ADVERTISEMENT

Mastro gone...

Mastro was an excellent recruiter and coach, stymied by the head coach who wouldn’t incorporate his schemes and players as much as he should have. Mastro will make more money, and be more included in game planning/schemes. I subscribe to the notion things often get better when shake ups happen, so long as the coaches are somewhere near the same level. You got what you did out of one guy and get a whole new set of eyes. This can work out for all of us.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Salave'a brought in a lot of players, many who have been very good at WSU. I'm not sure what facts you are talking about. Phelps was a mediocre recruiter at Minnesota. I was not basing it on just the one year at WSU.

Recruiting is the most important part of being a coach. You can only coach up a player so much. You can be a mediocre on field coach, but if you have great players, it can make you look brilliant. For example, Tosh Lopoi is on Alabama's staff for his recruiting prowess.

Well I don't see any facts in your post either. "a lot of players"? The why are we so thin at DL? Should be loaded with great Juniors and Seniors. I can't comment on Phelps at Minnesota.

But no matter. I don't disagree on the need to be a good recruiter.

Reactions: Tx64
Here’s the deal, you could argue that all the rbs on the roster wouldn’t had been “good enough” to extend a scholarship at Oregon. Mastro extending offers to 2 Star Kids or a kid that blows his knee as a senior isnt happening in Eugene.

Well I don't see any facts in your post either. "a lot of players"? The why are we so thin at DL? Should be loaded with great Juniors and Seniors. I can't comment on Phelps at Minnesota.

But no matter. I don't disagree on the need to be a good recruiter.
I didn't think I had to list facts. If you followed Cougar football close enough, then you would already know all the players that he recruited.

Here https://247sports.com/Coach/Joe-Salavea-1502/AllTimeRecruits

Reactions: YakiCoug
My understanding is that his contract is for three years guaranteed with $475K to start. If correct then this is an intelligent move by Mastro (or his agent). Gives him some security even if Cristobal does not work out and time to move on if he does not care for the new HC. All moot if Cristobal is successful, of course.
Agreed. Damn near $1.5M guaranteed for three years is pretty nice. One at $375K... not so much.

A struggling program that has a disproportionate amount of money like Oregon is always going to be pain in the butt for neighboring schools with less money.

Not that familiar with the NW but they are starting to remind of A&M continually trying to find way to buy their success. Even the aggies are not as bad as these in guys have been in poaching non-coordinator assistants.

Really do not see it stopping until they somehow find some form of success. They are basically using Leach's network for him to identify coaching talent and they will poach it. If Leavitt would have left do not doubt for a minute they would have went hard after Grinch.

Reactions: BiggsCoug and Tx64
A struggling program that has a disproportionate amount of money like Oregon is always going to be pain in the butt for neighboring schools with less money.

Not that familiar with the NW but they are starting to remind of A&M continually trying to find way to buy their success. Even the aggies are not as bad as these in guys have been in poaching non-coordinator assistants.

Really do not see it stopping until they somehow find some form of success. They are basically using Leach's network for him to identify coaching talent and they will poach it. If Leavitt would have left do not doubt for a minute they would have went hard after Grinch.

They did hire Jim Leavitt from Colorado before this past season. The Pac 12 does seem to go after assistants often. WSU is not the only school that loses coaches. Michigan State, who beat the Cougars in a bowl game, lost two of their coaches to Willie Taggart and Florida State.

Broussard has health issues and recently resigned his HS gig. Hope he gets back to good health.

Salave'a brought in a lot of players, many who have been very good at WSU. I'm not sure what facts you are talking about. Phelps was a mediocre recruiter at Minnesota. I was not basing it on just the one year at WSU.

Recruiting is the most important part of being a coach. You can only coach up a player so much. You can be a mediocre on field coach, but if you have great players, it can make you look brilliant. For example, Tosh Lopoi is on Alabama's staff for his recruiting prowess.

I am not sure Salave'a was behind the Samoan recruiting. A high school coach from Hawaii, now the RB coach at the junior college that wanted a Samoan connection, was supposedly behind the Samoan recruiting for WSU. This is according to an article on another site. Has our recruiting come far enough that less chances are taken on in the future. I do think the talent evaluation has been excellent and Leach is getting what he can out of the players he is getting. I hope in the future WSU gets in on more and more four star prospects. (I know stars do not matter if you can not get four star recruits.) Four star recruits are, in theory, closer to being ready than two and three star recruits. Above all else we need a recruiter for this position. It could be a former player of Leach's.

I have looked at recruiters out of curiosity, I have most seen any recruiter that have out recruited their situation. If they are a have school they get have players, if they are at a have not school they struggle. They just do not struggle as much as other coaches in their situation. Again we need someone that loves recruiting.

Here’s the deal, you could argue that all the rbs on the roster wouldn’t had been “good enough” to extend a scholarship at Oregon. Mastro extending offers to 2 Star Kids or a kid that blows his knee as a senior isnt happening in Eugene.

Your right it is unlikely we will be recruiting against him.

I am not sure Salave'a was behind the Samoan recruiting. A high school coach from Hawaii, now the RB coach at the junior college that wanted a Samoan connection, was supposedly behind the Samoan recruiting for WSU. This is according to an article on another site. Has our recruiting come far enough that less chances are taken on in the future. I do think the talent evaluation has been excellent and Leach is getting what he can out of the players he is getting. I hope in the future WSU gets in on more and more four star prospects. (I know stars do not matter if you can not get four star recruits.) Four star recruits are, in theory, closer to being ready than two and three star recruits. Above all else we need a recruiter for this position. It could be a former player of Leach's.

I have looked at recruiters out of curiosity, I have most seen any recruiter that have out recruited their situation. If they are a have school they get have players, if they are at a have not school they struggle. They just do not struggle as much as other coaches in their situation. Again we need someone that loves recruiting.

If that were the case, WSU still would have been recruiting American Samoa. He was a contact that Salave'a used. Do not forget that Salave'as brother is a high school coach in American Samoa as well. Salave'a also brought in several players that were not from American Samoa that had nothing to do with that coach.

If that were the case, WSU still would have been recruiting American Samoa. He was a contact that Salave'a used. Do not forget that Salave'as brother is a high school coach in American Samoa as well. Salave'a also brought in several players that were not from American Samoa that had nothing to do with that coach.

The JC RB coach has been filling his school with Samoan recruits not WSU.

They did hire Jim Leavitt from Colorado before this past season. The Pac 12 does seem to go after assistants often. WSU is not the only school that loses coaches. Michigan State, who beat the Cougars in a bowl game, lost two of their coaches to Willie Taggart and Florida State.

There are one off deals all the time like with Taggart filling out his staff etc. However hard to deny that you have a pattern beyond that with Oregon going after Leach's assistants. 3 in 3 years is a pattern.

I do not think there is another pattern like that where one program poaches another program's assistants on a annual basis anywhere else in the country.

The JC RB coach has been filling his school with Samoan recruits not WSU.
I am not sure what you are getting at. Salave'a recruited many Samoan players to WSU. Keiki never recruited one player to WSU. Keiki has recruited a lot of players to Garden City. Keiki was a contact that WSU and Salave'a used, just like every coach has contacts with coaches.

WSU has had Samoan football players since the 1970's. The 'pipeline' did not begin nor end with Coach Joe.

There's this guy named Jack who still holds a bit of a legendary position in that culture.

I'm not sure that facts support Salave'a being an "excellent" recruiter. we've done OK since he left. I'm not sure that we can judge Phelps' recruiting prowess after one year.

I'm more concerned about coaching prowess. The more we win, the easier it gets to recruit.

Well, two guys he recruited- Vaeao and Luani are in the League, and Hercules is expected to get drafted too. Ekuale and Luvu had solid careers for us. Plenty of other guys he recruited have been or will be multiyear starters.

Reactions: Coug1990
WSU has had Samoan football players since the 1970's. The 'pipeline' did not begin nor end with Coach Joe.

There's this guy named Jack who still holds a bit of a legendary position in that culture.

Sure, but when was the last time WSU had an assistant coach who actually traveled to Samoa?

Well, two guys he recruited- Vaeao and Luani are in the League, and Hercules is expected to get drafted too. Ekuale and Luvu had solid careers for us. Plenty of other guys he recruited have been or will be multiyear starters.

My point was according to an article on a competitive site. They were suggesting hiring a former HS coach from Hawaii. He is now a JC RB coach in the US. They credited him for the above recruiting. When he moved to the US and started recruiting for his own school our pipeline dried up. Salave'a left us almost bare of DTs. If we are wanting almost unknowns out of AS, it is this coach that we need. Salave'a on his own was not the greatest recruiter.

Regardless, our next RB coach needs to be a great recruiter. Where do we want him to recruit.

I do not know what kind of recruiter Phelps will turn out to be, but he certainly has done more with less and I am glad WSU has him.

My point was according to an article on a competitive site. They were suggesting hiring a former HS coach from Hawaii. He is now a JC RB coach in the US. They credited him for the above recruiting. When he moved to the US and started recruiting for his own school our pipeline dried up. Salave'a left us almost bare of DTs. If we are wanting almost unknowns out of AS, it is this coach that we need. Salave'a on his own was not the greatest recruiter.

Regardless, our next RB coach needs to be a great recruiter. Where do we want him to recruit.

I do not know what kind of recruiter Phelps will turn out to be, but he certainly has done more with less and I am glad WSU has him.
Not a fan of this thought process. Papa Joe knowing someone to help point out kids to look at, is still a reflection on Papa Joe. It's about who you know. Papa Joe had to cultivate a relationship with this guy. Should we look at this guy to bring into the fold? SURE! But lets not take away what Papa Joe did for WSU.

The entire staff needs to be neck deep in Southern California. If WSU needs to be good at anything, it's recruiting Southern California. Not just for football either. All sports.

WSU would be wise to hire a recruiting staff that lived in SoCal and did nothing but gather film and transcripts on prospects of all sports. The better job you do finding athletes and evaluating them in SoCal, the better teams you'll have.

Just my two cents.

The entire staff needs to be neck deep in Southern California. If WSU needs to be good at anything, it's recruiting Southern California. Not just for football either. All sports.

WSU would be wise to hire a recruiting staff that lived in SoCal and did nothing but gather film and transcripts on prospects of all sports. The better job you do finding athletes and evaluating them in SoCal, the better teams you'll have.

Just my two cents.

It would be cheaper also. The question would be can we get the level of athletes we need against the competition. That said, I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT