ADVERTISEMENT

Leach's take on the Tennessee interview

I was amazed by the Hysteria of the “Leach is out the door” crowd, claiming “it was practically a done deal for $6 million.” Guess what Tennessee is paying the guy they eventually hired? About $200,000 more then Leach makes, and a far cry from $6 million.

I was amazed by the Hysteria of the “Leach is out the door” crowd, claiming “it was practically a done deal for $6 million.” Guess what Tennessee is paying the guy they eventually hired? About $200,000 more then Leach makes, and a far cry from $6 million.

Not sure anyone was in hysteria . Coaches move on at some point. Even Leach was honest and said he had to listen because they were throwing around crazy money. The six million was a number the old AD was dangling. Might be why he was asked to come back to Knoxville. Of course Fuller would screw it up. I would think six million eventually would look like a bargain .

Not sure anyone was in hysteria . Coaches move on at some point. Even Leach was honest and said he had to listen because they were throwing around crazy money. The six million was a number the old AD was dangling. Might be why he was asked to come back to Knoxville. Of course Fuller would screw it up. I would think six million eventually would look like a bargain .
there was hysteria, you yourself proclaimed many times that "Leach was gone" he " had a contract in his pocket"

Reactions: YakiCoug
This is just my opinion, but I don't for a second believe that the conversation was, "I'm not really interested in going because I love good ol' Wazzu, but I'll take a free lunch if you're offering". Leach is a smart enough man to know the fallout from the meeting when it became public knowledge. He went to that meeting for one of two reasons. 1) He was interested in the job if the money was right or 2) he wanted to send the message to WSU that they better keep treating him right or he would leave.

99% of the time, the only guarantee about a coach is that he's interested in proving his worth elsewhere if the money and opportunity is right. The Mark Fews and Bill Snyders of the world are very, very rare. My gut tells me that Leach was closer to leaving than the article above indicates, but I also believe that the response by WSU leadership was the right one and that Leach is probably more comfortable staying at WSU for a long time than he was before that visit with Tennessee.

I re-read parts of "Swing your Sword" a few weeks back and it's obvious that Leach is not happy when an administration tells him that he has to just accept the status quo and he shouldn't expect to be paid market rates. He doesn't need to have the greatest facilities or the highest pay, but he has to feel that they are doing everything that they can. I have a feeling that's why the indoor practice facility has gotten more interest in recent years and it's why I expect it to happen. The president and AD know that if they don't keep moving forward, Leach's wandering eye will start to kick in......just like any other coach. WSU doesn't have to do a lot to keep him in Pullman and happy, but complacency would be a killer.

there was hysteria, you yourself proclaimed many times that "Leach was gone" he " had a contract in his pocket"

One thing that's a given is that trolls from other sites will emerge to suggest a school's coach is leaving (Leach to Tennessee, e.g.) to mess up recruiting. We don't have trolls from the outside here. We have Flat, Ed, and other members of the $600,000 Club.

First, it is not "hysteria" to talk about possible departures. Listen to leach when he talks about the NFL. It is clear it is important for him to completely trust who he is working for.

I said the moment Floyd died it changes the dynamics. They brought in Schultz and it wasn't too long after Leach had several Poly players who got in trouble and Schultz was not exactly in Leach's corner on that issue. Moos leaving was directly linked to Floyd passing cause Moos had carte blanche working for Floyd. My dealings being exposed to the corporate world at a very young age showed me when there is change at the very top, change soon follows down a level. Floyd passing changed things for the football program. I said so at the time and the AD left, and the head coach was willing to listen to Tennessee about ungodly money.

Longtime, why do you think Leach took a meeting with with someone he was not friends with or never met before? Leach said it himself, he had to listen to someone who was throwing around that kind of money. Do you think if the AD had the support of the Chancellor, and the AD offered 6 million, do you believe Leach would have turned it down? I don't. I don't think many people turn down a 2 plus million dollar raise, with private jets etc.

Price didn't intend to leave. You know why he started to sniff around? It was over assistant pay, assistants wives and family having their bowl trips paid for, and it came down to little stuff like having the free coffee taken away. When UCLA talked to him, he listened. Next thing he knows there is a whole different side to football he really has never been exposed to.

Heck, years ago even I left a company because new management came in and wanted to mess with my car allowance.

So there is no "hysteria", coaches leave. People leave. People change, programs open eyes by dangling funny money out there. Why do you think Leach who wrote a book with Feldman and is good friends with him didn't object to Feldman's tweets about the Tennessee job?

One thing that's a given is that trolls from other sites will emerge to suggest a school's coach is leaving (Leach to Tennessee, e.g.) to mess up recruiting. We don't have trolls from the outside here. We have Flat, Ed, and other members of the $600,000 Club.

Do you not think recruits can look at Bruce Feldman's tweets that Leach was offered a job by Tennessee? You think Flat or myself carry any weight with what recruits read and do? And if they do, trust me they wont make it in Leach's program if they are that soft minded.

This is just my opinion, but I don't for a second believe that the conversation was, "I'm not really interested in going because I love good ol' Wazzu, but I'll take a free lunch if you're offering". Leach is a smart enough man to know the fallout from the meeting when it became public knowledge. He went to that meeting for one of two reasons. 1) He was interested in the job if the money was right or 2) he wanted to send the message to WSU that they better keep treating him right or he would leave.

Why not both options. I think it's definitely plausible that UT offered a boatload, he'd be insane to not consider and at the same time, it's a message to the WSU administration to pay attention.

If the boss who hired you and the boss who hired him/her are suddenly no longer with your organization, and you find yourself working for people you do not know or are otherwise unfamiliar with, you are going to start making sure you CYA in case things don't work out the way you hope they will. It is completely normal.

Why not both options. I think it's definitely plausible that UT offered a boatload, he'd be insane to not consider and at the same time, it's a message to the WSU administration to pay attention.
That's always been my take. All I care is he's our coach but I wouldn't have blamed him a bit if he left for a program like UTenn. While they were (and maybe still are) a total $*** show it's still the Vols.

Reactions: CougEd
First, it is not "hysteria" to talk about possible departures. Listen to leach when he talks about the NFL. It is clear it is important for him to completely trust who he is working for.

I said the moment Floyd died it changes the dynamics. They brought in Schultz and it wasn't too long after Leach had several Poly players who got in trouble and Schultz was not exactly in Leach's corner on that issue. Moos leaving was directly linked to Floyd passing cause Moos had carte blanche working for Floyd. My dealings being exposed to the corporate world at a very young age showed me when there is change at the very top, change soon follows down a level. Floyd passing changed things for the football program. I said so at the time and the AD left, and the head coach was willing to listen to Tennessee about ungodly money.

Longtime, why do you think Leach took a meeting with with someone he was not friends with or never met before? Leach said it himself, he had to listen to someone who was throwing around that kind of money. Do you think if the AD had the support of the Chancellor, and the AD offered 6 million, do you believe Leach would have turned it down? I don't. I don't think many people turn down a 2 plus million dollar raise, with private jets etc.

Price didn't intend to leave. You know why he started to sniff around? It was over assistant pay, assistants wives and family having their bowl trips paid for, and it came down to little stuff like having the free coffee taken away. When UCLA talked to him, he listened. Next thing he knows there is a whole different side to football he really has never been exposed to.

Heck, years ago even I left a company because new management came in and wanted to mess with my car allowance.

So there is no "hysteria", coaches leave. People leave. People change, programs open eyes by dangling funny money out there. Why do you think Leach who wrote a book with Feldman and is good friends with him didn't object to Feldman's tweets about the Tennessee job?
How do you presume to know he didn’t object to his tweets but did it privately?

How do you presume to know he didn’t object to his tweets but did it privately?

What good would that do? Feldman said there was an MOU . Leach could have easily denounced or denied the accuracy of the tweets, but Feldman has been the first to tweet about Leach and different jobs, including the WSU job way back when .

What good would that do? Feldman said there was an MOU . Leach could have easily denounced or denied the accuracy of the tweets, but Feldman has been the first to tweet about Leach and different jobs, including the WSU job way back when .
I can think of a lot of reasons why that you wouldn’t be in the loop on. Leach seems to do a lot of things that may not appear conventional to your or my eyes.

I can think of a lot of reasons why that you wouldn’t be in the loop on. Leach seems to do a lot of things that may not appear conventional to your or my eyes.

Well I really wouldn't be in on the loop either way. But I would think for alumni donors who are bothered by him sniffing around, and more important his new bosses that he would publicly state co-authors account was inaccurate.

99% of the time, the only guarantee about a coach is that he's interested in proving his worth elsewhere if the money and opportunity is right. The Mark Fews and Bill Snyders of the world are very, very rare. My gut tells me that Leach was closer to leaving than the article above indicates, but I also believe that the response by WSU leadership was the right one and that Leach is probably more comfortable staying at WSU for a long time than he was before that visit with Tennessee.

I re-read parts of "Swing your Sword" a few weeks back and it's obvious that Leach is not happy when an administration tells him that he has to just accept the status quo and he shouldn't expect to be paid market rates. He doesn't need to have the greatest facilities or the highest pay, but he has to feel that they are doing everything that they can. I have a feeling that's why the indoor practice facility has gotten more interest in recent years and it's why I expect it to happen. The president and AD know that if they don't keep moving forward, Leach's wandering eye will start to kick in......just like any other coach. WSU doesn't have to do a lot to keep him in Pullman and happy, but complacency would be a killer.
I'd buy that. I'd also accept that Leach is the kind of guy who believes in exploring options...and keeping them open. Honestly, in his shoes I don't think there's many P5 teams that I'd refuse to even talk to.

Even if you're content in your current position, how many of us could say with certainty that there's not something better out there? Maybe you don't think you're interested, but if you don't even have the conversation, you might miss out on something. For most of us, it just doesn't play out on national news...and it probably wouldn't have for him if Tennessee's administration wasn't such a raging dumpster fire a year ago.

Reactions: 425cougfan
But I would think for alumni donors who are bothered by him sniffing around,

And there it is.............

Leach doesn’t give a F*** about You or what you have donated. This has always bothered you greatly. The man cares more about his current team & their accomplishments & improvement than anything someone like you can donate. You have tipped your hand dipshit.

Leach > Eric D!

Leach doesn’t give a F*** about You or what you have donated. This has always bothered you greatly. The man cares more about his current team & their accomplishments & improvement than anything someone like you can donate. You have tipped your hand dipshit.

Leach > Eric D!

Too funny. You sure have a vivid imagination. As an alumni I am not bothered by him or any coach taking a meeting/interview or whatever you call it. I don’t donate to the program because of the coach, but there are those who are bothered by it.

I am not sure I even talk about my donations other than during the bad years because I know starving a money starved program is not healthy. You don’t know if I have donated hundreds or thousands, nor does it matter.

Again, as a son of someone who moved numerous times to better his career, I don t begrudge anyone who takes an opportunity to make more money and in the case of the Tennessee gig almost doubling his salary .

And I have warned you about using my name. As Yaki can attest I will post your name like I did his when he refused to quit posting my name if you don’t stop. It isn’t all that hard to figure out and tie it all together when you use to live in Corpus, spend time in Chandler etc etc .

Last edited:
The question I have is about the recruit who seemingly got stood up that night on an at home visit and committed to UCLA instead.

Leach > Eric D!

A&M: I'll PM you some information you'll find interesting. There's some trouble coming. Someone might be out of a job.

A&M: I'll PM you some information you'll find interesting. There's some trouble coming. Someone might be out of a job.

The good thing with unemployment being so low, whoever maybe out of a job probably will have no problem finding another.

I sure hope it isn’t me as it would expedite the months notice I gave them ....

Gawd just a string of bad luck. First your good friend Hood was going to ban me then didn’t apparently, the police where coming after me for filing a false police report which no report was ever filed ... I sure hope it isn’t me who will be on the imaginary unemployment line .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT