ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we should let Cooper start!

You obviously know this, but I didn't realize to what degree they run the ball. I was thinking they passed 40-45% of the time....they pass 35% of the time. Not only do I not like Bama's football team, but ignore their stats as well. 24 pass attempts per game....kinda cute compared to what WSU's QBs have to shoulder. Being the starting QB for Bama would be a week off.

Reactions: ATACFD
You obviously know this, but I didn't realize to what degree they run the ball. I was thinking they passed 40-45% of the time....they pass 35% of the time. Not only do I not like Bama's football team, but ignore their stats as well. 24 pass attempts per game....kinda cute compared to what WSU's QBs have to shoulder. Being the starting QB for Bama would be a week off.

Yeah, it's obviously different for a young QB to come play at WSU compared to other places. Still, this is a nationwide trend that's happening with greater frequency and more youngsters that are actually playing well. They pointed out that one of the biggest problems is that kids are no longer willing to wait in the hopes that they can play down the road with transfers being very common for guys that didn't win the job. We've seen that at WSU and most of us are expecting it to happen this year depending on the results of the QB competition.

Yeah, it's obviously different for a young QB to come play at WSU compared to other places. Still, this is a nationwide trend that's happening with greater frequency and more youngsters that are actually playing well. They pointed out that one of the biggest problems is that kids are no longer willing to wait in the hopes that they can play down the road with transfers being very common for guys that didn't win the job. We've seen that at WSU and most of us are expecting it to happen this year depending on the results of the QB competition.
And yet, we've talked extensively about how the NFL seems to make sure any younger players that have not graduated, are relegated to the bottom tier draft spot, if drafted at all.

They rush through college so they can wait for the NFL. OOOORRRR... they could go through college and get drafted.

Reactions: Cougzz
And yet, we've talked extensively about how the NFL seems to make sure any younger players that have not graduated, are relegated to the bottom tier draft spot, if drafted at all.

They rush through college so they can wait for the NFL. OOOORRRR... they could go through college and get drafted.

I personally don't believe that the NFL looks at a kid and says, "I'm not going to draft him since he left early". I think the kids that leave early who don't get drafted early see that happen because the NFL teams don't have enough information to know if it's worth the risk to pick them, particularly when there are a lot of good seniors out there too. Running an NFL team is big business and I've rarely seen them let ethics get in their way.

There is a rampant problem with kids transferring to other colleges, particularly at the QB position. WSU has seen it routinely as well:

Bender (2014), Bruggman (2013), and Apodaca (2012) all transferred away from WSU after they realized that they were not good enough to move up the depth chart.

I think that the transfer wave isn't changing any time soon and we might as well get used to it and I think it increases the chances of not having a deep depth chart to the degree that we'd like.

I would like to know how much Madden has influenced early qb play. If a kid pays attention and uses practice mode they can begin to recognize coverages and keys way before college. Obviously, they would have to be a self motivated learner.

“I think it increases the chances of not having a deep depth chart to the degree that we'd like.”.

I don’t think the three listed QBs would have been of any help depth-wise. Other than that, I can’t argue against your premise. Depth, and lack of same at season end, is why I always thought the Apple Cup should be played in September. A lot of our historically poor November record is highly attributable to injured good players being replaced by Big Sky-type guys.

I personally don't believe that the NFL looks at a kid and says, "I'm not going to draft him since he left early". I think the kids that leave early who don't get drafted early see that happen because the NFL teams don't have enough information to know if it's worth the risk to pick them, particularly when there are a lot of good seniors out there too. Running an NFL team is big business and I've rarely seen them let ethics get in their way.

There is a rampant problem with kids transferring to other colleges, particularly at the QB position. WSU has seen it routinely as well:

Bender (2014), Bruggman (2013), and Apodaca (2012) all transferred away from WSU after they realized that they were not good enough to move up the depth chart.

I think that the transfer wave isn't changing any time soon and we might as well get used to it and I think it increases the chances of not having a deep depth chart to the degree that we'd like.
I don't know if there's a way of really knowing if the NFL does that unless someone here has been in those draft/war rooms and someone has said, "Hey he's a great player but he's too young to draft. Lets pick this other guy, same numbers but older."

So I certainly don't know. I don't have an NFL scout(s) on my rolodex. I was strictly mentioning that there are many, many comments on this site regarding this. There's several that have outright said that they believe the NFL does do this.

I'd love to see actual numbers of younger players drafted, their college numbers, whom they played and then look at the rest of the draft class to see who was drafted before/after that younger player. But that would be some heavy lifting. I don't want to go through all of that, personally. But for me, that's the only way I'd be swayed either way. Antidotal evidence isn't evidence to me. Meh. I'll have to figure out how to survive without knowing definitively. lol.

But interesting juxtaposition, I think. There's a move to get into the draft early. Yet there's at least a concept out there (accurate or not) that the NFL doesn't like drafting younger players. Players are the only ones that would get screwed in that situation.

I don't know if there's a way of really knowing if the NFL does that unless someone here has been in those draft/war rooms and someone has said, "Hey he's a great player but he's too young to draft. Lets pick this other guy, same numbers but older."

So I certainly don't know. I don't have an NFL scout(s) on my rolodex. I was strictly mentioning that there are many, many comments on this site regarding this. There's several that have outright said that they believe the NFL does do this.

I'd love to see actual numbers of younger players drafted, their college numbers, whom they played and then look at the rest of the draft class to see who was drafted before/after that younger player. But that would be some heavy lifting. I don't want to go through all of that, personally. But for me, that's the only way I'd be swayed either way. Antidotal evidence isn't evidence to me. Meh. I'll have to figure out how to survive without knowing definitively. lol.

But interesting juxtaposition, I think. There's a move to get into the draft early. Yet there's at least a concept out there (accurate or not) that the NFL doesn't like drafting younger players. Players are the only ones that would get screwed in that situation.

Do I think that the NFL passes over potentially talented players that left earlier than the scouts think was appropriate? Sure. I don't think it's a retaliatory or punishment thing as some have suggested though. If someone can play and has proven it, they will get drafted regardless of their class. If there is a specific negative to guys leaving early is that a scout could be thinking, "Well, so much for this guy's common sense!" and dings him for lacking self awareness and patience. But again, they ignore that if the guy is talented enough.

Reactions: kayak15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT