ADVERTISEMENT

Markoff

cr8zyncalif

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
Impressive game. His YAC was more than I expected; the first tackler didn't bring him down. Looked good for a solid 4 yards on any swing pass, and more if the second tackler didn't get there pretty quick. Good leg churn running up the middle. I think he gets PT this fall, frequently in dual back sets with Max. Just try to drop 8 on first down if he is in the backfield....

Impressive game. His YAC was more than I expected; the first tackler didn't bring him down. Looked good for a solid 4 yards on any swing pass, and more if the second tackler didn't get there pretty quick. Good leg churn running up the middle. I think he gets PT this fall, frequently in dual back sets with Max. Just try to drop 8 on first down if he is in the backfield....
He'll serve as a decoy if nothing else. Supposedly the tendency last year was 50/50 run on 2 back packages. Combine that with the presence of some muscle and a couple decent inside runs early and the play action game that Oklahoma lives on comes open. And Woods will be a great target in that scenario

He's fun to watch. He blocks, catches and runs the ball well (important in this offense), and he has pretty good speed for his size/build. Not to mention, once he is handed the ball, he has a pretty quick initial burst without hesitation, and solid vision.

He's a hard nosed baller. He will play this year and destroy a few DB's/LB's along the way.

He will not get a meaningful handoff next year

You think the true freshman coming in will play? They may get some touches with the new 4 game redshirt rule.

We have 2 scholarship running backs currently on the roster that are likely to see action. Dubots switched from LB.

Harrington was #3 on the depth chart and he had 23 touches for 102 yards last year.

I'm not so sure, I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent amount of touches for Markoff, like Harrington. The "meaningful" part is the question.

You think the true freshman coming in will play? They may get some touches with the new 4 game redshirt rule.

We have 2 scholarship running backs currently on the roster that are likely to see action. Dubots switched from LB.

Harrington was #3 on the depth chart and he had 23 touches for 102 yards last year.

I'm not so sure, I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent amount of touches for Markoff, like Harrington. The "meaningful" part is the question.
Yes

I’m not sure I’d count any of Harrington’s touches as “meaningful”. I’d bet that about 18 of them were in mop-up duty.

Reactions: CougEd

Every year a walk-on gets snaps in the spring and everybody gets excited. Then that guy disappears in the fall.

Maybe Markoff gets some snaps. Maybe he doesn’t. What is certain is that the spring game doesn’t mean a whole lot in determining the depth chart for the first game of the season.

I’m not sure I’d count any of Harrington’s touches as “meaningful”. I’d bet that about 18 of them were in mop-up duty.

Yes, I agree. I'm not proclaiming he's going to be some every down, or regular back for us. I just think he's going to get some game reps and make a few plays for us this year. He knows the offense, and he's been consistent all spring, similar to what Harrington gave us last year as a third stringer.

Regardless, this is all for discussion sake. Bottom line is, Borghi is a stud and he will be fed often.

He will not get a meaningful handoff next year
Disagree. Spread em out in short yardage and roll the bowling ball right up the middle. Think about the critical 4th and inches we flubbed in the AC.

I was impressed with his vision. He sees the hole quickly and nobody is gonna stand him up one on one in the hole.

He won’t get a ton of carries but he will be used

Disagree. Spread em out in short yardage and roll the bowling ball right up the middle. Think about the critical 4th and inches we flubbed in the AC.

I was impressed with his vision. He sees the hole quickly and nobody is gonna stand him up one on one in the hole.

He won’t get a ton of carries but he will be used

Amen. Put him in on 3rd or 4th and short, regardless of whether a 1 or 2 back set, and it changes what the D has to do and brings a bit of a limit to the risks they can take.

As you implied, 90, it is hard to take on a bowling ball one on one at the LOS. You can limit the bowling ball's yards, but you can't shut him off. That is one reason why the game has had a fullback for over 100 years.

And maybe one play per game I could see Markoff actually leading through the hole ahead of Borghi. Think about what that would do to a D dropping 7 or 8.

I’m hopeful Markoff can crack the 3-deep at RB, but his speed is a big question mark. For those who say, good luck dropping 8 if he’s in the game, I’m not sure I agree. When we check to the run at the LOS, it’s typically a delayed run. Markoff doesn’t have the burst to pay that off. He needs to run downhill to be effective. No gimmicks. Straight run off tackle.

I’m hopeful Markoff can crack the 3-deep at RB, but his speed is a big question mark. For those who say, good luck dropping 8 if he’s in the game, I’m not sure I agree. When we check to the run at the LOS, it’s typically a delayed run. Markoff doesn’t have the burst to pay that off. He needs to run downhill to be effective. No gimmicks. Straight run off tackle.

With no TE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT