ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the End of UCLA's AD & top assistant

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
Today's LA Times had both a front page news story (reporting the facts) and a front of sports section commentary (offering opinion) that essentially made the case that Dan Guerrero knew about the payments to the athletic department to get kids admitted to UCLA under the auspices of being a sports recruit...when they really were not. His top assistant has been implicated, and it begs credibility that he did not know what was happening. If he knew, he has to go. If he didn't, he is incompetent, and he has to go. You get the picture.

He won't survive this. UCLA has been administrationally (is that even a word?) disfunctional for years, and the athletic department has been criminally inept for far longer. Dan has been the teflon man, despite his continual success at doing less with more. But there is no way he will dodge this.

Simultaneous stories on the front page and front of the Sports section is the kiss of death. I'm not sure how long he will be a dead man walking, but he won't last.

The Sports section column:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-admissions-guerrero-rebholz-20190413-story.html

An earlier story that led to today's stories:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ucla-admissions-soccer-recruit-20190319-story.html

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ucla-admissions-soccer-recruit-20190319-story.html

Reactions: 425cougfan
Now imagine being a football coach that just came in with a need for administrative support, a lucid vision of success for the program and a clear path that gets everyone excited to be a part of the team...

Bahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

As usual in these situations, while it's funny to laugh at the misery of UCLA and Chianti Dan, it's likely bad news for us if he's ousted since they'd likely get someone who is better, perhaps even someone who is good. Chianti Dan has been terrible for UCLA and the Pac-12 as a whole, but great for WSU's fortunes against it.

As usual in these situations, while it's funny to laugh at the misery of UCLA and Chianti Dan, it's likely bad news for us if he's ousted since they'd likely get someone who is better, perhaps even someone who is good. Chianti Dan has been terrible for UCLA and the Pac-12 as a whole, but great for WSU's fortunes against it.
It's been pretty easy to laugh at UCLA for quite a while. I'll believe it when I see it, when they get their sh!t together.

A basketball program in shambles that used to rival any basketball program in the world. They learned to live with that excellence, history and prestige. They've thrown it all away.

Their football program is known as the place kids go to become softer. I've yet to see anything that would change there.

It's an uphill battle for them, in every facet that matters. When they get it together, then great. Then we'll battle but for now, I'm pretty comfortable rolling my eyes at them and chuckling.

It's been pretty easy to laugh at UCLA for quite a while. I'll believe it when I see it, when they get their sh!t together.

A basketball program in shambles that used to rival any basketball program in the world. They learned to live with that excellence, history and prestige. They've thrown it all away.

Their football program is known as the place kids go to become softer. I've yet to see anything that would change there.

It's an uphill battle for them, in every facet that matters. When they get it together, then great. Then we'll battle but for now, I'm pretty comfortable rolling my eyes at them and chuckling.

Who has better resources to turn around a program ?

Who has better resources to turn around a program ?
They do... Why do you think it strikes my funny bone? Duh.
For football, it's been decades.

For basketball, about a decade.

The idea that some day they are going to "rise from the ashes" and kick our ass so we shouldn't enjoy and revel in their lack of success is silly. And maybe they'll catch up this season! But they haven't yet. So I'll roll my eyes and chuckle now.

Not many ADs get to hire 3 diff football coaches. How many has this guy hired???

They do... Why do you think it strikes my funny bone? Duh.
For football, it's been decades.

For basketball, about a decade.

The idea that some day they are going to "rise from the ashes" and kick our ass so we shouldn't enjoy and revel in their lack of success is silly. And maybe they'll catch up this season! But they haven't yet. So I'll roll my eyes and chuckle now.

What did Admiral Yamamoto say after bombing Pearl Harbor? “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

What did Admiral Yamamoto say after bombing Pearl Harbor? “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”
LOL. This isn't war E.D.. It a kid game. I won't take it quite that seriously. And I'm just a fan of the kid game(s).

Ed is not far wrong, in that UCLA is indeed a sleeping giant. But I'm not sure they will ever wake up, and as a couple of you have noted, it has been good for WSU that UCLA athletics has been run by a guy that has clearly been way over his head. I guess they didn't teach the AD job when he was a baseball player there.

Let's hope that they hire another meathead when he gets fired.

If Guerrero loses his spot then one can expect to see Bruin alumni dancing in the streets. They have wanted get rid of him for years. I have no idea how he has lasted this long.

Ed is right though. UCLA was a basketball and football power once and can be once again. They just need the right people in place. D.G. was not a good AD and replacing him is a step in the right direction for that school. Would not mind him surviving this little contretemps though for an obvious reason.

I don't know. USC has had a revolving door at AD.

If USC can do it, UCLA can too!

Ed is not far wrong, in that UCLA is indeed a sleeping giant. But I'm not sure they will ever wake up, and as a couple of you have noted, it has been good for WSU that UCLA athletics has been run by a guy that has clearly been way over his head. I guess they didn't teach the AD job when he was a baseball player there.

Let's hope that they hire another meathead when he gets fired.
Meh. First off, I don't care about UCLA enough. So that's first point. And if they become the "waking giant", fine. Eventually they will do well, no doubt. I have no doubt that we will battle when that time comes. We are no longer the door mats (in football). What happens to UCLA is out of my control or concern. So right now, I chuckle.

Second, my initial comment was directed (and not expressed well) that when leaders are sucky, the lower tier leaders (coaches) have a very hard battle. "Culture" for a lack of a better term, comes from leaders. And their leaders are being fired right now. I was trying to comment on the "business structure" of culture. When the CEO (AD) is sucky, it's hard for middle management(coaches) to have a cohesive team, positive, etc.

The uphill battle for coaches, while THEIR leader's are coming and going, sucking air and creating an ethical quagmire is significant to try and change that culture.

If Guerrero loses his spot then one can expect to see Bruin alumni dancing in the streets. They have wanted get rid of him for years. I have no idea how he has lasted this long.

Ed is right though. UCLA was a basketball and football power once and can be once again. They just need the right people in place. D.G. was not a good AD and replacing him is a step in the right direction for that school. Would not mind him surviving this little contretemps though for an obvious reason.
Sounds like you're worried they'll hire Jim Sterk from Missouri

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT