 (Leach always did) and is on to their 3rd coach.

They hired poorly. Coaches leave. The ability to hire the right guy is a talent few ADs have.

Exactly. Assistants need more. One of the difficulties in Leach being the HC, OC and QB coach is that there really isn’t any path for assistants on the offensive side to advance. Paying more is the only thing we can offer to keep them.

Make the buyout clause equal to the first two years of the next coaches salary. Then hire the next coach at $10M per year for his first two seasons. Have the school that hired your coach away mail the checks.

at the end of the day, these were lateral moves with not much monetary gains-hes got wsu close to to a top 25 program, those were uphill climbs.

whats funny, arky goobers are starting to poop their pants because if Kiffin doesn't sign, they are headed for the sunbelt trash can to find a coach, or to the nursing home to get retread butch davis.

Reactions: Cougzz
Make the buyout clause equal to the first two years of the next coaches salary. Then hire the next coach at $10M per year for his first two seasons. Have the school that hired your coach away mail the checks.

Do you actually think that someone would agree to that? And the provisions you're referring to would be in the same contract, so you wouldn't be fooling anyone.

Do you actually think that someone would agree to that?
Leach has always talked about wanting to be where everyone worked together and were on the same page.

Chun made a wise move. Leach would have quit before he was made to apologize being that he thinks he is right in the matter. He refused at TT and the admin there claimed insubordination.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Leach has always talked about wanting to be where everyone worked together and were on the same page.

Chun made a wise move. Leach would have quit before he was made to apologize being that he thinks he is right in the matter. He refused at TT and the admin there claimed insubordination.

OK. That has nothing to do with Bianca’s post.

Leach will retire a coug. He has a good gig and knows it.

I've posted this almost every year when the issue of Leach staying or going comes up. You see Leach during the warmer months walking in his shorts with a java to the football stadium each morning. This type of atmosphere is something that you don't give up unless the alternative situation is a solid fit for you.
Can you do that in Arizona or California or almost any other state? I'm saying in general that the answer is "no". It's one of the little perks that reminds Leach of weighing everything before making a final decision.

The buyout is negotiated just like other provisions. Moos didn't secure a huge buyout with Leach initially, and that's understandable given all the factors at play when he got Leach on board. He also didn't with Kent, which is much less understandable.

Hard to know whether the continued low buyout is Leach or his agent being a stickler on it, or whether Schulz has just been hamstrung by the existing provisions as the contract has been extended. In either case, you can't just stick him with a huge buyout. He's not stupid ... it would reduce his attractiveness for other opportunities.

This is Leach's way of reassuring recruits that he isn't leaving. Now we can focus on getting a top notch DC.
Speaking of, I'm wondering how top-of-mind staff retention is for CML. When you're sniffing $5MM/yr and above, isn't the job of making your nut done? What can you do with $6MM that you can't do with 5? Wonder if he - or others in his tier - are starting to demand top pay for their staff given what a disaster it can be when they skip town for a bigger paycheck.

Separately, I also feel that when you hire a HC, you expect to get someone who will own all three phases. When you hire Leach, you get someone who will own 1 (really well) and leave the rest to the "experts" - which is a problem when the experts suddenly aren't there. Feels like that should factor into his paycheck - not that it ever will if we wanted to keep him.

Speaking of, I'm wondering how top-of-mind staff retention is for CML. When you're sniffing $5MM/yr and above, isn't the job of making your nut done? What can you do with $6MM that you can't do with 5? Wonder if he - or others in his tier - are starting to demand top pay for their staff given what a disaster it can be when they skip town for a bigger paycheck.

Separately, I also feel that when you hire a HC, you expect to get someone who will own all three phases. When you hire Leach, you get someone who will own 1 (really well) and leave the rest to the "experts" - which is a problem when the experts suddenly aren't there. Feels like that should factor into his paycheck - not that it ever will if we wanted to keep him.

Whoa. As I posted in the thread on the Texas Graham Harrell offer, you are getting a deal by not having to pay both an OC and a DC.

The only place that I know of that is remotely similar is Patterson at TCU.

BCS head coaching jobs taking all the money is the new corporate greed.

Can't wait for Blanchette's response to this....

"Not only were my first amendment rights trampled, he was also MEAN to me. Instead of forcing him to apologize, THAT SCHOOL gave him a contract extension.....where's my safe space? Oh yeah, at GU. Headed over there right now"

When you're sniffing $5MM/yr and above, isn't the job of making your nut done? What can you do with $6MM that you can't do with 5?
I've been wondering this too. Leach doesn't strike me as a Material Guy. Wonder if it's ego, or more just looking for an entrance into the SEC.

Each year he stays in Pullman makes it more likely he finishes here.

Whoa. As I posted in the thread on the Texas Graham Harrell offer, you are getting a deal by not having to pay both an OC and a DC.

The only place that I know of that is remotely similar is Patterson at TCU.
Take the money you would normally pay a OC and invest it in a DC.

This is terrific news. Stability with the head guy isn't something WSU has had outside of Price. Now, about that defensive and strength staffing...

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Speaking of, I'm wondering how top-of-mind staff retention is for CML. When you're sniffing $5MM/yr and above, isn't the job of making your nut done? What can you do with $6MM that you can't do with 5?
What can I do with an extra mill a year? Seriously?

Reactions: TrumpCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT