ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to KJR in Seattle and I think

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Furness was interviewing Brandon Huffman. He said Rolo a relentless recruiter with recruiting ties up and down the coast. Made a couple of interesting comments.

One, Rolo would invest in the state of Washington . He said Leach and staff offered kids in the state , but “offering is not recruiting.” He said Rolo unlike leach would have people at the state games, local practices etc.

The other observation is that when Leach lost a coach he would go to his roots and not get a west coast recruiter with west coach ties . Interesting comments.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Furness was interviewing Brandon Huffman. He said Rolo a relentless recruiter with recruiting ties up and down the coast. Made a couple of interesting comments.

One, Rolo would invest in the state of Washington . He said Leach and staff offered kids in the state , but “offering is not recruiting.” He said Rolo unlike leach would have people at the state games, local practices etc.

The other observation is that when Leach lost a coach he would go to his roots and not get a west coast recruiter with west coach ties . Interesting comments.
In one of the interviews he alluded to not knowing whether it was easier to ask the kids to move away from the island or ask them to stay, I can't think of anyone with more JC ties. Yes, offering is not recruiting.

I want to believe but..
giphy.gif

Price and Doba used to do HS football camps (aka scouting/recruiting). I don’t know if Wulff did, but Leach did not. Do those come back?

Last edited:
The endless bitching about in state recruiting from the UW lackeys at KJR (furness and puckett) is annoying beyond belief. Its almost like they have a financial stake in tracy ford's gym or something.
It is annoying because you think we recruit Washington hard and we are successful, or recruit hard and not, or it doesn’t matter?

Agree but doesn’t mean we don’t get a Rien Long, a Marcus Trufant, Erik Coleman . I think there are a handful every year that can help.
All great Coug's but even those 3 had different things come into play from what I remember.

Rien Long gave us a longer look because the UW was going through a coaching change. His younger brother goes to Oregon.

Trufant put up big numbers as a running back in high school and at the time programs weren't projecting him to db like I believe we had him. His younger brother goes to the UW.

Erik Coleman coming out of Spokane and not the Seattle area helped.

I know those 3 were just examples but recruiting today is very different than it was 20 years ago. I'm not saying ignore the state but the true P5 level recruits are going to the UW, Oregon, Stanford/SC, or out of the area. For the others a lot times we are probably better off going into California to find a recruit that's played against better competition than in-state recruits.

Reactions: Coug1990
Agree but doesn’t mean we don’t get a Rien Long, a Marcus Trufant, Erik Coleman . I think there are a handful every year that can help.

E.D you know nothing about Coleman’s recruitment or star power in the GSL in 1999-00.

Another instance where you just talk and know NOTHING about the truth of a matter.

You’re a true blowhard

Reactions: longtimecoug
E.D you know nothing about Coleman’s recruitment or star power in the GSL in 1999-00.

Another instance where you just talk and know NOTHING about the truth of a matter.

You’re a true blowhard

Yo Corpuss Chandler---I may be a blowhard, but what in this thread did you find so upsetting? Did I say anything about the GSL and the star power, or Coleman's recruitment. I simply said we need to land some of the kids Price landed whether they were a 4 star recruit out of the GSL league, or Pat Bennett from Forks.

Did I accidentally run over your pet cat?

Last edited:
Yo Coupuss Chandler---I may be a blowhard, but what in this thread did you find so upsetting? Did I say anything about the GSL and the star power, or Coleman's recruitment. I simply said we need to land some of the kids Price landed whether they were a 4 star recruit out of the GSL league, or Pat Bennett from Forks.

Like Andre Dillard and Cole Madison?

While I'm all for WA kids if they can play, I don't want us offering kids who are stretches for the Pac-12 just because they're from Washington. If the issue really has been "offering but not recruiting" some of these guys, great, but I'm skeptical. I think it has a lot more to do with the purple haze all over the state, including Spokane, that is blown around by blowhard media and assclowns perpetuating inaccurate, outdated stereotypes about WSU. We also have other Northwest schools all over Washington and "big" schools going after any 4-stars and above.

I miss the 3-4 in state kids a year we used to bring in who were never close to P5 talents. But hey, everyone once in a while we'd hit an in state superstar. So let's keep wasting scholarships on the Marty Martin's of the world.

You’re a true blowhard

You need some serious help. You get triggered and go apeshit every time Ed posts. If anyone is a blowhard, it is you.

Justis Rogers too.

Or Gary Holmes, Chad Eaton, Shane Doyle, James Darling, Dorian Boose, Mobley, Hunter, Pointer, Bledsoe, Long, Coleman, Trufant, McEndoo, Rainville...and a host more.

If your point is we have recruited our home state well the last 5 years I would have to respectfully disagree. Have we had spot success? Yes. If your argument is we don't need state kids I am not quite sure I agree or disagree, short term anyways. Long term I think state kids will be the kids/ players who are vested and will donate.

Or Gary Holmes, Chad Eaton, Shane Doyle, James Darling, Dorian Boose, Mobley, Hunter, Pointer, Bledsoe, Long, Coleman, Trufant, McEndoo, Rainville...and a host more.

If your point is we have recruited our home state well the last 5 years I would have to respectfully disagree. Have we had spot success? Yes. If your argument is we don't need state kids I am not quite sure I agree or disagree, short term anyways. Long term I think state kids will be the kids/ players who are vested and will donate.

No. My argument is that we still recruit instate kids. Thats a myth that we don't. We just don’t invest a lot into. Or that we didn’t. That could change. Also, you just covered like 13 years compared 8.

I miss the 3-4 in state kids a year we used to bring in who were never close to P5 talents. But hey, everyone once in a while we'd hit an in state superstar. So let's keep wasting scholarships on the Marty Martin's of the world.

I am sure you could say that about other kids who we have signed out of Texas, Cali and other places.

No. My argument is that we still recruit instate kids. Thats a myth that we don't. We just don’t invest a lot into. Or that we didn’t. That could change. Also, you just covered like 13 years compared 8.

I think we are splitting atoms here. Huffman may be out to lunch. His buzz is our staff offered but didn't have the investment he felt other coaches have had in the past. How much effort does it take to have a representative at the state title game.

Of course Leach recruited the state, but as you point out he just didn't invest a lot into the state. Not sure we really disagree.

And for every one of those guys there are two Raymond brothers and maybe a Brian Hall.

I am sure you could say that about other kids who we have signed out of Texas, Cali and other places.

Show me another territory where we constantly waste 3-4 scholarships per year to appease the locals who think Billy is the next superstar.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
I don't think that we should offer WA kids just because, but completely neglecting them creates a massive disconnect between WSU and WA State Youth Football. As a result, when there are top in-state prospects to be had, we're not even in the conversation. There's also a marketing and general student body recruitment impact felt by going radio silent; particularly in Western WA.

I've always felt that we should have a massive 7-on-7 camp in Western WA.

And for every one of those guys there are two Raymond brothers and maybe a Brian Hall.

Yes. Every year we were pulling in 3-4 in state kids who were big sky talents that never amounted to anything. Leach didn't hit on everybody, but you can't argue he hasn't significantly raised the floor on our recruiting.

The kids who will donate (meaningfully) are those who fall in love with Pullman and the university and, as importantly, make a large amount of money, preferably as NFL athletes. The focus should be on getting more of those.

I get what you're saying in the sense that in-state players are probably more likely to settle in the state and be invested long-term, though. But both for the sake of our football team being good enough to prompt donations from the thousands of other alumni we have, and having more pro athletes who are likely to donate big amounts later, the focus just needs to be on getting the best players possible.

Yo Corpuss Chandler---I may be a blowhard, but what in this thread did you find so upsetting? Did I say anything about the GSL and the star power, or Coleman's recruitment. I simply said we need to land some of the kids Price landed whether they were a 4 star recruit out of the GSL league, or Pat Bennett from Forks.

by all means, let's get more paul mencke's

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I don't think we should lose any sleep over Leach's lack of interest in recruiting in Washington, but I do feel that the new staff should make sure to do a better job of recruiting the state. Holding football camps gives us a much better chance of identifying the sleeper kids who just don't jump off the page until you see them in person, in builds stronger ties to the state and makes future WSU fans and its just good marketing. The state of Kansas is definitely not a hotbed of talent, but it seems like just about every year, there is one kid on the KSU roster from the state of Kansas who was a complete unknown but ends up being a stud. As we are finalizing recruiting classes and getting to the point where we are taking a flyer on a kid, why not give it to a kid in Washington instead of Texas? It's obviously smarter to direct more of our recruiting to California overall, just as we've been doing, but giving the state of Washington a little more attention isn't a bad thing.

The endless bitching about in state recruiting from the UW lackeys at KJR (furness and puckett) is annoying beyond belief. Its almost like they have a financial stake in tracy ford's gym or something.

That, and are they expecting WSU to show to watch uw’s recruits? That’s a highly effective use of time....

Leach and Yost went to Spokane to watch Brett Rypien back in the day. Didn’t exactly work out. Do you have the kiss the ring in the Tacoma Dome?

I really think Leach just decided to spend his time in an area where there wasn't a decades long networking effort selling WSU as a second or third rate option for school.

All you need to do is read Twitter to see what the perception of WSU's program was locally.

You go down to Florida and WSU is just another Pac12 program with a cool offense. There's no Blanchette & Furness & Puckett & Jim Moore and Tracy Ford and Gee Scott taking shots at your program and making it seem like it's a joke.

The Husky honks taking shots, I have no problem with. It's the alumni and guys that cover the team that really suck.

I really think Leach just decided to spend his time in an area where there wasn't a decades long networking effort selling WSU as a second or third rate option for school.

All you need to do is read Twitter to see what the perception of WSU's program was locally.

You go down to Florida and WSU is just another Pac12 program with a cool offense. There's no Blanchette & Furness & Puckett & Jim Moore and Tracy Ford and Gee Scott taking shots at your program and making it seem like it's a joke.

The Husky honks taking shots, I have no problem with. It's the alumni and guys that cover the team that really suck.

This .

I would think it would be a good strategy for UW to persuade WSU to spend more of their recruiting time and budget only in the State of Washington.

I am sure UW would also like to try to persuade Oregon to recruit the State of Oregon more as well, but for some reason they just won't listen to these chuckle heads advise.

Last edited:

Exactly. And further, exactly none of that is Leach's fault. It's really the HS coaches, guidance counselors or whoever that are telling kids to hold out for a uw offer or go out of state. Somehow, going to bowl games, playing for a well known coach that was producing NFL draft picks and All-Americans was not good enough. Graduating players at one of the highest rates in school history was no good.

This .

I would think it would be a good strategy for UW to persuade WSU to spend more of their recruiting time and budget only in the State of Washington.

I am sure they would also like to try to persuade Oregon to recruit the State of Oregon more as well, but for some reason they just won't listen to these chuckle heads advise.

Jim Moore's logic at work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT